Oosterdam self laundry

stevexy

sorry for what might be a repeat post--but does the Oosterdam have self laundry--and if it does-do I need to bring detergent with me? I read Vista class doesnt have self machines only the $12 bag...(but seen others who said they installed machines) thanks

Unfortunately, no self service laundry on Vista ships but there is much confusion because the older HAL ships still in service have this. People and even TA's assume if one HAL ship has it, they all have it. A TA insisted to me the new Eurodam and all VISTA's had self service laundry.

I am hoping for a retro fit. IMO it is a major flaw. Especially for a longer cruise. The world changed since these ships rolled out. Luggage restrictions on airlines , etc

Each of the bathrooms has a stretch line over the tub so you can hang a few things up on it....

Do not hang them out of the balcony. HAL has no sense of humor about that.

Years ago in St Thomas our laundry was wet and we wanted to go in town so strung as line of the balcony and hung out the laundry (on the dock side) We have a verandah cabin.

When we got back laundry was folded on the bed with a note asking us not to do that again from the hotel manager. Still have the note..

Ruth & Jim

Rather than start a new thread, do they supply the detergent on ships that do have laundrys?

Yes, they do. It's an environmentally friendly detergent, too. You can provide your own dryer sheets, if you use them.

On the S- and R-class ships the washer is $2.00, and the dryer is $1.00. On the Prinsendam there's no charge.

Unfortunately, no self service laundry on Vista ships but there is much confusion because the older HAL ships still in service have this. People and even TA's assume if one HAL ship has it, they all have it. A TA insisted to me the new Eurodam and all VISTA's had self service laundry.

I am hoping for a retro fit. IMO it is a major flaw. Especially for a longer cruise. The world changed since these ships rolled out. Luggage restrictions on airlines , etc

There are no plans to retro fit the Vista class or the Signature class ships for self service laundries.

In fact -- HAL has removed from some R and S class ships 1 of 3 self service laundries.

We were on the Zuiderdam in July, and there was an unlimited laundry package. The cost was $70.00, and you could send as much as you want. The only problem we ran into was our cabin steward didn't tell us that it cuts off 2 days prior to the end of the cruise so we didn't get the last batch in on time. It worked great though.

Good luck, and have a great cruise!

One thing to keep in mind if sending out all your clothes to the ships laundry - you might want to pretend you are going to summer camp and label your clothes, particularly the 'smalls' (undies, socks). They are put into mesh bags in the laundry room. Sometimes those bags come open. :eek: Last cruise our bag, along with others from two other cabins came open. It was 'fun' standing there with a 'white suit' and a crewman from the laundry trying to identify which undies and socks were ours. :eek: From this experience we KNOW that whites and darks are washed together. I was happy that when I packed, for whatever reason, I decided to pack all the same brand for DH.

There are no plans to retro fit the Vista class or the Signature class ships for self service laundries.

In fact -- HAL has removed from some R and S class ships 1 of 3 self service laundries.

From which ships have they removed laundries? And, do I understand they they have left two of the three laundries?

From which ships have they removed laundries? And, do I understand they they have left two of the three laundries?
The laundry that has been removed is the one on Dolphin Deck (it was forward). I know is was gone from the Zaandam in October 2006, although it still shows on HAL's deck plans. Which others, I don't know.

We were on the Statendam in March. Now that I think of it, I believe there were only two self-service laundries on the ship. One was on the Verandah deck, port side,very convenient to our cabin. Good thing to keep in mind when booking cabins.

Maasdam, Ryndam, Statendam, Veendam, Zaandam and Volendam are now down to only 2 self laundries.

Since when?

I was on Veendam in July and there were four of them. I know because I had 3 kids with me and was on it for 2 weeks and got to know all four of them very well :D

Phil

Archived