Dress Code

Piggy Cruiser

For a 12-night cruise to Mediterrean, how many formal/casual evenings would there be?

Between, would jeans be allowed for the casual evenings?

Likely 3 maybe 4 on a 12 night cruise. Your cruise documents will tell you. As for the jeans; technically not but you see them more often now. Casual nights means Smart Casual. More like golf attire for men.

Jeans are acceptable on non formal nights. You are however apt to be amongst a minority wearing them because:

Jeans are heavy and may add substantial weight to your luggage.

Jeans are downright uncomfortable, in the Mediterrean, especially during the hot summer months.

On our 12-day Med cruise we had only 2 formal nights, which were on 2 of the 3 sea days. The 3rd sea day was our last day of the cruise, so a formal night would have been difficult. It probably depends on how port intensive your cruise will be.

For our 15-day Med cruise our docs said there would be 4 formal nights and there really were only 3.

As for jeans, I agree with Hammy. They are allowed on casual nights, but few people bring them.

Have a great cruise!

Likely 3 maybe 4 on a 12 night cruise. Your cruise documents will tell you. As for the jeans; technically not but you see them more often now. Casual nights means Smart Casual. More like golf attire for men.

Golf attire??? Surely you're referring to what is worn by the PGA and not the average Joe on a public course.

Bushwood.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:

Does that come with a jacket ? :)

I worked in a department store while in high school. (Late 70s early 80s)

We had a district manager who wore some of the loudest colored and wildest patterned sport jackets you could imagine. And he wore those white slip ons too. *LOL*

Nice older gentleman. he used to love going to the race track. we always joked that when his horse lost he would retaliate by stealing its blanket and making a jacket out of it *LOL*

Does that come with a jacket ? :)

I worked in a department store while in high school. (Late 70s early 80s)

We had a district manager who wore some of the loudest colored and wildest patterned sport jackets you could imagine. And he wore those white slip ons too. *LOL*

Nice older gentleman. he used to love going to the race track. we always joked that when his horse lost he would retaliate by stealing its blanket and making a jacket out of it *LOL*

Here's the rest of the ensemble

2696832753_3d3fe66f1b.jpg?v=1216866500

Jeans are specifically mentioned in the "Know Before You Go" brochure as being allowed in the dining room on smart casual nights.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Unfortunately on the last night of Eurodam cruise, they allowed a "gentleman" who had obviously been drinking all day into the dining room in his t-shirt and shorts. The assistant at the door told him he should go back to his room and change into long pants but his wife kept after the guy to assign them and the couple that was with them a table which he finally did.

But he reminded the guy again as he walked by that he was supposed to be going back and get long pants but he was ignored.

Generally dress codes on ships even on HAL seem to be getting less and less strict. NCL opened the gates with their wear anything anywhere ships and it is now getting to be worse and worse on the other lines.

I'm not a big fan of ties, suits or tuxes but sometimes it is nice to see everyone dressed up and IMHO people tend to act more gentile when they are dressed up rather than dressed down.

Have a great next cruise.

Generally dress codes on ships even on HAL seem to be getting less and less strict.

Consumers dictate the norm. Generally, dressing for dinner, just about anywhere, other than a private equity country club, is more casual than it once was.

But he reminded the guy again as he walked by that he was supposed to be going back and get long pants but he was ignored.

Generally dress codes on ships even on HAL seem to be getting less and less strict. NCL opened the gates with their wear anything anywhere ships and it is now getting to be worse and worse on the other lines.

Believe me, I hate getting dressed up on formal nights, but this is ridiculous. Shorts and a tee-shirt shouldn't be permitted in the dining room even on casual nights. The Lido is the venue if you wish to dress in that manner, and believe me, there have been nights where that's exactly where I went for dinner, simply because I didn't feel like getting changed.

While I have no problem with HAL getting a bit less formal, I do have a problem with the dining room looking worse than the local truck stop. To me, there is a certain level to which you should dress for dinner while on a cruise, and shorts and a tee-shirt at dinner falls far below that standard.

Blue skies ...

--rita

While I have no problem with HAL getting a bit less formal, I do have a problem with the dining room looking worse than the local truck stop. To me, there is a certain level to which you should dress for dinner while on a cruise, and shorts and a tee-shirt at dinner falls far below that standard.

Sorry, Rita, but one begets the other in an ever declining spiral of informality. As hammybee says, consumers dictate the norm; in this case, the norm is definitely toward more and more and even more casual ... don't expect it to stop where you want it to because the pressure is going to send it to where "everybody else" wants it to go.

:D Welcome to the society of those judged as the "clothing intolerant." :D

Forgive me if I am pulling the discussion too far off topic. Perhaps this is not the right place to post, but I cannot find a better one.

We're going to be on a cruise on the Rotterdam with our kids who are 9 and 14. I've got a bunch of dress/dining questions.

Is it ever appropriate to bring children to the formal evenings? (I won't be in the least offended if the answer is no. I'd like to prepare them for whatever the answer is.) If it is appropriate, what should they wear? And what would "smart casual" be for a nine year old girl? On a non-formal evening would it be reasonable to bring them into the main dining room if they were properly dressed?

And this is probably a really dumb question, but if they're not evening going to make "smart casual" one night, is there someplace they can eat? Where? I'm a bit confused about whether there is any evening option that is less than smart casual.

Thanks.

Forgive me if I am pulling the discussion too far off topic. Perhaps this is not the right place to post, but I cannot find a better one.

That's ok. Threads take twists and turns all the time. You can always start a new thread whenever you have questions, too.

We're going to be on a cruise on the Rotterdam with our kids who are 9 and 14. I've got a bunch of dress/dining questions.

Is it ever appropriate to bring children to the formal evenings? (I won't be in the least offended if the answer is no. I'd like to prepare them for whatever the answer is.) If it is appropriate, what should they wear? And what would "smart casual" be for a nine year old girl? On a non-formal evening would it be reasonable to bring them into the main dining room if they were properly dressed?

And this is probably a really dumb question, but if they're not evening going to make "smart casual" one night, is there someplace they can eat? Where? I'm a bit confused about whether there is any evening option that is less than smart casual.

Thanks.

Children are allowed in the main dining room. It's expected, of course, that they'll behave like young ladies and gentlemen. They should dress to the same standard, with an age-appropriate interpretation, as the dress code for adults. Girls love to get dressed up in fancy clothes; boys can wear a suit, a sport coat w/tie, or even rent a tux.

Smart casual for a girl, or anyone else for that matter, is a coordinated, "put-together" outfit. Mix and match works fine. The kids will probably want to change and go to Club HAL after dinner anyway.

If the kids don't want to dress for dinner, or want to eat quickly and meet their new friends, or any reason at all---dinner is also served in the Lido. It's a semi-cafeteria at that hour. You go through the line to pick up soups, salads, etc. and order your entrée. That is then brought to your table.

Hope this helps.

---dinner is also served in the Lido. It's a semi-cafeteria at that hour. You go through the line to pick up soups, salads, etc. and order your entrée. That is then brought to your table.

I don't know about the other ships in the fleet but in the Lido on the Eurodam, you pick up your entree in the line...it is not brought to you at your table. Is this something new they started with the Eurodam?

Archived