Eurodam Negative Comments

GeriatricNurse

DW & I are booked with HAL on the Eurodam for an upcoming Canada/New England cruise.

After reading, what we would interpret as many negative comments on CC about various aspects of the Eurodam inaugural cruise, DW has become somewhat apprehensive & nervous about exactly what we may expect on our cruise!

Would someone, who has already cruised on the Eurodam, be so kind to list their positive experience(s) from their cruise!

Thank you very much.

Most of the neg. comments were about things that probably are ironed out by now. I'd go on it tomorrow if I could afford it! Have a positive attitude and enjoy.:D

"Most of the neg. comments were about things that probably are ironed out by now". Where ever did you get that from??

The biggest gripe from Rev. Neal (see his excellent thread)and others is that the public areas on the Eurodam were a little small for the number of passengers the ship holds. The Lido Restaurant in particular was seen as a nightmare at breakfast time. Trying to secure a seat in the vicinity of the buffet was a near impossibility it appeared. Many other negative comments tend to relate to crowding rather than the actual looks and décor of the ship. I have been on her and was very impressed with its very contemporary design.

To say that negative aspects of the comments will probably have been ironed out by now is far off the mark I would suggest. The training of crew to deal with a new ship's demands is an on going thing and should certainly only get better with time. However the feeling of an overcrowded dinning room is probably there to stay.

There are alternatives to breakfast in the Lido. One is the dining room and the other is room service. I felt that the Lido on other ships was crowded and more than I wanted to deal with before my coffee. Room service will deliver anything you want...hot and usually right on time.

We enjoyed the Eurodam very much. She's a fine ship. Yes, there are things that need some tweaking, but IMO they are not significant. I feel some posts have been much ado about nothing. I don't say that to disrespect the posters in any way ... I just don't see them as all that bad. Don't have any reservation about sailing this elegant new ship. Just go with the mindset that "it is what it is" and enjoy!

I asked RevNeal in another post on this board if he was disappointed in the Eurodam overall. He wisely stated that it depended on my previous feelings about HAL ships: example Vistas vs S and R class. To paraphrase the Bombastic Rev, it wasn't as "HAL" as he liked, compared to earlier HAL ships.

I've felt crowded in the Westerdam dining room as tables were placed pretty close together; it was not as close on Noordam. HAL's passenger to space ratio has always been very good. I saw that Eurodam rates a little lower (43) than other HAL ships. I believe that the S and R class ships are more spacious and have a more classic ocean liner feel.

A lot of what we're reading has much to do with these and other comparisons. I choose to believe, that standing on her own, as the newest ship in HAL's fleet, E'dam will do very well. Please remember that most of the guests on the inaugural were very seasoned Mariners and love and remember the "old" HAL aura. BTW, most of us hated the name from the gitgo; that's a factor also (and a pre-conditioned set-up, at least for me).

We are definitely NOT canceling our April transatlantic, and having sailed on every class HAL ship, am looking forward to experiencing the Signature class Eurodam. I'd say go with an open mind. Enjoy yourself and don't look for things to irritate yourselves. ENJOY!!

GN

I don't think any of the posts were negative to the point that it was horrible. There were some disappointments.

What I did read was some of those who have been on this ship did not come back with the rah, rah, some people may have expected.

"Most of the neg. comments were about things that probably are ironed out by now". Where ever did you get that from??

The biggest gripe from Rev. Neal (see his excellent thread)and others is that the public areas on the Eurodam were a little small for the number of passengers the ship holds. The Lido Restaurant in particular was seen as a nightmare at breakfast time. Trying to secure a seat in the vicinity of the buffet was a near impossibility it appeared. Many other negative comments tend to relate to crowding rather than the actual looks and décor of the ship. I have been on her and was very impressed with its very contemporary design.

To say that negative aspects of the comments will probably have been ironed out by now is far off the mark I would suggest. The training of crew to deal with a new ship's demands is an on going thing and should certainly only get better with time. However the feeling of an overcrowded dinning room is probably there to stay.

The key word here by many of the negative posts is seemed. People are posting what seems to be problems on the ship. Have all of these been confirmed in person?

That aside, Rev has posted some very good insight and I appreciate his taking the time to share such comprehensive information with everyone.

THAT aside, I found my experience on board to be exceptional and I would re-book Eurodam (and have!) I am taking my family on board in October and am more than confident that they will love it.

I personally did not have a problem finding a table in the Lido for any of the meals and did not feel shoved out by the Lido cabanas. BUT that is my interpretation and my own experience. Each set of eyes and ears has their own report.

I think it's good to have two sides of a coin and I'm just happening to share my perspective. In going through the 1000+ photos I took on Eurodam, she is magnificent and I look forward to going back aboard.

We are booked on Eurodam for an upcoming cruise and NOTHING I have read has diminished my excitement, let alone caused a thought toward opting out!

That said, our cruise on a Vista (Westerdam), while wonderful, was our least favorite ship due to size, not people per square inch.

I'll hold off on deciding until after...

Cheers

Mark

DW & I are booked with HAL on the Eurodam for an upcoming Canada/New England cruise.

After reading, what we would interpret as many negative comments on CC about various aspects of the Eurodam inaugural cruise, DW has become somewhat apprehensive & nervous about exactly what we may expect on our cruise!

Would someone, who has already cruised on the Eurodam, be so kind to list their positive experience(s) from their cruise!

Thank you very much.

One thing I would ask you...is to be sure and post a review of your experiences on the Eurodam...when you return. I would be interested to read your positives and negatives.

Your cruise will be wonderful...have a safe and happy vacation.

Thank you very much.

Please do not allow the negative reports that I, and others, have posted impact your cruise or cause you too much concern. As I have said elsewhere, and as others have pointed out, some of the remarks are based upon issues that either have already been corrected, are in the process of being corrected now, or will be corrected in the near future. This involves crew training, coordination, communications, and implementation of unified procedures. Those issues are all fixable, and I would expect that they are in the process of being fixed or have already been addressed. Certainly, by the time you board, the crew should be far more "up to speed" with each other than they could reasonably be expected to be on her first couple of cruises. Shake-down time is important, and I certainly understand that. Of the other issues, some of them are very important but relative to past experiences and expectations (the overcrowding and the noise issues) and some are particular to individual tastes and preferences. One must always weigh a review keeping in mind that people are different and they have different baggage which they bring to the experience and through which they filter the entire event. This goes for general passengers as well as for those who work for the Line.

All of this being said, allow me to offer up some of my positive remarks afresh. These have already been stated, but perhaps they were missed amidst the negatives?

1. I absolutely love the Silk Den and the Tamarind. They are spectacular additions to the Vista design, provide wonderful views forward and to port and starboard, provide a fantastic place to sit and chat over cocktails or mid-day drinks, and provide a wonderful meal with fabulous service. I give HAL an AAA+++ on this addition. Do NOT miss it.

2. I really liked the lay out of the Explorers Lounge over that found on the other Vistas. Rather than sub-dividing the chamber into two separate rooms -- one forward catering to the music, one aft catering to conversation -- they opened the space up creating the "feel" of a much larger room. The addition of the Bar, with little to divide it off from the rest of the room but a ramp and some seating-barriers, further extended this feel. It IS a larger space than found on the Vistas, and I really like this. It's a great place to sit and enjoy an after dinner brandy or port and listen to beautiful music.

3. The Ocean Bar continues the Noordam revision over the other Vistas, with the bar on the port side, a large dance floor, and music stand ... and a longer, non-smoking conversation area on the starboard side. I really like this set up.

4. The Crows Nest has been converted into a piano lounge with, most evenings, a dedicated pianist who plays a very nice amalgam of music that is perfect as background for conversation over drinks and for taking in the lovely views. In Europe, where the sun doesn't set ... or doesn't set until after midnight ... this is a good set up. I'm not sure how it will work in the Caribbean, when it gets dark earlier than midnight. However, as far as it goes, the Crows Nest is a nice, quiet, conversation-oriented piano lounge, and I Liked it ... liked it enough that I, and my cruising companions, spent quite a lot of time up there before processing down to the Norther Lights for late-night dancing.

5. The Northern Lights is really nice ... I much prefer the opening up of the chamber by removing the wall on which the display screens had been placed (on the Vistas). Putting the Bar against the forward wall really helps. At first I didn't think I'd like the non-substantial seating areas (drapes instead of the back of seats), but I actually did like it.

6. Using the Queens Lounge as a dance hall for big-band style dance music as well as smaller shows is also an improvement, and certainly a better use for the space than as a movie theather.

7. The dedicated movie Theater is also very nice, with very nice seating. I liked it, and watched one film there. I would like to take a cruise with more sea days so I could use it more.

8. The Sports Bar's reconfiguration is far superior to that found on the Vistas. It opens the space up and makes it feel as if it were larger than dividing it into two rooms. I liked the space, even though it was smoking (and one could smell the smoke residue).

9. I didn't spend much time there, but he Piano bar is nice as far as spaces go ... it's much like the Piano Bar on the Noordam, and I really liked that area. Having a true Piano BAR ... with people gathered around the Piano in bar seats, is GREAT ... much better than the Piano Lounge set up on my beloved R Class ships.

10. I really liked the new seats in the Mainstage show lounge, although the "coin return" doo-hickies that are supposed to hold drinks are a bit weird. These seats have given the ship what the staff is calling the "Eurodam THUMP." You'll know what I'm talking about the first time you're sitting in the lounge and the shore excursions people announce "Red 2 can now proceed to the forward gangway" and people start to get up. THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP ......

11. The forward observation deck on Deck 5 Forward. One of the deficits of a Vista is that the forward Bow is not easy to reach for passengers (unlike on the S and Rs, where it is). One has to go through the OB to get to it, hence it's off limits to passengers on most cruises (except where scenic cruising in Alaska, the Panama Canal, and (I'm sure) Antarctica demand the deck space be opened to "the cones." The Eurodam solves that problem by providing a forward bow observation area on deck 5-forward. For safety purposes it's only open during scenic cruising and during port arrivals and departures (the winds can be too high while at sea), however during such times it's a VERY nice place to visit. I highly recommend it (I need to add photos of it to my ship tour!!!)

12. The addition of the topside restaurant and lounge (Silk Den and Tamarind) has also added a significantly sized additional outdoor area for sun-worshippers, etc. Just above Club HAL, I'm sure it won't ever be considered a "topless deck," however it's great for tanning one's leather or enjoying the fresh air on a lovely sea day.

13. The "Slice" on the aft lido deck ... a GREAT pizza place open until midnight.

14. The addition of the Canaletto. The food there is great, but I would wish they would publish the menus so one could choose the night one wants to book so-as to ensure one gets the meal one wants. The food was fabulous, the service mixed. I fear it won't remain "no-extra-charge" for long, however. It's popularity varied, but I really liked the food choices.

15. The Lido Restaurant Chairs. They are wide, solid, and comfortable, and the backs go up high enough so that one -- like me, with a long torso -- doesn't feel top-heavy seated in it. They are a major improvement over the butt-vices found on the S and Rs.

16. The larger shops made for a less-congested shopping experience over that found on the Vistas or the S and Rs. However, I would much rather some of that shopping space be taken up by the Explorations Cafe rather than shoe-horning Explorations Cafe into too small of space up on the Observation Deck forward/Starboard side. Nevertheless, given that this is how they've decided to configure the Eurodam, the shopping area is large and nice. I like how they rotated things around there by themes and according to ports; there was always something new to look at.

17. The Pinnacle Grill is nicely appointed, very similar to the other Vistas. I didn't find the noise to be the problem that some others did ... and I found the food to be excellent.

18. My cabin steward was efficient, quick, and did an EXCELLENT job. He wasn't chatty, but he didn't have time to chat and chatting wasn't his job.

19. The waiters on the second 10-days were trying very hard to do their jobs well, but there simply were not enough of them ... they were stretched too thin. This became obvious on those port days when a lot of passengers were off the ship at dinner time and the staff didn't have to stretch themselves to meet their table-loads. They were able to do their jobs, as trained, and they did them well. We had several mishaps at our table, but those were not their fault.

20. Wireless internet access even in the cabins. Even though this is supposed to be available on all ships, it's not always good enough to reach every cabin. My cabin, however, had a very strong internet connection, which made access the internet to post reports here on CC that much easier.

21. I liked the color scheme in my outside cabin. The cherry-colored wood veiner was very nice. I also liked the addition of a second US-cycle plug at the desk. HAL cabins have always been under-powered, but this is a nice addition. Maybe, someday, they'll add a plug near the bed?

22. The bathtub side was not too high to get over ... it was well-sized.

23. The ship had a large, varied DVD collection in the Explorations Cafe for check-out to take to one's cabin for viewing.

24. The gym is nicely sized with plenty of equipment, including free-weights.

25. We didn't have much in the way of high seas, either in the North Sea or the Baltic Sea, but what little we did have the ship took VERY nicely and quite smoothly. I imagine, like the other Vistas, she'll be a good performer in high seas. There is almost NO undue vibration from propulsion, no matter where one is seated in the main dining room (no rattling silver wear)!

I hope these positives, gathered together, help?

Well stated, but I would like to amplify that a bit. Firstly, the space issue in the Lido. On port days, if one ate breakfast after shore excursions began, one would almost certainly not find it difficult to find a place to sit. On the few occasions where such was the case for me, it was easy to sit and eat breakfast ... even at 7:45 or 8 am. The problem developed on sea days, in the early/mid portion of breakfast, when the largest group of people were going through lines and trying to sit and eat. I found the best option, at those times, was to go AFT and try to get a seat outdoors under the cover. That was actually nice. Also, when trying to get an EARLY breakfast prior to shore excursions I discovered that a lot of other people had the same idea. :) In short, it had to do with WHEN one was trying to eat and what was going on with shore excursions and wether or not it was a sea day. Most of those who have reported little to no problems finding a place to sit tend to be later eaters (RuthC) or people who were trying to eat on port days when the ship was mostly evacuated. When I ate at such times I found the Lido seating to be more than adequate. As the cruises wore on I adjusted my own schedule and my own expectations and found it much easier to find a place to sit and eat (i.e., no more 8 am breakfasts on sea days).

4. The Crows Nest has been converted into a piano lounge with, most evenings, a dedicated pianist who plays a very nice amalgam of music that is perfect as background for conversation over drinks and for taking in the lovely views. In Europe, where the sun doesn't set ... or doesn't set until after midnight ... this is a good set up. I'm not sure how it will work in the Caribbean, when it gets dark earlier than midnight. However, as far as it goes, the Crows Nest is a nice, quiet, conversation-oriented piano lounge, and I Liked it ... liked it enough that I, and my cruising companions, spent quite a lot of time up there before processing down to the Norther Lights for late-night dancing.

We had this on our 10 day Mexican Riviera cruise back in Oct. Mr. Gizmo and I liked it very much. We usually go to the Ocean Bar, but after 2 nights of music that we couldn't take much longer, we decided to try the Crows Nest. We spent the rest of cruise there for pre dinner cocktails.

It worked for the Mexican Riveria and it will work for the Caribbean. :)

I have read all of the comments made on these boards and frankly they have made me even more excited about our sailing on Eurodam in February. I've never been on a "new" ship...and even though she'll be a few months old when we go I will still consider her new.

Each person observes differently...and some things are fact while some are perception. It is up to each person to read everything and know that no matter how much you read, the experience is still whatever you make of it. If there is an area that seems crowded to you, then you always have other options. If something is bothering you, then you either step up and say something or sit back and let it continue to bother you...we all deal with things in our own way.

I must say that I am surprised that there aren't a few "pre" cruises that are run without passengers to allow the crew a sail or two to become accustomed to the ship. Perhaps there are and we do not know about them, but if this were the case I would imagine that some of the service issues would have been ironed out prior to passengers embarking on the ship.

I have just quietly observed all of the posts from the inaugural and first sailing and am SO incredibly glad that everyone took their precious time while onboard (and still now) to keep us all informed. I'm currently going through "RevNeal Live" withdrawal. I certainly know that I wouldn't be as incredibly generous with my time as these folks have been while on such an exciting voyage...I would wait until I got home to post and then would probably forget half of what I wanted to say.

I know that no matter what I hear being said about Eurodam, short of a "Poseidon" type event, I will be there in February and thanks to everyone here I will have a great idea of what to see.

Best wishes to everyone on their future Eurodam sailings!!!! :)

Greg--

I have to say that I agree with you - but up to a point.

Yes, I believe that the Silk Den and Tamarind are exceptional additions - However I also noticed that they also eliminated the Wok in favor of moving the taco bar indoors to make room for the Lido cabanas and seating, so no stir-fry for lunch - which for me having a wheat sensitivity eliminated my preferred lunch choices.

Can't say that I have an opinion of the Explorers Lounge one way or another since I think I wandered through only once or twice.

I do enjoy the layout of the Ocean Bar and the entertainment was quite good - hopefully the staffing problems will be resolved soon.

I also loved the Crow's Nest - or at least what's left of it. Having the pianist up there was perfect, but perhaps they need only two guys serving up there rather than 3 as it gets later in the evening and send one down to one of the other venues.

I did like the openness of the Northern Lights and the projection system - but I still don't think that the ottoman seating is a good idea.

The use of the Queens Lounge for cabaret is much more appropriate - I'd hope that this carries though on all Vistas.

I have no opinion on the theatre itself, but I still believe that the Exploration's Cafe would be better in that location - or at least a proper Library.

Sports Bar & Piano Bar - Agree.

Showlounge - Disagree, probably because I'm only 5'9 guy and the armrests are much too high for me. The glassholders have already caused accidents and spillage from folks knocking glasses out of them, and the lightboxes ringing the balcony block views from the seats up there unless you lean forward in your seat or are taller than I.

Deck 5 Forward and roof of Tamarind - Yes.

Slice - It seems that having a pizza place (which is a Kid's favorite food) at what is to be the "Adult Pool" is poor planning.

Canoletto - I was unimpressed, but I'm spoiled for authentic Italian here in SF.

Lido Chairs - No opinion.

Giftshops - A huge improvement, both space-wise and merchandising. No more "Gold By the Yard"!

Pinnacle - No opinion as I never dined there aboard Eurodam, but I did find the ornate tufted Victorian armchairs that appeared to be dipped in purple rubber rather odd.

Steward - Our Mr Eko is a gem!

Dining Room Waiters - Major staffing problems here - simply not enough bodies serving food or drink.

Wireless - As good as I had on Volendam and Noordam

Stateroom color schemes and materials - I'm on record as saying that with the exception of the tables on the verandahs, it's a vast improvement.

DVD's & Gym - Who has time to watch a movie or go to the gym on a cruise? (I'd rather take a nap or a bath)

Mechanical - I think it remains to be seen how the ship performs at service speeds, but the Captain seems to think that she does rather well. In addition, this was the first cruise I've been on where there were no creaks and groans from the cabinetry, walls, etc. - possibly due to the greater structural rigidity of the ship with the additional midship structure. Of course, there are significant plumbing problems - including drainage problems in the aft staterooms above us, as we heard repair-work being done as we were underway.

Neptune - I've found that the concierges are truly the most friendly, kind and helpful people I've encountered, and the ladies aboard Eurodam are no exception.

Room Service - Except for the morning of disembarcation in Copenhagen, Breakfast always arrived hot, on time and with sufficient condiments - Big Improvement from years past. On the other hand, when we ordered dinner in on the night we decided not to go down for dinner, we had some communication issues and confusion with the dessert menu that was delivered vs. what the Dining Room was serving (they ended up getting our desserts off the menu that was delivered, eventually) and a lack of cutlery being delivered.

HI,

Just got home on MONDAY from the EURODAM.

We would not sail on her again, i would rather sail on the other HAL ships.

I will try and write more this week when i get caught up on everything.

JIM

After all the so called 'good talk' of Rev and Brian and others, the underlying truth remains.. the ship is a disaster

I don't think I would let the reviews of the Eurodam to date determine if I will sail her or not. All of the posts from the Eurodam have mentioned good and not so good things - but they are just observations. What is important to one person may not be important to me. I rate my cruise experience on the overall experience. Lido crowding is not an issue to me because I don't go on a cruise to eat buffet. I don't care about the cabanas because I don't intend to rent one. HAL is known for their excellent service - so I would expect service issues will be worked out.

Just as I wouldn't book a cruise because of glowing accolades - talk about setting yourself up for disappointment; I wouldn't not select a cruise based on observations that are less than steller on inaugural cruises.

Although the larger ships are not my cup of tea, I will sail Eurodam at least once to give it a try.

We think that we are responsible for our own enjoyment. We all spend far too much money on a cruise vacation to stay upset/angry basically ruining the experience while we grumble the time away.

No cruise is ever perfect. If our expectations are unrealistic enough to hold any line to that standard, then shame on us.

Our best 2 cruises to date, one, a 35 day rt transatlantic had many ups and downs. We saw people pounding on the front desk, we had internet and communication issues, yucky wilted salads on many nights, an overabundance of broccoli (it was everywhere including the floral arrangements), minor equipment breakdowns including the latte machine, and fog for 30 out of 35 days, AND we loved it. We shared it with wonderful friends (old and new), and even joked with the officers and captain about the "cruise from Hell" as the bridge was privately labeling it.

It's still at the top of our list.

The second, a recent 11 day Noordam out of NY that was almost flawless.

Notice that, I remembered the yuck and didn't extole the marvelous ship, crew, service and experiences on Noordam that have made her our favorite ship, just took the good stuff for granted.

We did occasionally gripe about the wilted lettuce and lack of latte on the Rotterdam in 2004. But we took the stairs in Torshavn when the elevator and electricity were out, had a good time on shore, and came back to a well-lighted ship. The only real grumbling we did was when we had to get off in New York.

How blessed we were to be able to spend 35 days on a HAL ship!!

Now, with my health in jeopardy, I'm praying that we'll be able to take our scheduled Eurodam trip in April, crowded public rooms and all.

Thanks for listening.

GN

Please do not allow the negative reports that I, and others, have posted impact your cruise or cause you too much concern. As I have said elsewhere, and as others have pointed out, some of the remarks are based upon issues that either have already been corrected, are in the process of being corrected now, or will be corrected in the near future. This involves crew training, coordination, communications, and implementation of unified procedures. Those issues are all fixable, and I would expect that they are in the process of being fixed or have already been addressed. Certainly, by the time you board, the crew should be far more "up to speed" with each other than they could reasonably be expected to be on her first couple of cruises. Shake-down time is important, and I certainly understand that. Of the other issues, some of them are very important but relative to past experiences and expectations (the overcrowding and the noise issues) and some are particular to individual tastes and preferences. One must always weigh a review keeping in mind that people are different and they have different baggage which they bring to the experience and through which they filter the entire event. This goes for general passengers as well as for those who work for the Line.

All of this being said, allow me to offer up some of my positive remarks afresh. These have already been stated, but perhaps they were missed amidst the negatives?

1. I absolutely love the Silk Den and the Tamarind. They are spectacular additions to the Vista design, provide wonderful views forward and to port and starboard, provide a fantastic place to sit and chat over cocktails or mid-day drinks, and provide a wonderful meal with fabulous service. I give HAL an AAA+++ on this addition. Do NOT miss it.

2. I really liked the lay out of the Explorers Lounge over that found on the other Vistas. Rather than sub-dividing the chamber into two separate rooms -- one forward catering to the music, one aft catering to conversation -- they opened the space up creating the "feel" of a much larger room. The addition of the Bar, with little to divide it off from the rest of the room but a ramp and some seating-barriers, further extended this feel. It IS a larger space than found on the Vistas, and I really like this. It's a great place to sit and enjoy an after dinner brandy or port and listen to beautiful music.

3. The Ocean Bar continues the Noordam revision over the other Vistas, with the bar on the port side, a large dance floor, and music stand ... and a longer, non-smoking conversation area on the starboard side. I really like this set up.

5. The Northern Lights is really nice ... I much prefer the opening up of the chamber by removing the wall on which the display screens had been placed (on the Vistas). Putting the Bar against the forward wall really helps. At first I didn't think I'd like the non-substantial seating areas (drapes instead of the back of seats), but I actually did like it.

6. Using the Queens Lounge as a dance hall for big-band style dance music as well as smaller shows is also an improvement, and certainly a better use for the space than as a movie theather.

7. The dedicated movie Theater is also very nice, with very nice seating. I liked it, and watched one film there. I would like to take a cruise with more sea days so I could use it more.

8. The Sports Bar's reconfiguration is far superior to that found on the Vistas. It opens the space up and makes it feel as if it were larger than dividing it into two rooms. I liked the space, even though it was smoking (and one could smell the smoke residue).

9. I didn't spend much time there, but he Piano bar is nice as far as spaces go ... it's much like the Piano Bar on the Noordam, and I really liked that area. Having a true Piano BAR ... with people gathered around the Piano in bar seats, is GREAT ... much better than the Piano Lounge set up on my beloved R Class ships.

10. I really liked the new seats in the Mainstage show lounge, although the "coin return" doo-hickies that are supposed to hold drinks are a bit weird. These seats have given the ship what the staff is calling the "Eurodam THUMP." You'll know what I'm talking about the first time you're sitting in the lounge and the shore excursions people announce "Red 2 can now proceed to the forward gangway" and people start to get up. THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP ......

11. The forward observation deck on Deck 5 Forward. One of the deficits of a Vista is that the forward Bow is not easy to reach for passengers (unlike on the S and Rs, where it is). One has to go through the OB to get to it, hence it's off limits to passengers on most cruises (except where scenic cruising in Alaska, the Panama Canal, and (I'm sure) Antarctica demand the deck space be opened to "the cones." The Eurodam solves that problem by providing a forward bow observation area on deck 5-forward. For safety purposes it's only open during scenic cruising and during port arrivals and departures (the winds can be too high while at sea), however during such times it's a VERY nice place to visit. I highly recommend it (I need to add photos of it to my ship tour!!!)

12. The addition of the topside restaurant and lounge (Silk Den and Tamarind) has also added a significantly sized additional outdoor area for sun-worshippers, etc. Just above Club HAL, I'm sure it won't ever be considered a "topless deck," however it's great for tanning one's leather or enjoying the fresh air on a lovely sea day.

13. The "Slice" on the aft lido deck ... a GREAT pizza place open until midnight.

14. The addition of the Canaletto. The food there is great, but I would wish they would publish the menus so one could choose the night one wants to book so-as to ensure one gets the meal one wants. The food was fabulous, the service mixed. I fear it won't remain "no-extra-charge" for long, however. It's popularity varied, but I really liked the food choices.

15. The Lido Restaurant Chairs. They are wide, solid, and comfortable, and the backs go up high enough so that one -- like me, with a long torso -- doesn't feel top-heavy seated in it. They are a major improvement over the butt-vices found on the S and Rs.

16. The larger shops made for a less-congested shopping experience over that found on the Vistas or the S and Rs. However, I would much rather some of that shopping space be taken up by the Explorations Cafe rather than shoe-horning Explorations Cafe into too small of space up on the Observation Deck forward/Starboard side. Nevertheless, given that this is how they've decided to configure the Eurodam, the shopping area is large and nice. I like how they rotated things around there by themes and according to ports; there was always something new to look at.

17. The Pinnacle Grill is nicely appointed, very similar to the other Vistas. I didn't find the noise to be the problem that some others did ... and I found the food to be excellent.

18. My cabin steward was efficient, quick, and did an EXCELLENT job. He wasn't chatty, but he didn't have time to chat and chatting wasn't his job.

19. The waiters on the second 10-days were trying very hard to do their jobs well, but there simply were not enough of them ... they were stretched too thin. This became obvious on those port days when a lot of passengers were off the ship at dinner time and the staff didn't have to stretch themselves to meet their table-loads. They were able to do their jobs, as trained, and they did them well. We had several mishaps at our table, but those were not their fault.

20. Wireless internet access even in the cabins. Even though this is supposed to be available on all ships, it's not always good enough to reach every cabin. My cabin, however, had a very strong internet connection, which made access the internet to post reports here on CC that much easier.

21. I liked the color scheme in my outside cabin. The cherry-colored wood veiner was very nice. I also liked the addition of a second US-cycle plug at the desk. HAL cabins have always been under-powered, but this is a nice addition. Maybe, someday, they'll add a plug near the bed?

22. The bathtub side was not too high to get over ... it was well-sized.

23. The ship had a large, varied DVD collection in the Explorations Cafe for check-out to take to one's cabin for viewing.

24. The gym is nicely sized with plenty of equipment, including free-weights.

25. We didn't have much in the way of high seas, either in the North Sea or the Baltic Sea, but what little we did have the ship took VERY nicely and quite smoothly. I imagine, like the other Vistas, she'll be a good performer in high seas. There is almost NO undue vibration from propulsion, no matter where one is seated in the main dining room (no rattling silver wear)!

I hope these positives, gathered together, help?

RevNeal:

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

DW & I appreciate all the "positives" that you have indicated!

We look forward to our upcoming Canada/New England cruise & will post our experiences on CC shortly after our return.

Archived