Ronys Independent Tours

hagges

Have reviewed this board extensively for info on Roatan for our stop on the Legend this coming February. I have read the numerous reviews on Victor Bodden and Diane and Cynthia but am considering using Ronys tours. I feel it is sometimes nice to use the new up and coming businesses as long as it is SAFE for my family.

Curious to get CC members opinion on Rony's tours for those who have used his service.

Have reviewed this board extensively for info on Roatan for our stop on the Legend this coming February. I have read the numerous reviews on Victor Bodden and Diane and Cynthia but am considering using Ronys tours. I feel it is sometimes nice to use the new up and coming businesses as long as it is SAFE for my family.

Curious to get CC members opinion on Rony's tours for those who have used his service.

My family and I went with rony a few weeks ago. We had used another company in the past and were not satified with her service, so just like you I wanted to try a"new up and coming business". Rony provided us with wonderful service. He was waiting for us at the port when we arrived and stayed with us through out the day. He translated for us when needed, watched with our bags while we swam, went shopping with us in Coxen hole, and made sure we had a great time. He is a very friendly and pleasant guy. You can search for his name on this board he has some positive reviews. I'm hoping that one day we can use his services again:p

• 3 months later...

My husband and I were on the Voyager of the Seas (December 2008) for a New Year's Eve cruise. I had read about Rony here at CC and we decided to give him a try after reading his website. We could not have been happier with the service he provided. We got a great tour of Roatan. He took us to a great little shop where the clerks were extremely polite and not at all pushy. This seemed to be the one complaint we heard on ship. He took us to a "mini" petting zoo which had a variety of animals including monkeys, parrots and a weird looking cross between a rabbit and a rat. We did not do the zip line as we have done this before. We also went to the West End walked along the beach and hung out for a while.

Rony is very entertaining and personable. He worked for Celebrity Cruise Line for four years, so he is great with cruisers! He was there waiting for us as we walked through the gate. So many tour guides were there wanting you to go with them, and it was great to have a plan all put together. Our time with Rony was wonderful. He is just starting his business, and we wholeheartedly recommend his service.

Here is his website:http://www.ronysindependenttours.com

• 4 weeks later...

We just came back from Roatan on the Voyager. Several groups on our cruise critic group were booking tours with Victor Bodden but the tour descriptions seemed pre determined. I contacted Rony Bennett of Rony's Independent tour after reading posts here and viewing his web site http://www.ronysindependenttours.com/index.html . The website had a lot of information about the island, Rony's biography, suggested tours and places of intererest. Rony grew up on Roatan and worked 4 years on Celebrity Ships. He was noticed by the cruise director for his easy interaction with the guests and was promoted to the Activities staff.

I emailed Rony, got prompt replies and explained that not only did we not know whether we would be 2 or 4 people, but that I wanted to wait till we got there to decide what interested us. "No problem" was the reply.

Rony was there to meet us at the pier, (even though we slept in and didn't get to the pier until 10 30), we discussed our options and included, shopping(wife's suggestion), East end villages(my suggestion), great seafood lunch(everyone's idea) and ending at a quiet picture perfect beach. Rony turned out to be a great guide, took us to shops that were clean, and staffed by very friendly clerks and had high quality well priced gifts. The island is beautiful, we had several great picture stops, and best of all we never ran into crowds. The east end is undiscovered and somewhat primitive but you get to see what Roatan is like for the locals before the condo's arrive in a few years. My suggestion for lunch in Oakridge turned out to be a dud. but Rony saved the day with a great restaurant in West Bay. We ended the day with an hour or so swim at a beautiful beach. Rony was always available, absolutely trustworthy, very personable, funny, and everyone on the island seemed to greet him by name. Be sure to ask him about the pet iguana 'Speedy'.

Our friends on the other tours enjoyed their time but were jealous when we described the personal attention we received and the flexiblity of Rony to accomodate our interests as the day progressed.

• 3 weeks later...

Rony was a great tour guide. Knowlegable, polite, fun, funny. We had a great day in Roatan. Booked with Rony a few weeks before leaving on our cruise. It was raining the day we arrived in port. Rony was waiting for us with an umbrella. He showed us his island with a great tour. I'd highly recommend him.

I booked with him a couple of weeks ago, I went on the site and emailed him, he called me the same day. I just tried his site again and couldn't connect, maybe they are having a problem today, I would try back in later. Very nice on the phone and we are looking fowarded to meeting him.

I had an email from Rony today telling me that his website is having some technical problems. He can still respond to his yahoo email. Try contacting him at yahoo

Rony's email ronyroatan@yahoo.com

I posted a review of our tour with him this February. We were very happy with his service and the tour. He will customize the tour to your needs and wants. In our case we just wanted to see as much of the island as possible, with stops at a great local(not tourist) seafood restaurant, a clean scenic beach to swim, and a few bar stops along the way as we saw the sights. For a more structured tour he can arrange for zip line tours, museum tours, shopping excursions, nature parks, fishing, beaches or any combination. Think Bodden tours with more personalization and you get the idea.

Tell Rony I said hello and we're looking forward to visiting beautiful Roatan soon.

Mike

Rony's website is down right now. Contact him through his email

RonY Bennett [ronyroatan@yahoo.com]. We really enjoyed Rony and his service and can confidently recommend his services.

He is reliable and will communicate with you right up to the time for your cruise. Enjoy!

I am glad to hear that the web site is just having problems, I was starting to get worried. He did contact me by phone, but we haven't traded emails yet. He was very nice on the phone and I really am looking forward to meeting him. Glad to hear from those who have enjoyed his tours. Hopefully they will get the website up and running again soon.

I did hear from him by email. He said it books tours about a month out?

I did forget to ask him the charge?? Anyone know what he charges???

If I remember correctly I think the website said $25 per person if you have at least 4 people.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Rony's services personally last week! He is such a pleasure and all around great guy! We went to Banarama and had a wonderful relaxing day on the beach...not to mention Lobster sandwiches while listening to live music! It really does not get any better! Rony called me the week before to verify our booking! Give Rony a shot, you will not be disappointed!

Happy Cruisin,

Cindy

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back and had prearranged travel with Rony’s Independent Tours by emailing him. We went to the Mayan Princess for the day and a little sight seeing after. He drove an ariconditioned caravan.

The Princess was lovely and the beach and pool were fantastic! Could have stayed there all week! Water was clear and warm and calm. There were lots of chairs – we took 2 for 5 of us to share. Unfortunately we had a bit of an argument with another Pearl couple who decided they liked our shaded lounge chairs while we were in the ocean. I got out to tell them they were on my towels and chairs – they said they brought them … until I stood there staring at them until they admitted they were mine. I assumed they would begin to get up so I went back to swimming. Then they proceeded to move my belongings from the chairs so my husband went to tell them they need to leave our belongings where they were. They had the nerve to tell him we were being rude to him and his wife SO my husband told them they could take it anyway they liked but we were there first and walked away. They later moved and the husband apologized later.

On the driving tour - Rony took us to his friends store where we overpaid for some hot sauce ($5 but it was $1 in the grocery store downstairs when we checked – my husband was upset but I expected it). I don't mind because I like to support the locals whenever possible. We paid $100 to Rony (for myself, DH, DS, DS and DD) and $40 for the Princess. By the way - the Princess food is rather expensive so don't go there hungry. Drink prices were average -$2.50 for soda and $2.00 for beer.

Just came back from Roatan on the Valor the other day. We used Rony's Tours and highly recommend Rony. Felt completely safe on the island, and Rony was there waiting for us as promised during our phone conversation the week before. We were taken in his air-conditioned mini van to the Mayan Princess hotel, where we had use of the beach chairs and the pool. Beautiful hotel and clean pool. Reasonable drinks at the resort, but even cheaper ($1.00) for bottled water, sodas & local beer when purchased through a stand on the beach in front of the resort- Best deal especially with 6 of us thirsty throughout the day trying to keep hydrated in the tropical weather!

All in all, it was a pleasant day for us all. Maybe our favorite stop, the island is still unspoiled with many palm trees on the beach and crystal clear water for swimming or snorkeling.

I definately would use Rony again. He will set up any tour you would like, or just take you to the beach to relax. Next time I think we will zip-line. Heard many people saying how much they enjoyed it. Rony came into the resort with us and made sure we were set up properly on the beach. When beach chairs were in short supply, he went along the beach until he found enough chairs for us. Then at the end of the day, he was there waiting for us and got us back to the port in plenty of time as promised.

Give Rony a try. You'll feel safe, have a personalized tour and save some money from the ship excursions!

Lynne

Archived