OF COURSE it had to happen,,,

CruiznWithHubby

Wouldn't you know,,,,

I am scheduled to sail on Inspiration exactly ONE WEEK from today,,,

Last week my husband had the "stomach flu",,,better known as norovirus, according to our family doctor,,,fever, stomach cramps, vomiting, etc,,,we all know the drill,,,

He was sick for 2 days, and has been feeling better for roughly three,,,

And today I wake up with a vicious stomach ache,,,nothing else yet, so it might be nothing,,,,

But with all my luck,,,,

I would think though, that a virus that lasts 2-3 days and takes 3 days to become no longer contagious (which is what the doctor told me), I would be fine by next Monday,,,,

I sure don't want to get anyone else sick, and neither do I want to cancel my cruise,,, so I'm hoping that either I do NOT have it, or it's done and gone by next Monday,,,,,

pray for me. Holly

I hope you all are feeling better soon. I just wanted to give you a couple of tips if you don't mind. When my family comes down with something I always try to clean the bedding as often as possible and clorox the fixtures. I also spray Lysol on the mattresses. I think it all seems to help.:)

It's the season....it's been running rampant for weeks now. My DD in RI had it last week. My family in FL had it that same time.

On Saturday, I saw my DH open the cabinet, pull out the Pepto Bismol and take a swig. I screamed..."What's wrong with your stomach??????????:eek: "

Fortunately, it was nothing, but I am paranoid as I am very prone to this virus. Knowing this, I have been pumping myself with extra Vitamin C, and sucking on Halls Defense and Zinc lozenges for weeks. I leave for NOLA Thursday...so far so good.

To the OP....my fingers are crossed for you. If it's anything serious, at least you'll be over it by the time you board.

Good luck!!

My son caught a little virus too last week .Disinfect toilet/sink COMPLETELY -Lysol Vim etc.everytime someone goes in ...wash hands a lot -I did that no one else got sick

no milk products .Pepto bismal does work

Rice ,bananas to bind loads of water

Hope you feel better

Michele

Wouldn't you know,,,,

Last week my husband had the "stomach flu",,,better known as norovirus, according to our family doctor,,,fever, stomach cramps, vomiting, etc,,,we all know the drill,,,

And today I wake up with a vicious stomach ache,,,nothing else yet, so it might be nothing,,,,

But with all my luck,,,,

I would think though, that a virus that lasts 2-3 days and takes 3 days to become no longer contagious (which is what the doctor told me), I would be fine by next Monday,,,,

I sure don't want to get anyone else sick, and neither do I want to cancel my cruise,,, so I'm hoping that either I do NOT have it, or it's done and gone by next Monday,,,,,

pray for me. Holly

You are aware.....that you will have to sign a piece of paper stating that you have NOT been ill in the days just prior to the cruise? You did know that didn't you?

Like someone that put out the time and effort to arrive at embarkation is going to disqualify themselves from the cruise?:D

Good luck to you.

Hubby and you could not have 'NORO'. You only catch that on cruiseships. Ask any reporter!

Dan

Just got off the Carnival Legend on October 12th and the next day I was sick. There were alot of people in our group that got sick on the ship, not sea sick but flu sick. They were in their cabins and missed out on things for a couple of days because of being sick. Go to you doctor and get some antibiotics. I finally went after being sick for a week and got some, finally feeling better. Whatever we caught on the ship was a bad one. There are alot of people on the ship from all over so lots of germs being brought on this time of year, flu season. Get better and have a GREAT time!

Just got off the Carnival Legend on October 12th and the next day I was sick. There were alot of people in our group that got sick on the ship, not sea sick but flu sick. They were in their cabins and missed out on things for a couple of days because of being sick. Go to you doctor and get some antibiotics. I finally went after being sick for a week and got some, finally feeling better. Whatever we caught on the ship was a bad one. There are alot of people on the ship from all over so lots of germs being brought on this time of year, flu season. Get better and have a GREAT time!

If she indeed has Norovirus (or similar stomach virus), antibiotics would be of absolutely no benefit, as they are completely powerless against viruses.

Thank you.

People need to STOP running to the doc for antibiotics every time they get the sniffles or anything else.

I'd rather have a bout of Noro (yes, I've had it and no, it isn't very pleasant) than succumb to MRSA, thanks very much! :eek:

OP, just be sure you wash your hands thoroughly and often, and advise everyone around you to do the same.

Of course, we should be following this practice all the time anyway. Should we?!!!

Thank you.

People need to STOP running to the doc for antibiotics every time they get the sniffles or anything else.

I thank you too.

I agree with what you said. And besides, doctors have wised up and stopped writing scrips for antibiotics just because somebody asks for it. Antibiotics are for bacterial infections only, they won't help with Noro, which is viral...and to be honest, I don't take them unless the bacterial infection is bad enough to warrant an antibiotic. Your body is fully capable (if you haven't screwed it up over dosing on antibiotics all your life) to combat most minor infection ON IT's OWN. ;) The human body is a marvelous thing.

The only cure for Noro once you have it is time. It has to run it's course. It is horrendous but as far as I am aware there is nothing out there that will prevent it 100%, or cure it. You can only lessen your chance of getting it by washing your hands often but that isn't a guarantee that you won't get it anyway.

If you do get it, just make sure to keep hydrated.

Just letting you know what the medical community here does, we can go back to work with full patient contact 48 hours after symptoms subside. So you should be fine to get on the ship and not infect your fellow cruisers.

Everyone should wash their hands religiously on the cruise or off, viruses, Hepatitis and all kinds of stuff can live on surfaces (think handrails, buffett rails, ect) for long periods (Hepatitis for days to weeks) Washing your hands is the only way to greatly reduce your chances of getting sick.

Even the alcohol based sanitizer doesn't kill everything, soap and water is best.

Happy cruising!!! Carole

Just letting you know what the medical community here does, we can go back to work with full patient contact 48 hours after symptoms subside. So you should be fine to get on the ship and not infect your fellow cruisers.

Everyone should wash their hands religiously on the cruise or off, viruses, Hepatitis and all kinds of stuff can live on surfaces (think handrails, buffett rails, ect) for long periods (Hepatitis for days to weeks) Washing your hands is the only way to greatly reduce your chances of getting sick.

Even the alcohol based sanitizer doesn't kill everything, soap and water is best.

Happy cruising!!! Carole

If Hepatitis lived of surfaces like you said would'nt most everyone have it.:confused:

Think positive. Maybe you're only pregnant!! ;)

You have a sick, sick mind!!!!!!!!!!! (Hissing and making the sign of the cross at you)

shudder,,,,,the thought,,,,,at 43??? I'd have a lot of explaining to do as DH got "fixed" 17 years ago!!!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice,,,but I seriously doubt I had norovirus,,,

8 hours later, I have no stomach ache at all,,,,I think I just panicked cuz DH was sick last week,,,,

Never had fever, aches, pains, vomiting,,,,,just a tummy ache, which seems to be well gone,,,and lasted 8 hours,,,,doesn't even fit the description of the virus,,,,,,

THANK GOD!!!! But handwashing continues!!!!!!!!! Holly

Wouldn't you know,,,,

But with all my luck,,,,

pray for me. Holly

That just really sucks Holly!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you! I whish you and your husband a speedy recovery!!:(

Sending good vibes your way. One week before we were supposed to leave last month for a Med cruise my husband ended up in the hospital for four days. We only got the OK to go five days before we were supposed to go - talk about hectic! And two years ago, we were taking our grandson to Hawaii when he come down with a serious case of mono two weeks before the trip. We had to cancel that one and fortunately, we always buy insurance, so everything was covered. Still, it is crummy to have to go through the disappointment and uncertainty.

Good luck!

That's why Debster recommended seeing a doctor.......;)

Going to the doctor to ask for antibiotics for a stomach virus would be a waste of time and money. It's not good advice. ;)

Unless the patient begins to show signs of severe dehydration, there's no reason to go to the doctor and pay the money to be told to drink plenty of fluids and take OTC medicine.

You have a sick, sick mind!!!!!!!!!!! (Hissing and making the sign of the cross at you)

shudder,,,,,the thought,,,,,at 43??? I'd have a lot of explaining to do as DH got "fixed" 17 years ago!!!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice,,,but I seriously doubt I had norovirus,,,

8 hours later, I have no stomach ache at all,,,,I think I just panicked cuz DH was sick last week,,,,

Never had fever, aches, pains, vomiting,,,,,just a tummy ache, which seems to be well gone,,,and lasted 8 hours,,,,doesn't even fit the description of the virus,,,,,,

THANK GOD!!!! But handwashing continues!!!!!!!!! Holly

That's good to hear. Maybe you just had sympathy pains. Or butterflies from excitement about your cruise.:)

Archived