Chair hogs - beware

coiran

Wow. I take my hat off and toss it in the air to the captin.

Is he headed to Australia as the Dawn will become part of the P&O Australia fleet?

This fleet is historically known for its unrully low socio-economic patrons and drunks running nude and a-munk, and on-board deaths from recreational drug use (e.g. Diane Brimble) .

whats it with the laundy room? they got a boxing room set up there? Some people just dont know how to behave and respect others...

Washing Powder fisticuffs... what next :o

On the Royal/Pacific/Tahitian Princess there's only one self service laundry. It has 4 washers and 4 dryers. The problem is that the dryers take longer than the washers, so there is usually a line for them. For the most part the people using the laundry room keep track of "who's next", but every once in a while someone thinks they should be able to disrupt the order of things. Obviously it's tougher on sea days when lots of people figure it's a good day for laundry.

Now for my lecture on laundry etiquette - don't leave the laundry room; stay with your clothes; if someone is waiting, remove them from the machine promptly; be friendly to the others in the laundry with you; keep a good sense of humor about the idea of doing laundry while on vacation. :)

Me? I'm looking forward to when I make elite.

Yes..there have been many cases in recent times of 'laundry fights.'

On our Sun Princess cruise around Australia, June/July this year, two elderly couples were put off at a Port - Broome, for a fight in the ships's laundromat which kept simmering and resulted in another fight the following day. They were told to wake up to themselves by Security, but did not and carried on abusing each other around the ship. Yes, I hate to say it they were Aussies.

Thank god for the Elite pax complimentary laundry service. Stay away from the boxing ring in the ship's laundromats!

"Laundry"...and..."Cruising", there's something way to "oximoranish" (is that a word?) about these two in the same sentence.

You will NEVER find ME in a laundryroom on a cruiseship.....if it's that dirty...I throw it out and buy a new one! I also did this when I cruised with the kids!!!!

If I'm on an extensive cruise I bring enough clothing for the entire cruise or I don't go! I mix and match my clothing and make sure that everything will go with something else!

It's very easy to do and it's much more fun than doing laundry on vacation! :eek:

If I'm on an extensive cruise I bring enough clothing for the entire cruise or I don't go.

Interesting. Being a veteran of 6 cruises (or B2Bs) of 25 days or longer, including two month long Princess cruises with laundry and other fights on both of them, I would LOVE to see your luggage for that length of cruise if you didn't do any laundry (or have it sent out). This is especially true when you couple it with the fact that many of these longer cruises traverse very different climates, requiring that you pack warmer clothes and lots of layers, and therefore allowing fewer clothes in your luggage for any one particular climate. Laundry is a fact of life on a long cruise, whether you do it or someone else does.

Fights break out on cruises because of a shortage, or perceived shortage. Deck chairs in the perfect location, buffet seats when people use that area to play cards, theater seats, elevators...everyone figures they paid good money for their cruise and deserve to have what they want, when they want it. This is particularly true on longer, "once in a lifetime" type cruises with lots of sea days. While the worst passenger behavior I've ever seen is on the long cruises I've taken on Princess (worse even than when I sailed on RC over spring break with 800 kids), it's important to note that it is a very small percentage of passengers are involved in the antics. But it's led my husband to say (only partly jokingly) that people should be required to take a psychological test before cruising to determine their cruise length limit. One person could cruise for a month, another for a week, and some might not even be allowed on for one night.

My mom had a really bad experience on the Emerald transatlantic last year in the laundry with an elderly man (and my mom is 78). Suffice it to say that she was so upset and traumatized that she went back to her cabin to bed for the rest of the day.....and will never go in another laundry room alone on a ship again. We kind of joke about it now, but it really was not funny. She was alone, and scared to death.

Didn't anyone contributing to this discussion live in a college dorm???

I remember having my laundry removed from the washer or dryer several times because the cycle had ended, and I wasn't there immediately to retrieve my washed or dried clothing. Someone else took it upon herself to do this for me :mad: and piled my clothing haphazardly atop the washer or dryer. While I never would have started an argument or fist-fight with someone over this, I was ticked off that someone would be so brazen :eek:

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that this sort of thing happens on ships, and that the passengers whose laundry is removed from a washer or dryer by someone else probably feel violated like I did. On the few occasions when DH or I have needed to do laundry while on a cruise, we make sure that we are available to switch the load from washer to dryer when it's done and to remove our clothes from the dryer as soon as they're ready - better safe than sorry!

Bon Voyage!

Chris

"Laundry"...and..."Cruising", there's something way to "oximoranish" (is that a word?) about these two in the same sentence.

You will NEVER find ME in a laundryroom on a cruiseship..... :eek:

I'm with you.

Can't understand why some feel the need to do laundry on their vacation.

:rolleyes:

I remember having my laundry removed from the washer or dryer several times because the cycle had ended, and I wasn't there immediately to retrieve my washed or dried clothing. Someone else took it upon herself to do this for me :mad: and piled my clothing haphazardly atop the washer or dryer. While I never would have started an argument or fist-fight with someone over this, I was ticked off that someone would be so brazen :eek:

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that this sort of thing happens on ships, and that the passengers whose laundry is removed from a washer or dryer by someone else probably feel violated like I did. On the few occasions when DH or I have needed to do laundry while on a cruise, we make sure that we are available to switch the load from washer to dryer when it's done and to remove our clothes from the dryer as soon as they're ready - better safe than sorry!

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Well, you had me at the beginning with the college dorm question, but then you lost me: if you had really lived in a dorm, you'd know that people remove laundry from washers and dryers all the time. You felt violated? For pete's sake, it's just clothing. As long as they didn't drop it on the dirty floor, what's the problem? Good grief, it's bad enough to spend time doing laundry on a cruise; having to stand there in the laundry room to watch that machine the whole time would be unbearable. If someone wanted to remove my stuff at the end of the cycle so they could use that machine, more power to 'em. No harm, no foul.

I remember having my laundry removed from the washer or dryer several times because the cycle had ended, and I wasn't there immediately to retrieve my washed or dried clothing. Someone else took it upon herself to do this for me :mad: and piled my clothing haphazardly atop the washer or dryer. While I never would have started an argument or fist-fight with someone over this, I was ticked off that someone would be so brazen :eek:Chris

Why was it brazen for them to remove your clothes from the dryer? They did for you what you failed to do for yourself while you were occupying a dryer you were not using. I think it's much more brazen to leave your things in the machine (several times!) when other people need it.

College dorm or Princess ship, it's every bit as appropriate to remove the clothes that others fail to remove promptly as it to is to use a deck chair that is being 'reserved' but not used. The onus is on the person using the machine to be there when the cycle ends if they don't want others to do it for them.

Wow.. how do you get your own chairs? I've been in suites and never heard of it.. I'd love it. I wouldn't get in a fight over chairs, but I do get cranky when I go to the pool and 60% of the chairs are 'saved' with a towel and nobody shows up. ..so I'm very interested in how to get my own chair.. don't mind at all paying a little extra!

Why would anyone fight over laundry (or chairs for that matter)? I know they do, my 6'5" husband was accosted by a little old lady (about 70) in the laundry room when he made the mistake of putting a laundry bag on her machine (he was not paying any attention and set it down. He quickly apologized, but made me collect the laundry later). She was furious and raged at him the entire trip - why? Some folks get so territorial with stuff and it rather baffles me. To me, chairs and laundry are pretty low on my confrontation lists. Of course, now we get suites and have our laundry done and our own chairs, so its moot, but really...is that what you go on vacation for?

We're the type who does laundry on a cruise. Hubby would rather spend a couple of hours doing laundry (yes, he does help load the machine and unload and fold everything) if it means we take less luggage. So we try to wear much of our clothing more than once. My daughter is allergic to most laundry detergents, so I pack ziplock bags of allergen free detergent. If we ever get to Elite, I might not be able to have the ship's laundry service wash her clothing.

Chris

I have done laundry on cruises and I stay in the laundry room the entire time to make sure that I am not being rude by taking up a machine when my clothes are finished with someone waiting for it. They never have that many machines that people can assume that they can leave their clothes there when the machine stops. Other people are waiting for them. :rolleyes:

I have done laundry on cruises and I stay in the laundry room the entire time to make sure that I am not being rude by taking up a machine when my clothes are finished with someone waiting for it. They never have that many machines that people can assume that they can leave their clothes there when the machine stops. Other people are waiting for them. :rolleyes:

The way it should be!If everyone followed that advice there would be no issue.Personally,i never will use a laundrymat on a ship because i do not want to lose any cruise time.My wife used to bring 4 huge suitcases with clothes that would not wrinkle and were interchangeable.She now brings Two regular suitcases.After next year cruise,off to elite status and laundry done for us.

Deck chairs,i have a drink,walk around pool area,sit by the pool and after an hour/not 30 min.if towels are still on chairs,i remove them or get the pool person to do it.Never been a problem.

...if you had really lived in a dorm, you'd know that people remove laundry from washers and dryers all the time. You felt violated? For pete's sake, it's just clothing. As long as they didn't drop it on the dirty floor, what's the problem?

As a college freshman, how could I have known that this was a common practice :rolleyes: I'm not talking about leaving clothes in the washer or dryer for hours - maybe a few minutes, at most. I would never do something like this, nor do I feel that it is appropriate. Yes, there were arguments or fights over this very action in the dorm, and I don't think it's worth getting bent out of shape. I'm patient and will wait until the machines are available rather than enter into a confrontation.

Yes, I felt violated, in the same way that my family felt violated when we knew that a cabin steward had opened drawers to find nighties/pajamas to dress our towel animals :mad:

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Yeesh, forget about college dorm, I live in an apartment building with a laundry room in the basement -- and if I'm not there when my cycle ends, I EXPECT other people to take my clothing out and put their own in!! (i.e., I don't think it's "brazen" or anything to be "ticked off" about) --

Ditto, if someone else's wash is done and they are not there, I think nothing of removing their clothes so I can wash mine.

I was wondering WHAT on earth people would fight about in the laundry room -- this had NEVER occurred to me!!! I have done laundry several times on Princess ships with no problems whatsoever.

If you know me and some of you do....I'm very "picky" about my clothes/shoes, etc. My purses match my outfits and I can't stand it if I see a spot on my clothes (an OCD thing, I'm sure!) I bring two pens of "Stainz-R-Out" for those "spots" and I pack so meticulously (in plastic clothes bags, from the cleaners-very light), that I don't have any wrinkles in my clothes (my face should look so good!).

That being said.....Again, to spend and waste time in a laundry room, onboard an oceanliner, when there are vistas/horizons/open seas/flora and fauna/games to be played/food to eat and people to meet.....I'm too old and too aware of the time that is passing to waste it in a closet filled with machines and irons!

I'm very picky about my wardrobe; I'm a very smart packer (years of experience), I bring two pairs of slacks that will match at least 10 different tops; shorts & blouses that are light and easy to pack. I bring light jackets that can be rolled-up into a suitcase; I bring cover-up's that are so light my 4 year old granddaughter can carry the bag!:p

My mix and match outfits are highly prized by my colleagues, at work!

Not to brag too much; I use my good sense of design and color coordination to look my very best everyday! I help my DH to pick his outfits the same way.

The only laundry (hand done, in the bathroom) maybe underclothes but on that, too, I roll it tightly; place it into a ziploc bag, press out the air and I can bring enough of that for over 30 days in a carry-on!

As far as having any odor....I'm a Dolce & Gabana kind of gal and I bathe everyday! :)

Sorry for the long post......Someone asked and I'm answering their good questions! ;)

It's not necessary to waste over an hour in a noisy, boring laundry room while your machines run. There's time to have room service bring a meal.

I leave and set a timer for 5 minutes less than the cycle. I don't do a lot of laundry but I'd rather do my own underwear, pajamas and swimwear than send them to the laundry.

You will NEVER find ME in a laundryroom on a cruiseship.....if it's that dirty...I throw it out and buy a new one! I also did this when I cruised with the kids!!!!

Hi there!

I would be interested to know how you would take a 51 day cruise and not have to do laundry? Exactly how long are your extended trips?

We managed a 3 month trip with one suitcase each but that required quite a few laundry trips. Can't say we had any problems with the other passengers. We will be aboard for 51 days on our next cruise so any tips out there would be gratefully received (apart from wearing things twice and not washing them, ugghhh)!

Hi there!

I would be interested to know how you would take a 51 day cruise and not have to do laundry? Exactly how long are your extended trips?

We managed a 3 month trip with one suitcase each but that required quite a few laundry trips. Can't say we had any problems with the other passengers. We will be aboard for 51 days on our next cruise so any tips out there would be gratefully received (apart from wearing things twice and not washing them, ugghhh)!

The longest cruise was 30 days (without the children) and the longest land vacation was 5 1/2 months (with the children); I must admit we did stop in a laundramat, in Mississippi, on that journey. I hated every minute of it. As I said, I'm a bit OCD....so using a public machine and folding my clothes on a table that I didn't scrub down first, was a bit difficult for me!

In Europe my cabin looked like a New York tenament because I had hand washed, in the bathroom sink and hung things to dry in the bathroom, in the cabin and on the veranda. The Steward always got a huge laugh the day of "handwashing"! And, hairdryers work wonders on just washed undergarments!!!

Of course I wear some clothes twice (certainly not underwear or nylons) but, that's where the handwashing and mixing and matching comes in! I bathe; I use deoderant; I don't spill on my clothes and, I'm a grownup!

Just returned from the Dawn Princess SFO - Sydney 31 days. Early in the cruise:

Two women were put off the ship for shoplifting in the boutiques!!

Two men assaulted a deck staff member when he removed personal items from their SAVED deck chair after 30 minutes ;) - they were put off the ship!!

Two men involved in a battle in the laundry room were put off the ship.

We had a VERY GOOD Captain!!

Ron

Just wondering,

Were you the only one aware of this? :rolleyes:

What did the ladies take? :rolleyes:

The two men who attacked the crew member did that happen on a sea day? :rolleyes:..;)..:D

Archived