Anyone else NOT really drink on a cruise?

JenaMH

I think that everyone shall drink as much or as little as they want (as long as they don't annoy other passengers).

I have no problem with people who doesn't drink but I don't like when the bars are filled with people playing cards without drinking! If they drink Coke or anything without alcohol I don't mind but when they sit there without a glass and just take up all the space I hate them! A bar is a place for those who wants a drink, with or without alcohol!

If you don't plan to drink, stay away from the bars!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DH & I are not drinkers much either.

We enjoy an after dinner drink a couple of times during a weeks cruise.

DH might have a of soda once or twice & I might have a beer with lunch once during the week, but that is about it, so the cruise lines are not making much from us on additional beverage sales.

Funny thing, even though I am the one who orders a beer the server most always gives my husband the beer and I his soda. Servers seem to be confused that a lady might drink beer and a gentleman might just be drinking a soda.

Our total soda & bar bill from our last cruise was under $25

I'm not much of a drinker either and my DH can't because of medications he takes. On this last cruise, I ordered wine by the glass for 4 nights and the rest of the time drank iced tea. Occasionally, I will order a bottle of wine and drink it over several nights.

• 3 weeks later...

Dancers don't drink. The groups I travel with, at least half don't use alcohol at all, the others one or two over the course of the night. But we do buy lots of water and soft drinks while we're in the lounge, so we pay our way, and of course we're always up on the dance floor. Anyone who claims they have to drink to be a dancer, is no dancer.

• 2 weeks later...

My DW and I don't drink alcohol at all and have a great time everywhere we go. And I don't do Starbucks (5bucks) either. However you will find me near the coffee shop onboard getting what will be my daily cappuccino. I cappuccinoed (yes it can be a verb) my way through Europe in the Navy and I find it's a great way to kill a half hour. A cup of cappuccino and watching people.;)

And doing it at sea! Could life be any better? I submit that it could not.

Whether it be because of the added costs or whatever, anyone else not order drinks? Of the 3 cruises I've been on, the first cruise I only had a glass of wine, and well... that one drink is all I've ever ordered! :D

flamesuit.gif

We never drink acohol at any time. Why do you need alcohol to have a good time?

Not everyone who drinks does so to "have a good time" or get drunk. And I'm not knocking those who don't drink for whatever reason at all. I am a seminary student and member of a denomination that generally looks down on drinking. That said, I keep beer in my fridge (though I very rarely drink ... it's been probably a month since I last had one).

As for while on a cruise, the DW and I between us have 2-3 a day while cruising. We never even see a hint of a buzz, we just enjoy a drink now and then.

But no, you wouldn't be out of place if you didn't drink, many people don't drink at all on a cruise.

Next Monday I celebrate 19 years w/o a drug or drink. Whoopee! I now know what living life on life's terms means. I do get a kick out of people who say they don't drink, just wine, beer, a few a day, guess what ? You do drink. :rolleyes: but you are not an alcoholic? who knows? only you do. I love the fact that there are Friends of Bill W. meetings on the ships. And I see that getting away from the drinking rowdy 3 day cruises for me are the better option. Happy sailing, and cruise safely!

because it tends to screw up my blood sugars (did you know hard alcohol can bring your blood sugars down - well - in a diabetic - but then it shoots them back up eventually). The other thing, most people think I'm already slightly corked to begin with, so I don't have to drink!

The main thing, just to enjoy yourself on the cruise. Because if you drink too much, you may be missing out on things because of praying to the porcelain Goddess, etc. Been there, done that, I am getting wiser with age as I'm sure a few of us can admit.

Back to the ;) ocean I go ...

Anna from Montreal aka FatCatAnna at http://www.diabetes1.org/blogs/Annas_Blog

I'm not much of a "drinker"...either alcoholic or cola's. Here at home my drink of choice is definitely SWEET TEA!!! :D That said, the "free" tea and coffee on cruise ships taste pretty "yucky" (my opinion) so I mostly just stick to water--better for me anyway. I'm also "frugal" and generally not willing to pay big bucks for the on-board alcoholic drinks.

P.S. It IS fun to trip drunks on deck and pretend it's an accident...J/K!!!!! :p

• 1 month later...

I've never been much of a drinker and never really kept booze at home. I cannot drink now due to medications... and I don't care, take it or leave it. I do drink a lot of soda, tea and coffee so I'll probably get a soda pass.

I predict that the other half will have a few cocktails each afternoon ( on sea days or if we are lounging around the beach) wine with dinner and a few more cocktails at night. I told her that she really needs to start drinking beer as it's cheaper than the fluffy drinks she tends to get.

When I went on my 1st cruise last year, I bought the 4 drink coupons beforehand, and that's all the drinks I had. 3 glasses of wine and a Mimosa over the whole 7 days. I am a wife, daughter, and sister of alcoholics, so I rarely indulge. Since I went by myself, I felt I could have a drink or two without being called a hypocrite. Those 4 drinks are more than I had in the whole year before or since that cruise. There were many I came across who didn't drink and we all still had a great time! I sure felt for those with the big bar bills at the end of the cruise!:eek:

Kathy

DH likes his drinks. I on the other hand have never really found anything that I want to drink. I feel like a little kid sometimes because he'll say ohh this wine is soo good you'd love it. I'll take a sip and make a face like a child. Just can't get it past my tounge! I will have a couple of fruity frozen drinks here and there. BUT 2 is my limit at one sitting and I don't drink that often anyway. NEVER drink at home only a couple on vacation but I could go the whole trip without it and never miss it....SODA however is a whole nother story!!!!

One of the side effects for me of the dramamine (or scopolamine or whatever!!) is that alcohol tastes really funny, so after one drink the first night that I can't even finish, I don't drink much the rest of the week, except maybe in port if the dram wears off soon enough, haha. Anyway, it keeps the bill low so I can buy jewelry or some other fun and LASTING memory.

I could take it or leave it as far as alcohol is concerned, but if I'm ordering a drink, there's going to be alcohol in it. For some reason, I can't stand ordering virgin pina coladas, or virgin daquiri's. To me, it kind of takes away the fun in drinking them. Never drink sodas though.

The last cruise I went on, my parents kindly offered to pick up my tab for the S&S card. They told me not to be concerned with how much I was spending, just wanted me to go and have fun. I come back from the cruise, and we get the statement, and for the entire week long cruise, the bill came out to around $70. This was on NCL, so I paid for a dinner for 2 in the French restaurant with some wine, which is I think where a bulk of the bill came from.

I rarely drink at home unless it's a glass of wine with dinner.

For some reasons though on cruises I tend to drink more than usual. Mostly on debarkation day. Something about first stepping foot on that ship after months and months of anticipation. Throughout the week though I dont drink as much, maybe split a bucket of beer in the afternoon and have a margarita in the evening. Sometimes maybe a mimosa in the mornings.

My average bill for a week long cruise with 3 people on a S&S card (easier that way IMO for family members) is $300, including gratuities, photos, drinks and extars.

We're not smokers or gamblers, but we do like a cocktail special or drink of the day in the evening. Usually in a lounge after the shows if there is live music and some dancing. Actually sometimes the drinks are just to save our chairs because we're usually on the dance floor. For us, the sun has to be well over the yardarm and sinking in the west before we imbibe!

Neither my husband or myself drink alchohal but we sure enjoy all the virgin fruite smoothie drinks. Our first cruise we were so worried about $$$ that we waited until a couple of days before the cruise ended to buy anything, now we start the cruise with a frosty beverage, just non alcohal, still delicious!!

Kris 40 days until the Panama Canal woo hoo

Archived