taxi or Princess transfers

dijo

We will be on the Emerald Princess in November sailing out of Ft.Lauderdale. Has anyone used a taxi to the port and what was the cost? Princess tranfers are $10 per person each way.

Also, has anyone had any problems bringing wine aboard?

Thanks for your help

Dijo

We will be on the Emerald Princess in November sailing out of Ft.Lauderdale. Has anyone used a taxi to the port and what was the cost? Princess tranfers are $10 per person each way.

Thanks for your help

Dijo

Cabs are usually less expensive & it seems we have paid more than $10 for transfers each, but I could be wrong. One bottle of wine each can be carried onboard, any more must be in the checked luggage wrapped & in ziploc bags...no problem.

Jan

I've taken a taxi (I'm presuming you mean from the airport, right?) and it was very cheap -- I'm sorry, it's been a few years so I don't recall the exact amount, but the ride was only a few minutes long as the port is just a couple miles from the airport, and the fare, likewise, was very small. I'd definitely go with a taxi over the transfers in that port -- plus, you have the convenience of being able to hop in the cab and go when you're ready, not having to wait for them to fill a shuttle bus . . .

If indeed the price for Princess transfers is $10 per person, the taxi fare and transfers would run around the same price. Taxi might be a couple of dollars less. BUT, the main reason the taxi is better is that you can go immediately to the port, no waiting for the bus to fill up, and when you arrive at the port, no huge crowds getting off the bus at once.

We always take a taxi and forgo the transfers, especially in Fort Lauderdale where the taxi is much easier and faster.

We did the Princess transfers in February from airport to hotel, hotel to ship, ship to airport and it was $10/pp each one. Since there were 6 of us it was easier than for all of us to each get one taxi per couple. I have found the transfers pretty easy and we didn't have to wait for it to fill up since not everyone was going to the same hotel.

Thanks for your help

Dijo

The princess transfer usually consists of a voucher you can use with a cab. It may be cheaper, the port is very close to town and the airport. I usually take a couple of bottles of Champagne in my checked luggage on every cruise and often we buy the local wine ashore. They will however take your hard booze till the last night of the cruise.

Take a taxi. By taking a taxi you will save both money and time. For 2 people, transfers will be $20 total for both of you and the taxi should be someplace between $10-15.

With a transfer, you will have to wait till they get so many people together. With a taxi, you can grab a taxi over to the port and from the port to the airport when you are ready without having to wait.

Distance from the port to the airport is very close.

I had transfers on our cruise for March 2009 at it was $15:00 per person so I had my ta take it off.

Christine

We were quoted $10/person for Princess transfers at FLL this November.

However, we always use a cab there for all the reasons Toto2Kansas gave.

We were quoted $10/person for Princess transfers at FLL this November.

However, we always use a cab there for all the reasons Toto2Kansas gave.

Just check the invoice from Princess it was $15.00 per person so maybe they raised there prices we booked back on June 9th. After talking my dh we had are ta remove the transfers as we decided we could grab a taxi to the airport.

Christine

Taxi is usually the best way to go. BUT, one thing to consider is if you have a lot of luggage in which case, if the transfer is $10, I'd go with the transfer. I don't mind waiting for the bus to fill up... plus I like having someone else handle my luggage. There have been a couple of times when disembarking in Ft Lauderdale when the transfer was a really good idea; there were a lot of ships in port and taxis were scarce. People were fighting with each other and pushing and shoving to get a taxi. Many waited in the taxi line for over 30 minutes because people would shove ahead of them. We got on the bus and left the chaos five minutes later.

Generally a taxi is a better deal. Even at the same price as the transfer it is a lot less frustrating to use a taxi and have some control over what is going on. With that said, I would check the schedule for the port that day to see how many ships will be disembarking passengers to compete for a cab. If it's going to be a mob scene I'd opt for the bus transfer. We've hit Fort Lauderdale on a weekend in the winter and the taxi line can be quite long.

Thanks for your help

Dijo

Not sure what hotel you are staying in but there *may* be a free shuttle. Many hotels near the port have that. We're staying the La Quinta out in Hollywood and they have a free shuttle. Check that out.

Archived