Miserable Captains Club Perks

marvin

Does anyone think that Celebrity will ever wise up and equal Princess' perks for loyal cruisers. We have been on 28 cruises with Celebrity and have one more booked for April 2009 but that will probably be the last one. If we had done as many on Princess we would be getting free laundry and dry cleaning. We usually do the longer cruises and with the luggage charges on the airlines it would be nice not to take as many garments, both outer and under.

Does anyone think that Celebrity will ever wise up and equal Princess' perks for loyal cruisers. We have been on 28 cruises with Celebrity and have one more booked for April 2009 but that will probably be the last one. If we had done as many on Princess we would be getting free laundry and dry cleaning. We usually do the longer cruises and with the luggage charges on the airlines it would be nice not to take as many garments, both outer and under.

Yes, they have hired someone whose job is to revamp the program, there have been several threads about this recently.... The results are expected sometime around Sept. 1

I agree that Celebrity's Captain's Club is inferior to that of Princess & even RCCL, in fact the coupon books given to members are nothing more than lame incentives to spend money onboard & pretty much useless.

Having said that, I personally would not stop cruising one line in favor of another just because of past passenger perks.

I agree that Celebrity's Captain's Club is inferior to that of Princess & even RCCL, in fact the coupon books given to members are nothing more than lame incentives to spend money onboard & pretty much useless.

Having said that, I personally would not stop cruising one line in favor of another just because of past passenger perks.

I agree entirely.

Phil

Actually I have to disagree, if you are able to cruise that often then a better loyalty program can make a big difference! We spend about 40 to 50 nights a year in hotels for business, and we always try to stay at at Hyatt or Hilton because of their loyalty programs. We get two free weeks in Hawaii in an Club room courtesy of Hyatt every year. It pays to stick with the best loyalty plan.

Actually I have to disagree, if you are able to cruise that often then a better loyalty program can make a big difference! We spend about 40 to 50 nights a year in hotels for business, and we always try to stay at at Hyatt or Hilton because of their loyalty programs. We get two free weeks in Hawaii in an Club room courtesy of Hyatt every year. It pays to stick with the best loyalty plan.

Which cruise line offers similar perks to your Hyatt or Hilton free weeks on board? Let me know, I might switch cruise lines to built into that kind of perks program for free cruises ;)

Which cruise line offers similar perks to your Hyatt or Hilton free weeks on board? Let me know, I might switch cruise lines to built into that kind of perks program for free cruises ;)

It costs a lot more, but Seabourn has exactly that benefit. Cruise about 150 days and get a free one week cruise. It use to be a two week cruise.

The real truth is you pay one way or the other. The numbers crunchers have it figured out. If they can make you feel you are getting something free all the better for them. I always choose a product I like and consider the value for what I pay and if there is anything extra it's just a little frosting on the cake. The first thing I consider is how good the cake is.:)

Well Apples to Apples Hyatt and Hilton are not the equivalent to the Seaborn Class....Agree?

I'm not sure what your getting at but heck, Hyatt and Hilton aren't the equivalent of most cruise lines let alone Seabourn. My point is that there is a cruise line, lux I'll grant you, that gives free cruises to their most loyal customers.

I'm not sure what your getting at but heck, Hyatt and Hilton aren't the equivalent of most cruise lines let alone Seabourn. My point is that there is a cruise line, lux I'll grant you, that gives free cruises to their most loyal customers.

What I am getting at is that Hyatt and Hilton are not the Ritz or the Four Seasons. So X and RCCL might be the apples to match the chains, and we do know there are no free cruises on either of these two cruise lines.

Just to clarify , I want to cut the amount of luggage we take on a cruise without having to pay a fortune to the laundry especially since Celebrity does not have any washing machines or dryers on any of their ships. our last cruise we had to pay $50 for 2 pieces of luggage of the 4 we checked to the airline which of course the 2 we had to pay for as they were overweight, they were unable to deliver to the ship until we were in Ketchikan.

Marvin - I know there are some out there that can do it with less. I need two bags and I plan in that regard. Yay for those who can do it in less. :) The hundred dollars in bag charges for us to save my brain is nothing in terms of the stress involved in my travel patterns.

The real truth is you pay one way or the other. The numbers crunchers have it figured out. If they can make you feel you are getting something free all the better for them. I always choose a product I like and consider the value for what I pay and if there is anything extra it's just a little frosting on the cake. The first thing I consider is how good the cake is.:)

Extremely well said.

Marvin - I know there are some out there that can do it with less. I need two bags and I plan in that regard. Yay for those who can do it in less. :) The hundred dollars in bag charges for us to save my brain is nothing in terms of the stress involved in my travel patterns.

I too have long given up on trying to scale back what I pack. I bring what I want, and if there are additional baggage fees involved...I pay them, and enjoy the flight.

When I traveled extensively for business - I was members of most Airline Loyalty plans, Hyatt , Marriot and Hilton as well. Unfortunately the airlines got greedy and what was 20k for a coach ticket is now 50 IF you can score one. Worse still, if you don;t travel with them after 18 months - BYE BYE points. Hilton is the same - cant tell you how many miles I have lost. Having said that - my friend spends 2-3 weeks a month at Hampton Inns/ Hiltons and has several hundred thousand points - He recently gave us enough to pay for a night at the Ft.Lauderdale Grand for our upcoming cruise ( $300 if we paid cash) and last year we cashed in starwood points at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper - another $300 room.

I think the hotels have it right or at least more right than the Airlines.. It was the bean counters who said - these are liabilities on your balance sheet so the sooner they go away - the better they look.

Celebrity Captains Club doesnt give much and as others have said RCCL does it better. I would really like to see the two plans merge and give us some real benefits. Personally I'd like some nice luggage tags, Maybe a nice pin for my travel hat, free laundry. I do appreciate the JohnnyRockets coupon though.

Keep the spa treatments. Would like to see better internet perks - OR cut the rate

Extremely well said.

Good evening,

Another way of looking at all this....: Celebrity, price-wise, is generally one of the ''best bang for the buck'' and most might agree that, again price-wise, they are undervaluing their product....So, as the earlier post said, you ''pay'' somewhere, somehow, sooner or later''...and the lower perks and slightly inferior preventive maintenance are two of the ways we end up ''paying'' for it....IMO only

Cheers

:)

My point is that there is a cruise line, lux I'll grant you, that gives free cruises to their most loyal customers.

How loyal do you have to be to get the free one?:confused:

I found the answer:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=73#carnival

Carnival gives a free cruise after paying for a hundred.

Cruise queens

When Jones boarded Carnival Cruise Lines’ Fascination in December, she stepped into the Carnival record books. The voyage marked her 100th Carnival cruise, which is quite an accomplishment. Consider the numbers: Jones has sailed on 100 cruises since 1991, so she has taken a cruise roughly every other month for 15 years. Jones is the second Carnival passenger to achieve the century mark. The first was Frances Mendin, who took her hundredth cruise in October 2005.

Archived