Is this bothering you too!!!!!!!!!

my DW and MIL and GS and GD went on AOS last week they stayed in a GS they thought the meals that they had in MDR were ok! they could not get MTD as it was full! then they saw my SIL and BIL and they did not know they were going on the AOS too! they were staying in a JS on deck 7 they had late dining in the MDR and just decide to eat at the WJ instead while on board the AOS we decide to do a NC so we went down to see the ncvp but she was no where in site and we just filled out a card! we will just contact our TA when we get home:eek: Can we not just spell out the whole word's so we all understand what is being said?

my DW and MI and GS and GD went on AOS last week they stayed in a GS they thought the meals that they had in MDR were ok! then they saw my SIL and BIL and they did not know they were going on the AOS too! they were staying in a JS on deck 7 they had late dining in the MDR and just decide to eat at the WJ instead while on board the AOS we decide to do a NC so we went down to see the ncvp but she was no where in site and we just filled out a card! we will just contact our TA when we get home:eek: Can we not just spell out the whole word's so we all understand what is being said?

Maybe it says something about me or the years that I have been on these boards, but I understood everything that you wrote. The only significant problem I ever have with using the abbreviated forms and acronyms is when someone refers to certain ships like SOS which might be Sovereign, Splendour, or Serenade of the Seas. Other than the occasional confusion that such usage can create, not spelling out common usage terms is just quicker and easier than spelling out everything.:)

There are other confusions.

SIL = Son in law or Sister in law.

TA = Travel agent or transatlantic.

I suppose it doesn't usually make any difference whether a poster is talking about son in law or sister in law and it is usually clear from the context whether TA is travel agent or transatlantic.

I know most of them but what is MI? what is NC? what is ncvp?

There are other confusions.

SIL = Son in law or Sister in law.

TA = Travel agent or transatlantic.

I suppose it doesn't usually make any difference whether a poster is talking about son in law or sister in law and it is usually clear from the context whether TA is travel agent or transatlantic.

NC would be next cruise. I suppose ncvp would be the LA (loyalty ambassador). I don't know about MI.

I love all of the acronyms, and I think it makes things easier to read and easier to type.

Maybe it says something about me or the years that I have been on these boards, but I understood everything that you wrote. The only significant problem I ever have with using the abbreviated forms and acronyms is when someone refers to certain ships like SOS which might be Sovereign, Splendour, or Serenade of the Seas. Other than the occasional confusion that such usage can create, not spelling out common usage terms is just quicker and easier than spelling out everything.:)

Bill, apparently you're more "with it" than I am. I've got a cell phone (average less than 40 minutes a month usage on it), I don't text, if I want to take a picture, I use my camera and don't have an Ipod. I must be old fashioned, but I went to school to learn how to read and write and think all these abbreviated forms of communication are part of the "dumbing down" of our society. That, I believe, is why our educational system is failing. Kids today don't have to learn sentence structure, spelling or puctuation because they have this new, techno-lingo. Just my most humble opinion of course. Geez, I sound like my Dad! :eek:

Aubie

It makes no sense to me at all. AOS doesn't have MTD and to get one of the four Aft JS's on D7 is nearly impossible. Also, no one would bother with the NC OBC now that it's not combinable with C&A coupons.

I think the whole story's just made up. ;)

Bill, apparently you're more "with it" than I am. I've got a cell phone (average less than 40 minutes a month usage on it), I don't text, if I want to take a picture, I use my camera and don't have an Ipod. I must be old fashioned, but I went to school to learn how to read and write and think all these abbreviated forms of communication are part of the "dumbing down" of our society. That, I believe, is why our educational system is failing. Kids today don't have to learn sentence structure, spelling or puctuation because they have this new, techno-lingo. Just my most humble opinion of course. Geez, I sound like my Dad! :eek:

Aubie

I have one of those "kids" who texts like there is no tomorrow. He gets his message across with as few letters as possible when he is texting. He also just finished writing many essays for his college applications. No "dumbing down" anywhere.

Hopefully, all the time and effort he went into applying early decision and early action pays off. Keep your fingers crossed.:)

ok, can I just say my husbands name is MARK!! I only call him my DH because thats the protocol here:), is the point of DH , MIL, DS, DD, BIL to maintain our anonymity?? but we all know each other anyways thats why we have links to our homepages etc! have a great day everyone!!

Bill, apparently you're more "with it" than I am. I've got a cell phone (average less than 40 minutes a month usage on it), I don't text, if I want to take a picture, I use my camera and don't have an Ipod. I must be old fashioned, but I went to school to learn how to read and write and think all these abbreviated forms of communication are part of the "dumbing down" of our society. That, I believe, is why our educational system is failing. Kids today don't have to learn sentence structure, spelling or puctuation because they have this new, techno-lingo. Just my most humble opinion of course. Geez, I sound like my Dad!

Aubie

You are not the only one who thinks this way Aubie, it is getting to a point where kids will have to grow another set of thumbs. :confused: Why do they need all this lingo and texting...just call and speak to a person.

Does anyone but me think it is kind of strange that the original post (notice spelled out not OP) was complaining about the amount of abbreviations used on this board and then it turned to how kids today text too much and shorten everything????

First - My guess is that very few (I know there are some) "kids" are spending time on this board. Most of the shortening of the words is being done by people old enough to know better.

Second - I have two kids (14 and 18) and both of them have better grammar and spelling that I ever hoped to have. (and I am certainly old enough to know better ;)).

My point is, if you don't like the abbreviations fine (I really don't care for it either) but don't try to turn it into a gripe session on today's kids when the odds are none of them are at fault for the issue of the original post.

Just my two cents......

Second - I have two kids (14 and 18) and both of them have better grammar and spelling that I ever hoped to have.

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect awl the weigh

My chequer tolled me sew.

If you think that's bad go on DISboards; they abbreviate restaurants, parks, events, in addition to the normal stuff. Sometimes it's impossible to read a post without going to the abbreviations page.

I understood the entire first post. I was just trying to figure out what the point was...lol. DisBoards used to confuse me though. Now I think I have it figured out. :D

Aubie

Don't think we're that much different, Aubie. My minutes on my cell phone are probably less than yours and I rarely even think about taking pictures with my cell phone and wouldn't know what to do with them if I did. LOL I do have an IPOD and love it and I like Apple products because I think they are more intuitive and I can usually get them up and running without referring too much to the owner's manual. I guess that understanding the abbreviations is something akin to learning a foreign language. At some point, I think we all become our parents and isn't that a scary thought.:D

ncvp is probably next cruise vacation person similar to CVP or Certified Vacation Planner which RC uses as the term for their agent. It took me a while when I first got on CC to figure out all of these. The one that escaped me for the longest was IMHO so I finally asked the person who used it in a thread. I had figured out IMO but that H meaning eluded me.

I have a headache from reading this. It requires too much thought on my part to figure it out. I still do not know what a "nc" or a "ncvp" is.

my DW and MIL and GS and GD went on AOS last week they stayed in a GS they thought the meals that they had in MDR were ok! they could not get MTD as it was full! then they saw my SIL and BIL and they did not know they were going on the AOS too! they were staying in a JS on deck 7 they had late dining in the MDR and just decide to eat at the WJ instead while on board the AOS we decide to do a NC so we went down to see the ncvp but she was no where in site and we just filled out a card! we will just contact our TA when we get home:eek: Can we not just spell out the whole word's so we all understand what is being said?

Archived