Can HAL do no wrong? - Ever?

HamOp

Don't get me wrong. I think HAL is the among the best of the best. I love to cruise with them.

That said, I just can't get over how no matter what the complaint or unfavorable comment about HAL, or perhaps someone says another cruise line does something better, some members of this board will defend anything that HAL does or doesn't do.

I think if someone saw the captain throw a puppy overboard in 30 foot seas, someone here would find a good reason for it!

Now excuse me, it's formal night and I have to find my dirty shorts, baseball hat and flip-flops so I can get to the dinning room. Almost for got my cigar, hope the other passengers don't mind if I light up at the table after dinner.....after all, it's my vacation.:cool:

Maybe the captain saw the puppy smoking a cigar and wearing dirty shorts, baseball hat and flip flops...

Why would it matter if the puppy was thrown overboard in 30' seas or 2' seas?:p

Yes, it would. if the puppy hit the crest of the wave it would be 30' less to fall:D

I think if someone saw the captain throw a puppy overboard in 30 foot seas, someone here would find a good reason for it!

Oh, I doubt you'll see the captain toss a puppy overboard in any seas ... he, of all people onboard, is well of the penalties for tossing anything over the rail. To say nothing of the wrath of any animal rights people onboard.

Don't get me wrong. I think HAL is the among the best of the best. I love to cruise with them.

That said, I just can't get over how no matter what the complaint or unfavorable comment about HAL, or perhaps someone says another cruise line does something better, some members of this board will defend anything that HAL does or doesn't do.

Now excuse me, it's formal night and I have to find my dirty shorts, baseball hat and flip-flops so I can get to the dinning room. Almost for got my cigar, hope the other passengers don't mind if I light up at the table after dinner.....after all, it's my vacation.:cool:

The people on this board a very loyal to HAL. Many friendships have been formed on-line and in person and when you come in here, it is like walking into the living-room of an extended family - with a sort of pecking order. Criticism of the HAL is tolerated, but less so if you are not a member of the "family" so to speak.

Having said that, there are some independent spirits in here so log-in, say your peace and see what happens.

A lot of good does come out of all this, really.

While traveling overseas, 3 guys were arrested and wrongfully convicted of being spies. They were sentenced to death in the electric chair. When the fateful day came, the first guy was placed in the electric chair and the executioner threw the big switch. Nothing happened. The judge said "this is an omen. Your are free to go" The second guy was placed in the chair. Same results. The judge said "this too is an omen. Your are free to go". The third guy, an extra class amateur was placed in the chair, and before the switch could be thrown to the Zap position he said "hey fellows, I'm a ham radio operator and if you will re-set the circuit breaker on that panel, I think this thing will probably work just fine"

I think there's a sense on this board that you'd better be absolutely accurate in what you say if you have criticism. Don't exagerate, don't be a one-post wonder, and be prepared to expand on your position when people ask questions.

Enjoy your formal dinner :D

While traveling overseas, 3 guys were arrested and wrongfully convicted of being spies. They were sentenced to death in the electric chair. When the fateful day came, the first guy was placed in the electric chair and the executioner threw the big switch. Nothing happened. The judge said "this is an omen. Your are free to go" The second guy was placed in the chair. Same results. The judge said "this too is an omen. Your are free to go". The third guy, an extra class amateur was placed in the chair, and before the switch could be thrown to the Zap position he said "hey fellows, I'm a ham radio operator and if you will re-set the circuit breaker on that panel, I think this thing will probably work just fine"

Loved it:D :D :D

Are you "one of us"?

:D Wow, Copper that was great, thanks for posting.:D

There is one poster on here that always feels the need to diminish criticisims that people have. People complain ...the poster tells them they have not experieiced that so it did not happen to them. Very irriatating:mad: .

I've never really understood this. I suppose it's their thinking that if they try to make the poster feel intimidated, then the poster saying the "bad" things will go away. I personally like to read it all...good, bad and ugly and then make my own decisions. These posters that try and downplay or make excuses for why something happened are not doing HAL any favors. I'd think the vast majority of posters here do what I do...and we don't need someone telling us that a negative post or a compliant about HAL didn't happen.

IMO, HAL is one of the best, and when I read negative comments it doesn't change my mind about HAL, but I file it away and if there's a pattern, then I'd become concerned. And as a business owner, I know things can and do go wrong. It's what you do to "fix" the problem that keeps you at the top.

I've never really understood this. I suppose it's their thinking that if they try to make the poster feel intimidated, then the poster saying the "bad" things will go away. I personally like to read it all...good, bad and ugly and then make my own decisions. These posters that try and downplay or make excuses for why something happened are not doing HAL any favors. I'd think the vast majority of posters here do what I do...and we don't need someone telling us that a negative post or a compliant about HAL didn't happen.

IMO, HAL is one of the best, and when I read negative comments it doesn't change my mind about HAL, but I file it away and if there's a pattern, then I'd become concerned. And as a business owner, I know things can and do go wrong. It's what you do to "fix" the problem that keeps you at the top.

I agree 100%. You have to make up your own mind. I don't know why people get so uptight about anyone saying anything negative......

OMG - you are all cracking me up!

Maybe the Captain had puppy allergeies - how about a kitten?? Perhaps that would be more "acceptable".

NOOOOOOOOOO the kitten was a suite guest and one of its perks was having the puppy thrown overboard :)

I don't mind negative comments that have substance. When your plumbing "blows" instead of "sucks" and sends debris into your space, THAT"S a substantive complaint. When you're unreasonably denied use of public space that you've paid to use, THAT'S a substantive complaint. When a contracted employee (i.e., spa, shops, photo) is rude and dismissive, THAT'S a substantive complaint.

What I don't get are the trivial negative comments, especially on subjective things like food. (My scrambled eggs were too dry.)

Some of us who have cruised on most of the HAL ships a number of times and have a great many cruises with HAL every once in a while read a post that just makes no sense and is high on the 'not believable' list.

Add to that it might be the poster's first visit here and they don't continue in the conversation but disappear.

That does not absolutely mean what they wrote is untrue but it makes it suspicious SOMETIMES in my opinion. It isn't a far reach to wonder if they have an axe to grind in SOME of those posts.

If a post is so far out of the norm, we'd all like some REAL explanation of the facts and events and not just a bomb drop.

And yes....... we CAN say we don't believe it if we really don't believe it IMO

Now THAT'S funny, John!!

I don't mind negative comments that have substance. When your plumbing "blows" instead of "sucks" and sends debris into your space, THAT"S a substantive complaint. When you're unreasonably denied use of public space that you've paid to use, THAT'S a substantive complaint. When a contracted employee (i.e., spa, shops, photo) is rude and dismissive, THAT'S a substantive complaint.

What I don't get are the trivial negative comments, especially on subjective things like food. (My scrambled eggs were too dry.)

I agree MOSTLY jhannah... Where I differ is that I believe people have evry right to have the impression that their eggs are too dry, or whatever... they usually don't just say THAT though, but rather more of a:

"Those b__tards overcooked my eggs... EVERYDAY... on purpose to SPITE ME... and THEN they have the NERVE to deny my demand for a FULL REFUND. Those dry eggs ruined my ENTIRE vacation!!"

Otherwise, I fully second your thoughts :)

Archived