Two excursions in a day?

itf

Forgive the potentially naive question, we've never cruised before. We're on the Emerald in November.

Do ship excursions always start and end at the ship? We're wondering if we can potentially do one in the morning and one in the afternoon through Princess, if the timings don't overlap?

Of course you can! We have done this on our tours in St.Petersburg. In fact on one cruise, we took 3 excursions in one day (one in morning, another in the afternoon and the 3rd for an evening show. You do have to juggle your meals around the schedule and I would suggest you grab a quick lunch in the buffet. Have a great time, but don't wear yourself out...its easy to do!;)

Yes, you can and all excursions end back at the ship. But be careful to leave yourself enough time between excursions and take into consideration that often, two in a row can be exhausting. I've done it when I'm at a port with several things I really want to do but I'm really bushed by the end of the day.

Yes you can and I did years ago on a cruise to Canda/New England. There were two excursions in Halifax that we wanted to do so we did one in the morning and one in the afternoon. My reasoning was that we would never get there again. Well, by the end of the day we were exhausted, and swore we would never do that again. Now what is funny is that 2 years ago we went back to guess where Canada/New england. It is totally up to you and if times do not over-lap go for it. But as we get older and maybe wiser we are not doing that again.

marilyn

Not a problem to do two. You do need a little cushion time between the excursions to feel easy about making back to ship for second excursion. When excursions open up for your sailing, check out the times on princess.com to see if it is doable.

itf -

You can do two, but honestly, I would suggest doing only one.

Pick an excursion that you would really like to see or do.

Everyone I know who has done 2 excursions in one day swears they would never do it again.

Forgive the potentially naive question, we've never cruised before. We're on the Emerald in November.

Do ship excursions always start and end at the ship? We're wondering if we can potentially do one in the morning and one in the afternoon through Princess, if the timings don't overlap?

we did two in one day on our recent cruise. The cruise personalizer wouldn't let me book both under my name, as it indicated there was a time conflict, even though they were about an hour apart. So, I put one under my name, other under dh's name. Then, on board, I checked with the excursion desk to make sure there wasn't a problem. They assured me there was no problem and we took both.

we had a fantastic time and I would take 2 in one day again in a heartbeat. Of course, not two energetic ones. We did a walking one in the morning and a more sedate one in the afternoon.

enjoy your cruise!

......Do ship excursions always start and end at the ship?........

Yes... all tours should include a trip back to the dock. Many end in town and allow you to depart the tour in town and then you are responsible for finding your way back to the ship. We have done that many times. Great was to "extend" your tour and time ashore. ;)

We have often done both an AM and a PM excursion in a port.

Excursions meet either on the ship or on the dock, and suggested meeting time is usually 15 minutes before the start of the excursion, with many showing up 30 minutes before.

I would suggest at least 60 minutes between the scheduled end of the first and the scheduled start of the second to allow for the possibility that the first may be a little late in returning.

To add to Sandytoes' point, we talked to two families that did multiple daily excursions during our Alaska cruise. Both felt they were "cheated" out of being able to stroll around the port towns and one just used the term "burned out and needed a vacation" and, as Sandytoes said, would never do it that way again. From a time standpoint, assuming you book through the cruise line, you will never have to worry about missing the ship no matter how you many tours you take in. So it is more about being able to remain spirited about each one, I guess.

If there's enough time, I don't see any problems with it. I did a morning one and an afternoon one. Ship was in port all day. If you time it right, you can stroll back on the ship to change/switch gear and even have a nice lunch in the dining room.

On our last cruise, the time was changed for one of our excursions, but that turned out all right for us. On the cruise before that, the port departure time was moved up for one port.

So be aware that changes could happen which can make timing more critical if you're trying to do two excursions in one port. But if you think there may be a problem, you can cancel any excursions up to a certain period of time (sometimes 48 hours on some ships) before a port visit.

Archived