Eurodam's retreat cabanas review

sauvichick

If there are passengers who are using them and enjoying them (which at this point, I'm sure we can all agree that there are), then what is there for people to get their knickers in a twist about?

In the instance of the Lido cabanas it's the fact that there's an intrusion into the space used for passage. The cabanas force people into a narrow space, with little room to pass each other. You have a constricted high-passage area.

Add a wheelchair, or a scooter, to the mix and you have a total bottleneck.

The Retreat cabanas are out of the way, so don't impact on those not using them.

I have reserved a lido Cabana for the Thanksgiving cruise. I have my adult children and 5 grandchildren with me and it seemed like a good meeting place. We will try to avoid getting anybody's 'knickers twisted' (love that phrase). Just trying to have fun.:D:D:D:D:D

In the instance of the Lido cabanas it's the fact that there's an intrusion into the space used for passage. The cabanas force people into a narrow space, with little room to pass each other. You have a constricted high-passage area.

Add a wheelchair, or a scooter, to the mix and you have a total bottleneck.

The Retreat cabanas are out of the way, so don't impact on those not using them.

I pulled up a deck plan for the lido and it did not show the cabanas specifically. Are you saying that if the cabanas were not there that there would be no chaise lounges placed there? If there would not be anything else there I can understand the problem.....but if there would be other types of seating to maneuver around I don't think I understand the difference. You have been on this ship so I respect your opinion....but I don't understand the difference between cabanas and chaise lounges. Cherie

I'm so happy to have read this review today! I am considering reserving a retreat cabana for one of the days of our Carib. Eurodam cruise in December. First I want to say I agree with SarahQ - people seem to get awfully emotional about something being offered that they personally would not want to use. (that said.. I do see their point about the Lido area - and I will post my impressions on that after my Euro cruise - also, though, I am not quite sure why someone would want an indoor cabana - and the Lido pool, while sometimes open on top, is surrounded by windows. It seems kind of silly to be in a cabana when the area where the cabanas are is already shaded? But again, I haven't been on the ship yet and I'm sure I'll form an opinion when I get there.)

So my questions: Can you suggest the best location/name of a retreat cabana- assuming we'll reserve the cabana for a sea day? Also, I'm not really clear yet - how and where do we reserve - I do not need a cabana for the entire week - right now I'm thinking just one of the sea days - and we will not be in a suite this time - if we were I'd know to have our concierge reserve for us when we board... so would it be the front desk? My understanding from this thread is that phone reservations are only for the entire week and if we want one or two days we'd have to reserve on board?

Thanks for your review and thanks in advance if anyone can answer these questions!

Moriah

Are you saying that if the cabanas were not there that there would be no chaise lounges placed there?

If the other 13 ships are a guide, then there would be no loungers in that area---there would be tables and chairs.

The tables would be round, so there's squeezing room in the curved area. And the chairs would be pushed in when no one was in them, and would be on an angle to the passageway, again making more room for the traffic flow.

There's also a barricade set up behind the loungers next to the pool---again, no way to shift things out of the way.

The way it's set up in this area on the E-dam there's a real "wall" on each side of the passage---so there's no place to step-aside into when it gets crowded.

I would hate to see two scooters trying to pass each other going in different directions. :eek: It would be impossible---that's all there is to it.

We just finished the September 1 cruise on the Eurodam. Gorgeous ship!!!In 10 days I saw only two cabanas rented for one day. Even when the Prince Edward Island port was cancelled, no one was renting the cabanas. I personally don't like them as they take away from public areas and views. I also think that cruisers are too money savee to rent them. It will be interesting to see if they are popular in the Carribean. Now the new Tamarind restaurant. What a find!

Anyone here who has rented a Retreat Cabana know how you get from the Retreat to the Lido pool?

I didn't rent a cabana, but I was in the area often enough to know the route.

The Retreat is on Observation Deck (deck 11), just outside (aft of) the forward elevator bank. To get from there to the Lido pool, come in to the forward elevators and take them, or the forward stairs located right there, down to Lido Deck (deck 9). Then head to port side, past the salon and spa area, to the Lido pool area.

I am planning on renting a cabana for the week for our April Eurodam cruise. I am confused about whether you get the chilled fruit, water and other perks in both the Lido and Retreat Cabanas, or is it just the retreat Cabanas? I'd like to use the Lido Cabanas to keep an eye on our children. Has someone used the Lido Cabanas who can shed some light on this for me? Thanks in advance.

Can you rent the Retreat Cabana on line or do you have to wait until you are on board? I only want it for one sea day. Thanks.

You can only book by the week online. If you want it for one day you have to wait until you board. And from what people are saying, do it right away.

I am planning on renting a cabana for the week for our April Eurodam cruise. I am confused about whether you get the chilled fruit, water and other perks in both the Lido and Retreat Cabanas, or is it just the retreat Cabanas? I'd like to use the Lido Cabanas to keep an eye on our children. Has someone used the Lido Cabanas who can shed some light on this for me? Thanks in advance.

I have not been in one yet, have one reserved for my upcoming cruise, but from what I understand you get all of those perks in the Lido cabanas too. Its just time dependent. Like I don't think they bring out the choc covered berried until the afternoon. THey may have some extra things up in the retreat cabanas, but the lidos still provide the Evian misters, loaded IPOD, fruit. I will let you know for sure when I come back in November.

I'm so happy to have read this review today! I am considering reserving a retreat cabana for one of the days of our Carib. Eurodam cruise in December. First I want to say I agree with SarahQ - people seem to get awfully emotional about something being offered that they personally would not want to use. (that said.. I do see their point about the Lido area - and I will post my impressions on that after my Euro cruise - also, though, I am not quite sure why someone would want an indoor cabana - and the Lido pool, while sometimes open on top, is surrounded by windows. It seems kind of silly to be in a cabana when the area where the cabanas are is already shaded? But again, I haven't been on the ship yet and I'm sure I'll form an opinion when I get there.)

So my questions: Can you suggest the best location/name of a retreat cabana- assuming we'll reserve the cabana for a sea day? Also, I'm not really clear yet - how and where do we reserve - I do not need a cabana for the entire week - right now I'm thinking just one of the sea days - and we will not be in a suite this time - if we were I'd know to have our concierge reserve for us when we board... so would it be the front desk? My understanding from this thread is that phone reservations are only for the entire week and if we want one or two days we'd have to reserve on board?

Thanks for your review and thanks in advance if anyone can answer these questions!

Moriah

I will try to answer ALL questions.

In the retreat areaThe best 2 are the Palma de Mallorca or the Cote du Azur (sp) front & center, great breeze and only one side is a shared wall.

The Lido "cabanas or shall I say tents are very confining. We did look at them up close.Yes you do get the same perks(see review) but the retreat cabanas have their own private lounge area ("living room")and it's quieter.

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed my review. They are fabulous and The best $75 we spent on HAL!!!

We were very happy to have Ryan... Isn't he really tall?

If you are only renting for one day you have to wait until you get on board. Make sure that is the 1st thing you do once you board at the front desk.

SarahQ I am tired of all the negativity too. Especially from people who have not been onboard. The retreat cabanas are on a SEPARATE deck that will not interfere with the Lido deck. Many people we met were disappointed that they did not have an opportunity to rent a retreat cabana.

I can't help but feel these cabanas are tacky at best, and an abomination at worst.

Why would anybody spend good money to shut themselves inside a tent with a double bed so all around can draw their own conclusions as to what is going on inside - rightly or wrongly?

The cruise line must be scraping the bottom of the barrel when they decided on these 'space fillers and income generators'

I have vented my spleen, no i am content and look forward to my cabanaless cruise in 2 weeks

Good for you! To each their own.

I will try to answer ALL questions.

In the retreat areaThe best 2 are the Palma de Mallorca or the Cote du Azur (sp) front & center, great breeze and only one side is a shared wall.

Thank you! We're going to try to board as early as possible and sign up for one of these for our first sea day.

Moriah

Thank you! We're going to try to board as early as possible and sign up for one of these for our first sea day.

Moriah

Absolutely you should do this ASAP. I was told they sold out in about 1 hour. Then make your dinner reservation @ Canaletto and/or lunch @ Tamarind.

We are planning on renting the Retreat Cabanas for our Xmas cruise week, for the entire week. Is there a discount if you rent it for the whole week?

Also, do they kick you out at 6:00PM? We like to stay on deck as late as possible. Actually as I am typing this I should check the sunset times in the Caribbean at XMAS. It probably is around 6:30.

Bon voyage

PS We have a 17 year old who will not want to be at the Cabana but will he be allowed to pop up and visit?

We are planning on renting the Retreat Cabanas for our Xmas cruise week, for the entire week. Is there a discount if you rent it for the whole week?

Also, do they kick you out at 6:00PM? We like to stay on deck as late as possible. Actually as I am typing this I should check the sunset times in the Caribbean at XMAS. It probably is around 6:30.

Bon voyage

PS We have a 17 year old who will not want to be at the Cabana but will he be allowed to pop up and visit?

Yes its cheaper for the week. Have your TA book or call ship services directly.

Bon voyage

I remember reading that it was $300 for the week for the retreat cabanas. Definitely follow cruisr's advice. Husband & I were told it was 9AM-5PM, but I read that people stayed much later. Your son will absolutely be allowed to visit. They charge by the cabana so he can remain in the retreat's "living room" area.

I can't help but feel these cabanas are tacky at best, and an abomination at worst.

Why would anybody spend good money to shut themselves inside a tent with a double bed so all around can draw their own conclusions as to what is going on inside - rightly or wrongly?

The cruise line must be scraping the bottom of the barrel when they decided on these 'space fillers and income generators'

I have vented my spleen, no i am content and look forward to my cabanaless cruise in 2 weeks

You mean.... they are private? like in "we could be doing heaven knows what!" in there?????????

WoooHoooo~ Where do I sign up??

Sheila

You mean.... they are private? like in "we could be doing heaven knows what!" in there?????????

WoooHoooo~ Where do I sign up??

Sheila

No one was trying "anything" that day! All the cabanas flaps remained open, but you can close them. The breeze felt great!

• 1 month later...

Archived