Rough in North Sea?

We are thinking of taking the Scandinavia & Russia Adventure 12 day cruise on the Rotterdam. One of the people in our group gets sea sick and I am wondering how rough this route is, primarily the part from Oslo to Rotterdam. :confused:

Have been on this route a couple of times without a problem. However, it is quite unpredictable.

We are thinking of taking the Scandinavia & Russia Adventure 12 day cruise on the Rotterdam. One of the people in our group gets sea sick and I am wondering how rough this route is, primarily the part from Oslo to Rotterdam. :confused:

This past late July from Dover in England, we sailed the North Sea to Oslo. Everything was smooth and wonderful. My sense and from what I've read is that the summer period is fairly calm and good for the North Sea and the Baltics. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

And to support the other side, on our late-June 2008 leg (probably a month or so before the previous poster) from Dover to Copenhagen, we experienced some rough seas on our first night and first sea day. I believe the term "Rough" was actually what was used on the weather station onboard and I seem to recall that it listed waves as being 12-20 feet. It wasn't unbearable. People still did the usual things on board, but it made walking a challenge sometimes and they didn't leave things lying about unattended very much. I'm sure it must have caused some sea sickness with some passengers. It was enough to keep me from sleeping very well that night. The rest of the trip was very calm including the return trip into Dover across the same North Sea.

We are booked on the Jewel in Aug 2009. I was wondering the exact same thing. Are there certain parts of the cruise where the seas may be rougher than at other times?? Like with any cruise, no one can say for a certainty how the weathr will be or how the ocean will be, but generally, in August, would the waters be calmer than at other times??

Also, how is the weather in the Baltic areas and in St Petersburg. Is it shorts and t shirts, or long pants and a little jacket??

• 6 months later...

You are going the right direction because the ship will be going into the waves (if any) and wind. When the sea is 'following' it is harder to control the yawing and pitching than when the bow can cut through the waves.

In the North Sea the wind and weather typically comes from the south-west (hence the clothing referred by that name), so to go from Norway to Holland is into the wind.

Than again, in the summer the weather is always much better than in the winter months. I would not worry too much about sea sickness. If anything, it will be only a day or two.

I love to be at sea.

we sailed from Rotterdam to Oslo July 30/31 this summer

it was rough waters for us; we took seasickness meds as a precaution and were glad we did

yes, there were ill people on board

since you are sailing the other route, you might be safe

with water, you can never tell; we just didn't expect it to be that rough but we still managed to do things that day

hoping you have smooth waters for your cruise

Like a previous poster said it can be very unpredictable.

We have made that crossing a few times and have experienced both smooth and rough sailings. I find the Captains are usually very good in warning of rough weather ahead. If one is prone to be sea sick, take Dramamine right away. It really does work, but you need to take it before you get sick.

We sailed in 40 foot waves, yes, 40 feet, and it even worked then for me!

Archived