Emerald Princess Dec. 20-30 Review

debbiewp

Despite some concerns at the thought of being on a cruise and missing all the traditional family holiday festivities, our family of 6 has nothing but thumbs up after our recent Christmas cruise on the Emerald...I will share a few observations on our cruise and will try and answer any questions.

Our family consists of me (53), hubby (54), son (25), daughter (22) and my parents (70-ish). This is our 9th cruise with Princess. With the exception of a Panama Canal cruise, we have never booked an excursion through Princess. We know what we want to do, we like being able to decide when we do it and when we have to get back to the ship…not to mention the financial benefit. Perhaps we have been very lucky, but we do ALOT of research (thanks to this board!) and most every trip off the ship has exceeded our expectations. And although we will sometimes do a tour of the island (such as last year in Dominica), we basically like to find a nice beach for swimming, sunbathing and snorkeling….and if we can shop a little on the way back, or see some of the island one way or the other, that’s fine. But I am not there for the shopping, so will have little info on that aspect.

All in all, we have little complaints…I will say that this is the first time we did not give an extra tip to either room steward or waiter. Everything was adequate and I can forgive a whole lot of errors if you just show a little PERSONALITY! We have had better service on previous cruises and waiters who were actually willing to smile and laugh every now and then…particularly since my family is pretty funny! This is also the first time we were forced to do anytime dining, but after the first couple of nights, my father was able to make reservations for the same time every night – same table – no problem. We never had to wait, and have decided that we prefer the anytime dining to the first seating traditional, which we have always had in the past. The menu had changed since our January 2008 cruise…we all love great food and were able to find something we all liked every night. And sorry, I just have to add how appalled I continue to be at the attire folks choose to wear into the dining room…I have seen all the posts on this and don’t want to start another, but that’s where I stand on the matter, FYI.

Princess Cay is what it is…very nice, relaxing day. I don’t really care for the lunch they serve there, but there is enough food back on the ship so it’s not a big deal to me. Oh, and they ran out of pina colada fairly early in the day!

Have been to St. Thomas about 8 times it seems…have spent some trips at Trunk Bay in St. Johns, and many others at Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas. This year, we went over to Water Island and loved it!! A beautiful beach, some snorkling areas, food...peace & quiet. Highly recommend if that is what you are interested in.

In Dominica, three of us went snorkeling at Champagne Reef – we had a great time despite the constant rain and maybe because we were about the only ones there most of the time. This is NOT a place for sitting on a beach! Last year, we arranged for a tour of the island, so the other three non-snorklers spent the day on the ship.

Grenada – we went to Grand Anse beach first thing in the morning, then had to be back at ship for an early departure.

Bonaire – got day passes and swam and snorkeled at the Plaza Resort (on the last cruise we went to Eden Beach).

Curacao – our second time to Playa Porta Marie -- from early morning until 2:00 pm, then into town for shopping and beers.

In regard to another post, we have always bought two soda cards upon embarkation. This year, we didn’t do it as soon as we got on, and my daughter and I actually had to go looking to buy one on Day 2. Duh, you can get them at any bar – but we in no way had them pushed on us for those two days.

Princess really seemed to make the most of the holiday, and it seemed like there were plenty of Christmas activities for children…there was even caroling in the atrium on Christmas Eve with snow! And with two sports fanatics at home, I see plenty of football (and I like it)…but I would rather have had a movie at MUTS rather than the games some of those nights. But that’s OK, too.

I am not going to complain about the coffee (it is fine), the toilet paper (also fine), the slow speed of the internet (somwhow, everyone managed to live 10 days without many e-mails from me and my husband NEVER checked on work matters!), or the fact that they now added dreaded onions in the International Café’s chicken salad!!! We were together as a family on a beautiful ship for 10 days in the Caribbean…my father’s favorite sayings are ‘Don’t sweat the small stuff’’ & ‘It doesn’t get any better than this!’’

However, I do have a few words for the couple who insisted on hogging BOTH washers first thing in the morning (7:45 am), and telling me it was pointless for me to be in line waiting for them to open the laundry room as they were not willing to give up one of the two washers (even tho they clearly could have fit their stuff in one load). To them, I say I found a laundry on another deck, and enjoyed the company of some much happier cruisers, and we were all willing to share and help each other getting that laundry done. And yes, there were plenty of pool chair hogs..although we always tried to get 6 chairs together, we NEVER left them empty and even took shifts going to lunch. My daugher and I watched chairs with just towels draped over them sit like that for literally hours.

Will try and answer any questions you may have…my 22-year-old daughter has taken over a lot of our cruise planning and is on the boards more often then me…..oh, and the four of us get a quad mini-suite with balcony….my husband and son are big guys, but we really don’t have any problem as none of us spend a lot of time in the room…

Only sad cus we will not be cruising again until January 2010!

Happy New Year! Debbie (in rainy Delaware)

Debbie,

Happy New Year to you also... may I ask what deck and cabin you were in? How were your beds/bedding? Any issues with the a/c in your cabin?

Also how do you get to Water Island in St. Thomas?

Thanks.

We were in a mini-suite quad D120...but not by choice. We initially were on the waiting list for a quad, and then when the one near my parents came available (they were in D620), my father's travel agent totally screwed up and did not reply to Princess, not did she let any of us know about it. So we lost it...not Princess fault. We did not end up with a room until Labor Day. Beggers can't be chosers at that point. The beds are fine...I know you can also ask for egg crate mattresses if necessary. I have a hard time sleeping in any room with my husband snoring and kids making various other noises. My doc gives me a 10 day supply of Ambien, and that takes care of all my sleeping problems. My kids are not thrilled to death with the sofa bed (my 25 year old son takes that) or the bed that comes out of the ceiling above it (22 year old daughter)...but they are used to that. Let me say that my father treats us to these cruises, and that arrangement has seemed to be the most economical for us (him!).

As soon as we get in the room first day, we crank ac up as high as possible...but that's us. The only time it gets stuffy is when we are all showering/getting ready for dinner...and we usually do that in shifts anyway. The room was actually a little chilly some nights.

Water Island: Since Princess is now docking at Crown Bay, it is a real hassle to get anywhere else on the island, and the cost of a taxi for 6 becomes quite a costly trip. The ferry to Water Island leaves from the Crown Bay Marina, right next to where the ship docks (if your ship is docking there). It is an easy walk. Find the restaurant Tickles and you can not miss the ferry. I think it is $5 round trip. He has a schedule ...it is about a 10 minute ride to Water Island. When you get there, you go up this hill and take the second (I think) right to Honeymoon Beach. Then it is all downhill. Problem with that is it is all uphill on the way back! There are bathrooms there (we did not use them, but they looked fine), a small grill with hot dogs, beers, burgers, etc. However, there are no beach chairs to rent, so you can sit on your beach towel or there are plenty of shaded picnic tables on the beach. The water and scenery are beautiful...tons of conch shells in the water, too.

It was just about deserted the day we were there...Princess does bring a biking group and a snorkling catamaran group there, but that was later and did not bother us. Perhaps I will get my daughter to post some pics as I seem incapable of doing that!

Thank you for the review! Did you get to try any of the specialty restaurants?

Despite my father constantly offering to take us to one of the specialty restaurants, we all declined. We did eat in the dining room every night, after martinis/drinks in Crooners or Wheelhouse. Now we would never do this at home, but I have to admit we made some later evening hour trips to the Caribe Cafe....just to see what was there....LOL

Nice review. Thanks. I would love to do a Christmas cruise...just need to talk everyone else into it!

Actually, the Christmas cruise worked out best for my kids, as far as having to take the least number of vacation days from work. However, there was resistance to the idea, esp. from my very traditional son....but in the end, everyone agreed to it. For me, it was the BEST Christmas...I still decorated at home, made cookies and some of that other stuff. Got my cards out early and exchanged gifts the Saturday before we left on the cruise. Different, but it worked. The cruise made me get very organized for the holiday..wish I could do that every year (be so organized, that is!). I will be back to doing ALL THAT other stuff that is expected next year....and we do know who does do all the holiday stuff, don't we???

i believe you forgot the wonderful, delicious WAFFLES at snack time and in the morning at the pizza station!!! :D

Thank you dear daughter...the waffles were quite yummy..both for breakfast and as a late afternoon snack when they serve the ice cream...around 3:00 pm!

Just a few questions for you as we were on the same cruise. Did any of your group notice the bad smell at the back of the ship by the stairs and the elevators? If you did not dine at the back of the ship you may not have noticed this at dinner time each day after about day 3 on cruise.

We tipped our waiter(s) and room steward extra as we were pretty happy with them.

We found our ac barely adequate. As we were a group of 11 with 6 cabins all over the ship, 2 cabins were noticably hot and the rest were just ok. We always put our AC at the max cool and the room was never that cold, it was ok but we like it cold.

Griswalds

Thanks for the great review Debbie in Rainy Delaware. We are sailing the Emerald in April and thoroughly enjoy reading such detailed reviews. I do have one question for you...do you know if they offer an afternoon tea on the Emerald? If so, do you know what it was like?

Thanks again,

Laura in Cold Maryland

Wow....waffles and ice cream:p Did they do this every day?

debbiewp's daughter here....

Yes, they did waffles and ice cream everyday at about 3:30 in the Horizon Court..two kidns of ice cream w/ all kinds of toppings and fresh little waffles where you could get maple syrup, chocolate sauce, and other toppings...the whipped cream is the best,...its not cool whip, it's the real whipped cream and its to die for!! They also have the waffle station take over the pizzeria in the mornings!

Bonaire – got day passes and swam and snorkeled at the Plaza Resort (on the last cruise we went to Eden Beach).

Thanks for your review Debbie. Do you remember how much the day passes were and does one just show up at the hotel lobby desk for them?

Thanks, Barb

BTB, I love your Dad's attitude! He, and all of you, can cruise with us any day. :D

Enjoyed your reviews/comments on the Emerald. We won't be sailing on her until next Oct., but am picking up info. and tips throughout the boards and hope to be well informed by then.

Didn't know about the waffles and ice cream...sounds yummy! BTW, is this the "free ice cream" that is served at 3:30pm in the Horizon Court? We haven't done that yet (sailed twice previously with Princess), but hope to this time.

Debbie, your Dad sounds like an absolute gem...love his attitude (and needless to say, his generousity)!:) Sounds like your family had a nice cruise.

Thanks for the great review your laundery room antics had me laughing. I hope to meet you in a laundery room one day....I will bring the pina coladas and a smile. I leave on the Emerald again soon and am excited...

I do have one question for you...do you know if they offer an afternoon tea on the Emerald? If so, do you know what it was like?

Yes, there was afternoon tea on the Emerald everyday from 3:30-4:30 in the Davinci Dining Room "served in a musical atmosphere." says the Patter. Don't know anymore info because we didn't go!

Thanks for your review Debbie. Do you remember how much the day passes were and does one just show up at the hotel lobby desk for them?

Thanks, Barb

BTB, I love your Dad's attitude! He, and all of you, can cruise with us any day. :D

Day passes at the Plaza Resort are $20 with a beach chair and $15 without the beach chair. You get them just as you are walking onto the beach, there is a stand to buy them. The $20 includes a chair (or a bed, they had several of those on the beach), and also free fruit punch at the bars. Unfortunately you can't reserve a day pass, but we got there as soon as we could off the ship and it was not a problem at all!

Archived