3rd and 4th passenger rates?

kaiiak

Hi all! I am new to RCL, but not to cruising. We are expecting a new baby this January, so when researching our future cruises, I thought it would be a great time to try out RCL because of their toddler water play areas on certain ships. I looked at the Oasis for summer 2010 and about died when I saw the grand total for 4 people in a balcony: $6276. The third and fourth passenger rates were soooo steep: $1289.

Is this the norm on RCL? Is this just because it is a new ship? I am also interested in the Freedom Class ships, but they don't have their itineraries up yet for summer 2010. I think the MOST I ever paid for 3rd/4th pax was $650 on Princess. The lowest was $199 on HAL. I really want to try RCL but at this price I can do two cruises in a balcony on another line!

Hi all! I am new to RCL, but not to cruising. We are expecting a new baby this January, so when researching our future cruises, I thought it would be a great time to try out RCL because of their toddler water play areas on certain ships. I looked at the Oasis for summer 2010 and about died when I saw the grand total for 4 people in a balcony: $6276. The third and fourth passenger rates were soooo steep: $1289.

Is this the norm on RCL? Is this just because it is a new ship? I am also interested in the Freedom Class ships, but they don't have their itineraries up yet for summer 2010. I think the MOST I ever paid for 3rd/4th pax was $650 on Princess. The lowest was $199 on HAL. I really want to try RCL but at this price I can do two cruises in a balcony on another line!

Don't go during peak season. It's expensive for all ships then. In October, your total would be $4189 for a balcony.

Thanks Loyal - we are really excited about the baby because my other "baby" is going to be 13 years old this November!!! :eek:

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. Unfortunately I'm a teacher and can only travel during peak season. We used to be on a year round calendar which allowed me to travel at other times - but now we are on traditional.:( I guess traveling on a line that caters to families during peak family travel dates will be much pricier than my previous cruises. When I start to see prices over the $5000 mark, I begin to second guess the affordability of cruising versus a week at a resort in Hawaii. Usually cruising wins out hands down each year - hence its been 7 years since we went to Hawaii.

I'll keep my eye out on the prices - we've got almost two years. I just like having something "on the books" to look forward to. I think we may do a short DCL cruise on the Wonder during summer 2009 because of all the great infant amenities they have.

I looked at the Oasis for summer 2010 and about died when I saw the grand total for 4 people in a balcony: $6276. The third and fourth passenger rates were soooo steep: $1289.

The Oasis summer prices are out of control, even if you booked as soon as they opened. My kids wanted me to book it, but I changed my mind once I realized how much I was paying pp for a 7 night cruise. I need 2 rooms with 5 people and it was nearly 10k for 2 D3's. I don't think it was much less for lower deck balconies. Even the inside cabins were pricey.

We booked Oasis for November 2010 and paid for 2 years old and 9 year old $ 500+ each ( just a little higher than adult rate)

Archived