Thoughts on Aft Verandahs

J18ktleo

We're thinking of booking the Nautica in Australia next year and are looking at the aft verandah which, on many other ships, is highly desirable. Was wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts on this location as this ship is so much smaller than what we've done in the past (Princess, Carnival) and also if we should try to be more midship because of the smaller ship and cruising the Tasman Seas for 5 days could be more movement???:confused:

Seems as if aft staircase and elevators are less crowded.

I never noticed an aft elevator or staircase ?

We have been in 6084 & 7115 but had to walk to the elevator/staircase closer to mid ships.

Did 28 days in an aft cabin (6088) around SA with large Pacific swells - motion not a problem. Some noticeable vibration, but not a problem. Would definitely book an aft cabin again. Would guess that deck 7 is best choice.

We have been in 6084 & 7115 but had to walk to the elevator/staircase closer to mid ships.

LHT28,

Not sure what Animag1 was saying as there are only two stairway/elevator towers on the R ships and they are fairly midship.

Deck_06.jpg

In fact, the worst part about being in an OS, IMHO is the long walk to the elevator. We also found the aft elevators to be more crowded, at least during mealtimes, as all of the eating venues are aft.

Deck_05.jpg

Deck_10.jpg

All in all, though, those aft Staterooms are beautiful, and as (with those two staterooms in between the owners suites) you don't pay anything extra for the extravagant view, why not take advantage of it?

These cabins with a "free" extra perq are a rare breed these days, enjoy them while you can.

I've heard rumors that O has done something very sexy with the aft suites on the Marina along the lines of QM2.....dare we think duplexe?

qm2_Q1.jpg Yum!

We sailed on the old Renaissance ship in aft verandah (6033??if I remember) and my only complaint was that fine black soot seemed to be on our balcony.....had to wipe off chairs if in certain place. It is a very quiet room and all else was great.

We sailed on the old Renaissance ship in aft verandah (6033??if I remember) and my only complaint was that fine black soot seemed to be on our balcony.....had to wipe off chairs if in certain place. It is a very quiet room and all else was great.

FYI, 6033 is the small obstructed view cabin with the small zodiac partially, but not much, obstructing the view. It was our wonderful home on our first-ever Oceania cruise in September 2008. (BTW, it was a great location, right by the forward stairs, but absolutely quiet, and mid-ships for the slightly queasy like me.)

I could not even sit in the aft part of the Grand Dining Room for dinner due to the ship vibrations on this first cruise of mine, so aft cabins are not in my future!:)

We are in cabin 6080 for our Med cruise this summer. Did you experience noise or vibration in 6084? Thanks.

Hi Everybody,

I am a little concerned about the aft balcony if it is hard to see anything when sitting down. I am about 5'6" so I guess I just assumed I would be able to read a book and still have a nice view....maybe we should move?

Peggy

We are in cabin 6080 for our Med cruise this summer. Did you experience noise or vibration in 6084? Thanks.

Yes we did notice a vibration when under full power not bad when just cruising and if the waves are off the aft quarter it was bumpy

LHT28,

Not sure what Animag1 was saying as there are only two stairway/elevator towers on the R ships and they are fairly midship.

After 5 cruises I thought maybe I missed something;)

Suites are not in my future either but they do look very nice

We were in cabin 7116 with our friends right next door for a Med cruise in September and that location really made our trip. The views were amazing - my avitar is of a moon rise from that trip. We did have a couple of rough days but did not notice it was any "rougher" in our cabin than else where on the ship. I too was concern about the metal deck rail but had no problems seeing over it while seated in the room or on the veranda (I'm 5'5".) I could only see stars when lying down - but that was wonderful as well :)

hi everybody,

i am a little concerned about the aft balcony if it is hard to see anything when sitting down. I am about 5'6" so i guess i just assumed i would be able to read a book and still have a nice view....maybe we should move?

Peggy

Hi Peggy, here is a picture from our aft balcony last week (7121 on Insignia). I am about 5'5".

1551298694_CopyofIMG_1134.jpg.a8cd0ea01d8355b92d6841a40e84658d.jpg

Just got back from the same cruise as Kimiata. DW & I were in 6088, an OS. Aside from a few days where we could really feel the vibration, loved every minute of it. Glad we had the OS what with the lousy weather cruising Cape Horn as well as in the Chilean fjords. Never thought I'd see snow at that time of the year at those latitudes.

LHT28,

Deck_06.jpg

In fact, the worst part about being in an OS, IMHO is the long walk to the elevator. We also found the aft elevators to be more crowded, at least during mealtimes, as all of the eating venues are aft.

Deck_05.jpg

Deck_10.jpg

All in all, though, those aft Staterooms are beautiful, and as (with those two staterooms in between the owners suites) you don't pay anything extra for the extravagant view, why not take advantage of it?

These cabins with a "free" extra perq are a rare breed these days, enjoy them while you can.

I've heard rumors that O has done something very sexy with the aft suites on the Marina along the lines of QM2.....dare we think duplexe?

qm2_Q1.jpg Yum!

No duplex..

Jancruz1

LHT28: as you've sailed on the starboard and port sides of an Oceania ship. Which side do you recommend we book a cabin for a 25 day Amazon Adventure cruise? Thanks.

We have not done the Amazon but on any cruise there is a 50/50 chance of having the dock on your side of the ship

If you want to see it all book aft or forward but I do not think it matters as to side ...at least not for us

We are on the ship & that is what counts :D

We did the Amazon 2 years ago; it doesn't matter which side. You tender in to several Caribbean islands,the rest are pretty much 50/50 at the dock, and when you sail up the Amazon you will see one side, and when you sail back down you will see the other. It is pretty neat to have a balcony.

Friends of ours took one of the 4 non-suites located between the Vista suites facing directly forward, thinking they would have the best view. They said the wind was so strong onto the bow of the ship when it was moving that they couldn't stay on the balcony.

Friends of ours took one of the 4 non-suites located between the Vista suites facing directly forward, thinking they would have the best view. They said the wind was so strong onto the bow of the ship when it was moving that they couldn't stay on the balcony.

I'm sure that is true but it's a crapshoot either way. For example, you really don't want to be on the verandah of an owners suite when the wind is blowing in the same direction as the ship is sailing.

That is when the funnel gasses become a problem back there.

And with no wind in the Amazon, the mosquito's would be awful......wouldn't they?

As the Nuns used to tell us, "There will always be weather, whether or not"

Interesting observation on wind and funnel gases. I believe that you've got it backwards. With a head wind (ship is sailing into the wind) the funnel gases will be forced toward the stern with the potential for deposits on the verandas. With a tail wind, which we had several days, change for deposits is slim or none. We didn't experience any on those days with tail winds.

And with no wind in the Amazon, the mosquito's would be awful......wouldn't they?

Interestingly, we did not see insect One, of any variety, on the entire cruise, including the 1000 miles up the Amazon and back. I think it is the worng time of year (or the right time, from our point of view) for mosquitoes. Living in Florida as we do, we know that most of the year will be mosquito-free. the Amazon is at low water in Novermber/December, which probably accounts for it.

Here we were, with our long-sleeved "Bug Off" clothes, our Deet sprays and lotions and our anti-malarial pills, and all of it wasted.

I guess we'll find out about tail winds and funnel effects next year, when we are in 7116 (between the owner's suites). But, we turned down 7001 (between the vista suites) and would probably even turn down a vista suite at almost any price, if something else was available -- too much motion, too much noise and too much wind for us. I only hope the motion is not as bad at the aft end. I find it difficult to sit in Horizons Lounge if there is much of a sea, and could never enjoy the cabanas.

It's a good thing we're all different, or there wouldn't be enough of what we all want...:D

We just got back form the Amazon Adventure on Regatta. They go at Thanksgiving, which is the end of the dry season in the Amazon - no bugs! Everyone was ready for mosquitos with DEET to spare. We hardly ever saw a mosquito, or any other biting bugs for that matter. Great cruise - it makes no difference which side you are on. We were in 6054 - great cabin, great beds. Watch out for Ingrid, the land tour manager. She was uniformly rude to most of the passengers she deal with. She could be counted on to make a bad situation worse and insult your intelligence and developed quite a reputation by the end of the cruise. The land tours were overpriced and generally mediocre. The cruise itself was great, espcially Boca da Valeria. No land tours, just the village. Take lots of one dollar bills when you get of there. They want one for taking their picture, but they have costumes, animals, and the cutest kids in the world. Many small handicrafts for sale. No roads or stores at all. David was the best cruise director ever - and we have done about 15 cruises on various lines. Their "free" air was terrible, got us there just fine, but flights that don't leave until evening after disembarcation and change planes with too little time for you or your luggage to make it. I highly recommend the cruise itself, however.

Here we were, with our long-sleeved "Bug Off" clothes, our Deet sprays and lotions and our anti-malarial pills, and all of it wasted.

Don-

Doesn't that just kill you (in a good way)?

All that planning and being sensible and all for nothing.

Reminds me of our 2002 Alaska cruise when we packed Parkas and it was 85 degrees in Glacier Bay!

Just back (two days ago) from Regatta Cabin #7116 - one of the two stern cabins in between the two big suites. We have traveled in stern Concierge-class cabins on Celebrity Millenium-class ships a dozen times. First time on Oceania.

Too much soot. Little flecks most days. Gets on everything - and bottoms of shoes/sandals/feet! One day we had 3-inch globs! Yuck-what a mess.

Also some gassy fumes.

Too bad. That corridor outside stern cabins is always quiet. View was lovely, balcony just big enough for lounge chairs (our friends next door requested them, as it's crazy to have a balcony big enough and then only provide chairs) -- I requested an ottoman which was fine.

Concerning vibrations in 7116 - strong but only when coming into port for a brief duration. What I noticed about other location vibrations and would NOT like at all were the areas around some side cabins approximately 25% of the way from the stern toward the bow - the noise and vibes in the corridor there seemed very powerful.

Archived