Grandeur Of The Seas

We went on the Grandeur 10 yrs ago when we got married (got married on St. Thomas). We thought the ship was great and had no complaints. Our 2nd cruise was the Monarch which we didn't like as much and our next cruise will be on the Adventurer.

I'm not sure how much the Grandeur would have gone down hill in 10 yrs - I'd be curious to see what other people have to say!?

We are thinking of sailing on this ship. I have read mixed reviews. I would like to hear some input from this board. Also, what are the dates to avoid for Spring Break? Thanks!

I think you will read mixed reviews on every ship. No two people seem to agree on how a cruise was even when sailing on the same dates!

That having been said, the Grandeur is one of our favorite ships. We enjoy the smaller ship experience where the staff is polished and happy. They go out of their way to make sure you feel pampered and are not so busy that you are ignored. It's not unusual for them to know your name by day 2 at Seattle's Best or the Winjammer. If you need specialty restaurants or Johnny Rockets, then this ship is not for you. The solarium is a great place to spend a sea day on the Grandeur and the Viking Lounge, with a view that will take your breath away, is perfect place to read a book or enjoy your favorite beverage in the afternoon. Although it is an older ship it has been refurbished some few years back. The dining room and winjammer are all new as is the pool deck and most of the carpeting, etc. This ship is always one of the top few in hospitality ratings in the RCCL fleet.

I'm not up to speed on the latest passport needs, we just got them a few years ago to avoid any hassle so I haven't paid attention since then.

We sailed the Grandeur for the first time last summer and re-booked a different route for next summer on it. It is one of the smaller ships, so doesn't have all of the bells and whistles, but we found the crew to be wonderfully helpful and friendly, and there was always plenty for us to do on the ship. It was myself, DH, 10 yr old grandson and SIL sailing together in an OV quad. We had plenty of room in the cabin for what little we did in there.

We've sailed every size RCL ship from Empress of the Seas (no longer in RCL, but was the smallest a few years ago) to Freedom of the Seas, we enjoy ourselves no matter what ship we're on and that includes the grandson who's been sailing every year since he was 3. The thing I loved about the Grandeur was that it was very easy to get around on, and being newly diagnosed as diabetic at the time I was needing to eat protein frequently, I was always able to find something open to eat at, even though there is no 24 hour food venue besides room service.

We just returned from Grandure in Nov. from a 11 day repo from Baltimore. In 1999 it was the first RCCL ship we sailed on and we loved it so much that we are now Diamond members.

It was as clean and enjoyable as it was when we first sailed on her almost 10 years ago. The staff are very good, we find the older medium size ships like that always have the best staff.

Have a great cruise and don't be affraid to sail on the Grandure

Brian J:D

Smaller ship that feels more intimate, but there is plenty to see and do depending on how "busy" you want to be. No bells and whistles as they are called (specialty restaurants, ice rinks), but does have a rock climbing wall. ALL the staff is wonderful, and I've never had any complaints there. The Viking Crown Lounge is a wonderful hang out if you want to avoid the busy main pool area, but it does overlook the pool and has some great ocean views. The Solarium pool is wonderful for a quiet adult only atmosphere. (pool and 2 hot tubs). The spa and gym are very nice. The Windjammer can be packed during the busiest part of meals, but not difficult to get food and a seat. The MDR is beautiful with a grand staircase and big picture windows. We've had ocean view rooms and probably spend more time in the room than most, and have never had any issues with it feeling small.

I hope you will consider this ship, it is very nice ship and has some great itinerates.

We sailed the Grandeur last February on a short 5 night cruise and the Splendour of the Seas in 2005. The ships are sisters. I really like this size ship and the crew was fabulous. I was a bit disappointed in the shows on the short cruise. Two were great and the others not so much.

But the ship, food, and crew were fabulous. I would sail her again tomorrow if I could talk my Bride into it. I have the Cruise Disease much, much worse then she does. She likes cruising, I LOVE cruising! :D

Everyone else has commented on the ship so I'll address the passport.

Just get it and don't ever worry about that issue again. You'll want to travel outside of the Caribbean and Mexico someday anyhow, so you might as well have it knocked out.

Besides that, it just makes things easier.

I did Grandeur this past January. It's the only RCCL ship I've ever been on but I loved it enough that my DF and I are doing our honeymoon on an RCCL ship(we were originally thinking of going on Carnival). I thought the service was excellent, the food was delicious and even though it's a smaller ship there was always plenty to do.

Been on the Grandeur three times (9 days Oct 07, 5 days Jan 08 and 10 days Nov 08). Love the ship. As others have said, it is one of the smaller ships. That is one of the reasons we love her though. No alternative dining, no trampolines, no ice skating, and no Concierge Lounge. Who cares? You are on a cruise ship, with no worries. Have fun. Also, don't miss the french fries in the Solarium in the afternoon.

OK here's my 2cents (oh, that's Cdn so it's what -- a cent and a half:)):). All kidding aside -- GO! You'll fall in love with the Grandeur just like many others have.

I was on her 10 years ago when she was barely 3 years old and just sailed on her again - Dec 4th to 8th.

She's still just as pretty as she ever was -- I didn't see any signs of "old age" -- but then I don't go around a ship looking for it either!

The crew were all so friendly. Didn't go into the Windjammer so don't know if it was busy or not. Had my dinners in the MDR -- no complaints from anyone at our table -- we all enjoyed our meals and service. Late lunch was a cheeseburger & fries from the Solarium.

As other posters have said -- there are no bells & whistles on her (no Johnny Rockets; speciality dining; skating rinks; trampolines; etc.) BUT her charm will win you over. You can still find lots to do IF YOU want to or be lazy and not do a thing but relax by the pool, in the solarium, in any comfy chairs in the open area or enjoying the view in the late afternoon up in the Viking Crown.

Passport: as a Cdn we've pretty much have had to have to travel for quite awhile --- I agree with Darkwolfe -- just get it. Sooner or later you will probably need it.

We were on the Grandeur during her inaugural season and loved it! Since that time we have sailed on larger and newer ships but look forward to a return to the Grandeur in May out of Norfolk. The size is perfect for us, and the room accommodations are good sized as well. While we would like an alternative restaurant, that is not a must for us. The main dining room is lovely. I don't think you will be disappointed, especially since she has been "freshened up" and by all recent reports has a wonderful captain and staff.

My first RCI cruise was on Splendour in 2005, and I loved her! Since then I have been on Jewel (another favorite), Monarch (twice), and 2 Voyager-class ships. The latter have a lot of bells and whistles, but I prefer a smaller ship with more views of the sea. I'm looking forward to being on a Vision-class ship again as Grandeur repositions from San Juan to Norfolk in late April.

We've sailed Grandeur twice. Last Feb and most recently got back from a 10 day this morning. As others have said, she doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of the newer floating hotels but she more than makes up for them with a more intimate feeling and IMHO the crew is the best in the fleet. We never once felt bored or tired of being on the ship and even after 10 days, hated to get off. Also, Captain Rob is a real hoot.:)

I'll try to get a review done sometime over the next few days or so with more details.

My first RCI cruise was on Splendour in 2005, and I loved her! Since then I have been on Jewel (another favorite), Monarch (twice), and 2 Voyager-class ships. The latter have a lot of bells and whistles, but I prefer a smaller ship with more views of the sea. I'm looking forward to being on a Vision-class ship again as Grandeur repositions from San Juan to Norfolk in late April.

I'll be joining you on that cruise with my best friend and my mother! Maybe we'll get to meet!

I think out of all the ships I've read reviews about, I've heard the most positive things about the Gradeur. I've yet to really read a review that rated her poorly, other than that insane woman about 18 months back who raised caine for the bad weather on the crossing to Bermuda, and even she didn't rate the ship or staff poorly...just my opinion...I've seen her in Cozumel and she looked amazing:)

Archived