Helpful To Newbies - After 5,000 postings

garycarla

While you may mean WELL...we here on CC do NOT tell the posters to "search" as many do not have the time to search...we give them answers...when available.

Robes in cabins?....request from your cabin steward when you board.

LOWTYD...yes to smoking on balconies/in cabins and port side of ship.

Ask away folks...some of us will answer your questions no matter how many times they are asked

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a coffee maker/hair dryer in a BA (Balcony) Cabin? We had one in our AF Mini-Suite this past October. Anyone been to the Bahamas on this ship? Any and all feedback (good and bad) is truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Stay safe!

Thank ypu for all this great info.

One questions I have is drinks, Ice tea or fruit drinks are these free and how do you get them?

Thanks,

Hi! Iced tea, coffee, o.j., milk, etc machines are in the indoor buffet and also the outdoor. On the Gem they also have a cappuccino machine that I went to everyday. We've also taken our insulated coffee mugs to have coffee on the deck. Also, there's always soft-serve ice cream available!

Hi, they provide robes in Balcony and above. If they are not hanging in the bathroom, just ask and the cabin steward will get yours. You can always ask for one in a OV or inside. I would take one just in case if not a Balcony.

Safe sails and have a great cruise. Where you cruising to? We going 10-10-10 on the Jewel to Nassau/Bahamas/Port Canavaral. Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

A often asked question with so-so answers is where 4 people sleep in a balcony. Click here for a good picture. I will add this when I do an updated version of this FAQ.

Thanks to member GDAC for providing this in this message.

And, yes, the pull down bunk is blocking the balcony door.

Hi,

We are sailing in July from Barcelona on NCL Jade for a 7 night West Med Cruise. Before that we will be for several days in Barcelona, and after that for other two weeks in voyage. Being with two kids, we will need cleaning our stuff. So I'm wondering if NCL Jade offers Self-laundry service and how much it costs? Using the regular ship laundry service, paying per piece, doesn't makes sense, since after two almost weeks probably almost everything needs to be washed, and that would cost us a lot.

Thanks for info, and overall thanks everybody for all great info on this thread.

Hi,

We are sailing in July from Barcelona on NCL Jade for a 7 night West Med Cruise. Before that we will be for several days in Barcelona, and after that for other two weeks in voyage. Being with two kids, we will need cleaning our stuff. So I'm wondering if NCL Jade offers Self-laundry service and how much it costs? Using the regular ship laundry service, paying per piece, doesn't makes sense, since after two almost weeks probably almost everything needs to be washed, and that would cost us a lot.

Thanks for info, and overall thanks everybody for all great info on this thread.

Self-service laundries were removed from ships approximately January 2009. They do offer specials on cruises where you can have as much as you can stuff in a small-to-medium paper or plastic bag for a set price ($15? $20? I forget--my last NCL cruise was on the Gem with self-service, so I don't quite know the price).

And you can't put just anything in the bag--they have a list of what's "legal". If you put something in the bag that's not supposed to be in it, they launder it and charge you the regular price.

--Michael

A often asked question with so-so answers is where 4 people sleep in a balcony. Click here for a good picture. I will add this when I do an updated version of this FAQ.

Thanks to member GDAC for providing this in this message.

And, yes, the pull down bunk is blocking the balcony door.

Of course you'll need to specify which ship...this was our balcony cabin on the Sun

92770339_NorweigenSun-Dec04155.jpg.85554bfff8544ad8f1cf98e09476285c.jpg

Self-service laundries were removed from ships approximately January 2009. They do offer specials on cruises where you can have as much as you can stuff in a small-to-medium paper or plastic bag for a set price ($15? $20? I forget--my last NCL cruise was on the Gem with self-service, so I don't quite know the price).

And you can't put just anything in the bag--they have a list of what's "legal". If you put something in the bag that's not supposed to be in it, they launder it and charge you the regular price.

--Michael

Thanks for answer.

• 7 months later...

Just a thought on why some bring water on board.

The water on the ships, while very good, does have a high sodium content.

Those that watch their sodium intake should be aware of this. Between the food and drinking alot of water, it adds up.

Many have found that the swelling of their feet diminished when they switched to bottled water.

Many have found that the swelling of their feet diminished when they switched to bottled water.

Who are these "many" ?

The Reverse Osmosis system used should be removing sodium content.

"Reverse osmosis can remove dissolved solids, salts, minerals that

cause hardness, organic chemicals and other impurities. It can improve

the taste of water for people who do not like the taste of dissolved

mineral solids.

Treated water will not produce scale in kettles and coffee makers.

Because sodium and potassium are removed, people on a medically

prescribed sodium- or potassium-restricted diet may benefit."

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/h2oqual/watsys/ae1047w.htm

I've never heard that b4. I notice the swelling in my feet diminishes when I drink vodka & water. But maybe that's because I usually have that while seated ;)

I've never heard that b4. I notice the swelling in my feet diminishes when I drink vodka & water. But maybe that's because I usually have that while seated ;)

...with your feet elevated while sitting on the balcony enjoying the view!

(Or is the vodka leeching the minerals out of the water and removing the sodium pre-swallow?)

Just a thought on why some bring water on board.

The water on the ships, while very good, does have a high sodium content.

Those that watch their sodium intake should be aware of this. Between the food and drinking alot of water, it adds up.

I usually swell the first day BEFORE I've touched the water.

But the water on board should be purer than anything you can put in a bottle, unless it's distilled water.

Salt doesn't evaporate, so it is not in the ships water.

Thanks, some great info here. However I am still a bit confused about bath robes. Are they provided for " inside" guests. If not, will the steward bring them on request?

On the SUN on the transatlantic this October there were NO ROBES in our balcony cabin, so I can imagine that there weren't any in the insides either. It doesn't hurt to ask your steward to bring some if that's what you want. The worst he can do is say no.

• 7 months later...

Carla--can you tell me anything about the SPA on the Pearl, i would like to give a week to my husband (and myself), how much you think it is, how do i sign up, what hours are they open, can we go into the sauna together, do they have shampoo and soap in their showers. You are by far the most informed i have read on this site--thank you for your wealth of knowledge.

Bravo!

Another newbie tip: When asking a question on the forum, use a helpful word in the title of your post (e.g., menu, Spirit, balcony, refrigerator, wine, spa, etc.) so others can search and find your posts easily!

Carla--can you tell me anything about the SPA on the Pearl, i would like to give a week to my husband (and myself), how much you think it is, how do i sign up, what hours are they open, can we go into the sauna together, do they have shampoo and soap in their showers. You are by far the most informed i have read on this site--thank you for your wealth of knowledge.

We have barely used the SPA,

but --- your best shot at an answer is in the main forum. Some others should pop up with a good answer.

• 1 month later...

hi we are going on the epic on oct 23 2011. leaving barclona going to mami. we have never cruised befor . your post was helpfull. i am anew member and i dont know how to find any one who is going on the same cruise . i can not get on the posting . i would like to ask some questions about the epic.. any tips would be helpfull

maggie e

Archived