Hold on to your shorts!!!!! RyanAir to the US-10 Euros

greatam

Budget airline Ryanair plans to offer trans-Atlantic flights as cheap as 10 euros ($12.70) before taxes to several U.S. cities from Britain and Ireland, a company official said, according to a newspaper report Sunday.

Before taxes are always key words! Looks as if this ever happens, it's very limited service. Wonder how many seats will go at this price and what the total price will be?

I've never flown Ryanair, but aren't they the ones who charge for everything - using a credit card, on-line check in, baggage charges, etc.?

His plan is dependent on the ability to pick up new aircraft cheap based on what I have read. It is also interesting to note the departure from Valencia. This is in reaction to a dispute with the local airport authority. More "hardball" from FR. -

http://www.independent.ie/business/european/ryanair-to-shut-valencia-base-in-row-with-local-government-1510013.html

I guess when you are in an industry with a huge cummulative loss, what is some more?

Ryanair has made quite a bit of money in Europe and has a market cap equal to that of BA and Air France combined. Don't confuse Ryanair with some of the other ULLC's that have come and gone over the last several years. You may not like their product and service but you don't want to underestimate their ability to compete.

I've never flown Ryanair, but aren't they the ones who charge for everything - using a credit card, on-line check in, baggage charges, etc.?

Let’s see: From the Ryan Air web site:

Payment Handling Fee (Each Way) €5

Airport Check-in Fee (Each Way) €5

Checked baggage Fee, 1st bag (33 pound limit) €10 online, €20 at airport

Checked baggage Fee, 2nd bag (33 pound limit) €20 online, €20 at airport

Carry on baggage – One bag only includes handbag, laptop etc, 22 pound limit

Budget airline Ryanair plans to offer trans-Atlantic flights as cheap as 10 euros ($12.70) before taxes to several U.S. cities from Britain and Ireland, a company official said, according to a newspaper report Sunday.

Before taxes are always key words! Looks as if this ever happens, it's very limited service. Wonder how many seats will go at this price and what the total price will be?

Even when you add all the charges and most likely $200 for fuel charges/surcharges, a cheap weekend getaway will be possible. Probably $400 or less RT.

I have flown RyanAir. NOT the airline if you want lots of luggage or any luxury. But for intra-Europe flights on the cheap with little luggage, definitely doable. EasyJet is better.

I usually fly Ryanair, not my favourite but has the two thirds of the flights in my local airport. It´s just OK, if things go fine (which usually go). You don´t pay insurance, only cabin bagagge and pay with a kind of specific card, and the extra costs are minimal. So you just get safe transportation from A to B, no frills, no luxury, nothing else. Beware luggage damage, lost, delays, or cancelations. Conditions are usually tough.

I just flew with them some days ago. Total amount, 2 euros for a domestic flight, and have a reservation for London (90 minutes hop) at only 25 euros return. One gets always good fares, but not....extraordinary ones. The usually sell a small amount almos free, then as all low costs, raise the price. And at the end, if you don´t plan well ahead, fares may be high.

As far as transcontinental is concerned, the key would be a really cheap tourists with a lot of adds, and a splendid expensive business, with another extra middle class also not that cheap. In transcontinental, it will be like any other regular airline. Not all at 10 euros, I am affraid. For the moment, Ryanair seems to be a money making machine, despite the crisis, and of course with the aid of some regions subsidies which pay part of the fares. Consumers seem to be happy with it.

I am eager to see what the Ryanair Transcom, whatever is called, will be like.

Hey, guess what? We're all talking about this.

So what does this mean? Yup: The Ryanair spin machine has done the job of fooling us once again.

Why was there an announcement trailed to be made today (Monday)? It's because today (Monday) was the day on which Ryanair was going to announce some terrible (for Ryanair) results.

So make the media talk about something else, divert attention from the real story today, and then ... yup, admit later that there was never going to be an announcement about this today.

It was all made up.

Just like so much of the rest of Ryanair's crap.

Why was there an announcement trailed to be made today (Monday)? It's because today (Monday) was the day on which Ryanair was going to announce some terrible (for Ryanair) results.

I'm surprised how well they did and beat the analyst's expectations:

"Net income for the three months ended Sept. 30 dropped to 185.8 million euros ($239.5 million) from 268.9 million euros a year earlier, the Dublin-based airline said today in a statement. Analysts had predicted profit of 182 million euros. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=aOux1ttbvESM&refer=uk

It also looks like MOL is out for blood and wants a price war to take out more competition:

"Michael O’Leary, chief executive, said the recession would continue to drive down oil prices and fares this winter and said the group would “continue to respond with lower fares and aggressive price promotions” in order to fill seats in its expanding fleet.

The group is discounting fares to fill its rising capacity in a weakening market, as it seeks to gain market share. Mr O’Leary forecast average fares in the full year could fall by 12 per cent."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/64c14516-a987-11dd-958b-000077b07658.html

Will they fly to London, or are they a airline that goes to off beat airports? That would be good for a weekend getaway to Europe.

Well, usually to off beat airports. However Stansted is not that bad if you get the train to Liverpool Street Station in London. About an hour.

Roma Ciampino is closer or about the same to other Roma main airport, and flies directly to the main airport of Madrid. Milan Bergamo may be closer than Milan Malpensa. However it flies to odd airports like Oslo Torp (about 100 km) Eindhoven, Beauvais, or Frankfurt Hahn.

Let´s say, if Ryanair has an alternative it doesn´t fly to main airport. However there are not transportation problems either with the airline shuttles or other options. Unless I make a connection if the fare is good, I don´t mind the airport I fly to.

I'm surprised how well they did and beat the analyst's expectations:
That's so close as to make no real difference. And it's a lot better than many airlines. Hence my observation that these results were bad "for Ryanair".

But none of that excuses a blatant and dishonest attempt to bury the bad news (including the struggle to break even on a full-year basis) by trailing a non-existent story. That sort of outright lie is part of what gives Ryanair a bad name, however robust the business numbers may be.

Well, usually to off beat airports. However Stansted is not that bad if you get the train to Liverpool Street Station in London. About an hour.

Roma Ciampino is closer or about the same to other Roma main airport, and flies directly to the main airport of Madrid. Milan Bergamo may be closer than Milan Malpensa. However it flies to odd airports like Oslo Torp (about 100 km) Eindhoven, Beauvais, or Frankfurt Hahn.

Let´s say, if Ryanair has an alternative it doesn´t fly to main airport. However there are not transportation problems either with the airline shuttles or other options. Unless I make a connection if the fare is good, I don´t mind the airport I fly to.

Thank you as I do not know much about them. We fly AirTran a lot within the US. Sometimes flights are in the $59.00 one way range. More often I'll grab a flight during a holiday that will sell out at the lower $99.00 cost. They still provide a drink and free headphones and satellite radio.

Apologies Jade, I was being a smart@ss........ I should have put in a smileyface to show I was kidding........... Ryanair is known for listing a city that they supposedly fly into with the actual airport in brackets....... their flight to Oslo for instance ends up in an airport some 80 kms away. Prestwick is in Scotland. They I'm sure will use London Stansted (about 40 mins from London by train) or London Luton (about 50 mins by train).

Knowing Ryanair, it will be London (Prestwick) that they use...............

Not that far off....during WWII, flights from the USA usually stopped at Prestwick on their way to London. O'Leary is just recreating a historic "homage" to the USAF...:D

Apologies Jade, I was being a smart@ss........ I should have put in a smileyface to show I was kidding........... Ryanair is known for listing a city that they supposedly fly into with the actual airport in brackets....... their flight to Oslo for instance ends up in an airport some 80 kms away. Prestwick is in Scotland. They I'm sure will use London Stansted (about 40 mins from London by train) or London Luton (about 50 mins by train).

Oh well, still thanks. I've been to London about 5 times but it's been a while. I did not recognize that airport (Prestwick) but it wasn't like I needed to look it up this minute.

So, going back to the beginning of this thread, is the story there is no story regarding this airline flying to/from the US?

Not that far off....during WWII, flights from the USA usually stopped at Prestwick on their way to London. O'Leary is just recreating a historic "homage" to the USAF...:D

PIK/Prestwick was the original Glasgow airport and chosen due to the availability of land on which to build a really long runway (I believe a 4000m/13000ft runway was planned), and the locale which does not have a lot of fog in contrast to a lot of other Scottish locations. In the mid 60s it was decided to allow GLA/Glasgow expand, and as it was closer to town, it turned out to be more popular. I suspect that allowing GLA to expand will come back to bite them down the road, and that PIK will have a resurgance as it allows for 24hr flights, fewer NIMBY issues.

As for Ryanair and transatlantic, they do intend to offer a business class offering things other airlines dont. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94GJnjvj_3U Although not just yet. This video of RyanAir CEO O'Leary is back from the middle of the summer (June I think)

That's so close as to make no real difference. And it's a lot better than many airlines. Hence my observation that these results were bad "for Ryanair".

Agreeed, these are tough times for all carriers. Any carrier that meets or even slightly beats estimates is doing well. I will be interested to see BA's results on Friday. It is my understanding is that BA gets a good chunk of their revenue out of the North American market.

But none of that excuses a blatant and dishonest attempt to bury the bad news (including the struggle to break even on a full-year basis) by trailing a non-existent story. That sort of outright lie is part of what gives Ryanair a bad name, however robust the business numbers may be.

Your last statement regarding Ryanair's "bad name" intrigues me. You really seem to think that FR's management team are dishonorable rather than just being brutally tough business people. Do you find anything admirable in their operation or would you prefer they exit the marketplace?

So, going back to the beginning of this thread, is the story there is no story regarding this airline flying to/from the US?
There is no current story. Ryanair has, for a long time, trailed the idea of doing a low-fare trans-Atlantic operation. And this may well come to pass in the fullness of time.

But this particular flurry of publicity is a non-story. The idea that there was to be an announcement on Monday was, as far as I can see, blatant dishonesty, designed to do no more than draw attention away from the financial results that it was to announce that day.

Save for the gravity of the respective occasions, there was little different in principle from the time when a UK government official, in the afternoon of 11 September 2001, told her staff that it was a good day to bury bad news, with the intention that a lot of bad news should be released when the world's attention was diverted elsewhere.

I will be interested to see BA's results on Friday.
Me too. It will be a very interesting day tomorrow.
Your last statement regarding Ryanair's "bad name" intrigues me. You really seem to think that FR's management team are dishonorable rather than just being brutally tough business people. Do you find anything admirable in their operation or would you prefer they exit the marketplace?
Their operation is a masterpiece of low cost airline management. They would not have achieved the success that they have without being extraordinarily good at what they do, led by a man whose purpose and talent is beyond question.

But I do believe that FR's management has crossed the line between being tough and being dishonourable. They are dishonest. They deliberately ignore many laws until they are caught, and even then often continue deliberately to disobey them until there are enforceable legal orders in place requiring them to comply. They pay mere lip service to many more. They display child-like tantrums (eg over wheelchair charges) to the manifest disadvantage of the overwhelming majority of their passengers, while simultaneously feathering their bottom line. They show no respect for anyone, whether passengers, staff or competitors.

And Michael O'Leary himself is sometimes publicly obscene in inappropriate places, and deliberately so in order to generate another headline. Prime example: the last time that he talked about the prospective trans-Atlantic service, at a press conference in Germany at the launch of a new (conventional) Ryanair route, when he was asked what the long-haul business class service would be like. He replied that there would be blow jobs on offer. It's true - you can see the press conference for yourself on YouTube.

So yes, even if they have brought low fares to many people and run a commercially-successful business, I wish the company ill as a corporate whole. There is no excuse for doing business like that. It is wrong.

Save for the gravity of the respective occasions, there was little different in principle from the time when a UK government official, in the afternoon of 11 September 2001, told her staff that it was a good day to bury bad news, with the intention that a lot of bad news should be released when the world's attention was diverted elsewhere.

And Michael O'Leary himself is sometimes publicly obscene in inappropriate places, and deliberately so in order to generate another headline. Prime example: the last time that he talked about the prospective trans-Atlantic service, at a press conference in Germany at the launch of a new (conventional) Ryanair route, when he was asked what the long-haul business class service would be like. He replied that there would be blow jobs on offer. It's tr ue - you can see the press conference for yourself on YouTube.

Oh my, not being in the UK I never heard that. Is this person still in office?

I clicked on the YouTube knowing nothing about either O'Leary or Rynair, and I was like, What??? It occurred to me right away that this person made these comments with the intention of getting media attention.

Archived