Third Princess Brochure This Week

bjkTX

OK OK I realize I don't have a Princess cruise booked and I have two FCCs sitting here - but come on, give my mailbox a break :-)

Did anyone else get the brochure I received this morning advertising cruises to South America (Amazon River, Panama Canal, Hawaii or Asia) ? What I thought was a nice touch was the full front cover graphic of a glacier ice flow - guess that must be on the Amazon!

are there any cruises to Antarctica in it?

Got me - I went back and looked at the list on the back page, instead of the lists inside the brochure and there is an Antarctica cruise listed. :-)

OK OK I realize I don't have a Princess cruise booked and I have two FCCs sitting here - but come on, give my mailbox a break :-)

Did anyone else get the brochure I received this morning advertising cruises to South America (Amazon River, Panama Canal, Hawaii or Asia) ? What I thought was a nice touch was the full front cover graphic of a glacier ice flow - guess that must be on the Amazon!

It seems like I get 2-3 almost every week (Princess + other lines). Viking must be going bankrupt with all the brochures they send - and I have never even sailed with them!

I think it is really indicative of the state of the economy. I'll bet that they all are experiencing a real slow down in bookings coupled with an uptick in cancellations. People are very cautious and one of the first things to go might be that cruise they have planned.

Scary times.

Just a sign of the competiveness of the market and the need to keep their name in front of those that have an interest in cruising.

We also get weekly brochures from Regent (or Regency) and Viking. Nothing from RCI and NCL, which have cruised on in the past.

It seems like I get 2-3 almost every week (Princess + other lines). Viking must be going bankrupt with all the brochures they send - and I have never even sailed with them!

I think it is really indicative of the state of the economy. I'll bet that they all are experiencing a real slow down in bookings coupled with an uptick in cancellations. People are very cautious and one of the first things to go might be that cruise they have planned.

Scary times.

Same here, at least 3 and up to 5 mailings from princess each week. For awhile I thought it was because I didn't have a cruise booked, but now I have two on the books and still receive them each and every week. They need to take those mailing fees and do something interesting with them instead of wasteing it all on sending out brochures and offers IMHO. ;)

We get mailings from Princess at least weekly, it seems. Also lots from Oceania and Crystal (neither of which we've sailed, but I've requested their brochure previously so I know how they got my info.)

The weird and vaguely annoying part about the brochures (besides all the dead trees and exhausted mail handlers) is this:

I search for the cruises. I book the cruises. I usually put the cruises on my CC. I register online for the cruise personalizer. I make any and all calls to TAs and Princess. DH agrees, pays, and goes with me. For a couple years we were living in different cities for school purposes; I of course, booked all information in MY address but then did list his for HIM ONLY when required by personalizer or Captain's Circle, whatever. Clearly, I am the chief contact person for all things ship-related in this marriage...

I have NEVER received any piece of mail addressed to me whatsoever. All advertisements came to DH's address, not mine, (now they come to our mutual address with HIS name), for a long time I never got any emails from them (I do now), and even cruise docs were both mailed to his address when mine was the one that the thing was booked on and was listed for me (at least they should've come separately to each address).

Why Princess insists on making DH the chief contact and mail recipient, I'll never know, but it's really strange.

Not only do I get the brochures...Every time I get one, UI get one of those DVDs in the package with it...I think I have four or five of them this year already...

If I save, say, 25 of them, can I turn them in for a free cruise?

Steve - I doubt it, but let me know because if it does I have 25 Princess luggage tags I'd like to trade for a cruise!

We don't get Princess brochures here in England - various leaflets from travel agents with lots of cruises from different lines ,yes. But can't Princess stop sending you out these expensive brochures, and use the money on sending brochures of their tour excursions to those already booked? We are booked on a Princess cruise in December, and all the information on the excursions is only available online - so that they can save money on printing! It would be much better (and probably sell more tours) if we could look at the information on the tours in a colourful brochure, which is what Princess used to do.

Actually, thinking about this further...

I have cruised on seven different cruise lines...

So, I am on the mailing lists for Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, NCL and Oceania...

Somehow, I also get mailings on a regular basis from Regent, Seabourne, Silversea, Cunard, Viking River Cruises and one or tw3o others I can't even think of right now...

I also am on the regular mailing list for several travel agencies, the AAA, AARP and several other organizations that tend, from time to time, to push cruises...

And, yes, I am on some of these mailing lists along with my wife and sometimes one of my daughters (at the same address) and sometimes double (Some have a middle initial, some don't--funny thing is that I don't actually have a middle name)...

Anyway, the net effect is that hardly a day goes by when I don't have at least one cruise-related mailing in my mailbox...I always have a stack of brochures on the Family Room coffee table and several tossed around in my car...I keep a drawer full at my office as well--for reference purposes...

Aside from killing too many trees, I actually enjoy getting all this stuff...It keeps me dreaming about my next cruise...or booking another cruise. I'll even daydream about the cruises I can't take (often the itineraries are intriguing but don't fir into our work schedule)...

But, on the whole, I get some vicarious enjoyment just browsing through all of the brochures...

I get Holland America brochures all the time. I presumed it was because of having sailed with Princess. I called HAL a couple of weeks ago to check on a price (the brochure just listed "starting at" prices and I wanted a price on a Verandah Suite.

The CSR asked me for my Mariner number(same as Captains Circle) when I said I didn't have one and had never sailed with HAL, she advised it was the number on the brochure. I provided it to her and she gave me all the price info.

I guess with HAL you don't have to sail with them to get offers as prior cruisers.

Just something to keep in mind.

Not only do I get the brochures...Every time I get one, UI get one of those DVDs in the package with it...I think I have four or five of them this year already...

If I save, say, 25 of them, can I turn them in for a free cruise?

Nope. Sorry. Read the fine print, each is worth 1/100 of a cent, so you will need roughtly 25 million for a free cruise. Keep collecting, it should not take long.

Funny, my mailings from Princess seemed to have slowed down. Maybe they wait until closer to winter to send us stuff up here.

But if you think it's annoying to get those flyers, then you'd love what I put up with from Carnival for a few weeks. Quite often, I'd read something on the boards here, and when I answer, I'll try to get some info from the cruiseline's website first. So, each time I went to Carnival's website, and I was logged in with my past guest number, which is almost always since I go there enough times, I would get an email, or a phone call from Michael, my supposed personal vacation planner. He would offer his assistance in booking my cruise, and offering up some sort of upgrade. Michael would usually phone later in the afternoon when I am at work, and when I get home, my wife would ask me what the heck I'm up to. I had to finally email him back and tell him I have a TA, and am pretty net savvy with finding my own stuff, and thanks for thinking of me, but stop calling.

I gotta say--I wish you all could divert some of your mailings to me! I never get anything in the mail from Princess and I'm on my 6th cruise in 4 yrs. w/ them. On my 2nd cruise w/ them, I booked (handled all the paperwork , using my address- not his) for my male friend and me, and since then, HE gets all the promotional lit. at his address. I've written, called, had my TA intervene for me, spoken w/ Princess employees at local cruise shows- yet,nothing. The last time I called Princess, I was told their computer always generates mail to the male on the reservation. Does anyone have any ideas what else I can do?:rolleyes:

cruizer2d,

I have no idea how to fix the problem--- I think it's kind of crazy that Princess diverts all mail to males :)

(If you haven't, please read my post near the bottom of page one.)

It seems a bit outdated, really. I also wondered at first how they knew my husband was a male... his name is a very unusual one, not American, so perhaps most people wouldn't know if it was male or female, and his title is also non-gendered (dr.) Perhaps I filled out m/f somewhere and forgot?

Archived