Anyone Speculating? Mariner Society.....

sail7seas

Where did you read or hear they are upping the number of days needed to achieve each medallion level? I'd like to read that announcement. I'd be interested in hearing the authority who said so???

I've not seen anything like that.

Has anyone else?

I'm basing it on KK's post: HERE and upon your speculation regarding it HERE. From your lips to their ears, Judy. ;)

For the record, I've not read it on HAL's website. Only here.

My guess would be people misinterpreted your first message in this thread and missed the highlighted word. Perhaps there are some posters who believe that with your HAL connections, of whom you often speak, that you may have already heard this information as fact?

Bingo.

I don't know. This awarding of medallions is nice, but I book a HAL cruise for the joy of taking one ... not for accumulating days sailed for a medallion.

I book a HAL cruise because I love to cruise HAL. The days and the medallions are nice additives, but I'd do it without them. Nevertheless, it would be nice if they didn't change the levels.

Before Sail's flight into speculation I never thought about HAL upping standards for Mariner recognition. I was thinking they'd sweeten the deal, not sour it. But ... her speculation got me to thinking and, quite frankly, it would follow that HAL would do something like that. It wouldn't save any money, I suppose, but it might be seen as a motivator for people to cruise more. Maybe.

I book a HAL cruise because I love to cruise HAL. The days and the medallions are nice additives, but I'd do it without them. Nevertheless, it would be nice if they didn't change the levels.

Before Sail's flight into speculation I never thought about HAL upping standards for Mariner recognition. I was thinking they'd sweeten the deal, not sour it. But ... her speculation got me to thinking and, quite frankly, it would follow that HAL would do something like that. It wouldn't save any money, I suppose, but it might be seen as a motivator for people to cruise more. Maybe.

I was thinking the same thing -- up the number of days to get people to cruise more.

But alas -- some of us may not be able to sail much longer.

Oh well -- that's life.

Rita, how right you are. Well said. However, I think that the Mariners' Luncheon is a nice touch.

Linda (50-day pin holder)

Oh, most definitely it's a nice touch, and one that any Mariner would get anytime they sail on a HAL ship. You don't have to be getting a medallion or a pin on a given cruise to go to the luncheon. It's open to all Mariners, just as attending the ceremony is. You just don't get called up to the front for a photo op with your medallion and the officers unless you've been awarded a medallion on that cruise. That's all. So even if they up the number of days required for the various award levels, the bottom line is you are still a Mariner and will still be invited to attend the functions. You're a Mariner after one cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I don't expect anything much with the 'new' Mariner program. As others have said, there are just too many Mariners on board each cruise to make it feasible. However, I don't see the Mariner Luncheon as a "nice touch". They have to offer lunch anyway and the menu we had was VERY limited (only 2-3 entrees to select from). Plus, my salmon was way overcooked. We went to the lido for lunch afterward. :rolleyes: If I go to another one, it will be because of the company of friends, not for the Mariner 'perk'.

Oh, man ... sorry to hear your salmon was overcooked. My sirlon was delicious ... just way too big. I honestly thought I was getting a lunch sized portion ... not a full-sized dinner one ... and felt bad not even finishing half of it.

True, they have to serve lunch anyway ... so I agree the Mariner's luncheon (or actually brunch is how they billed it) probably isn't costing them anything extra. But the fact that they have such a thing is nice in itself, at least in my opinion. And you know what they say ... some of the best things in life are free ... so even if it doesn't cost HAL a dime extra to have that Mariner's brunch doesn't mean it isn't a nice touch.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Overall, I enjoyed my first Mariner's luncheon, but a big part of it was sharing it with 2 people from our roll call.

What I didn't like - banana strudel - warm banana - yuck! :eek:

There was no special recognition of those getting medallions. I've always found it intriguing and inspiring to see all those 100, 200, 500, etc. day passengers.

Roz

I based that post on what sail7seas said in her first post.

I no longer can distinguish highlighted words.

The Title of the Thread says: Speculation

I don't know any other way to say or spell the word. :rolleyes:

Greg: No one is listening to my mumblings! :D

I was thinking the same thing -- up the number of days to get people to cruise more.

But alas -- some of us may not be able to sail much longer.

Oh well -- that's life.

The current Mariners levels are raised levels from the previous program.

They used to base on sea miles but when converted, the sea miles required (converted to days) was lower by about fifteen days for each level of Medallion. (So many sea miles per day though I don't remember the number. :confused: )

Thus, my SPECULATION is not out of thin air..... it is predicated upon past action. For example, it used to be 40,000 sea miles for Silver Medallion and that equalled about 285 days. Silver is now 300 days. An Increase in the new program over the older one.

Quite frankly we don't cruise with Holland America because of the Mariner perks. It's not like being a frequent flier on an airline or frequent guest at a particular hotel chain. Part of the problem, at least to us, is that there are so many Mariner Society members and they're such a high percentage of any sailing that it's almost impossible for any really special consideration. Bottom line is that we don't expect much from any Mariner program review and change other than probably some cosmetic changes.

The current Mariners levels are raised levels from the previous program.

They used to base on sea miles but when converted, the sea miles required (converted to days) was lower by about fifteen days for each level of Medallion. (So many sea miles per day though I don't remember the number. :confused: )

Thus, my SPECULATION is not out of thin air..... it is predicated upon past action. For example, it used to be 40,000 sea miles for Silver Medallion and that equalled about 285 days. Silver is now 300 days. An Increase in the new program over the older one.

In converting from the mile-based recognition system to the day-based recognition system -- which occurred in 2000 -- HAL was going from an easy to remember and calculate number (i.e. 40,000) to one where the result would not have been so easy-to-remember or calculate number (i.e., 40,000 miles = about 285.4 days). So, they re-simplified it by simply upping the days to an the next even figure (i.e., 300) and grand-parenting anybody who was close to meeting that figure. Hence, I don't view that circumstance as being analogous to just upping the number in order to encourage people to cruise more. If HAL is going to revamp the entire Award Levels system, then sure ... but if not, I don't see it happening.

HAL does need to add further levels above 700 Platinum. They need to tack on a 1000 day level (call it "Dilithium") 1500 day level (call it "Depends") and 2000 day level (call it "Pearl" after the gates they'll soon be sailing through).

HAL does need to add further levels above 700 Platinum. They need to tack on a 1000 day level (call it "Dilithium") 1500 day level (call it "Depends") and 2000 day level (call it "Pearl" after the gates they'll soon be sailing through).
Greg - LOL.

In converting from the mile-based recognition system to the day-based recognition system -- which occurred in 2000 -- HAL was going from an easy to remember and calculate number (i.e. 40,000) to one where the result would not have been so easy-to-remember or calculate number (i.e., 40,000 miles = about 285.4 days). So, they re-simplified it by simply upping the days to an the next even figure (i.e., 300) and grand-parenting anybody who was close to meeting that figure. Hence, I don't view that circumstance as being analogous to just upping the number in order to encourage people to cruise more. If HAL is going to revamp the entire Award Levels system, then sure ... but if not, I don't see it happening.

:( We didn't get 'grand-parented' when the new program was instituted. We were demoted. We had our silver medallion in 2000 when the new program was introduced. At our first Mariners party under the new program, the Captain congratulated us when he gave us Copper. I said, what!!!! We just got demoted. Seeing as this was his first cruise with HAL, (Captain Russel Dunford), I'm not sure he understood what I meant. Copper, of course, is a lower level than silver.

LOL...... :D

Good idea about having a level above Platinum. President's Club exists but there probably should be a Medallion level for those folks at 1000 days. That milestone should be acknowledged IMO

In converting from the mile-based recognition system to the day-based recognition system -- which occurred in 2000 -- HAL was going from an easy to remember and calculate number (i.e. 40,000) to one where the result would not have been so easy-to-remember or calculate number (i.e., 40,000 miles = about 285.4 days). So, they re-simplified it by simply upping the days to an the next even figure (i.e., 300) .

The days needed for the first medallion went down---from 110 (or 111, I forget which) to 100.

I had received my first medallion in 1998 with 111 days, and when I cruised next in 2000 the rules of the game had changed.

Sail7Seas

We had the same thing hapen to us. We were gold. Along came the change over and we were demoted to silver. We are Platinum at present, trying to reach 1000 days, before the next change over and demotion. Take care.

Archived