No tiles? and Mariner perks

CrabbyHarper

HAL has 6 million living Mariners.

It is well acknowledged throughout the industry that HAL has the highest percentage of returning guests.

It is rare for us to be on a cruise when there are not at least 70% of the guests aboard being Mariners.

Please indicate/quote your accurate source(s) for this information!

Here's some more info on HAL's "repeat customers" from Capt. Schoonderbeek's blog:

"Sailing from Tampa results in a very high repeater rate of return guests and thus we had two luncheons again with the members of the “Most Honorable Society of Holland America Line Mariners”. The company as a whole averages over 60% in return guests which is the highest number in the premium market and for the Veendam it is at the moment over the 70%. A result to be pleased with as it must mean that the guests do enjoy being on the Veendam."

Interesting statistic on repeaters. We think HAL is very nice but also like Princess and have tried others. Princess has a very high repeat rate as well, I cannot quote statistics.

We're baby boomers, we see lots of people our age or much older on HAL.

HAL needs to modernize the repeat passenger program to attract and retain younger generations.

Our kids are very impressed when they are on Princess with us and see the perks, especially Internet. They did one HAL cruise with us in Europe.

At my age a tile means nothing to me. Pins mean nothing to me. Younger people would probably not care either.

The Princess perks are much more worthwhile- free Internet, laundry stand out and I hope these are under consideration.

Just had a quick look at my tiles - all but one have cork stuck to the bottom - the one wiithout cork is from 1995 Sttendam and it says Made in England. Recall breaking a tile and before I threw it away I picked the cork off and it said made in China.

Also wonder if HAL is still giving Mariners plates to celebrate an Inaugural Cruise. Have an 8" plate for the 1996 Veendam Inaugural that was made by Royal Goedewaagen in Holland. Also received a 7" square tile for the same Inaugural but it is corked so can't tell where made. So it appears the tiles are made around the world. Solocanadian:)

Also wonder if HAL is still giving Mariners plates to celebrate an Inaugural Cruise.

Yes, they are. I have one from the E-dam inaugural cruise to match the one from the Noordam's inaugural year.

They both came from the Netherlands.

Hee hee - that's exactly what we do with our tiles! It's not that we don't appreciate them, it's just that we're not big on collecting them.

I don't collect them per se, but they make awfully good coasters and that's what I use them for. I have some on my desk here at home, some in the living room and even one on my desk at work.

It's great to have them if you can put them to practical use.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Here's some more info on HAL's "repeat customers" from Capt. Schoonderbeek's blog:

If you think that rate's high, try sailing an extended voyage. I think the Matre'd told me that the repeater rate on our 35-day voyage on the Statendam was something like 90%. They had to have three Mariner ceremonies and luncheons just to accommodate everyone.

Blue skies ...

--rita

HAL has 6 million living Mariners.

It is well acknowledged throughout the industry that HAL has the highest percentage of returning guests.

It is rare for us to be on a cruise when there are not at least 70% of the guests aboard being Mariners.

I think HAL and Cunard are pretty much neck to neck in this regard. They have a lot of repeaters too.

Blue skies ...

--rita

... most of us return because of the fantastic crews, beautifully elegant ships loaded with beautiful art and flowers, the lovely touches not found on other lines such as handcloths in the restrooms vs paper towels and flowers even in restrooms......

HAL is not alone....you'll find all of the above on Crystal.

HAL is not alone....you'll find all of the above on Crystal.

Yes, probably. But I won't find HAL crews on any line but HAL and, to our mind, there are NO crews that compare to the crew on Maasdam, Noordam and all the other 'dam' ships. :)

Why would I "stray" to Crystal when I am having the cruises we love right where we are? Our cruises aren't broke and don't need fixing. After about 55+ of them on HAL, I'm quite sure we know what we want.

(That is not to say we haven't tried other lines as we have........more than 15 -20 cruises (approx) on others.)

I think HAL and Cunard are pretty much neck to neck in this regard. They have a lot of repeaters too.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Have you researched at all to verify this?

I'm interested ....... and think you will find HAL in the lead.

Yes, probably. But I won't find HAL crews on any line but HAL and, to our mind, there are NO crews that compare to the crew on Maasdam, Noordam and all the other 'dam' ships. :)

Why would I "stray" to Crystal when I am having the cruises we love right where we are? Our cruises aren't broke and don't need fixing. After about 55+ of them on HAL, I'm quite sure we know what we want.

It's not "probably" that you will find those amenties on Crystal, it's "definitely".

I was not trying to get you to leave HAL; it never occurred to me.

HAL is one of the best cruiselines in the world.

Do you recall that you had written that other cruiselines don't have the amenities you mentioned ?

I was just commenting that yes, they do, and Crystal is one of them.

What does this have to do with anything here??????

Well, allow me to 'splain that to ya, ready??????

The OP was told by Ryndam's Front Office personnel that the company that makes the tiles is out of business

The above referenced link is the website of Royal Goedewagen, the company that makes the tiles

Their website is up and running

Me thinks they're still in business - Poster Kimrb thinks so also, actually confirms that

Cool beans!:)

It's not "probably" that you will find those amenties on Crystal, it's "definitely".

I was not trying to get you to leave HAL; it never occurred to me.

HAL is one of the best cruiselines in the world.

Do you recall that you had written that other cruiselines don't have the amenities you mentioned ?

No, I don't recall and truthfully have no plans to look back and find it. I'll make every effort to be more precise in the future. :)

I was just commenting that yes, they do, and Crystal is one of them.

Again, Crystal holds no interest for me. DH and I decided that long ago.

:

[quote name='sail7seas;17122631

Again' date=' Crystal holds no interest for me. DH and I decided that long ago.[/b']

:

Please stop.

Whether you like Crystal or not is of no interest to me, and has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to me there were tiles everywhere I looked on that ship!!

We got 2 but the new ones don't have the ship name like our old ones did, they just say "holland america". They were handed out at the Mariner Brunch.

We use ours for coasters at our cottage. They are big enough even for big mugs or giant beers.... and sort of match our decor... Vintage tacky!

:D

Archived