Camo shorts in the Caribbean and Cozumel?

lbg

Thanks so much for your advice - DH is a farmer so has had to buy a whole new summer wardrobe including 2 really nice pairs of camo shorts - will it be ok to wear them on the boat do you think or is he likely to offend people on there too?:confused:

Wearing camo on the boat is perfectly fine and acceptable. It is just in the ports where a prudent person would wear something else.

He definitely needs an attitude adjustment!! One of our fellow passengers scanned the compasses and posted them on the web. I will see if I can find anything in one of them. Hopefully that will help change his mind. I was a little more than frustrated with him. As for taking everything to bail him out forget it...his sorry butt can sit in jail and rot! How's that for I told you so! :)

We are going to the western Caribbean on the Mariner in a week and a half. My husband loves camo pants. He wears them all the time. I think that most of the shorts he packed are camo. Is this going to be a problem? Someone posted that you could be arrested for wearing camo in the Caribbean and South American countries. Has anyone had problems with wearing camo?

After reading your posts and all the others, all I can say is that if your DH wants to take the chance of getting arrested (or in any kind of trouble), he apparently doesn't care that it will be your problem. JMHO, but put yourself first.

He definitely needs an attitude adjustment!! One of our fellow passengers scanned the compasses and posted them on the web. I will see if I can find anything in one of them. Hopefully that will help change his mind. I was a little more than frustrated with him. As for taking everything to bail him out forget it...his sorry butt can sit in jail and rot! How's that for I told you so! :)

Again, no offense intended, but it sounds like he needs to grow up! He's not showing much respect for you or your concerns, let alone other people around him - all about him! What's the attraction in that? If this is the way he handles something as unimportant as a pair of shorts.........

Ridiculous!

I assume he is not as bad as you make him out to be, but if he is, then you buy the other shorts, wait till he is packed and then you repack when he is not around remove the camo and replace with other shorts.

As it is hopefully if he tried to go ashore in them the crew would not let him leave the ship. at which point he could change but probably would refuse to and stay on the ship brooding all day.

Good luck.

OP - you have provided him with the correct information. He's an adult. He can make his own decisions. Let him deal with his own clothing and the consequences if he chooses to wear these shorts. Just let him know that if he makes this decision, it's up to him to get himself out of trouble; you will be enjoying a tall cool one back on the ship.

Some people just have to learn the hard way.

I assume he is not as bad as you make him out to be, but if he is, then you buy the other shorts, wait till he is packed and then you repack when he is not around remove the camo and replace with other shorts.

As it is hopefully if he tried to go ashore in them the crew would not let him leave the ship. at which point he could change but probably would refuse to and stay on the ship brooding all day.

Good luck.

Oh, my. My first DH was not a nice guy. If I would have done that to him, then all He-double-hockey-sticks would have broken loose! Some people can be really mean.

I am assuming the the OPs DH isn't this way; he is just stuck in his ways.

To the OP. If he cannot get off the ship, have fun w/o him.

OP - you have provided him with the correct information. He's an adult. He can make his own decisions. Let him deal with his own clothing and the consequences if he chooses to wear these shorts. Just let him know that if he makes this decision, it's up to him to get himself out of trouble; you will be enjoying a tall cool one back on the ship.

Some people just have to learn the hard way.

Indeed! And if they don't let him off the boat and he raises a big stink they may put him off the boat for causing a major disturbance. Also, he would want the people visiting his country to obey the laws of his country so why wouldn't he give the people of the country he is visiting the same respect?

He needs to think of the law in a historical perspective too. If his country had a bunch of Che Guevara, loony, revolutionaries wearing camo fatigues trying overthrow his government he would be a bit wary of people in camo too. So unless he is trying to overthrow their governments in the name of Marxism and murder people in the name of "equality" he should leave the camo for on the boat or on the safe side leave it at home.

I think all this condemnation of the OP's husband is a little extreme. Let's face it, the 'no camo clothes', does sound a lot like some sort of urban legend. the fact that the OP now has several pretty definitive sources (not just some random internet forum posts) to point at and let him know, he might be a bit more understanding.

I think all this condemnation of the OP's husband is a little extreme. Let's face it, the 'no camo clothes', does sound a lot like some sort of urban legend. the fact that the OP now has several pretty definitive sources (not just some random internet forum posts) to point at and let him know, he might be a bit more understanding.

........you'd think, but if you read this thread from the beginning, "understanding" doesn't seem to be his strong suit! Oh well, at least he's not on my ship!

I did not keep any of the Capers or Compass handouts from my cruises, but I do remember seeing warnings regarding camo. I remember for sure that Barbados and Dominica were places that you cannot wear it. I thought there were a few more but can't remember. Best to just leave the camo at home.

DH can be stubborn! He is a good man, he just thinks that "you can't believe everything you read on the internet". DUH! I know that. He actually wrote to the cruise line to ask them...he has not heard back. I hope that he will at least check things out before he wears them. As for repacking his bag, all #%&* would break loose, he is a little OCD and it would put him over the top.:D I think that I have at least got him thinking and doing his own checking. ;)

DH can be stubborn! He is a good man, he just thinks that "you can't believe everything you read on the internet". DUH! I know that. He actually wrote to the cruise line to ask them...he has not heard back. I hope that he will at least check things out before he wears them. As for repacking his bag, all #%&* would break loose, he is a little OCD and it would put him over the top.:D I think that I have at least got him thinking and doing his own checking. ;)

Again - and again with no offense to you intended - what is his love affair with Camo? - or should I say obsession! Geeze, man, just get over it and pack different clothes! Most "adults" would give it up already! I really don't get it - and based on your "soul bearing" in this thread, I truly feel bad for you - and what you have ahead with him! Good luck!

I can't help but think at this point that he's messing with you! If he's an educated man, he's probably already done his research and talked to someone (all wives know that we can say something a thousand times and they won't hear anything, but let let some buddy or other woman say the same thing and it's gospel). Is he due for a haircut? I bet if you dropped a dime to his hairstylist to talk to him-without letting on-he'd come home and ask why you never mentioned any of this! It's just the "Y" chromosome, don't take it to heart! ~Bugs

I think that this whole discussion may be for naught due to the fact that the OP isn't going to the Southern Caribbean. I do not remember any of her ports as having the no-cammo rule. Anyone else remember Labadee, Haiti; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico having this rule?

I can't help but think at this point that he's messing with you! If he's an educated man, he's probably already done his research and talked to someone (all wives know that we can say something a thousand times and they won't hear anything, but let let some buddy or other woman say the same thing and it's gospel). Is he due for a haircut? I bet if you dropped a dime to his hairstylist to talk to him-without letting on-he'd come home and ask why you never mentioned any of this! It's just the "Y" chromosome, don't take it to heart! ~Bugs

I think you hit the nail on the head. If it was anyone except for me he would take it to heart. He really is a good guy! He does love his camo, we all have things that we really like. As far as I can tell the only country on our itinerary that may not allow camo is Jamaica. I think after this whole discussion that he will think twice and check before he wears them.:D

I think you hit the nail on the head. If it was anyone except for me he would take it to heart. He really is a good guy! He does love his camo, we all have things that we really like. As far as I can tell the only country on our itinerary that may not allow camo is Jamaica. I think after this whole discussion that he will think twice and check before he wears them.:D

Sounds good. I am sure all will go well.

Have a fabulous cruise!

I think that this whole discussion may be for naught due to the fact that the OP isn't going to the Southern Caribbean. I do not remember any of her ports as having the no-cammo rule. Anyone else remember Labadee, Haiti; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico having this rule?
Yes, as posted earlier Jamaica has this rule.

• 3 weeks later...
So, ibg, How did it all turn out? I see that you are back. Did he wear the camo? Did he get in trouble? Enquiring minds want to know. Are you now hooked on cruises?...Maureen

Or maybe their not back. Maybe DH defied the wise advice provided by folks on CC forums, wore his camo and is now languishing in a Jamaican jail:eek:

I enjoyed reading this thread. I too would like to know how it all turned out with hubby and his camo!

My husband has a few camo items too (though it's just a few). Funny thing is, he was saying he wasn't going to take them, and I was encouraging him to take the shorts and tank top.

I just told him about this thread and he will be leaving the camo at home. :D

We sailed in early December on the Caribbean Princess. In the Patters on several days were warnings not to wear camo/military themed clothing on specific islands, so cruise ships do inform you of what not to wear on shore. I also remember seeing these advisories on other cruise lines.

Is it that tough for him to throw in a few plain khaki shorts? They do take this seriously, silly as it sounds to us.

I am career military and have been to numerous countries and quite frankly rarely do you see civilians wearing camo, in some countries I have been to if there is an active conflict or issues with terrorists or "freedom" fighters you could be considered a combatant. Be prudent, leave the camo at home, you do not want to get into an altercation with the police or military in foreign countries, you will lose every time and do not believe for a second that your American passport will help you out, usually it will target you and make you stand out, and not in a good way. I had a cousin who was in Mexico years ago that got into trouble with the local police, they severely beat him in his head and tossed him into a cell, overnight his brain swelled and he died. It is important to realize in a foreign country you don't have any rights. Are your camo shorts worth an altercation where you have no control over the outcome?

Archived