Will oars be necessary?

We're thinking about booking the Sovereign departing on Friday, but want to keep it as inexpensive as we can since we're going on the Mariner on the 28th. Has anyone ever booked a Q or Z guarantee and how dreadful could it be?

I asked this on the Sovereign M&M, but this is a much wider audience so I'm counting on someone to give me the scoop.:o

Nancy

We're thinking about booking the Sovereign departing on Friday, but want to keep it as inexpensive as we can since we're going on the Mariner on the 28th. Has anyone ever booked a Q or Z guarantee and how dreadful could it be?

I asked this on the Sovereign M&M, but this is a much wider audience so I'm counting on someone to give me the scoop.:o

Nancy

I booked the same guarantee on Majesty, and got a great rate on a very very small inside at the front of the ship. We had a great time for a great price. The room was very noisy upon arrival and departure from port because of the mooring ropes, but for a 3 day cruise it was fine.

Nothing to add in information but want you to know your post title grabbed my attention. My husband and I just spent a few minutes having a great laugh and what a wonderful way to spend a few minutes in any day. Thanks to all who contributed.

Jan

I saw an ad in the newspaper "seven day cruise for $1 dollar". So I called the number and found out one has to work. How hard could it be I told my wife. So they went. Upon arrival at the ship they were given oars and told they would have to row for five hours a day. OK they thought five hours rowing, eight hours sleeping and nine hours to enjoy the ship. Of course they didn't have to row on port days. The last night on the cruise they said that wasn't that bad. They were in better shape. But then Derfette asked me "How much should we tip the drummer".

I saw an ad in the newspaper "seven day cruise for $1 dollar". So I called the number and found out one has to work. How hard could it be I told my wife. So they went. Upon arrival at the ship they were given oars and told they would have to row for five hours a day. OK they thought five hours rowing, eight hours sleeping and nine hours to enjoy the ship. Of course they didn't have to row on port days. The last night on the cruise they said that wasn't that bad. They were in better shape. But then Derfette asked me "How much should we tip the drummer".
:D:D:D

I don't get it?!?!?!?!?!?!:confused:

Aquaman#1.........Check out the movie Ben-Hur (I think that's the one) with Charlton Heston. There is a portion of it which shows the rowers and the drummer.....Battle Speed, Ramming Speed!!!!!

Does anybody recognize what I am talking about? I think I have the right movie, but I am not positive.

Aquaman#1.........Check out the movie Ben-Hur (I think that's the one) with Charlton Heston. There is a portion of it which shows the rowers and the drummer.....Battle Speed, Ramming Speed!!!!!

Does anybody recognize what I am talking about? I think I have the right movie, but I am not positive.

Battle Speed, Ramming Speed, and Warp Speed!!!!

Battle Speed, Ramming Speed, and Warp Speed!!!!

You are getting ahead of yourself there Derf!! You were great till you hit "Back to the Future"!!:D :eek: :D

Rick

BTW.........for the person that asked which floors helped with the anchor chain....................on the original oar driven ships..........it was deck 1 and 2...................now it goes all the way up to 5!!:D :D

Rick

Nancy

All jokes aside, I have stayed in ocean view rooms on Deck Two and Deck Three, because that is where we ended up with guarantees. Honestly, I have to say that for ocean view rooms, they were fine. They were cozy. They were very convenient on port days for leaving and returning to the ship. They are also close to the dining room.

We have also stayed on ocean view rooms on Decks Six, Seven, and Eight on various RCCI ships. Frankly, I didn't feel the higher deck rooms were noticeably superior to the lower decks. The worst cabin we have had was a Deck Seven on Majesty because the Prominade was just outside our window so we had to keep our draperies closed most of the time, so why pay extra for an ocean view?

I much prefer balconies if it is possible to book one, but if I HAD to have an ocean view cabin, I wouldn't be concerned about having one on Deck Two or Three. One thing you might check, however, is that on some older ships, the Deck Two and sometimes Deck Three windows are very small, about the size of a big pizza.

Thanks for all the responses. We did not go after all. I convinced my husband that we were just being too greedy, since we leave in two weeks for the Mariner.:o It's a 6-to 7-hour drive for us and that was just too much to do so close together.

Y'all did convince me that we would be fine taking a guarantee in the lower categories though. Packing is bad enough without including oars, so I was relieved to hear I wouldn't need them.:p

In ancient naval battle scenes where the vessels had oars they had a drummer who kept the cadence. Well at least that is how movies portrayed it.

OK, now I understand. I saw a cartoon (picture) once that had a guy beating a drum on a discount deep sea fishing boat, and I didn't get it either. Now it makes sense! The discount came in because of the rowing! Thanks!

Archived