?(No) Trays in Lido

GeriatricNurse

You're the BEST!!!

Not only are we sure the stewards will understand the message but they'll love seeing it written in their language.

Anyone who doesn't mark this down is cheating themselves AND the Stewards!!! ( IMO)

I've already copied-pasted it into Adobe Illustrator with both English and Indonesian text. My plan is to make it from card-stock and laminate it. :D

Part of me likes the idea of not having to mess with trays. Another part of me sees this as an inconvenience to people who are getting food for more than one person, or who prefer to pick up more than two plates, or for whatever reason (as in wanting to bring a book with me). Perhaps it would be possible for a small supply of trays to be available for those who need them?

The klutz in me likes no trays.

But I swear I remember not ever carrying my own tray last year on the Zuiderdam. Dinner was served and lunch... there was always a crew member who would very nicely take my tray and put it at my table for me. I don't tend to have several plates and I always go and put my food plate down then go get my beverage of choice. It's just easier.

I'm all for the no tray movement :).

I've already copied-pasted it into Adobe Illustrator with both English and Indonesian text. My plan is to make it from card-stock and laminate it. :D

Sounds great, Greg. I marked it down on a piece of paper and shall have it handy in my purse when we go to Maasdam next week. :)

It's the fourteen day roundtrip from FLL.

Includes full day in San Juan (which we love), St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, Tortola and HMC....maybe another stop or two and not in that order.

REALLY looking forward to 'going home' to Maasdam. :)

It's the fourteen day roundtrip from FLL.

Includes full day in San Juan (which we love), St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, Tortola and HMC....maybe another stop or two and not in that order.

REALLY looking forward to 'going home' to Maasdam. :)

<sigh> 14 days aboard the Maasdam (or any S-class) is my idea of heaven right now. :) Have a great cruise, Judy.

I' ve always been generous about sharing her........ I 'took ownership' of her many a year ago. :) I'm happy to continue sharing with all who truly appreciate her and her crew. ;)

Thanks, Greg. DH is so ready for two weeks of Maasdam's magic as am I. Been a hard year.

Thank you altosax for posting the three languages for not clearing the table.

I have just copied them into my trusty address book so that I have them.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevNeal viewpost.gif

Not Finished

Don't Clear

Thank You

Then my translation from Google Translator:

Tidak Selesai

Jangan Hapus

Terima Kasih

It's not 3 languages but it's what RevNeal suggested translated into Indonesian.

However' date=' doing a reverse translation it comes out:[/color']

Not Finished

Do Not Delete

Thank You

This might be better:

Tidak Selesai

Jangan Mengambil

Terima Kasih

which translates back to English (according to Google) as:

Not Finished

Do Not Take

Thank You

Something else that I would like HAL to do away with are those metal plate covers that they put over your plate to keep your meal (usually breakfast foods like eggs, etc.) warm during the 30 second walk to the table. They are a real nuisance - since they overlap the plates I end up almost knocking them off with other items I am carrying on my tray such as small plates or glasses, and I can only imagine how annoying they would be to carry without a tray. Then once you get to the table and lift the lid off, the condensation drips all over the table.

Anybody else feel the same way?

Thanks!

Make sure you put English on one side, though ... to keep one's fellow passengers from stealing your seat!!!!! :D

How do you prevent them from stealing your sign? :eek:

I've already copied-pasted it into Adobe Illustrator with both English and Indonesian text. My plan is to make it from card-stock and laminate it.

See above - make a few copies. :)

I ask why not who says you have to go in a line???? Go up to the area you want food and step in with you plate and be served what you want.
Because in the Lido all the people waiting in line will snarl at you!

Also, often the server will ignore you, and continue to serve the next person in line. I have had that happen when I've tried going back to the head of the line to get just some small, forgotten item.

The point is that many of us cruise HAL because we like things the way they ARE... while this won't be a deal breaker, I'd still be willing to pay a 20% premium on my fare to return things to the way they were when we took our first HAL cruise in 2000...

that means do away with the as you wish dining, restore staffing levels in the dining room so that you get SERVICE instead of plate delivery, restore hot hor doervres in the lounges every nite and chocolates in the explorers lounge when the string groups are playing, reduce the number of rooms that cabin stewards are responsible for so that rooms get made up before noon, run the trivia, scattergories and other such games at the frequency they did then and LEAVE the darn trays in the Lido! I'm sure I'm missing something, but this would be a good start.

Change it all before we sail on Westerdam on 2/1 and I'll write the check tomorrow.

All true, but completely irrelevant to the question I was answering.
Not at all. I was explaining to you why you can go make multiple trips back for separate courses without having the bus boy clear your table, and have someone else sit down there.

The point is that many of us cruise HAL because we like things the way they ARE... while this won't be a deal breaker, I'd still be willing to pay a 20% premium on my fare to return things to the way they were when we took our first HAL cruise in 2000...

that means do away with the as you wish dining, restore staffing levels in the dining room so that you get SERVICE instead of plate delivery, restore hot hor doervres in the lounges every nite and chocolates in the explorers lounge when the string groups are playing, reduce the number of rooms that cabin stewards are responsible for so that rooms get made up before noon, run the trivia, scattergories and other such games at the frequency they did then and LEAVE the darn trays in the Lido! I'm sure I'm missing something, but this would be a good start.

Change it all before we sail on Westerdam on 2/1 and I'll write the check tomorrow.

1. Have people dress for dinner like their on a luxurious cruise and not mowing their lawn

2.Have the maitre'd enforce the dress code

3. Have live music in the dining room every evening.

everybody is welcome to chime in!

Why would you get all those items at once? We're not talking about a cafeteria line here. When I'm at a Sunday Brunch or buffet restaurant, I go up to the salad bar section, pick up a plate, make my salad, take it back to my table, and then eat. When I'm finished with my salad and ready for my main course, I go back up to the buffet, get another clean plate, pick up whatever entre and side dishes I want, go back to my table, and eat that food. Once I finish my main course, I go back up to the dessert section, pick out whatever I want, and then take that back to my table and eat my dessert. If I'm in a buffet restaurant without servers providing drinks, then I get up and get my own cup of coffee.

This isn't really a difficult concept. When you go to a regular sit-down restaurant, the waiter doesn't bring your appetizer, salad, main course and dessert all at once; why would you want to do that at a buffet? In addition to the clutter on the table, your main course would be getting cold as you ate your salad, and your dessert could be getting cold or melting (depending of course on what you had selected).

award_ribbon_blue_1st.png

Most "sensible" post on here.... well done!

Carrying one plate or say even two plates is far easier than attempting to carry a large heavy tray with numerous plates that you cannot see over and can far easily trip and fall while carrying this tray.

My goodness, I can't imagine putting so much on my tray that I couldn't see over it. That would definitely make it hard to carry.

This isn't really a difficult concept. When you go to a regular sit-down restaurant, the waiter doesn't bring your appetizer, salad, main course and dessert all at once; why would you want to do that at a buffet? In addition to the clutter on the table, your main course would be getting cold as you ate your salad, and your dessert could be getting cold or melting (depending of course on what you had selected).

At a "sit down" restaurant I don't have to go wait in line for every new course and extend my dining time extensively in order to do so. I don't risk having my table taken every time I get up, as has happened to me in the Lido and at busy times it's often difficult to find a table in the first place. I prefer to get my meal and sit down to enjoy it, not be constantly getting up and down and having other people walking by my table constantly doing the same. I don't mind if you prefer to make many trips and stand in line many times, why should it bother you that I prefer not to? If you don't want to take a tray there is no reason that you need to. If I want a tray there is no good reason I can see it should not be available to me.

Archived