HAL Cancelled our Cruise - what now?!

Oregoncruisergal

First time post-er here. We booked 16 people on 3/22/09 7day cruise on Veendam out of Tampa. Just notified by our travel agent Vacations To Go that ship is (surprise?!) going into drydock early. We're celebrating grandma's 80th birthday during grandkids' Spring Break and there's 3 generations of disappointment now. Carnival has a similar cruise - same dates out of Tampa. Not what we originally wanted plus VTG says it'll cost us an extra $2K to book the same rooms. Shouldn't HAL help us out with this problem? Any suggestions? VTG hasn't "had a chance" yet to talk with HAL about this.

Jill in Corvallis

Talk to your travel agent. HAL doesn't have responsibility until final payment has been made, which should be very close in your case, so hopefully you have insurance or something else will be offered by HAL.

Good luck.

Welcome to CC. :)

I would be very disappointed in your case, what a fun family vacation and celebration. If you do not already have your airfare the Westerdam departs FLL on 3/22 and the Eurodam departs FLL on 3/21. Those might be good alternatives for you. Good luck with making all of the changes. Cherie

There was a long thread about this a couple days ago on this board, and I thought someone posted the cruise had been shortened from seven to five days, not cancelled.

Read your cruise documents; HAL maintains the right to cancel your cruise for any reason. I don't know why the previous poster thinks Carnival would give you a discount on the other cruise. Hopefully, your TA will be able to work this out for you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!

Your TA should be on the phone talking to HAL -- as soon as possible. If your cruise has been shortened -- you are due money back for the 2 lost days. If your cruise has been completely cancelled, HAL should be making you some offers. HAL will not be able to help you book a cruise on Carnival.

Please come back and keep us informed of your progress too. It will help others who may some day encounter the same issue.

Did you already have airfare paid for? This is really rough since it is spring break, I can't imagine HAL wanting to lose that extra revenue.

First time post-er here. We booked 16 people on 3/22/09 7day cruise on Veendam out of Tampa. Just notified by our travel agent Vacations To Go that ship is (surprise?!) going into drydock early. We're celebrating grandma's 80th birthday during grandkids' Spring Break and there's 3 generations of disappointment now. Carnival has a similar cruise - same dates out of Tampa. Not what we originally wanted plus VTG says it'll cost us an extra $2K to book the same rooms. Shouldn't HAL help us out with this problem? Any suggestions? VTG hasn't "had a chance" yet to talk with HAL about this.

Jill in Corvallis

We had a cruise cancelled by HAL for Feb. 2010. Our TA, after more than an hour on the phone and speaking to four different people at HAL, managed to get us another cruise with the price protected and some OBC. Not an awful lot of OBC, but every little bit helps.

Terri

Shouldn't HAL help us out with this problem? Any suggestions? VTG hasn't "had a chance" yet to talk with HAL about this.

HAL will probably offer you all some OBC to compensate you for your trouble. And your travel agent will work with them to get you on another HAL sailing around the same date. You will get "accommodations" on that sailing ... some OBC, perhaps a cabin upgrade, etc.

Just give your TA a chance to work with HAL on it.

Unfortunately, these things happen. My guess is that HAL is trying to get as many ships into drydock this year so as to have the entire fleet available next year when a couple of ships will be based in Vancouver for the Winter Olympics.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!

Your TA should be on the phone talking to HAL -- as soon as possible. If your cruise has been shortened -- you are due money back for the 2 lost days. If your cruise has been completely cancelled, HAL should be making you some offers. HAL will not be able to help you book a cruise on Carnival.

Yeah, but sometimes people don't want a shortened cruise. For five lousy days, some people wouldn't consider the airfare even worth it. I know I would have a problem with a shortened cruise. If I have to fly to get to the pier, I want a bare minimum of seven days, probably more like 14.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yeah, but sometimes people don't want a shortened cruise. For five lousy days, some people wouldn't consider the airfare even worth it. I know I would have a problem with a shortened cruise. If I have to fly to get to the pier, I want a bare minimum of seven days, probably more like 14.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We won't even consider 7 days -- 14 is the shortest we will do.

I feel bad for them because they were planning on a nice 80th birthday for the grandmother.

Read your cruise documents; HAL maintains the right to cancel your cruise for any reason.

And this is why I'd never book a family group on a cruise. I'd do a land vacation. We've yet to be bumped from a hotel, or a condo. I'm sure it happens from time to time, but after reading here for years, I've seen too many cruises canceled because the cruise line has their rears covered every which way in their documents.

HAL should help them out. Even though their contract exempts them from doing so, it's good business practice, especially since their cruise was only a little over 2 months away.

Jill in Corvallis

I'm sorry this has happened to you with such a short notice. Hopefully, your TA will be able to find something that works for you. Carnival may work with you because of the size of your group. Good luck!! :)

HAL should help them out. Even though their contract exempts them from doing so, it's good business practice, especially since their cruise was only a little over 2 months away.

I agree with you that a cruise is not necessarily a good alternative when there are special plans involved, such as a major birthday celebration or wedding. If it was absolutely a non-negotiable to be at a certain port on a certain day, or to have everyone together for a milestone celebration, I would make it one on land due to the many contingencies experienced on a cruise.

That said, however, believe me ... with the size of the group the OP had planning on that sailing, I am sure HAL will make it easy for them to switch to another ship, or make it very advantageous to them to take the shortened cruise on this one. He just has to give his TA a chance to work something out. I'm sure HAL will have another cruise leaving at about the same time ... on a different ship ... but doing basically the same sort of itinerary. If so, maybe they will pick up the OP's party's airfare change fees as well.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Even if they are short 2 days of the cruise, there is still additional expenses involved. Assuming they are flying, there will be air change fees, usually $100 per ticket PLUS the difference in ticket costs. For 16 people, that's $1600 right off the top, assuming they can even get airline tickets since it's spring break. If they don't want to change airline tickets, they can stay the extra couple nights in a hotel. Again, with it being spring break hotels are at a premium. HAL should do something for them since it's less than 2 months until the cruise. That's really late to be making changes to an itinerary.

I agree with you that a cruise is not necessarily a good alternative when there are special plans involved, such as a major birthday celebration or wedding. If it was absolutely a non-negotiable to be at a certain port on a certain day, or to have everyone together for a milestone celebration, I would make it one on land due to the many contingencies experienced on a cruise.

We do a "Cousins Get-Together" each year. We've been doing this for 8 years or so at this point. Each year, one cousin picks a city (in the US) and we all meet there for the week. Last year someone mentioned a cruise, and I shot that down. There's too many of us (around 20) to be trying to change air and dates, should the cruise be canceled...be it for a charter or maintenance. And we've yet to encounter any cancellations by the hotels or condos we've used. I love cruising, and I love HAL, so it was really hard for me to shoot down the idea of cruising.

That said, however, believe me ... with the size of the group the OP had planning on that sailing, I am sure HAL will make it easy for them to switch to another ship, or make it very advantageous to them to take the shortened cruise on this one. He just has to give his TA a chance to work something out. I'm sure HAL will have another cruise leaving at about the same time ... on a different ship ... but doing basically the same sort of itinerary. If so, maybe they will pick up the OP's party's airfare change fees as well.

Yep, I agree with you on this. :)

The cruise contracts for all cruise lines give the carrier the ability to cancel or modify a cruise at any time. When this happens, the cruise line, any cruise line, has no obligation other than to refund deposits/payments.

This does not mean that the cruise line will not do something more but they are not under and obligation to do so.

This sailing is now showing as a 5 day cruise. It appears that all cabin categories are available for sale, which suggests the possibility that all prior reservations were cancelled and/or need to be reconfirmed. This is speculation on my part.

What makes this so darn dicey is that Final Payment date is a future date.

I would think it reasonable that HAL secure hotel rooms, at their expense, for those passengers who were previously booked on the 7 day cruise and intend to cruise on the 5 day sail. Again, this is speculation- wishful thinking on my part.

I am sorry that anyone has to be disappointed like this. No doubt there is a good reason for this. Cruise lines do not cancel/reduce the # days, willy-nilly.

Wow! Thank you all for your advice and input. Vacations To Go is on it and has given us some HAL and other cruise line alternatives. We're hopeful that HAL will make some accomodations for our group. Maybe it's a good thing grandma only turns 80 once (too bad she didn't wish for a Hawaiian beach vacation together...).:) I'll keep you updated!

Jill in Oregon

We do a "Cousins Get-Together" each year. We've been doing this for 8 years or so at this point. Each year, one cousin picks a city (in the US) and we all meet there for the week. Last year someone mentioned a cruise, and I shot that down. There's too many of us (around 20) to be trying to change air and dates, should the cruise be canceled...be it for a charter or maintenance. And we've yet to encounter any cancellations by the hotels or condos we've used. I love cruising, and I love HAL, so it was really hard for me to shoot down the idea of cruising.

I cannot believe it when I hear that people plan their weddings during cruises. Only certain cruise line captains can perform weddings onboard, so many of them make arrangements to have the actual ceremony at one of the Caribbean islands the ship will visit. I can't believe anyone would do this! Usually only some people will take the cruise, while others will fly to the island for the ceremony. Now, I can't help but think ... what would happen if for some unknown reason the ship couldn't make that port stop? Maybe it's a tender port and the seas are too rough. Maybe there's a medivac the day before and now the ship is way behind schedule, so the Captain decides to skip that port. Maybe it's just about anything that results in the wedding party not showing up. What if? What if?

A cruise is, in my opinion, the best vacation there is. But to plan a wedding (or actually any logistically-intensive event) around one is insane, if you ask me. Can you just imagine? All these families already in route to the island for the wedding with no way they can be gotten in touch with ... and the ship (with the bride and groom and immediate family) doesn't stop there? Oh, baby! Talk about tears and wailing. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

I cannot believe it when I hear that people plan their weddings during cruises. Only certain cruise line captains can perform weddings onboard, so many of them make arrangements to have the actual ceremony at one of the Caribbean islands the ship will visit. I can't believe anyone would do this! Usually only some people will take the cruise, while others will fly to the island for the ceremony. Now, I can't help but think ... what would happen if for some unknown reason the ship couldn't make that port stop? Maybe it's a tender port and the seas are too rough. Maybe there's a medivac the day before and now the ship is way behind schedule, so the Captain decides to skip that port. Maybe it's just about anything that results in the wedding party not showing up. What if? What if?

You are so right. Really, a wedding is stressful enough without adding all the potential problems you could encounter while on a cruise. I can't tell you how many times I've read posts on the Grand Cayman thread where posters are looking for info on weddings. There's no way on earth I'd be depending on a tender to get me to my wedding destination. We go there for land vacations, and it seems like at least one day a week, the ships can't stop because they can't get the tenders to the ship and back.

A cruise is, in my opinion, the best vacation there is. But to plan a wedding (or actually any logistically-intensive event) around one is insane, if you ask me. Can you just imagine? All these families already in route to the island for the wedding with no way they can be gotten in touch with ... and the ship (with the bride and groom and immediate family) doesn't stop there? Oh, baby! Talk about tears and wailing. :(

I love cruising. I am giddy with excitement over our next one, so you can imagine how hard it was for me to shoot this idea down for our "group" vacation. Once I explained to everyone why I didn't think it was a good idea, they all agreed.

It would be very upsetting, and you're right...talk about tears and wailing. And the money..OMG, beyond the unhappiness of it not working out, you've got to deal with money issues. Nope, I like playing it safe. Well, at least start with a plan that's reasonably safe. Anything can happen, but doing something like what we're talking about is like starting with 2 strikes against you.

I love cruising too. We've only missed one port in over 150 days but....

I don't think the people that plan a wedding from a cruise have done enough research to know what to expect. So many are used to paying for something and expecting it to happen. They will be the first to complain when it doesn't work out.

HAL offered us nothing but the possibility that they "may" reimburse us for the airline change fees for the 5 day cruise. With the run-around they were giving me, I couldn't imagine what I would have to go through to get reimbursed.

Fortunately, we were able to change our flights to Ft. Lauderdale (four of us), for a lower airfare and with the change fees, it didn't cost us any additional money.

We were considering the Eurodam but HAL wouldn't make any special consideration for us on the cruise fare. It would have cost us far more to switch so I bailed on HAL and booked with Princess.

By the way, I booked directly with HAL and at no time was I ever contacted regarding the redeployment. It was because of these boards that I was able to be proactive and make our changes.

Archived