Little Things to Help the Stewards......

sail7seas

I've read a few comments lately that made me wonder.....

Do you find yourself doing little things that might make it a tiny bit easier for your cabin steward?

Do you put your bathroom things on shelves/in your hanging shoe bag or wherever to clear the vanity and make it easier for your steward to clean the bathroom well?

Do you put your clothes away?

If we all did one or two small things, it could save an hour or more per day for our cabin stewards.

Being the compulsive neat freak that I am, these things come naturally to me no matter where I am. :p

Good point, Sail, if everyone did these little things, it would be a big favor to our hard-working stewards!

I also tend to make a point of getting out early (that comes naturally too), and giving the steward time to get our cabin finished, so he doesn't have to keep checking to see if he can get into our cabin. ;)

Absolutely, we do! I can't imagine leaving clothes etc. everywhere just for the sake of having someone else clean up after us! When we leave our room, everything we "messed" up is cleaned up. Don't get me wrong, we don't make the bed or vacuum, but anything that belongs to us is put away.

DH calls me a clean freak so yes I do quiet a bit, sometimes even making the bed:eek: Wish I could stop but I can't, not that I haven't tried...

Our cruising buddies are always making fun of me, they are always saying " you are on vacation, you have paid for them to take care of you". Then I see how hard they work and I feel the need to help out.... Besides my cruising buddies are the opposite and they leave stuff all over the place, hope their not reading this:D

We always pick up after ourselves on a cruise just like we do at home. Put away our clothes, straigten the stuff on the tables, line up the stuff in the bathroom. Just seems like the natural thing to do. I appreciate someone else making the bed and sanitizing the toilet for the duration and they shouldn't have to totally clean up after me too.

Barbara

Of course we hang up our own clothes and straighten the personal items in the bathroom. I can't imagine expecting someone else to do that. I expect the steward to make the bed and bring clean towels and do general room tidying.

The steward is not a valet

Of course we hang up our own clothes and straighten the personal items in the bathroom. I can't imagine expecting someone else to do that. I expect the steward to make the bed and bring clean towels and do general room tidying.

The steward is not a valet

As others have well stated, I can't imagine doing otherwise. :eek:

I'm a bit of, OK, I'm really a neat freak,so I just need them to make the beds that I have to force my self not to make.:D

So glad to know I am not the only one.:D

I have been known to straighten the bedding however ,it just makes me feel better. DH is just happy I don't pack a vacum.

I am not all that comfortabe with someone having to take care of my things. Clearly not 'to the manor born".:D

We sail on Celebrity next ,with butler service ,apparently unpacking and packing are one of the suite perks. Not for this gal ,"don't be touchin' my stuff."

Colleyberry,

I'm the same way; don't want people touching my stuff. Plus, I like things arranged a certain way. Loved your comment about the vacuum! :D

Having grown up in a family where many people worked in service industries, and I myself worked my way thru college waiting tables, I find it difficult when I'm in situations where other people are trying to do a lot of things for me.

It's a good thing that I wasn't "to the manor born", because I don't think I'd be good at overseeing the servants.

Roz

As others have well stated, I can't imagine doing otherwise. :eek:
Same here, although I never thought of it as helping the steward. I would be happy with fresh towels about every third day and a vacuum and bathroom scrubbing maybe every other day.

Colleyberry,

I'm the same way; don't want people touching my stuff. Plus, I like things arranged a certain way. Loved your comment about the vacuum! :D

Having grown up in a family where many people worked in service industries, and I myself worked my way thru college waiting tables, I find it difficult when I'm in situations where other people are trying to do a lot of things for me.

It's a good thing that I wasn't "to the manor born", because I don't think I'd be good at overseeing the servants.

Roz

Maybe we could have a' neat freak 'cruise. How happy would the stewards be to see us board.:)

I have a feeling Roz you would know just how servants should be treated. They probably would love to have you as 'lady of the manor":)

Same here; always pick up,put bathroom things in cabinet;tidy shoes etc; don't want someone 'touching my stuff".

I remember how upset I was on Princess when the steward took my "hung up" nightie and made an anchor out of it on the bed. I didn't wear it and then always put my things in a drawer!

This is even more important if their workload has increased to 30 cabins, even with a morning helper!

I've always felt that the stewards should not have to pick up our mess! I always make sure clothes are put away, the vanity counters are arranged or cleaned off and the covers pulled up on the bed. It only takes a few minutes!

I remember walking down the hall one cruise and glancing in the open door as we passed another cabin. We could see the steward inside, cleaning. OMG!!! :eek: There were clothes and stuff all over! I wondered how he could clean around the mess. I felt sorry that he had such pigs in his assignment.

Although we always keep our cabin picked up and orderly, we have also tried to learn where the ice machine is located so we don't have to bother our steward with so many refills. When ordering room service, we always ask them to leave the tray - and then are careful to see that all our dishes, etc. are back on that tray when we're finished eating. One other thing that we feel is important - when we have an exceptional room steward we make it a point to mention his name if we talk with any of the ship's officers.

I too tidy up. Question: What do you do with the towel animals? Last cruise our room steward never took them away so by the end of the week we had a zoo!!! I love them but the cabins really aren't big enought to house all the critters.

I've always straightened up, on the ship and in hotels... first, I don't want the hired help pawing through my things (I used to manage a hotel), and I want them to be able to get to and clean the surfaces that need cleaning -- counters, desk, and bedding.

I'll admit, every evening I felt bad when we'd return to our cabin, and our stewart had straightened up the furniture on the balcony!! I didn't mean to leave it in disarray! LOL

We pretty much pick up after ourselves, too. Once in a while we'll inadvertently leave out a shirt or something, and then I feel guilty when I return to see it neatly folded.

I wonder if the overwhelming positive response to Sail's thread is due to CC posters' being experienced cruisers for the most part ... ?

And I, too, have seen thru an open cabin door what appeared to be a tornado-struck room. I couldn't stay in a cabin that was messed up like that...it'd drive me crazy...

Archived