No tiles? and Mariner perks

CrabbyHarper

Just off the Westerdam this morning (November 16-23) and our tiles were in our mailbox outside our door the night before we got into FTL.

Your tiles SHOULD have placed INSIDE your stateroom and NOT in the mailbox outside your door! Ours were, (by our cabin steward)! It would be TOO easy for someone to perhaps consider "retrieving" your tiles for themselves from your mailbox!

On our recent Ryndam cruise - Nov 1 - there were no tiles given to Mariners! We really missed this. I called the Front Office and was told that tiles are no longer available becuase the factory making them is out of business.

Is this true across the fleet?

Also, I am disappointed in Mariner perks - or lack of them. The only thing for Mariners was a brunch on the last sea day, and one had to make reservations for this.

Sheesh - even a coupon for a free laundry bag or free cup of coffee would have been appreciated.

We are up to 43 days and don't feel much of an incentive to cross the line into the next Mariner category.

We got tiles of our Nov 22 and Nov 29 Eurodam cruises.

DH and I just sailed on a 10-day Noordam cruise and there were two B2B Mariner brunches because there were so many of us. We all received tiles, so not sure why you didn't. The invitation was in our cabin a few days before the event and we were to RSVP only if we were not going to attend so that the tiles could be delivered to our cabin instead. The food was great.

HAL is not alone....you'll find all of the above on Crystal.

And you'll pay two to three times more for it there too.

As I've said many times before on these boards, true ... HAL does not have a past passenger loyalty program anywhere on the level of some of the other cruise lines. But, I don't care. I don't take a cruise to get past passenger perks. I take it to have a wonderful vacation in an environment that pleases me. So far HAL has always come through and I've disembarked after every cruise only wishing I could stay onboard.

As long as HAL keeps providing me with cruise experiences that I absolutely love, I'll keep coming back ... even if they gave me ZILCH for past passenger loyalty.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We just got back from the Westerdam (Nov 30-Dec 7). We had to fill out a survey about our previous cruises and turn it into the office, which we did (this was our third time on HAL) . Last day of the cruise we got our tiles but no invite to the Mariner's luncheon not sure if they even had one.

Needless to say we will sail HAL again. We love the service but it sure would be nice if they would give us Mariner's some more perks.

I know I'm late to this thread, but I thought I'd go back to some earlier remarks and offer up a few thoughts.

Here's what 150 days or 15 voyages get you on Cunard, and their repeat rate likely beats HAL (average age does too, probably!):

• Diamond Cunarder Pin
  • Priority check-in and embarkation in New York and Southampton, England*
  • Up to eight hours of complimentary internet**
  • Complimentary member-exclusive Wine Tasting
  • 20% Discount on Dry Cleaning and Laundry Services
  • 10% Discount on White Star Luggage Service
  • Invitation to the onboard Senior Officers' Party
  • Disembarkation Lounge
  • Priority Luggage Delivery
  • Preferred Onboard Sales Appointments
  • Complimentary lunch at Todd English (Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria only)

If I were at 150+ days on HAL, I would be livid!

I have more than 150 days on HAL, but I am not livid ... just realistic. I cruise HAL because I love their ships, their crews, their traditions, and their itineraries, not for Mariner perks. Would I like it if HAL treated 100+ day Mariners better? Sure I would, but I am also aware that HAL doesn't really value us all that highly because they're trying to shift their passenger base to younger and less-experienced so-as to boost . Yes, on the one hand they do want us to keep cruising with them (many of us cruise 2 and 3 times a year, often on the longer and more expensive itineraries), but on the other hand they won't shed too many crocodile tears if we quit cruising with them because they expect to just replace each of us with 2 or 3 new Mariners who may cruise less frequently but who spend more money aboard ship.

So long as HAL keeps providing me with cruise experiences which I enjoy, I'll keep cruising with them. If, however, their product so changes as to no longer provide the experience I'm looking for in a cruise, I'll go elsewhere. It's also possible that, in trying another Line (Cunard), I may find they now provide more of what I'm looking for and I may end up cruising HAL less. We'll see what happens. Right now I have 42 days booked in 2009 -- 10 days in January on the Noordam, 14 Days in May on the Ryndam and the Amsterdam, and 18 days in Oct/November on the Rotterdam; beyond that, I don't know what I'm doing next. How HAL does on these next 4 cruises will determine how much more I'm going to be cruising with them.

And here are the two Eurodam Inaugural Plates. Note the differences between the first one, which was for those who attended the actual ceremony:

plate01.JPG

... and the second one, which is for those on the Inaugural Season cruises:

plate02.JPG

I have both hanging on my HAL Shrine Wall in my living room, near my Noordam plate.

We just got back from the Westerdam (Nov 30-Dec 7). We had to fill out a survey about our previous cruises and turn it into the office, which we did (this was our third time on HAL) . Last day of the cruise we got our tiles but no invite to the Mariner's luncheon not sure if they even had one.

Needless to say we will sail HAL again. We love the service but it sure would be nice if they would give us Mariner's some more perks.

Were there trays in the Lido?

I think the program is just another way to advertize. Be careful as the lowest prices are not always included in the promotions.

For example on my next cruise I jumped on a 3 day sale and on the 4th day another sale to the public had a lowere price. HAL refused to give me the lower price.

It's also possible that, in trying another Line (Cunard), I may find they now provide more of what I'm looking for and I may end up cruising HAL less. We'll see what happens.

I did one sailing on Cunard ... a 6-day TransAtlantic on the QE2 ... and I loved it. I can only imagine their other ships are equally as nice.

The main "issue" I have with Cunard is the incredible formality onboard ... on my cruise on the QE2, EVERY night except for embarkation night, was formal ... and they sure do mean formal. Can't take that. It's just not my style. So I probably won't be returning to Cunard again.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Would I like it if HAL treated 100+ day Mariners better? Sure I would, but I am also aware that HAL doesn't really value us all that highly because they're trying to shift their passenger base to younger and less-experienced so-as to boost

I do agree with you in some respects ... HAL is changing their focus ... especially for their larger ships. They want families, families and more families onboard. But, I don't know if that's entirely the reason why they don't give their Mariner's a whole lot in the way of perks. I think it could be that HAL just has so many repeat passengers (Mariners) that it would simply be impossible to do so.

The other lines, like Princess, RCI, etc. ... I get the feeling they get cruisers who are generally not the type to have any real brand loyalty. They are looking for a cruise in a certain time frame, to a certain destination. They sail on the ship that gives them the best deal ... whether that be HAL, RCI, Carnival or Princess. The next year, if and when they are ready to sail again, they ask their travel agent to find them another great deal. They really don't hold fast to any one cruise line or ship. They are generally younger, working to build careers, and under rather tight budgets. They're just looking for the best deal for a family vacation and will go with whatever cruise line gives it to them. This is why I think we are seeing more of those families on HAL's Vista class ships ... because HAL is giving some killer deals to get them there.

But those lines really don't have a whole lot of loyal past passengers ... not on the order that HAL does. And that's why, in order to retain those one-time cruisers they attracted with a hot deal, they have to entice them with nice past passenger benefits to encourage them to come back. HAL doesn't have to do that. HAL also probably couldn't afford to do that. Could you imagine HAL offering people with 100 days sailed a couple of hours of free internet? You wouldn't be able to use that perk because the Explorations Cafe would be packed around the clock ... and even if you could get online, you'd use up those couple of hours just checking your email.

No, I understand HAL's reasoning with past passenger perks entirely. They just focus on providing the HAL brand of cruise experience and hope passengers come back based on that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

also a bag and a nice lunch(brunch) on last sea day. We were on back to back so we were invited to the one on the 19th day of the cruise. I wonder why they give the same tile to both occupants of the cabin when they have 4+ designs. We had our pins delivered with the invitation. There were so mmany Mariners on our cruise that they did the lunch twice the same day. We also had 400 pp do the back to back.

There were trays at every station on the Lido.

I did one sailing on Cunard ... a 6-day TransAtlantic on the QE2 ... and I loved it. I can only imagine their other ships are equally as nice.

The main "issue" I have with Cunard is the incredible formality onboard ... on my cruise on the QE2, EVERY night except for embarkation night, was formal ... and they sure do mean formal. Can't take that. It's just not my style. So I probably won't be returning to Cunard again.

I remember you talking about that a while back, Rita ... and it is precisely THAT which I might find quite enjoyable on such a cruise! :D I'll eventually be doing at least one Cunarder crossing ... I want to cruise on the QM2 and the QV and the upcoming QE, so I'll definitely get my chance.

I do agree with you in some respects ... HAL is changing their focus ... especially for their larger ships. They want families, families and more families onboard. But, I don't know if that's entirely the reason why they don't give their Mariner's a whole lot in the way of perks. I think it could be that HAL just has so many repeat passengers (Mariners) that it would simply be impossible to do so.

That's certainly a possibility, Rita. It may also be that they haven't had to do it ... we're loyal because we love the product, plain and simple. I don't have a problem with either reasoning, however I do believe that -- with the change in the product, HAL is going to start losing more and more of us traditionalists. To retain some of us, a few "appreciation" perks might not be a bad idea; however, I don't think that's really on their radar.

But those lines really don't have a whole lot of loyal past passengers ... not on the order that HAL does. And that's why, in order to retain those one-time cruisers they attracted with a hot deal, they have to entice them with nice past passenger benefits to encourage them to come back. HAL doesn't have to do that. HAL also probably couldn't afford to do that. Could you imagine HAL offering people with 100 days sailed a couple of hours of free internet? You wouldn't be able to use that perk because the Explorations Cafe would be packed around the clock ... and even if you could get online, you'd use up those couple of hours just checking your email.

We're pretty much in agreement ... except that I don't use the Explorations Cafe to access the internet! :D I use my laptop. :D But, essentially, we agree. HAL has a huge loyal following.

No, I understand HAL's reasoning with past passenger perks entirely. They just focus on providing the HAL brand of cruise experience and hope passengers come back based on that.

And, in the past, this has always been the case. With remaking themselves into the image of other Lines, however, that may fall by the wayside. So ....

I remember you talking about that a while back, Rita ... and it is precisely THAT which I might find quite enjoyable on such a cruise! :D I'll eventually be doing at least one Cunarder crossing ... I want to cruise on the QM2 and the QV and the upcoming QE, so I'll definitely get my chance.
I think you'll love Cunard, Rev. Seriously, it has that air of formality and elegance that I think you will enjoy.

The quality of their lecturers is also much better, as well as their entertainment.

And, from what I understand, except for embarkation day and the night before disembarkation, EVERY night on a crossing is a formal night. And, when I say formal, I do mean formal. Most men are in tuxes and most women have full-length gowns or very, very dressy cocktail outfits.

Of course, I'm basing this on my one QE2 sailing, but can't imagine it wouldn't be the same on the other ships.

I hate to say it, Rev ... because I'd miss out on the chance to sail with you ... but I have a feeling once you try Cunard, you might very well make it your cruise line of choice.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I find it interesting that some posters, who apparently feel that HAL's past passenger perks should be more like Princess, Celebrity, etc., claim that "tiles and pins won't interest younger passengers". Well, I'm a younger passenger who values all the things talked about here (elegant on-board experience, unparalleled customer service, unique itineraries, well-maintained ships, traditional decor and events, etc.) and so who chooses HAL repeatedly.

The best comparison I can make is to Ritz-Carlton--I don't stay there because of their repeat guest program (they don't have one). I could stay at Hilton or Sheraton or whatever and earn points and get room upgrades, but why would I? The Ritz experience is so far out of the league of those so-called competitors (at a surprisingly competitive price, usually) that it's a no-brainer decision.

To young people who care more about trifles such as a discount on laundry or a few free internet minutes, maybe HAL is happy to have them take their business elsewhere. It could just be that they are trying to cultivate another generation of passengers like their previous one, who value the intangibles of the HAL experience and who are willing to pay for it. Pins and tiles and tote bags are just icing on the cake.

To young people who care more about trifles such as a discount on laundry or a few free internet minutes, maybe HAL is happy to have them take their business elsewhere. It could just be that they are trying to cultivate another generation of passengers like their previous one, who value the intangibles of the HAL experience and who are willing to pay for it. Pins and tiles and tote bags are just icing on the cake.

As there is a new person in charge of the mariner society in Seattle this year. I would watch out for changes soon. Ideas have been suggested in the past (coupon books etc), but in these days of affinity programs, changing demographics and being part of a larger company which at times pushes policies downward (i.e. fuel surcharges) HAL is under pressure to revise the Marnier program. HAL is in an enviable position of having a large percentage of repeat customers. But with influx of new customers and the inevitable decrease of its existing loyal customer base, this position may change and put further pressure on HAL

Archived