Majesty SO on Deck 9

mkca

Are the SO rooms on deck 9 an obstructed view? Is that where the lifeboats are? I would like the larger rooms, but would also like to have a view. If you have been in one that is not obstructed, what was the room number?? Thanks!!

I was in one of these rooms a few months ago, and they're great. Very roomy, especially by Majesty standards. The "obstruction" - if you can even call it that - is minimal; only your view looking down is partially blocked. Your horizontal view isn't obstructed at all. I was in a more aft cabin, so I can't definitively say this is true for all cabins in this category, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Well worth it and I wouldn't hesitate booking it again.

Edited by GMoney

Here's a link to another thread about the SO cabins

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=886934

There is a picture of one of the cabins. We are in 9052 and 9054 over Christmas and I will include pics in my review when we get back. It looks like you'll be able to see out but not down because of the lifeboats. The "extra room" of the SO should make up for any obstruction.

Edited by gomomgo

Hey neighbor!

We were in the cabin next door, 9046. How did you like Irvin?

Too bad we did not meet you two. It was kind of funny as there were several cabin doors decorated with anniversary decorations from RCCL and I am sure one of them were yours.

Tim (HB Crusier) & Crystal

Hey neighbor!

Too bad we did not meet you two. It was kind of funny as there were several cabin doors decorated with anniversary decorations from RCCL and I am sure one of them were yours.

Tim, they were on the Majesty the week after we were. :)

Hey neighbor!

How was the view from your cabin? I am looking at the SOV cabins and your is available.

Thanks.

We just got back - the SO was great! Here are my pictures of 9048:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allison_beck/tags/9048/

Thank you for posting those pictures.I really like your cabin.Very nice and the view isn't bad either.I'm thinking of upgrading to SOV since you get around 35 more sq feet.It won't feel as claustrophobic as the 122sq ft cabin I have booked.

Edited by 9855donna

The view was really nice, and the window was large enough that I spent several evenings just sitting in it looking out over the water. It wasn't claustrophobic at all, although it was somewhat noisy. I heard people talking all through the night - either in the halls, maybe in the balcony above us, or even as far down as deck 7. I heard other noises too that may have been related to the lifeboats, I'm not sure. Also, bring something to tie the hangers together, because on the last night we were rocking and they kept banging against each other and driving me crazy.

As far as Irvin - to be honest, we had no idea who our stateroom attendant was until he wrote his name on our voucher envelopes. I didn't know what he looked like until randomly on Thursday night I was walking back to the room and he opened the door for me when he saw me. He did a decent job with the basic cleaning, and we enjoyed the towel animals, but it wasn't perfect - I found some cotton balls in a cabinet and a condom wrapper in one of the nightstands! He also didn't replace our pool towels on Wednesday night, but we ended up not wanting them on Thursday anyway.

I was just in SO 9048 last month. Yes, the views are obstructed. Here is what you see when you look out the window:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2625778090080150150ZSiyog

That being said, the deck 9 SO rooms are leaps and bounds better than the others. I was very comfortable in this room.

Feel free to browse all the pics. I took plenty of the ship. You'll notice the window is big enough to sit in.

I was just in SO 9048 last month. Yes, the views are obstructed. Here is what you see when you look out the window:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2625778090080150150ZSiyog

That being said, the deck 9 SO rooms are leaps and bounds better than the others. I was very comfortable in this room.

Feel free to browse all the pics. I took plenty of the ship. You'll notice the window is big enough to sit in.

Really nice pictures.I like the size of the cabin.It looks nice. The first picture you posted looks half obstructed with that life boat right there yet the picture with Tine sitting on the window sill doesn't look that bad.Is it because she's seated higher?I like the view from where Tine was seated.I really don't want a big honkin life boat as my view.

Thanks for posting.I enjoyed all your pictures!

Really nice pictures.I like the size of the cabin.It looks nice. The first picture you posted looks half obstructed with that life boat right there yet the picture with Tine sitting on the window sill doesn't look that bad.Is it because she's seated higher?I like the view from where Tine was seated.I really don't want a big honkin life boat as my view.

Thanks for posting.I enjoyed all your pictures!

Thank you! :)

It really depends. The lifeboat obstructs your view down more than anything. That first pic you saw, I was standing right at the window looking down at the boat. Standing back a little and looking straight out, you don't even see it. You'll still have a great view out to sea.

BTW, thanks for inadvertently bringing a spelling error to my attention. I had my wife's (Tina) name spelled wrong on that one picture.

Edited by Aquahound

Thank you! :)

It really depends. The lifeboat obstructs your view down more than anything. That first pic you saw, I was standing right at the window looking down at the boat. Standing back a little and looking straight out, you don't even see it. You'll still have a great view out to sea.

BTW, thanks for inadvertently bringing a spelling error to my attention. I had my wife's (Tina) name spelled wrong on that one picture.

I like that room alot.The only room they have available is #9046.Unfortunately it would cost another $271 for me to upgrade to SOV.I'm kinda waiting to see if either the price goes down or they upgrade me to SOV.

Edited by 9855donna

• 7 years later...
We had these rooms on a post-Thanksgiving cruise. All SOs are listed as obstructed views but none of them were. However, the best view of the three was from 9578. :rolleyes:
We are looking to book one of these three cabins, 9582, 9580, 9578. Can you tell me what made the view better from 9578? Thank you so much!!!

Wow - a 2008 thread back to the top. I've been in 9078 a few times, which is the exact same cabin location on the starboard side. I wish I could tell you more about the view, but never really noticed much difference between it and any other SO. I never thought it was that obstructed.

But frankly, compared to other OV cabins on the ship, if you can swing an SO, just go for it. HUGE difference in size from other ocean view and insides. Makes a big difference. Also, 9578 is a great location for getting around the ship. You are very close to the aft elevators, which do not get as much use, and you can just pop down the stairs to deck 7 and cut through Boleros to get to the Centrum, or two flights up to the pool deck.

We were in 9036 last week. The obstruction is minimal - 1/2 top of lifeboat and 1/2 inflatable life raft canisters. As everyone says only obstruction is looking directly down to the water.

Excellent size cabins. Have been on these on all Sovereign Class ships and they are very nicely laid out.

Wow - a 2008 thread back to the top. I've been in 9078 a few times, which is the exact same cabin location on the starboard side. I wish I could tell you more about the view, but never really noticed much difference between it and any other SO. I never thought it was that obstructed.

But frankly, compared to other OV cabins on the ship, if you can swing an SO, just go for it. HUGE difference in size from other ocean view and insides. Makes a big difference. Also, 9578 is a great location for getting around the ship. You are very close to the aft elevators, which do not get as much use, and you can just pop down the stairs to deck 7 and cut through Boleros to get to the Centrum, or two flights up to the pool deck.

Thanks for the information. We are definitely booking an SO ocean view. I'm probably overthinking this, but is there any advantages/disadvantages to being on the port or starboard side? (9578 or 9078)

Thanks for the information. We are definitely booking an SO ocean view. I'm probably overthinking this, but is there any advantages/disadvantages to being on the port or starboard side? (9578 or 9078)

Most of our past cruises on Her Majesty have been in cabin 9070 (we found this cabin to be just great)...very slight obstructed view, but only if you are looking down (you would see the lifeboat); we liked it because for us it was a very short walk to the gym. The SO cabins are a nice size, for this ship. Tomorrow we set sail on her again, but in a JS......since this will most likely be our last sailing on her, with her deployment after her short dry dock being moved to Port Canaveral.

Not really. On a ship this size, no real difference in the distances to anything. For some reason I'm always on the Starboard side, but last cruise I was port. About the only thing I noticed was that usually I could wake up and look out at Cococay, because the ship always seem to face more north there. So I could not do that from port side. Docking in Nassau is usually stern in, so Port faces the town. Starboard faces the ship next to you. In Miami she docks facing either way. I used to overlook the port from my apartment and every Monday and Friday I would see her and there was no apparent rhyme or reason to the way she was facing. Of course if you are booking out of Canaveral my opinion on Miami doesn't matter :)

If Lazydayz said 9578 was the better view back in 2008 (out of those choices), there is no reason to doubt that today. The refurbs won't change the position of anything structural on the exterior.