will it be hard to left my scooter on to the tender

tampaboy26

im goin to grand caymen next month and the person im goin with told me that carnival said that if they could life my scooter on the tender it wouldnt be a problem. i can walk with out the scooter but i would def need it on the island as i can walk a real long time.

I'm pretty sure my mom had no problems taking her scooter on the tender. The staff was very good at meeting all of her needs. The only problem she mentioned is that some ports are not as handicap accessible as others. Weather may be a factor though.

Most of the cruise lines are not now accepting scooters (or power wheelchairs) on tenders anymore. Rather than relying on your friend's idea, you really should call the cruise line and ask specifically. Note that most foreign ports and cities aren't particularly handicap (or scooter) accessible, even if you do use a manual chair. Many of us who use wheelchairs for mobility stay on the ship rather than risk the problems.

Grand Cayman is one of those places that is not HC friendly. Too many steps and curbs are very high. Riding in the street to find the flat curb was mind boggling.

I agree with the above statement-- rent a chair to use in the ports.

Like the other posters, I have never seen a scooter put on the tender. It would be difficult at best not only putting it on but getting it off at the dock. There are a number of steps to get into the tender and get out. GC is definitely not scooter/wheelchair friendly. The walkways are rugged and narrow with high curbs at street crossings. If the sea is rough, it is difficult for non-handicapped pax to get onto and off the tender at the ship and it is not unheard for pax to fall in the process.

You must keep in mind that safety is the cruise line's first concern and you cannot ever count-on being able to take a scooter on a tender. You also have another problem which is that they do not have the ADA in Mexico, the Caymans (or other countries). Sidewalks tend to be uneven in places and sometimes the curbs are high with no ramps. As some others have suggested, you might be wise to bring (or rent) a lightweight wheelchair or perhaps use a walker if that is adequate for your needs.

Hank

If you ask at the purser's desk they usually have wheelchairs you can use in the ports. Last cruise I think they said there would be a $75 deposit we would get back when the chair was returned. We decided not to bother. Ask on the ship once you board about getting one, or you can wait until close to that port to get the wheelchair. They will not let you reserve one ahead of time, you have to wait until you are on the ship.

I really cannot imagine getting a scooter on the tender. We couldnt manage getting someone with a walker onto the tender (this was a walker with gears etc). Steps to get up on the tender are difficult enough. I travel with someone handicapped and was with two HC pax last cruise. I think your chances of getting a scooter onto a tender are pretty slim.

we were not allowed to take the chair off in any port- Pursers desk cited liabilitie issues. Calling vacation care will get you one that you rent for the week- it will be in your cabin when you get onboard and someone will pick it up. Its a cheap price to pay to get around the various ports.

We were on the Carnival Glory in October 07. My DH had just had hip surgery and was using a scooter. We were told the scooter could not go onto the tenders. Since my DH could not walk, we enjoyed some quiet time onboard while the rest of the family went ashore.

ive never been on a tender before so i have no idea how you even get on one. any one have pics of a tender?

one of many different types

179014699iqetOi_th.jpg

188124858Wdnske_th.jpg

getting on a tender-

75068824SRtgGW_th.jpg

2293643640101102719dkHYpl_th.jpg

inside a tender

508350335yLpgvd_th.jpg

526199430PhvBuT_th.jpg

click on photo to enlarge

we were not allowed to take the chair off in any port- Pursers desk cited liabilitie issues. Calling vacation care will get you one that you rent for the week- it will be in your cabin when you get onboard and someone will pick it up. Its a cheap price to pay to get around the various ports.

Last Sept on the Carnival Conquest it was allowed in Cozumel.

But when we called ahead to ask, they were no help.

I might add that the RCL Rhapsody also allowed you to take their wheelchairs into Cozumel in 2007. However, the lady needed a extra large wheelchair, and they only had regular sizes and she was very put out because she said RCL said they could do this so they didnt bring her wheelchair, only her scooter. She could only go so far on the scooter because the battery would go down and need to be recharged.

Uusually, it is a rather steep set of stairs from the side of the ship down to the tender platform for boarding. Sailors are there to help but it would be extremely difficult - dangerous - for them to lug a very heavy scooter. I seriously doubt Captain/Chief Officer would permit an attempt at it and you certainly would not want someone injured.

I definitely would think of another way to spend the day rather than count on them getting a scooter down tender stairs and into a tender particularly as seas there can often be choppy.

Very often the tender is one of the ship's lifeboats -there is no way a scooter could be man-handled down the steps, through the hatch then down another step or two. IF the ship arranged for a large, barge-type tender from the port, AND if it were very calm (unlikely off Grand Cayman), the crew could probably do it, although I have never seen it done in over a dozen cruises. Once ashore, you would be surprised how scooter-unfriendly the place is. Even a regular lightweight wheel chair would be a hassle -- a walker is your best bet, if you can deal with it.

There is an area as you get off the tender that has shops and an elevator to get to the second floor. I use a rollator and usually just stay in this area rather than try to walk down the streets. If you have someone to push a manual wheelchair you will be okay, or get yourself a rollator with a seat for walking short distances.

Very often the tender is one of the ship's lifeboats -there is no way a scooter could be man-handled down the steps, through the hatch then down another step or two. IF the ship arranged for a large, barge-type tender from the port, AND if it were very calm (unlikely off Grand Cayman), the crew could probably do it, although I have never seen it done in over a dozen cruises. Once ashore, you would be surprised how scooter-unfriendly the place is. Even a regular lightweight wheel chair would be a hassle -- a walker is your best bet, if you can deal with it.

Tenders are not the ship's life boats.

Ships lifeboats are used in ports that dont have tenders. Private islands like Princess Cay.

Grand Cayman have their own tenders. I have yet to get on a ships tender.

Grand Cayman and Belieze are the only tendered ports I have been to though

Ships lifeboats are used in ports that dont have tenders. Private islands like Princess Cay.

Grand Cayman have their own tenders. I have yet to get on a ships tender.

Grand Cayman and Belieze are the only tendered ports I have been to though

It varies by ship and port. RCCL's Radiance class carries tenders onboard that are used in ports (and are also used as lifeboats). On Brilliance for example, we used the ship's tenders in Gatun Lake Panama and at Grand Cayman. But on Voyager at Grand Cayman, we used tenders provided by the port. On Rhapsody at Cozumel we used the ferries that are normally used to transport people to Playa Del Carmen as tenders. And at RCCL's private islands, they have tenders that stay there year round.

Archived