Stock OBC not combinable after 10/15/08 with nextcruise

I'm not sure if the date has been posted already, if so, I apologize for the double posting. Perhaps I'm misreading this, but I read it that after 10/15/08 you cannot combine stock credit with next cruise booking.

I asked to have the OBC confirmed by email and received this back just now:

--------

Good day,

The requested shareholder's onboard credit has been applied and is hereby confirmed to reservation #XXXXXXX.

**Please note** Any sailing that is confirmed on or after October 15, 2008, will only be confirmed with the shareholder onboard credit in conjunction with Platinum and Diamond balcony discounts and Credit Card Reward Points for onboard credit or discount.

This benefit will NOT be combinable with any other onboard credit offers and will apply to all RCL,Celebrity and Azamara ships.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kind regards,

Linda Buchanan

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Guest Sales & Service Administration

Heh, ya beat me to it. I just got a similar response from Linda too. We should probably she give her a rest, we've been hitting her with lots of gripes lately.

Here's her response to me, take note of the larger section:

Good day,

We are aware there are a lot of unhappy shareholders at this time. Policies do change and this is one that has. To give you a better understanding of what will be combinable with the shareholder benefit offer. You will no longer be able to confirm the shareholder benefit with any onboard credit offers,(booking onboard special sales, etc.) with the exception of Royal Rewards for the RCL credit card. If you have points that entitle you to an onboard credit this will be combinable with shareholder benefits. If a travel agent provides you with an onboard credit, this will have no bearing on the shareholder onboard credit either, they will be combinable. The Platinum and Diamond balcony cabin discounts will also be combinable with the shareholder benefit. Crown and Anchor coupons will not be combinable with the shareholder obc. As one shareholder remarked about the stock, you need to look at this as mostly an investment in the Company and if you get the additional credit it would be an extra perk that goes with it. If you would like to advise the shareholders on CruiseCritic, by all means please do so as there is so much confusion out there that it may help. Let us know if you need any further information.

Hopefully this helps to answer some of the confusion.

Both statements SEEM to also imply that you cannot choose which benefit you want applied. That makes a differnce, since shareholder OBC for longer cruises is usually more than other obc offfers, like next cruise.

What exactly do they mean when they say "Any sailing that is confirmed on or after October 15, 2008"? What does "confirmed" mean?

If I have a confirmed reservation that I made earlier this year using a next cruise booking number or if I booked a cruise onboard, with both cruises next year, is this a confirmed sailing prior to October 15, 2008?

I'm still confused.

What exactly do they mean when they say "Any sailing that is confirmed on or after October 15, 2008"? What does "confirmed" mean?

If I have a confirmed reservation that I made earlier this year using a next cruise booking number or if I booked a cruise onboard, with both cruises next year, is this a confirmed sailing prior to October 15, 2008?

I'm still confused.

I'd say it means that you have a reservation in place before October 15th, you can get the combo. After that date they won't combine them. I say it that way because I have seen multiple comments from people who have cruises after that date that are able to get both.

Reservation on or after that date will probably have to choose. Easy enough, if you get a better OBC than you would with the shareholder benefit, just don't send in the shareholder statement.

I'm still confused.

I read it that you have to have a specific cruise confirmed, not just holding a nextcruise certificate for a yet unnamed date.

May I ask when you sent in for your onboard credit and when you received your response? Was it through e-mail or fax? I faxed a request for an upcoming cruise last Friday and asked for e-mail confirmation but have not yet received one. Do you think I should follow up with an e-mail and if so could you let me know the e-mail address? Thanks.

I sent my FAX in Yesterday and called C&A this evening around 5pm PST and they showed my 200 shareholder credit, my cruise leaves in a week so they might have processed mine quickly. I did ask for an email confirm did not receive one.

They also showed my NC and B of A....OBC

I also got my D disc. and a C&A coupon...needless to say I have never and will never make out this well again

Heh, ya beat me to it. I just got a similar response from Linda too. We should probably she give her a rest, we've been hitting her with lots of gripes lately.

Here's her response to me, take note of the larger section:

Good day,

We are aware there are a lot of unhappy shareholders at this time. Policies do change and this is one that has. To give you a better understanding of what will be combinable with the shareholder benefit offer. You will no longer be able to confirm the shareholder benefit with any onboard credit offers,(booking onboard special sales, etc.) with the exception of Royal Rewards for the RCL credit card. If you have points that entitle you to an onboard credit this will be combinable with shareholder benefits. If a travel agent provides you with an onboard credit, this will have no bearing on the shareholder onboard credit either, they will be combinable. The Platinum and Diamond balcony cabin discounts will also be combinable with the shareholder benefit. Crown and Anchor coupons will not be combinable with the shareholder obc. As one shareholder remarked about the stock, you need to look at this as mostly an investment in the Company and if you get the additional credit it would be an extra perk that goes with it. If you would like to advise the shareholders on CruiseCritic, by all means please do so as there is so much confusion out there that it may help. Let us know if you need any further information.

Hopefully this helps to answer some of the confusion.[/quote

Personally I would hold off on sending in Stock confirms because a C&A coupon could come up for my future sailing..and I would not be able to use it. I would rather have money off upfront then OBC.

May I ask when you sent in for your onboard credit and when you received your response? Was it through e-mail or fax? I faxed a request for an upcoming cruise last Friday and asked for e-mail confirmation but have not yet received one. Do you think I should follow up with an e-mail and if so could you let me know the e-mail address? Thanks.

Call like I did. Refer to above post.

We booked a cruise on the Jewel next May onboard the Serenade last April. With everything going on about whether they would accept the stockholder OBC, I emailed a request to RCL Investor Relations for the OBC last week (normally, I would have waited until a month or two before the cruise).

They sent the following response back last Friday...

Good day,

The requested shareholder's onboard credit has been applied and is hereby confirmed to reservation #xxxxxxx.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kind regards,

Linda Buchanan

I guess between now and then Linda decided to add what some of you have said you have received. I'm sure I am among the many that will miss combining the OBC you get when you purchase a cruise onboard and the shareholder OBC. Since the shareholder OBC can be more for longer trips (14 days is $200 for onboard OBC - $250 for shareholder OBC) we probably won't have any reason to book any more cruises while onboard.

Too bad... so sad.

Tim

Thanks for the info- I imagine then for those that are shareholders there is really no reason to buy Next cruises anymore, or at least for 7 days and under. Or am I missing something?? We were planning on booking an Oasis cruise next month while on the Solstice but if I understand this right since we can get $100 Shareholder OBC there is no advantage now in waiting to book it??

Thanks for posting this, as it clears up a lot of speculation about how the various OBC's will be handled in the future. Nice to know that we can still get the balcony discount and the shareholder benefit. I guess all they have really done is reduce/remove the incentive for booking a cruise while on a cruise if you are a shareholder - could be worse.

We booked a cruise on the Jewel next May onboard the Serenade last April. With everything going on about whether they would accept the stockholder OBC, I emailed a request to RCL Investor Relations for the OBC last week (normally, I would have waited until a month or two before the cruise).

They sent the following response back last Friday...

Good day,

The requested shareholder's onboard credit has been applied and is hereby confirmed to reservation #xxxxxxx.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kind regards,

Linda Buchanan

I guess between now and then Linda decided to add what some of you have said you have received. I'm sure I am among the many that will miss combining the OBC you get when you purchase a cruise onboard and the shareholder OBC. Since the shareholder OBC can be more for longer trips (14 days is $200 for onboard OBC - $250 for shareholder OBC) we probably won't have any reason to book any more cruises while onboard.

Too bad... so sad.

Tim

I completely concur with you. No more "Next Cruise" or "Booking Onboard" cruises for me, RCL will just have to hope that I book one after coming back home from a previous cruise the way I used to (I tend to book more cruises while still on board, you know, caught in the groove of things!;) ). It does no use for me to book while on a ship anymore. I am sailing next week though, so I guess that will be the last time I book another cruise onboard since I will get the sail confirmed before 10/15 and still receive the stock OBC. Whew, just in time!:D

Thanks so much for the update!

Thanks to all for the great info. I have a cruise for next May and normally would have waited to apply for the shareholder's benefit. After reading some threads here I decided to do it now. I will e-mail and ask if they can confirm that they received my fax. Thanks again for posting the date of the change. This is extremely helpful to anyone with a future booking that wants to take advantage of this before the 15th.

I agree that if you have a confirmed cruise before Oct 15th you get both. I have the Shareholder OBC applied to every cruise I have booked for 2009 and for April 2010. I also have the OBC for booking onboard.

Since we always book while on a cruise, I will sell my stock. I have to keep it until our April 2010 cruise, but with the price it is now it will probably take that long for it to go back up anyway. So I will hold on to 100 shares until my Oasis 2010 cruise and then sell the last of it. No reason to keep it anymore since I cannot combine them. It was great while it lasted, but not a big deal to me. Any OBC is better than nothing!

It just baffles me that they would take something like this away. The people who are investing in 100 shares are more than likely going to be the most loyal:

1. To ensure that their investment is good.

2. To get their money's worth.

I just don't understand why you would tick of your most loyal customers for something that can't cost them a whole lot.

I agree that if you have a confirmed cruise before Oct 15th you get both. I have the Shareholder OBC applied to every cruise I have booked for 2009 and for April 2010. I also have the OBC for booking onboard.

Since we always book while on a cruise, I will sell my stock. I have to keep it until our April 2010 cruise, but with the price it is now it will probably take that long for it to go back up anyway. So I will hold on to 100 shares until my Oasis 2010 cruise and then sell the last of it. No reason to keep it anymore since I cannot combine them. It was great while it lasted, but not a big deal to me. Any OBC is better than nothing!

What if you are going on Azamara or X? With NC they are holding 100 until you use it.....I am planning to keep my stock.

What if you are going on Azamara or X? With NC they are holding 100 until you use it.....I am planning to keep my stock.

Someone just posted over on the Celebrity board that they just applied a stockholder credit to a Celebrity booking and received the same email as the other posters stating that they canot be combined to any bookings on Celebrity made past October 15, 2008. I sure wish I still had a couple of Next cruises left that I could use. DARN!!!

I can kind of "sorta" understand them not letting you combine the stockholder OBC with the onboard or next cruise OBC...but what I don't understand is why they won't let you use any C&A coupons is you use the stockholder credit? Just seems like they are determinded to "tick-off" the people who in the past have been the most loyal to RCL.. I'm diamond & a stockholder but I'm sure not feeling any love lately....

Archived