Just back from 12/14 - 12/21 Solstice cruise

marylander2

...how easily your personal opinion can be interpreted by "diagonal readers". Honestly.

When I wrote that Oceanview Cafe was crowded I meant it was crowded at specific times when I wanted to have breakfast - not only during embarkation day. Certainly, if I show up at 6:30 am there is no crowd at all, but isn't it the purpose of luxury cruising - to have experience which fits your expectations and your schedule?

I also can (I assume) to go to the sauna at 3:00 am and be a sole user of the whole facility, but... you catch the drift, right?

If you want you can dig in the Internet and find the actual factoids on the size of the pool area on Solstice - I can tell from my own experience that it is for sure smaller than pool areas on Princess/RCCL ships of comparable passenger capacity... Therefore the sardine-like placement of the lounge chairs is a radical solution.

I am also totally convinced that the Lawn Club is a disasterous engineering/design decision and it will eventually be converted into something more useful (spacewise).

But I am deviating.

I did not say that my experience was negative. In the beginning of my short review I said that these small observations (BTW, did I say - facts?!) were somewhat on the contrary to overall cheerful chorus of opinions on how great the Solstice is. I also said at the end that she is a great ship, great - but not terrific, and specifically because of these observations. They are mine and mine only, I did not pretend to be a messiah of any kind. Some people found my comments useful. They asked questions, got answers, and left. After all, this is the reason we write here and read what others wrote.

I feel quite uncomfortable when some readers accuse me of telling lies or misguiding other (future) cruisers. I also found that many times this board puts black label on those who write about negative findings on Celebrity ships. This was another reason why I wanted to be truly honest about my impressions. I do not want to join the chorus, as much as I do not want to complain about everything. To bury the hatchet, this was our 3rd cruise with X, we did not sail that much with any other cruise lines.

And that's the real fact, ladies and gentlemen. I like cruising with X, but I do not like when normal - and I mean, NORMAL - new cruise ship instantly becomes idolized. There's a lot of things which are nice onboard of the Solstice but there are a lot of things which require attention and most importantly, change.

I just humbly tried to point out on some of those things, based on my individual view.

Thank you for your honest assessment.

I have a question about the table set up in the main dining room. I have to do seating for a group of 44 people. How is table placement - I need two tables of ten and two for eight, one for 6 and one for 4. Would that seating be able to be placed in the same area of the dining room? I want to set tables so that it is the easist for th Maitre 'D to assign all the tables near each other.

Willysgrandma, I have seen placements like that even nearby our table - there was a large table for 10, table for 6, etc., but I can't tell for sure. First thing I would advise you to do is to contact X Customer Service and inquire about this (I am sure you were going to do this anyway...). It is really large group and I think it may need some tweaking on the floor to arrange all the tables for your group in one area. You may also look at the floorplan and - maybe - pictures of the MDR just to get an idea on how many 10pax tables are there and where they are located.

Enjoy your cruise!

I don't mean to sound rude, but it always always surprises me that people are just amazed that the ship rocks... that there is motion. ... I think if people have motion issues, or do not want to feel like they are sailing, they should book a land based vacation. The ships DO move... even with stabilizers. If you are in high winds and you are getting more of a "roll", the stabilizers won't do much. I think these big ships are giving some people the impression they won't feel the motion of the ocean. This is not true.

Hylasgirl, thank you for the input and for "don't mean to sound rude";). Once again, if you'd read my comment on the Solstice's motion, I said that she was rocking unusually (at times wildly) for a ship of such size. I sailed on at least a dozen of ships of various sizes but I never experienced anything like that. That bothered me quite a bit - the ship's reaction to high seas, not my personal reaction to 15-20 ft. waves... I sailed the world, believe me; I know what to expect from the ship built in the 21st century, with all advantages of 21st century technology.

I cannot deal with all the complaining, like someone complained because sea spray hit their balcony and made everything wet. Or some other soul had to get up to get her iced tea, or the lobster was tough. Oh! Please!

What I would complain about would be if the crew was rude and indifferent or the captain drove the ship into a hurricane, clearly not the case here. Then I might say something and until then, I will sail on the Solstice in a couple of weeks and enjoy every moment, somehow, someway.

My wife and I were also on the 12/14 sailing of the Solstice and I would like to offer our two cents to the comments. The 1st sea day was rough and in talking to a deck officer he said the waves were 20-25 ft with a 30fter every once in awhile. We have been on 10 cruises with this our first on celebrity and I thought the ship did quite well for the height of the waves and felt it only prudent to move the solstice show to another night for safety reasons. The ONLY things we felt worth putting on our comment card was the soda card soda was often flat and the closet was to small. All other things fell into the not worth mentioning file or as my wife says " any week that I don't have to cook, make beds, do laundry,wash dishes, or worry about where the next meal is coming from is a GREAT week". To all those going on the Solstice relax, enjoy, and don't sweat the small stuff. :D:D:D

We are enjoying the comments pro & con---

we are on countdown for our Jan.25th sailing on Sol.. so we'll post our own when we get back...have to assume it will improve each time out...

we will definitely be checking our MDR table location & surrounding space..I am claustrophobic & do not want to sit quite so close to others at adjoining tables --just want a nice table for 6 to 8 (we never take larger due to slower service & difficulties conversing at larger tables)

We already have adjusted to the spalshy sinks from our trips on Century (hard for hand washables & swimsuits) ) Have heard there is no clothesline in the shower..is that true? That will be a problem--not so much for the 7 day carib itin, but when we return for medit trip in the fall --handwashing delicates is a must! Wonder if their famed lady design helpers ever sailed & actually had to deal with wet swimsuits & undies??

One other gen comment Please don't leave your balcony doors open at night--creates a howling wind & noise for the rest of us...bet many don't know that..(not looking to debate, just putting the info out there!)

many enjoy reading all the tips & hints so keep them coming!

We are enjoying the comments pro & con---

we are on countdown for our Jan.25th sailing on Sol.. so we'll post our own when we get back...have to assume it will improve each time out...

One other gen comment Please don't leave your balcony doors open at night--creates a howling wind & noise for the rest of us...bet many don't know that..(not looking to debate, just putting the info out there!)

many enjoy reading all the tips & hints so keep them coming!

I always sleep with the door open.. one of the best reasons to be on a cruise. the trick is to put a towel down by the cabin door at night. :)

I cannot deal with all the complaining, like someone complained because sea spray hit their balcony and made everything wet. Or some other soul had to get up to get her iced tea, or the lobster was tough. Oh! Please!

What I would complain about would be if the crew was rude and indifferent or the captain drove the ship into a hurricane, clearly not the case here. Then I might say something and until then, I will sail on the Solstice in a couple of weeks and enjoy every moment, somehow, someway.

Well said!

I think some people complain just for the sake of complaining. 90% of the complaints I've read about are really just nit-picking. Truth be told, I can sail on any ship today and come away with a long list of nit-picking complaints if I wanted to. The fact is I don't because I don't let the small stuff get in the way of an enjoyable vacation. Some people let every little thing bother them which is a shame. Some people are better off just staying home.

Ernie

Lsimon, most of the "on-the-back" tables on the 4th deck are arranged like that, and some on the 3rd deck closer to the windows. There are nice tables for 2, 4 and 6 persons, though; the usual restaurant style. They are located in the central area and closer to the balcony rails. But yes, you'll see "squeeze-me-in" approach quite often on the Solstice, unfortunately - in the MDR and around the pool, in locker area at the gym, etc...:mad:

Any tables for 2 at the balcony rail?

Hylasgirl, thank you for the input and for "don't mean to sound rude";). Once again, if you'd read my comment on the Solstice's motion, I said that she was rocking unusually (at times wildly) for a ship of such size. I sailed on at least a dozen of ships of various sizes but I never experienced anything like that. That bothered me quite a bit - the ship's reaction to high seas, not my personal reaction to 15-20 ft. waves... I sailed the world, believe me; I know what to expect from the ship built in the 21st century, with all advantages of 21st century technology.

It really doesn't matter which one of the dozen type of ships that you have sailed on. The route that is taken from FL to SJ has huge winds. All ships feel it. Did you notice that it rocked less on the way back to FL. The cruising path is different and misses all thse trade winds.

The beaches in PR are also very windy. If you are Condado Beach, batten down the hatches.

It really doesn't matter which one of the dozen type of ships that you have sailed on. The route that is taken from FL to SJ has huge winds. All ships feel it. Did you notice that it rocked less on the way back to FL. The cruising path is different and misses all thse trade winds.

I remember in the 1980's being on the SS Norway in the Caribbean, which at that point was one of biggest cruise ships afloat. It was so rocky you could literally see the floor go up in front of you.

Marylander2,

I thought a lot about the opinion you rendered regarding your sailing on Solstice. I wonder what I should do with the information you provided. You said you were tired, but could not wait to give your negative impression- to which you are entitled to of course. How does an opinion like yours affect us folks who are booked and cannot change things? Nothing majorly positive? Like you, we got caught up in all the hoopla of this new ship and scheduled this cruise for myself, my husband and my daughter. They have never cruised anything but Celebrity. I have been on the Crown Princess. Simultaneously, my sister-in-law and her husband chose this ship for their very first cruise. I'm concerned. If I had read a post like yours a year ago I would have thought hard, done more research and probably have stuck to an "M" class ship. We sail on Jan 4th on the Solstice however

When I booked this cruise my husband had a job. We don't know when we will get to sail together again. I'm under pressure to hoping my sister-in-law and her husband who are joining us have a good experience after we have chatted up Celebrity so much.

Despite your experience, we will choose to look at the positives instead of the negatives because any bad day at sea while warm, being fed and pampered is definetly better than a good day in snowy New England. I will salute you as the ship rocks, while laying in a chair so close to a neighbor having a gin and tonic, or when I have to carry that heavy plate of breakfast food I didn't have to prepare (Crown Princess had cheesy plastic plates, much lighter and perhaps more to your liking)...

Cheers and Merry Christmas...

I know you are under pressure from your recent posts and have expressed alot of concerns. I can only offer at this point that no one, but no one coming back has said that the staff has not bent over backwards, or that the service and attention has diminished, all qualities which are a hallmark of Celebrity.

As far as the ships go, there are X ships that did not fit my plans and I did not book them, and there are also ships that I thought I would not care for but decided to move forward with that had know flaws just like this one, but never made a dent in my overall enjoyment.

I don't know if you are ever going to look forward to this cruise, and I'd hope that you look at all the positive things about this trip and replace those draining thoughts with all the positives that do exist.

Starting with the fact that you are going on a cruise. How bad can that be?;)

My wife and I were on the 12/14 Solstice. Let me first state this was our 12th cruise All Celebrity. So we are die hard Celebrity fans. Having said that, the ship was beautiful, cabin was great, Sunset Veranda on 8th deck-our first aft cabin!!!! The bathroom was roomy and shower was the best. Food was good and Oceanview was a big step up from the usual buffet area, in terms of food choice and speed. Yes we missed the trays and were told that Celebrity was rethinking this. Lawn club area was a novelty that soon became why? I think this should be redone on the next 4 S class ships. Hot glass show was good but we live within a two hour drive of Corning NY and have seen it at the museum. Specialty restaurants were good but hardly special. Good service but not outstanding food-we tried all three. Our overall impression was beautiful ship, great service, so so entertainment. But the ship felt cold. Too much emphasis on putting in maximum areas to give everyone an opportunity to spend money. Maybe a few less bars and a truly special specialty restaurant. Bottom line while we enjoyed the ship and will continue to sail Celebrity we are going back to the M class ships, with the ability to sit outside in public areas on lower decks, a true Specialty restaurant and overall warmness. Yes each one has their own decore but overall all are great. Maybe as the new S class ships come in we will give it a chance but it is not a must do as it was for us with the M class ships.

Well said!

I think some people complain just for the sake of complaining. 90% of the complaints I've read about are really just nit-picking. Truth be told, I can sail on any ship today and come away with a long list of nit-picking complaints if I wanted to. The fact is I don't because I don't let the small stuff get in the way of an enjoyable vacation. Some people let every little thing bother them which is a shame. Some people are better off just staying home.

Ernie

My dear Ernie,

This is a perfect example of the arrogance I can't deal with on this board. You are accusing me of things I don't deserve - I just tried to get more down-to-earth opinion which may potentially help other fellow cruisers to get by small negatives onboard. What's the point to put another "incredible!", "magnificent!", "wonderful!" review here?! Yet, if I mention some hints or tricks to help others to avoid these negatives during their cruise, it is useful, isn't it? But instead I get slapped on the wrist:confused:.

We all do enjoy cruising no matter what, so try not to read comments such as mine as an attempt to nit-pick or to ruin someone else's vacation.

Peace!

I agree!!! There is a giant leap by more than a handful these days to associate objective comments and facts with personalized accusations of being irritated, having a crummy cruise, being a complainer along with all kinds of other mean and nasty characterizations and character assassinations.

Makes me wonder why some even bother with their time in such suffrage reading these boards....or is it just to nit-pick and complain about the posters;)

:eek:

My dear Ernie,

This is a perfect example of the arrogance I can't deal with on this board. You are accusing me of things I don't deserve - I just tried to get more down-to-earth opinion which may potentially help other fellow cruisers to get by small negatives onboard. What's the point to put another "incredible!", "magnificent!", "wonderful!" review here?! Yet, if I mention some hints or tricks to help others to avoid these negatives during their cruise, it is useful, isn't it? But instead I get slapped on the wrist:confused:.

We all do enjoy cruising no matter what, so try not to read comments such as mine as an attempt to nit-pick or to ruin someone else's vacation.

Peace!

marylander2,

Your review is a perfect example of what to do to recieve a "slap on the wrist" on these boards. I know that your intentions were to provide information, but when a review does not provide balance it tends to be viewed negatively. While you stated that you had a "nice cruise", you proceded to ONLY provide information regarding the long list of things "which prevented me to remember our cruise on Solstice as a perfect trip."

Thank you for your contrubutions to these boards. In the future, remember to include the positives the contributed to your "nice cruise" experience and I'm sure that people will be much more receptive to your criticisms.

Barb

My dear Ernie,

Peace!

Actually, my comments were in no way directed at you personally. I enjoyed your review as you spoke of the good as well as things that could use improvement. Nothing wrong with that. This being said, while you mentioned you had a great cruise, you focused primarily on the negative. It would have been nice to read about some positives as well .... although you did later in subsequent posts. Reading your first post the impression is that you hated SOLSTICE. Personally I don't believe that any cruise can be 100% perfect. There is always room for improvement even on the very best of lines.

My comments were directed at the chronic complainers that basically have nothing positive to say and pick apart everything. Believe me, there are plenty of these people on Celebrity as the line seems to attract this persona more than any other line I have sailed. I'm not really sure why as Celebrity honestly doesn't deserve some of the nit-picking.

Anyway, my apologies if I offended you. My remarks truly were not direct at you.

Ernie

"we had a great time. The ship is nice, there’s a lot of good new things in cabin design, decoration and – as usual – staff’s desire and ability to go extra mile for you"

HATED it?...Nothing positive to say?

"we had a great time. The ship is nice, there’s a lot of good new things in cabin design, decoration and – as usual – staff’s desire and ability to go extra mile for you"

HATED it?...Nothing positive to say?

I said very little positive to say. So great, you found one sentence at the very end of the review. Good for you. I guess you win a prize.

Ernie

GreenseyesM--

Please read the other many positive posts about SOLSTICE and don't worry. You will have a wonderful time. We were on the 12-14 to 12/21 SOLSTICE cruise and thought it to be wonderful--especially the staff attention to detail and the truly extraordinary beauty of the ship. I think there are people who, after viewing the Mona Lisa, would only comment that the Louver was a bit drafty.

BTW: We found the pools to be nice a warm (including the solarium); no real problem finding a good seat in the Oceanview Cafe; and, if the pool loungers were a bit close to each other there were more than enough to go around at peak times and there were plenty of nooks if you craved privacy. Were there things which should be improved upon? Yes. But, nothing to diminish a wonderful experience aboard.

Virginia Cruiser, thanks for the reassurance. I'm expecting to love the upcoming Solstice cruise.

This is what I just posted to my roll call mates:

Hello everyone. Today, I left my place of employment (a cancer treatment facility where I am a nurse) in a bitter cold snowstorm and I thought to myself that I am so lucky to be able to leave this for a while and enjoy myself with my little family in what appears to be a beautiful ship. I read all the reviews and worried a bit as we have two newbies cruising with us, but I have a feeling they will be hooked as the rest of us are. To me cruising is so much more than splashy sinks, food and pampering: I love the sail away from port- I'm one of the crazy ones out on the deck waiving madly to everyone (I hope I get to see Inlet guy and his pup). I love the dark sky where I can clearly see the stars. I love the motion of the ship that lulls me to sleep (I've been sea-sick so now I take appropriate measures). I love meeting the staff from all over the world, and sometimes speaking Portuguese to a staff member who would never expect it of me. Mostly, I love the color of the sea. So if I can have any of these on my cruise the rest as they say "is gravy".

I wish you all a wonderful happy and healthy New Year.

Maria

Archived