Airlines reducing allowed size for carry-on bags

flagger

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D94140GG5.htm

Beginning Nov. 1, Continental Airlines Inc. will reduce the maximum size allowed for carry-ons to 45 linear inches -- the sum of the bag's length, width and height -- down from 51 inches.

Continental spokeswoman Julie King said the change is being made to align policies of the Houston-based airline with those of its alliance partner airlines, including Delta, Northwest and Air France-KLM.

For a long time now, you had to be able to fit your carry on in that thingy that's beside the queue. If it didn't fit in that you had to check it.

But, pretty soon I think they're going to start checking the weights of carry on bags. Most airlines have a 45 lb limit on carry on luggage, jthey just don't enforce it.

I am 6'4" and need all of the leg room I can get. I find it most irritating when I board with my small book bag/knapsack and find the overhead bins full of the oversized bags and "personal items" (often large duffels). Then, I, having followed the rules, am forced to put my carry-on under my seat.

I flew a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at the gigantic bags that people were trying to cram into the overhead bins or under the seats. Some had a rolling bag PLUS handbag PLUS hugea** shopping bag. We're all going to have to get used to traveling with less ~ either the bags we carry, or the $$ in our wallet.

I am really in favour of airlines reducing the maximum size allowed for carry-ons:) . I liked how it was years ago. You checked your luggage and brought a small carry on aboard. Now, it is hard to find a space in the overhead. They are crammed with all manner of things.

I flew a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at the gigantic bags that people were trying to cram into the overhead bins or under the seats. Some had a rolling bag PLUS handbag PLUS hugea** shopping bag. We're all going to have to get used to traveling with less ~ either the bags we carry, or the $$ in our wallet.

I for one am getting tied of buying new luggage for each trip because of changes by the airlines - I spent a bloody fortune for a Travelpro rollaboard because The airlines said that was ok - it ws 22" - when that finally wore out - I found I could't replace it because the new 22 was now 21" - Bought an ebags rollaboard - and it fits just fine - Now they want may want me to scrap that for a smaller one JUST so they can get me to pay for a checked bag. YES I agree that oversize duffels are not fair but let the gate agents confiscate them. Worse still - 3 airlines cchange the requirements -so do I need to buy a new bag to fly those three and my old bag for everyone else OR is this another way to force me to wait 45 min to claim my luggage which may be damaged or lost and have to pay for the privilege???

I for one am getting tied of buying new luggage for each trip because of changes by the airlines - I spent a bloody fortune for a Travelpro rollaboard because The airlines said that was ok - it ws 22" - when that finally wore out - I found I could't replace it because the new 22 was now 21" - Bought an ebags rollaboard - and it fits just fine - Now they want may want me to scrap that for a smaller one JUST so they can get me to pay for a checked bag. YES I agree that oversize duffels are not fair but let the gate agents confiscate them. Worse still - 3 airlines cchange the requirements -so do I need to buy a new bag to fly those three and my old bag for everyone else OR is this another way to force me to wait 45 min to claim my luggage which may be damaged or lost and have to pay for the privilege???

Well said. Just one more reason we avoid flying whenever possible.

I think it's great that airlines are reducing the size if the carry-on bag. I work for an airline, and I can't tell you how frustrating it is when I am boarding a flight and it is taking forever for the passengers to board because people are crammin/forcing their overstuffed carry-on items in the bins while everyone else is waiting to board. This often will result in a delay & possible missconnets. I am a "gate ****" and will not hesitate to confront the individuals who abuse the carry-on size by informing them that I will check their oversized bag to baggage claim and charge the checked bag fee as well. Most of our customers abide by the rules, but a few ruin it for all.

Most carriers who are aligned with European carriers will adapt to the smallercarry-on policy. Many international flights are very strict on the " hand luggage" policy and may even haves 25lb weight limit.

This is not a tactic for airlines to milk you for $$$, but it is for safety and operational purposes ( and comfort). How safe do you feel with strangers 50+ on carry-on bag sitting in a bin designed for 35lbs above your head? Do you enjoy the extra 5-10 minutes it takes to board as everyone is stuffing 50lbs of stuff in a 25lb hole?

If you can afford to pay $$$ for a cruise and all the goodies that you will buy in port/ship.... you can afford 15.00-25.00 to check one or two bags. After all.. Your airline ticket is for transportation from point A to point B. Not a moving company.

I am very pleased to hear this. I get so frustrated with those who bring 2 roller bags and the briefcase/purse that on its own would never fit into the thingy, a shopping bag, jacket, pillow etc.! The rules and restrictions have been in place for awhile - I would love to see them enforced. We like to board close to last and there is never space in the overhead bins above us, so I have downsized my carry on appropriately. I have to wait for checked bags anyway. Not to mention the extra bulk on a flight if you are flying in the winter!

I am also lucky to be in Canada - our airlines do not charge for a second checked bag - they did briefly but have stopped doing so. You could always get the second bag free if you paid the more expensive fare.

Midwest917

Right on!!!

I also am fed up watching people board with rolling ( or carried) bags that constitute a condiminium in some places, and hold up the entire plane while they wrestle 40+ pounds into an overhead bin....dangerous and stupid and illegal.Since when did flying come to mean that you never check anything? Sure, airlines will always lose bags ( unintentionally) but that is not sufficient "reason" to inconvenience the other 100+ people on the flight.

I would love to see all airlines clamp down HARD on the carry on rule ( mine included).

Yes flying (especially enroute to such a great activity as cruising) has become a pain in the a**......but really, it amounts to only a small portion of the vacation. Please people, check those bags, and your 1 or 2 week holiday will only be set back by 20-30 minutes total.....so relax, go with the flow and smile because by NOT jamming carry ons, you have helped make everyone's vacation better....and kudos to those that do.

Steam vented...feeling better now.

I think it's great that airlines are reducing the size if the carry-on bag. I work for an airline, and I can't tell you how frustrating it is when I am boarding a flight and it is taking forever for the passengers to board because people are crammin/forcing their overstuffed carry-on items in the bins while everyone else is waiting to board. This often will result in a delay & possible missconnets. I am a "gate ****" and will not hesitate to confront the individuals who abuse the carry-on size by informing them that I will check their oversized bag to baggage claim and charge the checked bag fee as well. Most of our customers abide by the rules, but a few ruin it for all.

Most carriers who are aligned with European carriers will adapt to the smallercarry-on policy. Many international flights are very strict on the " hand luggage" policy and may even haves 25lb weight limit.

This is not a tactic for airlines to milk you for $$$, but it is for safety and operational purposes ( and comfort). How safe do you feel with strangers 50+ on carry-on bag sitting in a bin designed for 35lbs above your head? Do you enjoy the extra 5-10 minutes it takes to board as everyone is stuffing 50lbs of stuff in a 25lb hole?

If you can afford to pay $$$ for a cruise and all the goodies that you will buy in port/ship.... you can afford 15.00-25.00 to check one or two bags. After all.. Your airline ticket is for transportation from point A to point B. Not a moving company.

Why not prohibit you from bringing any luggage aboard. yeah thats the ticket - charge ya for every pound. Give me a break - Until oil prices forced airlines to look for additional revenue it was just fine - once one airline started to charge for checked baggage they all jumped on the bandwagon. I am not opposed to "reasonable" standards - but charging for Aisle seats, food, water - pay toilets will be next and you will note that now oil prices are coming down the cruise lines are slowly dropping fuel surharges - Airlines not - eliminating FF flights or doubling the mileage to get one - Sorry but you can't convince me this is not a ploy for more revenue

I'll be taking a rolling carry on (that meets the 45" total) for the first time on my flight this coming week -- the reason being we have a short connecting time and I want to make sure I have as many of my items with me as possible in case my luggage doesn't make it in time.

I'll be taking a rolling carry on (that meets the 45" total) for the first time on my flight this coming week -- the reason being we have a short connecting time and I want to make sure I have as many of my items with me as possible in case my luggage doesn't make it in time.

If you meet the guidelines....then there should be no complaints from anybody. Most animosity is towards those that EXCEED the guidelines..."but its only a little bit...":eek:

Why not prohibit you from bringing any luggage aboard. yeah thats the ticket - charge ya for every pound. Give me a break - Until oil prices forced airlines to look for additional revenue it was just fine - once one airline started to charge for checked baggage they all jumped on the bandwagon. I am not opposed to "reasonable" standards - but charging for Aisle seats, food, water - pay toilets will be next and you will note that now oil prices are coming down the cruise lines are slowly dropping fuel surharges - Airlines not - eliminating FF flights or doubling the mileage to get one - Sorry but you can't convince me this is not a ploy for more revenue

Airlines were not making money before the price of oil went up. I see nothing wrong with baseing prices on what you need from a airline. If all you need is the transportation from point A to Point B, and you have no luggage why should you have to pay the same as someone who has several pieces of luggage? I have no problem with a lower base price that includes one piece of carry-on of a certain size and weight, and additional charges for additional pieces of luggage etc. Only pay for goods and services you actually use.

Keith

I have no problem with a lower base price that includes one piece of carry-on of a certain size and weight, and additional charges for additional pieces of luggage etc. Only pay for goods and services you actually use.

Keith

It'll never work. It makes too much sense.

I have often thought that aircraft manufacturers should design a standard overhead bin that allows standardized luggage to slide in on grooves. You are assigned one per seat and has your seat number on it. It would stop the mad rush to get on board because someone, overstepping the bounds, is filling your space with their stuff.:(

Carry on stuff is a real pet peeve with me. Well said and kudos to you for putting up with those passengers that show up with a big carry on, two shopping bags, a computer bag and a purse. I travel a lot for work and I also get frustrated having to sit beside people who complain about being crammed in when in fact it is their own carry ons that cram them up. I have even been asked if I would put some of their stuff under the seat in front of me. I wish more check in counter personnel would force folks to comply with the already existing rules.

Why not prohibit you from bringing any luggage aboard. yeah thats the ticket - charge ya for every pound. Give me a break - Until oil prices forced airlines to look for additional revenue it was just fine - once one airline started to charge for checked baggage they all jumped on the bandwagon. I am not opposed to "reasonable" standards - but charging for Aisle seats, food, water - pay toilets will be next and you will note that now oil prices are coming down the cruise lines are slowly dropping fuel surcharges - Airlines not - eliminating FF flights or doubling the mileage to get one - Sorry but you can't convince me this is not a ploy for more revenue

I am in the aviation business (not commercial though) and yes, weight is everything for an aircraft. You can weigh the checked in luggage but only estimate the passengers and have no idea how heavy all that carry on is. You try not to fly over max take off weight but if you don't know exactly, you have to use best estimate. Besides the amount, the weight of these things can create safety issues. The overhead bins are made to carry only so much. In the end, less cargo means extra fuel and greater range or less fuel and major savings in aircraft operating expenses.

The complaint about all these extra charges is invalid. Your tickets now are proportionally much cheaper than in the past, even with the extra baggage and aisle seat charges.

Carry on bags have gotten big again because of the Checked luggage fee(s). Enforcing an appropriate size/weight for carry on luggage would go a long way in solving the overhead storage issue.

I personally check luggage, usually 3 bags between DW and I, so we have to pay the extra fee vs us trying to carry on an overstuffed bag onto the plane. I think they should enforce the rule and get the overstuffed bags out of the main cabin of the plane and into the baggage holding area.

Midwest917

Right on!!!

I also am fed up watching people board with rolling ( or carried) bags that constitute a condiminium in some places, and hold up the entire plane while they wrestle 40+ pounds into an overhead bin....dangerous and stupid and illegal.Since when did flying come to mean that you never check anything? Sure, airlines will always lose bags ( unintentionally) but that is not sufficient "reason" to inconvenience the other 100+ people on the flight.

I would love to see all airlines clamp down HARD on the carry on rule ( mine included).

Yes flying (especially enroute to such a great activity as cruising) has become a pain in the a**......but really, it amounts to only a small portion of the vacation. Please people, check those bags, and your 1 or 2 week holiday will only be set back by 20-30 minutes total.....so relax, go with the flow and smile because by NOT jamming carry ons, you have helped make everyone's vacation better....and kudos to those that do.

Steam vented...feeling better now.

If you think checking bags only sets you back 20 minutes you obviously don't travel much out of O'Hare like I do!

I also hate people who abuse the policies, but I also hate the airlines nickel/diming us to death. If the flight costs $20 more per person, then just charge it and get it over with instead of tacking on extras every time you turn around. I disagree with the flight attendant who wrote that the reduction was due to safety reasons. Get real. It is all about the money. Enforce the restrictions now in place at the gate before boarding and the safety issues decrease. Don't get me wrong - I feel for flight attendants these days - the airlines treat us like c**p and the flight attendants take the brunt of it. Their job is no picnic.

I would pay $10 to take my 22" Travelpro formerly-the-right-size rollaboard on with me (if offered the chance). I also put my handbag under the seat in front of me. Requiring pax to check luggage is BS. Let the airlines improve their luggage loss rates before requiring pax to check items that should be carryon. If I had a little more confidence my suitcase would show up at the other end, I might be more willing to check it.

Now I do see folks taking on much larger oversized items that have to get jammed into the bin to fit...those, I agree, should be checked.

Just not mine :p

Archived