Can you book with cash?

ktravis

All my credit cards have been sent to credit card heaven. Can you book with cash?

Does that mean you owe money to the CC companies and really should not be cruising?

Paying cash is not a good idea. If the operator goes bankrupt you have no recourse.

The short answer is: yes, you can depending on the travel agent's (or cruise lines) policies of course.

As the other poster pointed out -- and this was brought home to many just this week when a major internet cruise travel agency went out of business with no warning -- you do not have any recourse for the return of your money should something like this happen IF you pay cash.

All my credit cards have been sent to credit card heaven. Can you book with cash?

The answer would depend on how you try to book your cruise.

With a local brick & mortar TA the answer is generally yes.

Directly with the cruise line or with a online agency if "cash" means a check card, again the answer is generally yes.

If you mean a check or money order, the answer could be yes depending on the policies of the line or agency. They can hold the reservation for several days pending receipt of the check or money order.

I will not debate the relative merits of Credit Card vs Debit Card vs Cash. That is up to your preferences.

Rich

No, that means I am paying as you go. The ecomony is so bad you may not have the money tomorrow. But thanks for your concern.

Also note that the cruise lines will require you to leave so much money per day on an account to cover on board purchases. On HAL is is $60.00 per day so for a 10 night cruise for two you would have to leave $1,200.00 at the front desk.

As the other poster pointed out -- and this was brought home to many just this week when a major internet cruise travel agency went out of business with no warning -- you do not have any recourse for the return of your money should something like this happen IF you pay cash.

Paying off your credit card in full each month is just the same as paying cash--but with the safeguards.

Defrost your credit card. Put down your deposit, your flights and the insurance. Put your card back in the deep freeze until it is final payment time and pay off that credit card bill the moment it comes in the door!

No, that means I am paying as you go. The ecomony is so bad you may not have the money tomorrow. But thanks for your concern.

We do not have credit cards either - have not had any for years :D! BUT we do have a VISA debit card that works just like a credit card as far as our TA and the cruise line is concerned. Also works for your onboard account. We have never had a problem.

A Debit Card is the same as cash, as you have to have the cash in your checking account. Now I am assuming you have a checking or savings account. IF you do not have one, I would strongly suggest you open one. Even if you only use it for times such as this. Your debit/VISA card can be tied to either account. Both of our pay checks are auto electronic deposit so if we get paid while we are away we can use any ATM and have access to that money also, if we want it.

Have a Great Cruise!

We do not have credit cards either - have not had any for years :D! BUT we do have a VISA debit card that works just like a credit card as far as our TA and the cruise line is concerned. Also works for your onboard account. We have never had a problem.

That's fine, but people need to be aware that they do not have the same legal protection available with a debit card, as they do with a credit card.

Really-- find a credit card that gives awesome returns in terms of hotel nights or flier miles, make them keep the limit really low and never use the card till after you've written the check to pay for it.

Then you never pay interest and never overspend.

Working with cash is more risky than using checks and credit cards, with proper discipline, can reap great rewards with almost no risk (and protections you do not get from cash).

Paying off your credit card in full each month is just the same as paying cash--but with the safeguards.

Defrost your credit card. Put down your deposit, your flights and the insurance. Put your card back in the deep freeze until it is final payment time and pay off that credit card bill the moment it comes in the door!

Very good advice. Debit cards do not carry all the safeguards that credit cards do.

Archived