cheap garment bags

tbmrt

I started putting together all "my stuff" for my upcoming cruise and don't want to crush everything into my regular suitcases.

Would it be safe enough to take those inexpensive garment bags (like the ones you get w/a new suit)? (We're driving to the ship)

Hate to spend $ on a good suitcase type garment bag that I'll hardly ever use. (I threw 2 of them out when we moved from NJ to FL!)

Sure ~ those bags hold up okay. But I wouldn't check that bag with the porter. I'd carry it onboard myself.

We always carry on our garment bag & then I can hang that stuff up right away when we get in the cabin. Saves on wrinkles!

As others have said, don’t check something like that in. the way they handle luggage, it would be destroyed within 10 minutes.

That being said, the other alternative is to carry it on. The last time I used one of these things, your only option in carrying it was by the hook, another way and the suit is turned into a ball of wrinkles.

The longest we have waited at embarkation was just around two hours. Other than the 15 seconds on the security scanner, our stuff was in hand or on the ground. The check-in process is simple, but you usually need both hands free at several “stations” along the way.

Ebay has Nylon/Cloth garment bags that fold in half for about $15.00. I have several that I use for overnight trips when driving. They can hold two to three suits and three to four shirts. I even throw a pair of shoes in the bottom.

I started putting together all "my stuff" for my upcoming cruise and don't want to crush everything into my regular suitcases.

You wouldn't believe how much I put in one large suitcase for a b2b. With proper packing, as few folds as possible and dry cleaner bags in between every couple of layers, my clothes came out perfect.

I get everything ready but don't put it in until the very last minute, then unpack as soon as I can on board.

When you get to the terminal, you usually have to have your passport in hand, then at check in you need to get out your credit card. Then there's the xray machine and finally when you board, you need to show your sea pass. The less you have to carry, the better because you'll constantly have to deal with those bags while having the needed docs in hand.

You know I have spent tons of money on luggage, and no matter the cost, it seems after a couple of cruises or flights, the luggage needs replacing-that comes from luggage being thrown around. It is always the larger pices that tear up- the carry ons I have a ton of those-in good shape- it is the matching larger pieces that get destroyed.

but I have a canvas duffle bag that I have had for ages-it has LASTED. I have found the cheaper light weight plastic garment bags work great for me to top off my duffle bag with them. I simply place the garment bag in the very top of my duffle bag. LOL! those bags never tear up either, as my duffle bag protects them- now as we like the self assist debarking- and also, the flight restrictions also, I just go for that. I have a carry on and a 28 inch duffle bag, that is it. I can easy cary enough for 2 weeks also.

Archived