Anyone Speculating? Mariner Society.....

sail7seas

:( We didn't get 'grand-parented' when the new program was instituted. We were demoted. We had our silver medallion in 2000 when the new program was introduced. At our first Mariners party under the new program, the Captain congratulated us when he gave us Copper. I said, what!!!! We just got demoted. Seeing as this was his first cruise with HAL, (Captain Russel Dunford), I'm not sure he understood what I meant. Copper, of course, is a lower level than silver.

I'm sorry ... I guess I didn't make myself clear. If someone was about to move into the next category (under the old system) they were given the next category according to the new scale ... early, in some cases. YES, copper is a "downgrade" in terms of medal value. Some people still wear their old-scale medallions. I'm sure that was a disappointment.

My point, however, is that the reason for the changing of the days required for various levels was that they totally revamped the system. Unless they're going to do it now, I don't think it's a very likely speculation that they're going to do it again.

The days needed for the first medallion went down---from 110 (or 111, I forget which) to 100.

I had received my first medallion in 1998 with 111 days, and when I cruised next in 2000 the rules of the game had changed.

That is my memory, too. A whole lot of people got medallions early in 2000 who were not expecting them. I was seated at the table with someone who was awarded a medallion who didn't realize he would be getting one "so early."

In converting from the mile-based recognition system to the day-based recognition system -- which occurred in 2000 -- HAL was going from an easy to remember and calculate number (i.e. 40,000) to one where the result would not have been so easy-to-remember or calculate number (i.e., 40,000 miles = about 285.4 days). So, they re-simplified it by simply upping the days to an the next even figure (i.e., 300) and grand-parenting anybody who was close to meeting that figure. Hence, I don't view that circumstance as being analogous to just upping the number in order to encourage people to cruise more. If HAL is going to revamp the entire Award Levels system, then sure ... but if not, I don't see it happening.

:( We didn't get 'grand-parented' when the new program was instituted. We were demoted. We had our silver medallion in 2000 when the new program was introduced. At our first Mariners party under the new program, the Captain congratulated us when he gave us Copper. I said, what!!!! We just got demoted. Seeing as this was his first cruise with HAL, (Captain Russel Dunford), I'm not sure he understood what I meant. Copper, of course, is a lower level than silver.

LOL...... :D

Good idea about having a level above Platinum. President's Club exists but there probably should be a Medallion level for those folks at 1000 days. That milestone should be acknowledged IMO

Sail, I'm with you I was demoted also with the new program. I had a silver and the new program gave me a copper medallion. In protest I wore both for a long time.

We were on the Pdam in July/August for the Norway\Iceland\Greenland\Scotland cruise and it was our first exposure to the "luncheon". I think lunch in the dining room on any given day is more personal than this luncheon was. The selections were very limited, wine hard to come by, and personal attention totally lacking. We accepted it for what it was, but the others at our table were clearly displeased and very vocal, which made it even more unpleasant.

Since Captain Gunderson is so outgoing and friendly, we were quite disappointed as there was no recognition of anything except having cruised on HAL sometimes in the past.

Next time, unless there's a change, we'll have a lunch of our choosing on our time. Just off Princess for 31 days and certainly enjoyed the internet usage and fairly nicely done Captain's Circle gathering!! Working toward elite on Princess for the free laundry that would have really helped out on the 31 days!! :rolleyes:

We were on the Pdam in July/August for the Norway\Iceland\Greenland\Scotland cruise and it was our first exposure to the "luncheon". I think lunch in the dining room on any given day is more personal than this luncheon was. The selections were very limited, wine hard to come by, and personal attention totally lacking. We accepted it for what it was, but the others at our table were clearly displeased and very vocal, which made it even more unpleasant.

We agree. The luncheon on Noordam was a way to offer a limited menu and feed everyone quickly. Nothing was given out. There was no starter or dessert that my DH would eat. 3 entrees and no other selections (one dessert etc). We will not go again.

I like HAL but their reward program has very little value to me verses what Princess offers. Medals, pins, tiles, luncheon mean very little. I use a couple tiles as coasters but how many do you need. What do you do with trinkets like pins, medals, more chatzi sitting in drawers or thrown away. What is the big deal about a luncheon, food is free on board already.

Princess offers a meaningful free Internet package for each passenger in the cabin at a certain level. It is no longer unlimited time but the minutes vary with the lengh of the cruise. Last summer on a 12 day we each had 300 minutes and we used them. Very worthwhile reward as are the laundry perks. They have some other freebies such as one free refrigerator fill up but these 2 items are the most worthwhile.

I would love to to see HAL offer some type of Internet package, some type of free laundry package, a service worth something to the passenger.

Every cruise line is competing for passengers, every cruise line has loyal passengers but I love to give my business to a company that values me. Whether it is a cruise, airline, hotel chain, car dealership.

We do like HAL but we would book more with them if their amenities were enhanced.

Crossing my fingers

I would love to see some kind of perk after a certain number of days sailed onboard HAL towards use of the spa. And, yes, free internet time would be something to consider as well.

This is an example of why it is so difficult to set up a 'rewards program'. Use of the spa means absolutely nothing to us. We never go and never will. So..... what one person treasures holds no value for another. Some have said that free internet for many would result in exceedingly slow connections. There are times now when it is very slow. I'm not 'tech smart' enough to know if it really would slow down the connections.

I would love to to see HAL offer some type of Internet package, some type of free laundry package, a service worth something to the passenger.

I would love to see some kind of perk after a certain number of days sailed onboard HAL towards use of the spa. And, yes, free internet time would be something to consider as well.

I have no interest whatsoever in a free laundry package, nor in some credit to use in the spa. I would be interested in some internet time, but I suspect there are those who would find it useless.

In other words, there are no particular perks which will make everyone happy. Cash, on the other hand, should be of use to everyone.

Yes, I suppose a discount off of the next cruise would be a reward that mostly everyone could appreciate and a way of generating future bookings as well. Of course it's impossible to please everyone. And if people didn't use the reward, then so be it. Many people would.

Gosh, I thought everybody would like free laundry. I know I sure would - especially on the longer cruises. But to go to the bottom line, THE MONEY: give a percentage off on another cruise depending on the number of days already sailed with HAL. 20 days = small % off, 50 days = bigger % off, 100 days = huge % off, and so forth. Let the customer book another cruise and everybody reaps the benefits. ---- Penny

In other words, there are no particular perks which will make everyone happy. Cash, on the other hand, should be of use to everyone.

I agree.....but going forward, I think HAL could create a cafeteria-style program where Mariners choose from a list of perks that are normally revenue-producing. This could include items such as spa, internet, Pinnacle dinners, culinary classes & other on-board activities. HAL would need to establish the "price list" of these various perks in Mariner days/points. Folks would then choose, depending on their own preferences, how to spend their Mariner days/points. Similar to an airlines FF award program.

I'm certain if HAL did focus groups amongst Mariners, they could drill down on the details for perk pricing. IMO the Mariners perks should not include amenities normally purchased at the Suite level. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I agree with those that say a discount on future cruises would be the most beneficial to the most people. How about someting like the airlines offer--free flights or upgrades based on miles (or days), or dollars spent on cruises? (Except for RuthC....she gets rewarded in chocolate!):p

I agree.....but going forward, I think HAL could create a cafeteria-style program where Mariners choose from a list of perks that are normally revenue-producing. This could include items such as spa, internet, Pinnacle dinners, culinary classes & other on-board activities. HAL would need to establish the "price list" of these various perks in Mariner days/points. Folks would then choose, depending on their own preferences, how to spend their Mariner days/points. Similar to an airlines FF award program.

I'm certain if HAL did focus groups amongst Mariners, they could drill down on the details for perk pricing. IMO the Mariners perks should not include amenities normally purchased at the Suite level. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi there, I was going to post the same thing so I agree we have many of the same tastes, ideas.

Personally, I think HAL's logo items are really nice (puts Celebrity to shame), baseball caps, sweat shirts, T-Shirts, photo albums. The onboard shop people aren't going to be happy but so what. Right now large corporations in America offer these "points" as rewards to employees who go to an on-line catalog to pick what they want. The points really equal dollars. These could be used for dinner, drinks, bingo cards, or internet time as well. HAL could let Mariners use these onboard or online shopping when they return home. They actually use this system onboard with the "dam dollar" awards but could extend past logo items to purchase a drink onboard or tea shipped from Seattle, or if one had enough points they could even have a mariners dream bed shipped home or a teak deck chair etc.

I agree with those that say a discount on future cruises would be the most beneficial to the most people. How about someting like the airlines offer--free flights or upgrades based on miles (or days), or dollars spent on cruises? (Except for RuthC....she gets rewarded in chocolate!):p

This may not be beneficial to some who already use a TA that discounts the cruises or gives OBC. HAL then may be competing with their own TA's who will complain. Right now when someone gets a voucher for whatever reason, many on-line TA's can only accept at 75% of the value. People get mad at the TA, and don't understand. HAL doesn't want TA's pushing another cruise line where the TA may get a higher commission. If you've ever used a TA that gives OBC you may notice if the cruise fare goes down that OBC likely gets reduced. So, that is why I think a system like MightyQuinn mentions will work the best. For example 100 points may mean free pressing and laundry for two on a 10 night cruise (it was $100.00 this past summer), or it may mean 5 bingo cards, or 20 alcoholic drinks. 20 points may get a Pinnacle dinner or a 20 punch cola card. Mariners would pick from a menu.

That if HAL decided to pay off mariners mortgages and put all their kids thru college there would still be people complaining.

I paid off the mortgage ages ago, and have no kids to put through college.

So, there ya go. There is no "one size fits all" perk that will make everyone happy. So far everything that's been suggested is something I can do without. Except $$$$$. ;)

That might work. :D

That if HAL decided to pay off mariners mortgages and put all their kids thru college there would still be people complaining.

We have no mortage and no kids that need educating! So, now that's two of us! (or rather three, as I must count DH. )

If they want to give us the cash 'value'. that would be nice...... :D ;)

What's wrong with a perk called "Free Cruise"?

There is nothing wrong with it at all except there are 6 million living Mariners. Even if you 'gave' the free cruises to the top 1% of Mariners, that's a big bunch of money they are not going to forego.

IMO....

. So, that is why I think a system like MightyQuinn mentions will work the best. For example 100 points may mean free pressing and laundry for two on a 10 night cruise (it was $100.00 this past summer), or it may mean 5 bingo cards, or 20 alcoholic drinks. 20 points may get a Pinnacle dinner or a 20 punch cola card. Mariners would pick from a menu.

What about those of us who pay for included dry cleaning/pressing/laundry in the price of our Suites? We are 500 days and always sail in a Suite, so under free pressing and laundry, 'high day' Mariners like us would get nothing. Doesn't seem quite fair for us to pay for something we would have gotten free based on our Mariner status..... unless they discount our cruise by an appropriate sum of money.

We don't drink 5 sodas in a year. What would I do with a soda card?

We often have Pinnacle dinner gift cards.

Not trying to be difficult, just pointing out the reality of why it is so hard to please everyone.

Wouldn't seem a great idea to anger their very high day Mariners who spend so much booking those suites, would it?

I have always maintained, the best idea is OBC or amount of money off future cruised based on number of days. Everyone likes money and it is equitable to all and can be used as one wants. You want to go to the Spa, great. I want to go to Pinnacle, great.

Archived