Beware Diamond Princess

eaglewingks

I am reporting live from the International Motel in the Xingang port at the end of our Asia cruise on The Diamond Princess which left 10-22. The accomodations are mediocare at best. We have been involved with the huge Norovirus outbreak on this ship. Of the four people sitting at our table at dinner, 3 got the virus. I know that Princess will try to downplay this, but it was very extensive. The Chinese health athourities are holding those of us who had the virus in the last 24 hours in quarantine. All are feeling fine now. We have not had anything to eat since breakfast and it is now 3:00pm. We are forced to miss our booked and paid tours and some are missing flights home with no reimbursement from Princess. As far as I can see the moral of this nightmare is, DO NOT report any sickness to the ship medical team if it is at the end of the cruise. Take your own meds and treat yourself. I have never been subjected to this kind of treatment before and I will think long and hard before I book another cruise with the Princess line.

Thank you for the heads up from the bunch going on Diamond 11/23. I know how bad it can be as there was some of it on Statendam in March when we were on it. But even worse was an awful racking cough that started with CREW and spread to a lot of us. I escaped but my husband and my friend's husband got it. It was so bad and lasted so long that I was afraid it was TB. Both men were sick for a couple of weeks after the cruise.

I don't know what one can do about it. Unless it is mid-outbreak, I don't think you can ditch without penalty.

I am reporting live from the International Motel in the Xingang port at the end of our Asia cruise on The Diamond Princess which left 10-22. The accomodations are mediocare at best. We have been involved with the huge Norovirus outbreak on this ship. Of the four people sitting at our table at dinner, 3 got the virus. I know that Princess will try to downplay this, but it was very extensive. The Chinese health athourities are holding those of us who had the virus in the last 24 hours in quarantine. All are feeling fine now. We have not had anything to eat since breakfast and it is now 3:00pm. We are forced to miss our booked and paid tours and some are missing flights home with no reimbursement from Princess. As far as I can see the moral of this nightmare is, DO NOT report any sickness to the ship medical team if it is at the end of the cruise. Take your own meds and treat yourself. I have never been subjected to this kind of treatment before and I will think long and hard before I book another cruise with the Princess line.

Sorry to here about the outbreak. I had the virus on a Princess ship and know how it feels. However these outbreaks happen on every cruise line not just Princess and are handled pretty much the same way so don't let it put you off princess as you could just as easily contract it on P&O, carnival, Cunard .

Sorry to hear about the Noro. Someone also recently reported that there were a number of people sticken with in on board.

Also sorry to hear that the Chinese authorities wanted to hold you for a day.

I am not sure why you think that Princess should reimburse you for missed tours and missed flights home. It was not Princess that was holding you there, it was the Chinese. Health officials in many countries make it a practice to quaranteen people who arrive sick. That is nothing new, and as far as your flight problems, that is exactly what travel and health insurance is for. Since you were travelling so far away, I presume that you made sure that you had proper coverage.

Best of luck and we hope that you continue to feel better.

....As far as I can see the moral of this nightmare is, DO NOT report any sickness to the ship medical team if it is at the end of the cruise. Take your own meds and treat yourself. I have never been subjected to this kind of treatment before and I will think long and hard before I book another cruise with the Princess line...

First, this is how the Noro gets spread on a ship to begin with. Sick people moving about the ship infecting others.

Just how do you think a cruise line is guilty of anything by putting restrictions on sick people in the attempt to protect others from a virus.

I believe I read somewhere the Chinese government was reasponsible for the restrictions for your land activities, NOT Princess.

Sorry to hear about the rough end to your cruise. I think the prevalence of noro on board results from people following your advice not to report their illness. It is impossible to control when people keep passing it around.

Incidentally, the word "quarantine" derives from the Venetian practice of requiring ships arriving in port during the Black Death to wait 40 days before any cargo could be unloaded or anyone could go ashore. 24 hours doesn't look so bad in comparison.

My understanding of the virus is that the problem occurs when an individual actually brings it on board at the start of the cruise and it spreads from there. You can disinfect the ship completely but it's pointless if it's brought onto the ship.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the general cleanliness of the ship.

I'm so sorry that your cruise ended in this way. We were on the cruise before yours which left Xingang on October 6. There was no Norovirus on the ship then - at least we didn't hear about any. Our stateroom (D304) was very clean indeed as were all the public areas on the ship. There were lots of sore throats, coughs and colds though. I got a sore throat for a couple of days and a little sniffle but nothing more. However, there were plenty of people on the excursions we went on who sneezed and had hacking coughs. One guy in particular, sitting in the seat opposite ours, sneezed and snuffled throughout one excursion but never used a handkerchief / tissue but allowed the rest of us on the coach to share his germs. There was a crew member who stood at the entrance to Horizon Court and who indicated that everyone use the hand sanitiser. We saw several passengers who ignored her request. I also saw female passengers who did not wash their hands after using the toilet facilities on Deck 14. Please don't blame the crew or the Chinese authorities for your quarantine. From what we saw, the poor personal hygiene of a few is the most likely cause of this type of outbreak. We wish you well and hope you feel better very soon.

Wow, what a way to end a cruise. Questions.

How many people are being quarantined by the Chinese? Do the Chinese keep you informed? Why nothing to eat?

I agree with others on Princess not being responsible. However, I do feel there should be a rep from Princess there looking out for your best interest. Is there one?

Hope everything turns out OK. Please keep CC informed.

GERTZ

Princess Elite

First, this is how the Noro gets spread on a ship to begin with. Sick people moving about the ship infecting others.

Just how do you think a cruise line is guilty of anything by putting restrictions on sick people in the attempt to protect others from a virus.

I believe I read somewhere the Chinese government was reasponsible for the restrictions for your land activities, NOT Princess.

I agree completely. It's not the ship that's sick, it's the people bringing it on the ship, not reporting it and moving around among the other passengers, spreading it. The Norovirus can happen anywhere and any time there are a number of people in the same place at the same time. It doesn't matter if it's a plane, a ship, a school or a meeting of some sort. The virus is very common and is easily spread by people not taking the proper precautions and not isolating themselves in order not to spread it.

Other than medical services while onboard the ship, Princess doesn't owe you anything. If anything, it's the passengers who spread the virus that owe you something. And, your insurance should cover your expenses so I'm not sure where or why you think Princess should pay you. That's what insurance is for.

Not a good way to end your cruise - so very sorry.

This is not the fault of Princess. If people do what you are suggesting and don't take themselves out of circulation then Noro spreads. Please don't do this.

My husband works in several retirement and Alzheimers facilities and they frequently have outbreaks. They shut down - he will be told not to come.

Sorry to hear about the Noro. Someone also recently reported that there were a number of people sticken with in on board.

Also sorry to hear that the Chinese authorities wanted to hold you for a day.

I am not sure why you think that Princess should reimburse you for missed tours and missed flights home. It was not Princess that was holding you there, it was the Chinese. Health officials in many countries make it a practice to quaranteen people who arrive sick. That is nothing new, and as far as your flight problems, that is exactly what travel and health insurance is for. Since you were travelling so far away, I presume that you made sure that you had proper coverage.

Best of luck and we hope that you continue to feel better.

Having been quaranteened for 2 days on a Princess pre cruise tour I can tell you that Princess handled our experience superbly.

We missed the embarkation in Vancouver but Princess arranged, and paid for, flights from Kamloops to Ketchikan, which included an overnight in Seattle, and there we caught up with our cruise.

In addition Princess credited our onboard account with the lost days and sent us a cheque to cover the balance that we had not managed to spend. Then we received a further compensation package when we got home to put towards another cruise.

All this was on top of chocolate covered strawberries and champagne delivered to our stateroom in Ketchikan, and a hamper despatched to our home address after everything had been sorted out.

Just one of the reasons we continue to cruise with Princess.

Archived