Cruise Line isn't offering excursions in Martinique--suggestions for tours?

Desdemona01

We will be on the Noordam in January and apparently HAL isn't offering any ship-sponsored excursions. There are five of us who would like to tour the island (not so much about beaches) but not crazy about renting a car--does anyone have any suggestions? We're also challenged in the French-speaking department:o

Thanks

Des

I am also cruising the Noordam in January. Which sailing? I find it odd that you say HAL isn't offering any excursions, as the following excursions for Martinique are available for my cruise:

blank.gifFort-de-France Historic Walking Tour

Departure Times: 9:00 am

Adult $39; Child $18 Approximately 1 1/2 hours

Martinique 4x4 Jeep Safari

Departure Times: 8:30 am

Adult $99; Child $49 Approximately 5 hours

blank.gifMartinique By Land & Sea

Departure Times: 8:30 am

Adult $89; Child $36 4 Hours

blank.gifMartinique Scenic Drive

Adult $89; Child $36 4 Hours

blank.gifSnorkel Martinique

Adult $59; Child $29 Approximately 2 Hours

blank.gifSt. Pierre & Botanical Garden

Departure Times: 9:15 am

Adult $89; Child $59 Approximately 4 hours

Are you confusing Martinique with Guadeloupe? I've heard that there's issues with getting excursions on that island.

No, I'm not confusing Martinique. We're on the 1/23 sailing and, so far, no tours of Martinique or Grenada are being offered by HAL. Several people on our RC are completely baffled by it. I've seen the tours you listed on the general HAL shore excursions pdf, but they are not linked to our cruise.

Here is the page from HAL's website for our booking--no tours attached to the ports--the other ports all offer a pull-down menu of excursions:

Day 6 St George's, Grenada

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009

8:00 am - 5:00 pm Back to top

Day 7 Fort-De-France, Martinique

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009

8:00 am - 3:00 pm Back to top

Day 8

No, I'm not confusing Martinique. We're on the 1/23 sailing and, so far, no tours of Martinique or Grenada are being offered by HAL. Several people on our RC are completely baffled by it. I've seen the tours you listed on the general HAL shore excursions pdf, but they are not linked to our cruise.

That's bizarre.

Have you tried contacting HAL?

yes--as usual, they are (deliberately?) vague--there "may be" some excursions added "sometime" after Thanksgiving. I'm sure if we called again we'd get a different answer. Based upon previous experiences with Seattle, we are looking for alternatives ;)

yes--as usual, they are (deliberately?) vague--there "may be" some excursions added "sometime" after Thanksgiving. I'm sure if we called again we'd get a different answer. Based upon previous experiences with Seattle, we are looking for alternatives ;)

I'm on your cruise and wondering about this too. Did you try asking for the excursion's office? I haven't called yet, but would like an answer to what is available.

Take a look a few threads below at Martinique Revie. I speak a little high school French and I think I'll head into town.

• 3 weeks later...

And there is still nothing offered for Martinique or Grenada on our 1/23 cruise. I called them again and they said they should be up "soon." I think I am going to make my own plans. We're about 5 weeks out so I am not so sure that they'll offer anything at this point. There's also a tour in St. Maarten that we're interested in that's not showing up on the St. Maarten excursion site, but at least there are others to choose from for that island...not so on Martinique or Grenada.

We're on the Noordam, leaving on the 23rd as well. It would be interesting to know what other sailings HAVE got excursions listed. I know that when you go to the HAL page and look up the voyage in their general listings, excursions are offered; however, when you go to "for booked guests" there is nothing for either Martinique or Grenada. Twickenham, do you know something we don't?

I've been reading "The last days of St. Pierre" and would really like to see some of the places mentioned in the book. It was fascinating. I speak a little French, but not enough to try to arrange something like that on my own!

We're on the Noordam, leaving on the 23rd as well. It would be interesting to know what other sailings HAVE got excursions listed. I know that when you go to the HAL page and look up the voyage in their general listings, excursions are offered; however, when you go to "for booked guests" there is nothing for either Martinique or Grenada. Twickenham, do you know something we don't?

Nope - I'm just on the Jan. 3rd sailing. HAL has a full complement of excursions on offer for all ports. Can't understand why a cruise just 3 weeks later wouldn't have anything available.

Have you checked to see if there's some sort of holiday the day you're in Martinique?

We were on the Noordam in early November and the excursions for Martinique weren't posted until quite late. We did the "Snorkel Martinique" excursion and really liked it a lot. It would be best for experienced snorkelers, as there was no instruction being given that we saw.

That sounds really good. However, since my snorkeling experience is mostly in Ontario cottage country, it might not be the best choice. Do you remember what else was offered? I understand that the ship docks a fair distance from town, so exploring on our own could be a problem. I'd like to find a French calendar and some kids' books for my daughter who is a French Immersion teacher.

Hi, we were in Martinique on the Noordam just a couple of weeks ago. We docked right at the base of downtown, a short and pretty walk from Fort de France. We took the ferry (a shorter walk) to Pointe du Bout and wandered around there.

There were no excursions for Martinique posted ahead of time on our cruise... or at least, much ahead of time. We did B2B so I am not sure if something was offered in the last 2 weeks before the second leg. But there were quite a few tours, etc, offered on board.

There were many English speaking taxi drivers and tour guides on the pier offering services. I don't know what the prices were or if you could get a better deal by pre-booking. One suggestion if you want English is to chat a bit with the guide before accepting the offer. Some are good at the first few sentences but have then exhausted their language skills and some people I talked to on board were a bit unhappy about that.

It is a beautiful island. :) If you can take a few Euros it is a good idea and makes it easier to buy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just spoke to a shorex rep., this morning, and there still are no excursions available for Grenada or Martinique, on the Noordam Jan 23rd cruise. She sounded as confused, as to why, as we are! It's still the "fault of the vendors." Keep checking! :confused:

I just spoke to a shorex rep., this morning, and there still are no excursions available for Grenada or Martinique, on the Noordam Jan 23rd cruise. She sounded as confused, as to why, as we are! It's still the "fault of the vendors." Keep checking! :confused:

Thanks for checking on this. I don't know whether I should book a tour now, wait until we're on the ship and hope they have tours. I just wish they'd give us an answer if they are going to have ship tours here or not.

Typically we book the ships excursions when it's just the two of us, and this has me thinking about our next cruise and do I want to book with HAL. If we can't count on them to offer tours, we may start looking somewhere else.

Thanks for checking on this. I don't know whether I should book a tour now, wait until we're on the ship and hope they have tours. I just wish they'd give us an answer if they are going to have ship tours here or not.

Typically we book the ships excursions when it's just the two of us, and this has me thinking about our next cruise and do I want to book with HAL. If we can't count on them to offer tours, we may start looking somewhere else.

I've thought the same thing, twinkletoes. I'd love to go to St. Barth's and HAL doesn't offer excursions there either (from St. Maarten). Princess does (or did!) and so does Celebrity, as far as I recall.

The last two years, I emailed HAL about it but didn't get anywhere.

I just checked Martinique for our Noordam cruise -- there are just 6 tours offered -- none of which interests us.

KK,

I'm trying to figure out what to do about excursion in Martinique, and St. Martin. We're on the 1/23 sailing and so far, there are no excursions listed for either. I don't know whether I should go ahead and book an independent excursion on these islands, or wait and see if HAL offers something (once we're on the ship). I'd rather do the ship excursions, but I also don't want to get on the ship and find that HAL isn't offering any excursions. I've never encountered this before. What do you think?

I'm sure St. Martin has tours on our voyage (Jan23). Grenada is the other one that's missing. If not, I need to check the HAL site again!

Whoops...you're right!

The one we are interested in doing in St. Martin isn't listed (the See & Sea). There are others listed, but not that one.

It's Martinique and Grenada that are missing.

I'm still not sure what to do. Should we wait and hope they offer excursions for Martinique and Grenada, or go ahead and book a tour independently (now).Decisions, decisions. I just wish HAL would post the excursions, or tell me if they will have them once we're on the ship. We can work something out, but it would be a pain if we were going somewhere more exotic where we'd need to make more concrete plans prior to the cruise.

It is frustrating, isn't it? We're thinking of a beach day on Grenada, but I'd really like to do a tour in Martinique.

It is frustrating. I think I am going to call my TA tomorrow and see if she can get an answer out of HAL. I'd like to do a tour on both islands, and I don't want to get on the ship and find out that they aren't offering tours on those island. Oh well...what can you do? We'll figure something out. :)

See you in a few weeks! :)

Archived