What Should Oceania Change - That Is Cost Effective

billie5

Does anyone care to give suggestions on what needs to be changed on Oceania? I would recommend, however, that suggestions be cost effective: possible at very little cost, or perhaps no cost. Obviously, there are many things which can be done at considerable expense to the cruise line, but that then becomes a business decision. What can be done to improve the experience at relatively little expense?

Having just returned from a fantastic Athens to Instanbul cruise aboard the Nautica, I will begin.

Please, Oceania, recognize that low fat diets (or, more correctly, low saturated fat diets) have become a more pressing issue for upper age groups than even low sugar diets. Oceania is very sensitive to the diabetes, pre-diabetes low sugar issue, indicating on their menus low sugar choices, always having a low sugar ice cream available, etc. But, outside of the vegetarian meal, nothing is done to assist those with the many coronary diseases which demand low saturated fat.

Oceania, how about at least some low fat or fat free salad dressings (other than balsamic, which might at least be low in fat, but even this is unclear)? I asked the chefs about this, and their reply was very unsatisfactory. They insisted that Oceania wanted to maintain their high level of food quality, so they did not want to purchase any fat free salad dressings. But it is not difficult for any decent chef to make low fat and even fat free dressings, ranch, french, italian, even blue cheese. Since they are willing to make low sugar desserts, why not at least make their own low fat dressings. (Or compromise and purchase them -- and save lives)

Of course, Oceania could do a great deal more, indicating a low fat choice on their menus, for example, but low fat, or even better, fat free salad dressing would be a start, very much appreciated by the many older passengers with some form of coronary disease or cholesterol problem. And the expense would be minimal.

Please, Oceania, recognize that low fat diets (or, more correctly, low saturated fat diets) have become a more pressing issue for upper age groups than even low sugar diets. Oceania is very sensitive to the diabetes, pre-diabetes low sugar issue, indicating on their menus low sugar choices, always having a low sugar ice cream available, etc. But, outside of the vegetarian meal, nothing is done to assist those with the many coronary diseases which demand low saturated fat.

Just curious

Did you requests options ahead of time or just wait till you got to the table?

Lyn

Actually, I tried every option I could think of. I asked the wait staff, I talked with the maitre d'. I talked with the ice cream people. (Some companies are making scrumptious fat-free no-sugar-added ice cream now -- what a great addition to the ice cream bar this would be) And I spoke up at the chef demonstration, where there were several chefs making the presentation. I also asked on the mid-cruise evaluation form. I know Oceania reads all those mid-cruise forms, and even calls people for whom they have a response (Several CCers were called). And I asked at Horizons.

I picked fat free salad dressing as the focus of my suggestion, and my requests on the cruise, because individuals attempting to limit their fat intake are more likely to choose salads -- for example, for lunch. Also, it is a problem which is likely to affect a significant number of cruisers. In fact, several individuals came up to me after the cooking demonstration to thank me for my questions. And it is so easy (and inexpensive) to solve.

Bill

We had friends that required sodium & nut free food options it was no problem for O to accommodate them

They were given a menu the night before & checked off what they wanted.

At meal time they just told the waiter their cabin number & the meals were presented along with the rest of the table. Sodium & nut free.

We did have the zero zero ice cream on all our cruises

Have they eliminated that option??

You could have also had your TA submit special requests

This from their website

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_MainContentPage.aspx?PageUID=057f1db6-2af9-43ee-880d-06ac5af60233&Secure=True

Oceania Cruises will make every attempt to accommodate special dietary requests. All requests must be made in writing through your travel agent or directly with Oceania Cruises at least 60 days prior to your departure.

Now to your question

A shuttle in some ports into town would be a great addition for free or a nominal fee.

I do not think $20. for a 10 minute ride is nominal, when the taxi fare is $3-4 . for the same trip.

A gentleman that we shared a table with in Polo told us that his TA submitted his dietary request when he made final payment. He spoke to the Maitre D as he was seated. They had prepared his meal as requested. I know that O can handle special requests as long as the information is conveyed ahead of time.

Are you requesting that lo-fat or no-fat be handled as a regular part of the menu?

I felt that when I wanted to I was easily able to follow a low fat (and low carb) diet on my two week Oceania cruise this past spring. I had salad with just a few drops of balsamic dressing. I ate alot of fish and steamed vegetables, plain rice or plain potatoes. Sometimes I went of my diet if there was something I really wanted and I did eat desserts. But I didn't gain much weight at all. I had really nice whole grain bread at breakfast. I looked and looked and found it where they made the toast for you. It was behind the counter.

In fact, I knew the "no fat free" problem on Oceania, so I brought packets of my own fat free salad dressing. (And one dinner was seated with another gentlemen who had done the same) However, low saturated fat concerns are so huge with older clients that I am proposing Oceania needs to address it.

I also had lots of fish to eat, but salad is as basic as it gets when avoiding fats, and the lack of fat free dressing is, in my opinion, is a problem which would be inexpensive to fix. Balsamic was, apparently, the only low fat choice available in the dining rooms, but other options need to be available. They seem to be on every other cruise line I have been on.

Internet and bottled water/soft drinks are both profit items for Oceania. Changing these policies would be money which would need to be made up elsewhere. Higher fares? I hope the point of this thread will be to come up with suggestions which do not much affect cash flow.

Bill

AussieGal, funny we, who almost never add salt to our food,found the food on our last two cruises on Regatta to be totally unsalted. I believe you will find it different from ship to ship and maybe even from cruise to cruise. But, we agree, too much salt would turn us off also.:confused:

AussieGal, funny we, who almost never add salt to our food,found the food on our last two cruises on Regatta to be totally unsalted.

I agree

I did not find it salty ...usually I swell up but not on the Regatta.

I did not find things high in fat either except the usual like ice cream & desserts:D

Lyn

I second this request. A shuttle bus to take passengers into the nearest town for those who wish to tour on our own without charging an outrageous fee.

Hear hear!

Celebrity did that every time we travelled with them.

Except in the commercial docks in St. Petersburg, where they had the Russian Mafia to contend with! So it was 10-15 bucks Mafia taxi fare in a beat-up old Lada to travel one mile to the dock gates........

I also agree that cheap shuttle buses are needed. Even if the bus service were made revenue neutral -- i.e., they should pay for themselves -- it would be a great benefit for customers. Of course, the private taxis would hate it, but I would hope this will be of no concern to Oceania.

LHT28, it is not that the meals were high in fat. You are evidently fortunate not to need a very low saturated fat diet, as is now recommended for all individuals at risk of cardiovascular disease: usually less than 10 grams saturated fat per day. That is tough to achieve, even with healthy looking meals, without some active intervention. One serving of the delicious (yes, I did try a tiny taste) extra creamy Oceania ice cream, with or without added sugar, would make that goal impossible. A typical serving of salad dressing, ranch, ceasar, french, is likely to have 2 to 3, or more, grams of saturated fat, which, with a 10 gram limit, does have a significant impact. Even your recommended fish dinners can add up rather quickly when the daily limit is so low; hence the necessity of sticking to salads, for example, for lunch. (For what it is worth, "very low" saturated fat diets are now regarded as more effective than "low" saturated fat or total fat diets.)

I believe that your comment on things not seeming high in fat is a misconception of the requirements for the large number of individuals with coronary concerns. I hope this makes it clearer why I believe a choice of nonfat salad dressings, a virtually cost-free addition by Oceania, could make a significant difference.

Bill

LHT28, it is not that the meals were high in fat. You are evidently fortunate not to need a very low saturated fat diet, as is now recommended for all individuals at risk of cardiovascular disease: usually less than 10 grams saturated fat per day.

I believe that your comment on things not seeming high in fat is a misconception of the requirements for the large number of individuals with coronary concerns. I hope this makes it clearer why I believe a choice of nonfat salad dressings, a virtually cost-free addition by Oceania, could make a significant difference.

Bill

Not correct...I do need to be on a low fat low sodium diet but I do splurge out on vacation sometimes.

If worried you can ask in advance for them to cook your meal without butter/fat ask for steamed vegetables, no sauces etc...just do not wait till you are sitting at the table to ask.

Lyn

Archived