137 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Lock Your Bags?

• Always
    • Never
    • International Only
    • Domestic Only
    • Impoverished or Corrupt Areas
    • Other

The recent discussion regarding TSA locks may put me in the minority. I have never locked any of my bags for flights. Of course I also never pack anything irreplacable or of high value. What do others do? Under what situations?

Greetings -- What I have done is go to Home Depot and purchased for a mere pittance a bundle of plastic electrical tie strips used to bundle electrical cords together. I slip them through the lock areas of the baggage that I check. They come in shocking colors. If someone wants to open the case, they have no problem cutting them for purposes of legal baggage inspection, and I do the same on the other end using a nail clipper that I have tested on the front end of my trip. It also acts as a deterrance to any petty theif. If the tie strip is missing between any two points of handling, I know that someone went into my baggage. I am particularly concerned about unauthorized access between the airport and the ship. I also slip them around the baggage handles and reinforce thru the baggage tags. Their shocking color makes them easy to pick out on any baggage carousel.

Z U

The recent discussion regarding TSA locks may put me in the minority. I have never locked any of my bags for flights. Of course I also never pack anything irreplacable or of high value. What do others do? Under what situations?

Same here. Never locked it. Never had anything stolen either. Like you, I never pack anything of value. I also pack with the understanding that I'll never see these things again.

If someone ones to rifle through my suitcase, I'd rather they use the zipper than a box cutter. At least I'd still have a suitcase when all they find is a bunch of clothes either clean or dirty........

My suitcase for all trips, no matter how long or where, is a 21" roll-on-board. That's it. It's been my experience that large, heavy suitcases locked up like Fort Knox are likely targets.

At one time I would lock my bags, however after the TSA cut my locks off twice. The second time they cut off the TSA approved locks. Now the only time I lock my bags is while I am at the hotel and prior to giving my luggage to the porters. Any and all valuables are in the carryon.

I never pack anything other than clothes and toiletries in my luggage. Everything else goes in a carry on bag. Airline employees can and will steal anything they can.

I sometimes lock my bags but if they really want my clothes then more power to them. I try to use TSA locks and when handing over my bags I tell the agent just that. Some will ask me to unlock them but I have never had any cut off.

Hi,:) don't lock mine either. The only thing in my checked bag?

Clothes, possibly purses and maybe shoes. All of those items can

be replaced.

My important stuff goes with me on the plane in my carry on bag.

I also use the orange & yellow dayglo tie-wraps and I don't put any high $$$ stuff in my checked baggage. Camera stuff and laptop goes with me.

If someone wants your stuff, they're going to get it... break the zipper, cut the bag open, steal the whole thing, whatever. Your stuff is much more likely to be lost by the airline than stolen by someone. :rolleyes:

I also use the plastic ties (from Lowe's), more as a deterrent than anything else. I'm thinking whether it's at the airport, pier, or outside of your stateroom, a bag with a plastic tie on it is likely to be passed by for one without anything to deter entry. And of course, my important stuff travels in my carry on, but I'm sure a lot of us travel with some of our favorite clothes on vacation and/or have a purchase or two in luggage that we would prefer not to lose. (Not that the airline might lose the bag for you, as lenytee mentioned!).

I also use the orange & yellow dayglo tie-wraps and I don't put any high $$$ stuff in my checked baggage. Camera stuff and laptop goes with me.

If someone wants your stuff, they're going to get it... break the zipper, cut the bag open, steal the whole thing, whatever. Your stuff is much more likely to be lost by the airline than stolen by someone. :rolleyes:

Then why lock it at all? :confused:

Interesting to note that over 60% of respondents say they always lock their bags even though from reading the comments, one would have thought the opposite would be true.

Like others have said, all our valuable stuff goes into our carry-ons but my wife still insists on locking our checked bags ... it gives her a greater sense of comfort than not doing so. We haven't had any locks broken but that may because thus far, we have only been exposed to TSA security once, when we flew to Honolulu. As well as the international to/from flights, our next trip will include 5 flights within the US, so I hope/pray that the experiences reported by others on these threads are exceptions rather the norm. Whatever, my wife will still lock our bags (using TSA locks) on all all these flights.

Cheers

Bob

I have used the TSA locks before, when I found this list back in 2005 I was reading about how TSA locks were being cut off so last year I didn't use them but took them with me and I put them on at the hotel before we head to the port.

Christine

I voted as an "Always" but then I use cable ties. I've done that ever since one of my bags came unzipped on a baggage carousel. (I may have packed it a little tight, though. :rolleyes:)

My intention was for cable ties to be considered the same as locking the bag.

I voted as an "Always" but then I use cable ties. I've done that ever since one of my bags came unzipped on a baggage carousel. (I may have packed it a little tight, though. :rolleyes:)

Exactly the reason we also use the neon zip ties. Not so much to keep people out (although I do think it's somewhat of a deterrent) but more to keep everything in and to help with spotting the luggage on the carousel.

We have used cable ties for years. Besides worrying about airport/airline pilferage, I always put them on when bags are transferred from hotel rooms to car/cab and vice versa. In many locations at larger hotels the bell person takes a totally different elevator than guests and this is just another "makes me feel better" thing I like to do.:rolleyes:

Kathy

Even though I am a big advocate of zip ties and have two or three brightly colored packages in my suitcases, I very rarely use them on my monthly LAX/JFK flights or my PHX or LAX to Missouri monthly flights. I just plain forget or am so rushed, I just don't get them on.

But I ALWAYS use them when flying to/in Asia or South America. But NOT to prevent theft. To keep someone from putting something INTO my luggage. I would hate to attempt to clear customs in MIA/JFK/DFW with a couple of kilos of coke in my suitcase returning on one of my business trips from South America.

But I ALWAYS use them when flying to/in Asia or South America. But NOT to prevent theft. To keep someone from putting something INTO my luggage. I would hate to attempt to clear customs in MIA/JFK/DFW with a couple of kilos of coke in my suitcase returning on one of my business trips from South America.

That is a really interesting perspective. I really have never considered being turned into a mule. What would be even worse would be to transit through somewhere like SIN and suddenly be up for the death penalty!

I've been using TSA locks ever since they were introduced. Not so much because I'm worried about having anything stolen as I am about what could be put in there without my knowledge. Now that scares me. :eek:

2P.P1

I'm with you 2P.P1. I use the TSA locks and have never had one cut off. I travel frequently to and from South America and am extremely cautious about having anyone use me unwittingly as a "mule". Hey, I saw Midnight Express...

Archived