Verandahs on Eurodam

Tallassie

I am booking a cruise on the Eurodam for the Baltics and have two questions I need help with.

1) Which side of the ship offers the best viewing, or doesn't it matter?

2) Which verandahs should be avoided? (This year I had a verandah on the Prinsendam over the Lounge and couldn't sleep until the last show was over!) Are there some that are better sized or located?

Tallahassie

I'm in the it doesn't matter camp. Now, I'm a cave dweller, so I do my viewing from the public decks. But, that means I get all the views, too!

There's beautiful views on both sides in one port or another, and there's also some pretty bad views when docked in some places.

While sailing in/out the Stockholm archipelago you'll do best being outside, preferably on a forward deck. If the weather is bad, I'd suggest the Crow's Nest.

We were in a stern VA on deck 7 and really liked the location. We could see both port and starboard views. Plus, our stateroom and verandah were deeper than other VA cabins by a good bit. I'd snag one of those.

Would the VA cabins on deck four also be deeper since the location is over the stern? We are in 4182, almost dead center of Eurodam. Is the view plexiglass or solid wall steel?

2) Which verandahs should be avoided? (This year I had a verandah on the Prinsendam over the Lounge and couldn't sleep until the last show was over!) Are there some that are better sized or located?
Cabins 4001 thru 4042 have just the steel-wall railings instead of plexiglas, so you can't see anything but sky when seated. Also, 2/3 of them are over the show lounge.

Cabins 4166 and 4168 have double-width balconies - they are approximately 7.5 ft by 18 ft !!

Cabins 4001 thru 4042 have just the steel-wall railings instead of plexiglas, so you can't see anything but sky when seated. Also, 2/3 of them are over the show lounge.

Cabins 4166 and 4168 have double-width balconies - they are approximately 7.5 ft by 18 ft !!

I had 4022 on the Noordam and loved it! The balcony was extra wide - 7.5'. Although the railing was steel, I liked it better - reminded me of a true ocean liner, and we could certainly see some sights when seated. Also, the railing gave me a better sense of privacy. I took the following photos from my chair, while my sister was looking out at the Stromboli Volcano from her chair. ;) Does anyone know if the steel Verandahs on the Eurodam are extra wide, as well?

MediterraneanCruise025.jpg

MediterraneanCruise026.jpg

Some pictures of the verandahs on the Eurodam that I took when she was in QC last week:

Aft verandahs

Eurodam2008-09-10002.jpg

View of starboard verandahs and glass elevators

Eurodam2008-09-10007.jpg

Forward verandahs with steel railing

Eurodam2008-09-10006.jpg

Observation deck semi-circle verandahs

Eurodam2008-09-10004.jpg

Close-up of VA4053 verandah on deck 4 - as you can see, it does not cut in as the deck plan shows, but extends all the way to be flush with the forward verandahs, thus making it huge! (the disadvantage being that it is very open to the verandahs above)

Eurodam2008-09-10005.jpg

We have a VT guarantee booked for our 18 day transatlantic in April. I know we most likely won't get the VT and I'm confortable with having a veranda any where on the ship. I noticed online that all the VA aft cabins are booked except for those on deck 4. I'm considering calling my TA and changing to one of the afts on deck 4, but I'm concerned that there may be a good reason those afts are available. Is there something dreadful about the location of those cabins vs. the afts on the higher decks? Should I go ahead and book? It's only a couple of hundred more...

By the way, nice pictures.

I was just in 5192, a VA stern on the Eurodam. The veranda is much smaller than those on the Noordam. It's mostly covered except if you stand at the railing. We happened to get lots of sun because of the pooosition of the ship.

I was in 5186 on the Noordam, same exact location..over one...and the veranda was much bigger and had enough uncovered area to put a chair there, but that area was exposed to those above you.

Are the aft verandahs staggered like on the other Vista Class ships, or are they straight up and down as they appear in the photo?
They are tiered, but not to the extent they are on the Vista ships. There's a slight rake to the stern when looking from the side, but not much.

I am booking a cruise on the Eurodam for the Baltics and have two questions I need help with.

Tallahassie

Thanks for your responses. I would have loved the maximum view cabins, but with cost considerations, I've booked a VE guarantee instead.

Tallassie

I noticed online that all the VA aft cabins are booked except for those on deck 4. I'm considering calling my TA and changing to one of the afts on deck 4, but I'm concerned that there may be a good reason those afts are available. Is there something dreadful about the location of those cabins vs. the afts on the higher decks?

I had an aft cabin, 4155, just last week, and it was terrific. In fact, the verandahs on Deck 4 are extend a little farther than those on the upper decks, so ours was quite spacious. That cabin is on the starboard side, which (on the New York - Quebec City cruise) was the one used for docking, lots of fun to watch. The only disadvantage I can think of was that it was a bit of a hike to the forward attractions like the library, but that's certainly true of aft cabins on any deck. It's a nice "neighborhood" and I hope you get a chance to enjoy it!

Would the VA cabins on deck four also be deeper since the location is over the stern? We are in 4182, almost dead center of Eurodam. Is the view plexiglass or solid wall steel?

We are in 4183 in Nov. I will take lots of pics so you can see before you go in December.

They are tiered, but not to the extent they are on the Vista ships. There's a slight rake to the stern when looking from the side, but not much.

The rake to the stern is no more than 18" per deck - It's practically vertical.

Even so, I'd choose any verandah before a VT...

edam44.jpg.c764ea93c8aeb334bcbe8ef0fdc72fee.jpg

• 1 month later...

Helloooo! I am new here...and was browsing around and saw that someone here sailed away today in cabin 4183 on the Eurodam! My boyfriend and I are in that same cabin next Sat (Nov 22)!

Interesting...let us know how you like it!

:) Kelly

Archived