Medical Question

This is a question I hoped I would never have had to ask but now I do. My wife is a breast cancer survivor and we just recently learned that her cancer is back. We have a Oct. 6th cruise on the Majesty booked. It is likely she will start chemo before the cruise. Just wondering if anyone out there has under gone chemo before cruising and how did it affect you. We have cruised twice and had no problem with sea sickness, but not sure how chemo will affect sea sickness. Skipping the cruise is not an option for her, she has been so looking forward to this cruise. Thanks for any replys that I get.

I cruised with my mother when she was undergoing chemo for cancer. She timed the cruise so it wouldn't compromise her chemo schedule. She had no problems related to her cancer or chemo. She had a great time. It did not make her more prone to seasickness.

God Bless her and your family. Cancer is the ugliest word in our language. I wish you all well.

Hi

Sorry to hear about the reoccurence of the cancer.

As a former Oncology nurse they will probably switch up her Chemo which could have side effects. I know our patients swore by Sea- Bands even though they were not a ship for nausea and you could always try the preventive measure of taking something like bonine the night before and the first night and if she does not need it that is great.

This will be a wait and see situation. Most important enjoy the cruise!

There are some very good prescription medications for nausea from medical conditions such as you describe. I would suggest you talk with her doctor regarding this as a possibilty.

We had great success controlling my mother's nausea with one of these prescriptions for nausea. These are not the typical medications you hear of for people with motion nausea, but specifically geared toward nausea as a side effect of a medical condition or medical treatment. There can be extremely expensive, but are typically covered under health insurance.

We took our son on his first cruise in the middle of his chemo treatment in December 06. The Dr's scheduled it so it would be his "off" week and he tolerated everything just fine. We kind of up'ed the hand washing ect just because his immune system was surpressed, but nothing went wrong or was even any harder then at home.

That being said we were very lucky becuase our son(12 years old)tolerated chemo extremely well.

Good luck and have fun on the cruise!:)

My concern would be her inability to fight off infection, should she come into contact with something nasty.:(

I'm worried about this too. You should certainly talk to her oncologist and decide what preventative measures to take for nausea AND infection.

God bless you both and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

I hope it all goes well and she has a wonderful time

my lymphoma is back but so far no tumour and its in one node so for me they are doing a ct scan again in October and bone marrow biopsy to determined if same lymphoma or a different one meanwhile after stressing for 2 months I will be on my only Alaska cruise Sept 13 and outr first as Diamond members

Cancer is such a scarey word is her cancer aggressive or could tehy wait til the week later to start chemo I was going to ask my oncologist that when he said no tumour yet need more test and it wont be til October I was just thrilled my cruise is ok and safe to go on forgetting for the moment that the cancer is looming

I praying for her and me both hugs

Thanks to all that have responded. We see the oncologist ob Wed. and find out the treatment plan. Just keep us in your prayers. We love cruising and have had two wonderful cruises already and plan for this one to be one too. Once again thanks to all.

Just wanted to tell you that although being a healthcare professional and understand the importance of a recurrance as well as I am sure you are, just remember:

YOU BEAT IT ONCE, GO DO IT AGAIN!

...............AND JUST ENJOY THE CRUISE ALONG THE WAY AS PART MOTIVATION AS YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!

My hat off to you--you are a true hero, go fight cancer!;)

L'Louise

There are some very good prescription medications for nausea from medical conditions such as you describe. I would suggest you talk with her doctor regarding this as a possibilty.

We had great success controlling my mother's nausea with one of these prescriptions for nausea. These are not the typical medications you hear of for people with motion nausea, but specifically geared toward nausea as a side effect of a medical condition or medical treatment. There can be extremely expensive, but are typically covered under health insurance.

Just a fair warning, several of these also knock you out better than any sleeping pill could, so it might be worth looking into the other sort for a vacation.

Chiming in to wish your wife and you the best.

This is something your wife and a doctor should discuss...but my prayers go out to her, too.

This is really the best advice...

"Chemo" is a generic term. There are many different types of chemo drugs. Different chemo regimens are given for the different cancers. None of us could really tell the OP how his wife may react because we don't know which drug(s) she will be taking, how high the doses, or how many treatments she will have had by then. Many of the side effects are cumulative.

I know the OP was just kind of wondering aloud and didn't expect exact answers. Although many of us can tell our own chemo stories (my husband just finished 8 months of chemo last week THANK GOD), there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to chemotherapy.

OP good luck to your wife as she fights the fight and good luck to you as well as you support her through it.

Talk with your wifes oncologist. Treatment regimens are very varied. Some cause no nausea or other side effects and others have many side effects and lots of nausea. That being said...there are numerous anti - nausea drugs on the market. These are called "anti - emetics". We treat every "body" differently because every cancer and persons bodily reaction to cancer (and its treatment)is different.

You have not said when she will be starting treatment or when your cruise is to be. Many MDs can be flexible in scheduling treatment around important events. Obviously your wife wants beating this disease to be her number one priority but quality of life is just as important. Discuss all these elements with your MD.

Good luck to you and your wife.

Kelly

Just wanted you to know that there is another CC member out there thinking of you, your wife and your family and wishing her well. I know when my sis was undergoing chemo she had to be wary of infection around the middle time between lines as her immune system would be vulnerable. Best to get advice from her oncologist. Hugs xxx

My mom had breast cancer in her left breast about 11 years ago...then had cancer in her right breast about 6 years later. She beat the cancer both times...so far, so good! I know it can be devastating when cancer returns, but it can be beat! Our thoughts and prayers are with you both! Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

I am a 5 year breast cancer survivor. I went on a cruise 2 weeks after finishing 36 radiation treatments, and 6 months of chemo prior to that. I think the decision you and your wife need to make is based on how she feels, and be aware that she may tire more easily, that she will need to rest probably more than she did on previous cruises. If she feels up to the cruise, and the oncologist gives the okay, go and ENJOY! Take along a lot of wipes, and you may want to consider some masks, because her immune system may be vulnerable. She has been through this once, and I am sure she will come through this with few problems, because you both know what to expect. Good luck and God Bless You Both.

Archived