?(No) Trays in Lido

GeriatricNurse

We had no trays on our Pricess cruise last January, and it was no trouble at all. That was on a much larger ship than most of the HAL ships (Caribbean Princess), and it did speed up the lines and seemed to cut down on wasted food. If it's a cost savings and environmental issue, it is not a big deal to me - I certainly didn't starve or drop anything. Hopefully no one will let it take away from their enjoyment of their cruise!

Cathy

Ryndam had trays on Nov 11th Sea of Cortez sailing. Princess has not had trays since we started cruising again in 2002. They have large plates and we do stuff the napkins/silverware in our pockets. It seems to work. Plus, you don't have to unload a tray at the table. Either method seems OK. I did notice on Ryndam that after a few days the napkins/silver were put on the tray whereas before they had been on the tables.

Barbara

It's been widely reported (not only here at HAL but on every board where this change has been made and generated a lot of buzz) that the cruiselines still have servers who will gladly help you and your plate(s), silverware, and drink, find a table, even without trays.
Which cruiselines still have servers in the buffet area? I know on RC I can never find one. A tray would be useful when carrying food for 2 people. I usually have to fix a plate for mom and get her seated then go back for mine.

Thats nice of you to take some else dirty RS tray so the RS guy or cabin stewards have to carry each and every dish......
To be fair, you sometimes do end up with mulitple trays when you order room service. We've ordered breakfast for 2 people and received 2 trays. The RS personnel will often have a cart with shelves that they use to deliver multiple room service orders to prevent wasted time running between decks and the kitchen. When we were finished, we stacked the dishes neatly on 1 tray and placed the second tray under the first. We never thought to keep a tray for use in the buffet but if you really needed one, that is an idea.

As an RCI cruiser who will sail HAL (on Noordam) for the first time next summer, I read this thread with some interest. We've never had trays on our RCI cruises and they'd certainly save me the separate trip for beverages. However, this drawback is mostly offset by the lack of tray clutter at the table and by the mostly-adequate service. Overall we've never thought of this as an issue, and we cruise with two small children and my elderly parents--still no problem really. Just don't make the plates smaller...:rolleyes:

I'm with you on this. I don't understand what the uproar is all about. I recently came back from a trip to Las Vegas and the buffet restaurants that I visited did not have trays. My DW and I go out for Sunday Brunch fairly often, and when we go to a buffet style brunch, no trays are provided. As a matter of fact, pretty much every land-based buffet restaurant that I've ever been to has been "tray-less." You pick up a clean plate at the beginning of the line or the individual station, fill it up, and take it back to the table. The last time I recall seeing a tray was at a cafeteria-style restaurant several years ago.

I'm with you on this. I don't understand what the uproar is all about. I recently came back from a trip to Las Vegas and the buffet restaurants that I visited did not have trays. My DW and I go out for Sunday Brunch fairly often, and when we go to a buffet style brunch, no trays are provided. As a matter of fact, pretty much every land-based buffet restaurant that I've ever been to has been "tray-less." You pick up a clean plate at the beginning of the line or the individual station, fill it up, and take it back to the table. The last time I recall seeing a tray was at a cafeteria-style restaurant several years ago.

Those buffet restaurants all have assigned waiters and table service. They have set the table, they bring beverages and come back with refills, napkins or whatever else you may wish.

Lido does not have assigned table service stewards. They have the stewards 'floating' and you may or may not be offered coffee or a coffee refill. It is very hit or miss.

The point is well taken that if you get up to get your own coffee or whatever, it is very possible to come back and find your plate removed. So wasteful not to mention that if you want to eat, you get to go back and stand in line again. Even if there is no line, who wants to go back through the line to get another sandwich or stir fry or whatever.

I'm with you on this. I don't understand what the uproar is all about.
Now I'm getting it. Just because some don't feel they need trays, they don't think that the rest of us, who DO NEED them, should be concerned about their lack of availability. :rolleyes:

Now I'm getting it. Just because some don't feel they need trays, they don't think that the rest of us, who DO NEED them, should be concerned about their lack of availability. :rolleyes:

Okay, Mary Ellen. Time to cut back on the caffeine this morning. No need to use the little sarcastic emoticon just because I stated that since all the buffet restaurants that I've visited didn't have trays I didn't understand why people were getting upset that the Lido buffet restaurant was doing away with them. I deeply apologize if my statement offended your sensibilities. Now take a deep breath, relax, and go have a nice cup of decaf.

I've been at lunch, about half way through, realized I needed to get something (water, coffee, etc) and I've gotten up to go get it, and I come back and everything is GONE.
I've been told that it is proper to place your napkin in the seat of your chair when leaving the table to get something else before you have finished dining. I was just wondering if you did that and the stewards cleared your plate anyway. If so, that was definitely inappropriate on their part. I almost always eat with others so never experienced the problem. However, I can understand where it would be a problem for solo cruisers when you need a drink refill.

Okay, Mary Ellen. Time to cut back on the caffeine this morning. No need to use the little sarcastic emoticon just because I stated that since all the buffet restaurants that I've visited didn't have trays I didn't understand why people were getting upset that the Lido buffet restaurant was doing away with them. I deeply apologize if my statement offended your sensibilities. Now take a deep breath, relax, and go have a nice cup of decaf.
Nice assumption that I drink coffee. I don't. You know what happens when one assumes... :D

There are a number of flaws (IMHO) with comparing the Lido with with a buffet restaurant, be it in Vegas or a local Sunday brunch. The main one being that you PAY for the meal in a buffet restaurant. You have an assigned waiter who is watching to see where you are and haven't skipped out paying them. In the Lido the waiters are clearing the tables as fast as they can.

It's not like it's always a quick trip back up ... you could have to wait in line for a bit to be served.
On our one RCCL cruise the Windjammer buffet did not have trays, but they did not have a single serving line. Most of the food islands were in the center, so it was not necessary to go through a long line again to go back and get something else. This is also the way it is done in buffet restaurants we frequent - mainly Chinese! :) I think it would be a nightmare to have to go back again through a long line each time you wanted to add or refill something.

However, the Windjammer had two other big problems: (1) when it was crowded, there were always people milling around in every which way, bumping into each other, spilling things and getting food on other peoples clothes. (2) The stations were mainly self-serve, and they were an unsanitary MESS!

PLEASE, HAL, DO NOT DO THIS!

Since it looks like I may have to deal with this wether I like it or not I'd like some advice on how do you handle a salad plate, dinner plate, dessert plate, silverware, napkin, drink or two ( like lemonade and coffee ) without a tray? Do you put your salad, dessert, main dish, appetizers etc on the same plate all smushed together? Doesn't it make for a lot more traffic with people going back and forth to pick up things separately? I don't see a big down side to having trays, but I can see some aggravation with not having them. If someone doesn't want a tray they don't have to take one do they? What's wrong with having the option if you'd like to have a tray?

I posted on another thread on the Oosterdam that they started the no trays last week Nov 15th cruise in the Lido. This is the best thing that could have happened IMHO. Many of you are upset and asking why I would say this.

I cruised the Veendam for 2 weeks in July and lineups of 20 minutes were common as people "filled" their trays. Lineups on the Oosterdam were short and only a few minutes.

The table are pre-set with cutlery wrapped up in a cloth napkin.

More Lido Staff to make sure carts are pushed through the Lido for Juice, Water, and Coffee etc. If they don't have it on the cart they WILL get it for you.

I was basically single most of the time and I just told the nearest Steward that I was going to get something more and no problem he left my area alone and watched it.

Talking to Head Staff the reaction was this has sped up lines and helped reduce food consumption. People now only take food that they will likely eat.

Travelling with Kids no problem their were Stewards there to help you with that. It has stopped the cycle of washing trays non stop that are only used for a very short time.

I found that there was little clutter on the table.

When I first walked into the Lido and saw this I wasn't happy but till I tried it and saw the reasons why and how they helped it changed my mind.

Phil

However, the Windjammer had two other big problems: (1) when it was crowded, there were always people milling around in every which way, bumping into each other, spilling things and getting food on other peoples clothes. (2) The stations were mainly self-serve, and they were an unsanitary MESS!

The RCL set-up assumes passengers will visit a single station and consume and then, if desired, visit another station, for something else. The reality is that passengers tend to prefer to do it all at once and bee-bop, station to station, creating bottlenecks, everywhere during prime time, feeding time.

And while she's up getting it the steward is clearing away her uneaten breakfast.

Oh yeah,Mcdonalds,Burger King,Wendys

All top tier scrumptious eating establishments.

LOL It appears we have different tastes in dining, those places aren't even on my radar when thinking about a quick bite. I'll have to defer to your knowledge that food served there comes on trays.

Me? Room service is what comes to mind when I think of food on trays. :D

We no longer go to buffet restaurants on land. We do miss going to some of our favorite Sunday Brunches. Sometimes on HAL we have no choice but Lido or room service. While HAL does have a nice selection on their room service menu, we'd rather have the greater variety of the Lido. Without a tray we still have our major problem:

I'm one of "those who take tons of food" as I'm getting DH's food too. Without a tray, I'd take his meal to him and he either sits there watching his food while it gets cold, or eats alone while I'm back in line getting mine. Then, he gets to sit there and watch me eat my meal. The meal will also take longer, tying up a table for others wanting to eat.

Tired of putting your food down, coming back and it's gone?

Also comes in inflatabe version for easy packing.

SuperStock_1560R-2019811.jpg

I believe that we have all now picked up on the fact that you don't perceive that this is a real issue. For those of us who have cruised solo many times over the years, and hence almost always eating breakfast or lunch alone in the Lido, it is. Thank you for the humor illustrations ... I usually enjoy them. But ... enough is enough.

Since it looks like I may have to deal with this wether I like it or not I'd like some advice on how do you handle a salad plate, dinner plate, dessert plate, silverware, napkin, drink or two ( like lemonade and coffee ) without a tray? Do you put your salad, dessert, main dish, appetizers etc on the same plate all smushed together?

Why would you get all those items at once? We're not talking about a cafeteria line here. When I'm at a Sunday Brunch or buffet restaurant, I go up to the salad bar section, pick up a plate, make my salad, take it back to my table, and then eat. When I'm finished with my salad and ready for my main course, I go back up to the buffet, get another clean plate, pick up whatever entre and side dishes I want, go back to my table, and eat that food. Once I finish my main course, I go back up to the dessert section, pick out whatever I want, and then take that back to my table and eat my dessert. If I'm in a buffet restaurant without servers providing drinks, then I get up and get my own cup of coffee.

This isn't really a difficult concept. When you go to a regular sit-down restaurant, the waiter doesn't bring your appetizer, salad, main course and dessert all at once; why would you want to do that at a buffet? In addition to the clutter on the table, your main course would be getting cold as you ate your salad, and your dessert could be getting cold or melting (depending of course on what you had selected).

I've been told that it is proper to place your napkin in the seat of your chair when leaving the table to get something else before you have finished dining. I was just wondering if you did that and the stewards cleared your plate anyway. If so, that was definitely inappropriate on their part. I almost always eat with others so never experienced the problem. However, I can understand where it would be a problem for solo cruisers when you need a drink refill.

Yes, I too was trained by my mother to place my napkin on the seat or on the arm of the chair; I never place it on the table when just getting up to go to the bathroom or to get something more. Unfortunately, my experience has been that they don't notice or don't understand the signal. That, or perhaps they've forgotten that part of the dining room lessons at the SS Nieuw Jakarta? Remember, were dealing with people who don't come from our culture and may not have learned that signal in their own growing up; if they didn't pick it up in the cruise line training, or if it isn't taught there, it won't signal them anything.

Since it looks like I may have to deal with this wether I like it or not I'd like some advice on how do you handle a salad plate, dinner plate, dessert plate, silverware, napkin, drink or two ( like lemonade and coffee ) without a tray? Do you put your salad, dessert, main dish, appetizers etc on the same plate all smushed together? Doesn't it make for a lot more traffic with people going back and forth to pick up things separately?

It means that you won't be having as many courses in your Lido dining ... you'll be grabbing snacks, not having full meals there. You'll have a salad; you'll go grab a burger or a sandwich or perhaps an item or two from the entree area. You won't get all of it at once, and you probably will have to change how you eat. Sorry. :)

I posted on another thread on the Oosterdam that they started the no trays last week Nov 15th cruise in the Lido. This is the best thing that could have happened IMHO. Many of you are upset and asking why I would say this.

I cruised the Veendam for 2 weeks in July and lineups of 20 minutes were common as people "filled" their trays. Lineups on the Oosterdam were short and only a few minutes.

The table are pre-set with cutlery wrapped up in a cloth napkin.

More Lido Staff to make sure carts are pushed through the Lido for Juice, Water, and Coffee etc. If they don't have it on the cart they WILL get it for you.

I was basically single most of the time and I just told the nearest Steward that I was going to get something more and no problem he left my area alone and watched it.

Talking to Head Staff the reaction was this has sped up lines and helped reduce food consumption. People now only take food that they will likely eat.

Travelling with Kids no problem their were Stewards there to help you with that. It has stopped the cycle of washing trays non stop that are only used for a very short time.

I found that there was little clutter on the table.

When I first walked into the Lido and saw this I wasn't happy but till I tried it and saw the reasons why and how they helped it changed my mind.

Phil

Well ... it's good to read that there has been a positive experience with it. If it works, and they have provided methods for helping with traffic redirection and beverage service, etc. Keep in mind, however, that there's a difference between the set up on an S/R ship and a Vista. To make the experience similar on an S/R they'll probably have to re-configure the Lido even more than they already have.

Question: have they done away with the rails for putting down one's tray?

Why would you get all those items at once? We're not talking about a cafeteria line here.

I think the point others are making is that this is precisely how it's been in the past, and that's how the S/R ships are still (mostly) configured. They'll have to do some further reconfigurations, creating "stations" and such (more like on the Vistas) in order to enable this and the S/R ships.

Personally ... so long as I don't have a steward clearing all my stuff away, etc., between me getting one part and then another part of my meal ... and between my going to potty during dinner, etc ... it's not much of an issue for me to sit down with a salad, eat it, then get up and go get a "main course" and bring it back and sit down and eat that. But some people have mobility issues, and for them it's often quite difficult to get up and down and up and down multiple times while dining. They prefer to sit and eat their whole meal without having to get up and down many times.

Archived