Venice hotel

We stayed at residenza canareggio pre-cruise, a very nice hotel in a quite neighbourhood but also in walking distance to the sights. Watertaxi right to the hotel is possible, but there is a vaporetto stop about 5 minutes away. Very easy walking even with luggage.

As LHT28 says, you will get lots of tips from lots of different posters on their idea of best.

Do check out www.venere.com as they have a really nice map showing the locations of the hotels, as well as pictures of the hotels. They also have reviews, but I like www.tripadvisor.com better for reviews.

I chose Ca' Doge at Piazzale Roma for the ease of transport to/from the pier, to/from the airport. The buses, vaporettos, taxi's and information booths are all right there at Piazzale Roma. There was another Hotel Chiara, I think was the name of the hotel on the other side of the Piazzale. But both would be very easy to get to/from. Especially with luggage. It was raining when we left, and we still managed to get to the bus for the airport without getting soaked. One word of caution, you don't get a lot of baggage handlers in Europe. Boarding the bus, you are expected to put your own bag on the bus. This was true in France as well as Italy. The only guys that handled our luggage were the private transfers we paid dearly for.

Two years ago in October we stayed at the Hotel Ponte del Mocenigo, a perennial top-ranked small hotel on the tripadvisor website. It's about 60 yards down a flat street from the St. Stae vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal, north of the Rialto Bridge, a bit off of the beaten path, so very quiet, with great management, yet an easy walk or vaporetto ride to the main tourist sites. It opened about three years ago in a renovated small palacio, so charming yet with updated facilities and it even has an entrance for water taxis from the small canal on which it abuts. Check it out.

Two years ago in October we stayed at the Hotel Ponte del Mocenigo, a perennial top-ranked small hotel on the tripadvisor website. It's about 60 yards down a flat street from the St. Stae vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal, north of the Rialto Bridge, a bit off of the beaten path, so very quiet, with great management, yet an easy walk or vaporetto ride to the main tourist sites. It opened about three years ago in a renovated small palacio, so charming yet with updated facilities and it even has an entrance for water taxis from the small canal on which it abuts. Check it out.

I have yet to see one negative review on this hotel on trip advisor. Every single review as far back as you can go is a rave! And the price is outstanding compared to other Venice hotels. I am looking forward to a 2-night stay there in May post-cruise.

I have yet to see one negative review on this hotel on trip advisor. Every single review as far back as you can go is a rave! And the price is outstanding compared to other Venice hotels. I am looking forward to a 2-night stay there in May post-cruise.

We had a lovely stay; the two owners are both very nice, and the desk personnel are very helpful in suggesting good restaurants within a 15-minute walking radius (after a long day of sightseeing in Venice, I needed close walks!).

We were very fortunate that although we were there in October, the weather was wonderful the whole time. In fact, after our planned day trip to Padua (primarily to see the Giotto frescos in the Scrogveni Chapel), we cancelled another planned day trip to Verona to stay in Venice just walking about and riding the vaporettos to enjoy the glorious views and ambiance in such lovely weather.

we stayed at the Locanda Orseolo. We had a lovely three day stay. It only has 15 rooms, I think, so it is a small family inn. The rooms are decently sized, ours had a good sized bath too. It was very clean and comfortable. The service is the highlight here. Gigi, Barbara, Igor and all the other staff make you feel like long lost friends coming to stay at their home. The breakfast is huge and delicious. Also it is 2 minutes from Saint Mark's. Can't be beat.

I agree with the recommendation for Locanda Orseolo. We stayed there 3 years ago and have booked again for this summer. The staff are absolutely fantastic and the accommodations are great. I can not imagine staying anywhere else in Venice!!:)

Last year we stayed at the All'Angelo and it was very nice. It has a water taxi stop but near San Marco stop and about a one minute walk from St. Mark's church........perfect location. Check out their reviews on Trip Advisor, and check the picture of one of the rooms that a guest had posted and recommended. We requested this particular room, over looking a small canal, and got the room...a large room with antique Venetian furniture and the view of the canal and listening to the church bells at St. Mark's was magical!! We stayed there pre-cruise. Post cruise we stayed on the mainland at the Airport Courtyard Marriott due to the very early morning flight......too hard and very expensive to coordinate from the island, and the Courtyard was perfect as it has complimentary shuttle to the airport even though it is probably 100 yards and you could easily walk it and wheel your luggage. We heard good things about the Locanda also, but it was booked for our dates........the All'Angelo was great and we would stay there again.

We are staying at the Hilton Molino Stucky Venice for 3 nights on our pre cruise on the Oceania Insignia the end of July. Two reasons for this 1) It is the only Hilton in Venice and it takes our HH rewards.2) It is part of Oceania pre cruise opption and am hoping to hitch a ride to the port with them.

I can highly recommend Hotel Ai Due Principi; it just opened a few months ago, only 15 rooms, and is gorgeous inside. The bathroom was incredible. It is about a 5 minute walk from the San Zaccharia vaporetto stop, and a 5 minute walk to Saint Mark's Square. Lots of restaurants and shops nearby, on a small canal, and great service. The owner himself wheeled one of our suitcases to the waterfront as we were departing!

Loved this place and would def. stay there again.

Cathy

In December, we choose the Hotel Abbazzia (B&B) for its unique and historic atmosphere in an old abbey. It is conveniently located next to the railway station, walking distance from the bus station (over the new bridge) and walking distance all over Venice.

In addition, the hotel has wonderful helpful friendly staff.

http://www.abbaziahotel.com

our recommendation is hotel lisbona. five minutes walk to St Marks, on a canal that leads straight up to the grand canal. was by far the cheapest canal front room we found in many hours of searching. friendly staff, a very good breakfast.

room like a shoe box!! but two windows opening down on to a gondola 'parking area'.

thought it was ironic that we looked right into the Bauer, one of, if not the most expensive hotel in Venice. They couldn't open their windows, but we could just look at the side of our hotel and we could lean out and soak it all in.

In December, we choose the Hotel Abbazzia (B&B) for its unique and historic atmosphere in an old abbey. It is conveniently located next to the railway station, walking distance from the bus station (over the new bridge) and walking distance all over Venice.

In addition, the hotel has wonderful helpful friendly staff.

http://www.abbaziahotel.com

Thanks for the review... we are staying here in May. Mostly for the ease to the train station. But, it is the highest rated hotel that is near the train station on Trip Advisor.

Thanks for the review... we are staying here in May. Mostly for the ease to the train station. But, it is the highest rated hotel that is near the train station on Trip Advisor.

I'm sure you will enjoy the hotel.

I forgot to mention they provide a generous continental buffet breakfast.

Archived