Why do some people hate cruises?

AtSea08

I don't know thought if it is the service or food that turns people off, although it may cause them to change lines. What disappointed with a cruise people seem to say is that they will never sail ________ again! My sense is that there are cruise people and non-cruise people-- built into the genes I think. Then there are those who like to swing both ways, as it were.

It seems like when it comes to cruises, people love them or hate them. I've read on the board why people are head over heels over cruises, but why do you think that some people hate cruises and refuse to go?

So, do you love them or do you hate them.

I enjoy them enough that we do it every so often, but with so much other wonderfuly and fun things to do on vacation its always going to be once every couple years at best.

I've had this discussion with one of my very best friends whom I've vacationed numerous times and was sure he'd enjoy it. He and his family HATED it. If I told you why it'd throw the lovers into well.. I will just leave it at its simply not for everyone ;)

When I read of people driving for 2-3 days, over 1200 miles to go on a cruise, I get knots in my stomach.

I hate road trips, camping is torture and the thought of an RV trip, staying on a cement slab in a hook up "camping" site is my idea of not much fun at all. But many people love that.

I don't care much for flying, either, but if it gets me to my destination hours or days earlier I can put up with that.

It's not for everyone and for those of us who do love it, it's hard for us to understand why others hate it so. But then, I see travel shows about RV trips and cannot for the life of me understand the appeal of spending a couple hundred thousand $$ to drive somewhere and park. Think of all the other vacations you could fund for that amount. Sure, you get to see some of the country. You could do that by flying into an area and staying at a nice hotel and doing some day excursions.

Is it permissable to like cruising, but not love it to the point that it's the be-all-and-end-all of vacationing? I don't think it's necessary to put myself into either extreme category. I also don't think it matters why people don't care for cruises, even if they've never been on one. They are entitled to their preferences regardless of what anyone else thinks. Just as "cruise lovers" are entitled to their preferences, so are non cruise lovers. Neither "side" owes us an explanation.

beachchick

Edited by beachchick

Im thinking the same, but there are great ways to combat this.

I thought that too (that you could combat this) until my most recent cruise. I'd never gotten seasick on previous cruises. When it happened this time I took the pills offered at the main desk - I felt better but all I wanted to do was sleep (I also had NO appetite when I was awake). So I missed out on a lot of things. Which was a shame considering the investment (money and expectations). Perhaps other medications would have had different effects, but as I said before, I had never anticipated the need for them. Fortunately I felt better the last couple of days of the cruise.The situation was not enough for me to "hate cruising" but it did make me understand what some people face and why they are hesitant.

I agree with Simplelife. It is very possible to experience seasickness on a cruise (I have) and it can be a really miserable experience. Meds help but it doesn't always 'cure' it. I can see why people who are prone to this are hesitant to cruise. I've heard many people say 'you never feel the waves on those huge cruise ships' but that is simply not true. If you get into rough seas, you will feel it. Whether it bothers you or not is a individual thing but anyone who has ever experienced it knows how horrible it can be. It is very much like having a stomach flu and it takes a while to get over it.

I have a friend who was in the Navy for many years and says he's been on enough ships. I try to tell him the cruise ships of today are nothing like the ships he was on in the Navy, not even close. It's funny how some people have their minds made up without knowing the facts. Oh well.....more room for the rest of us.

Its almost like its not okay to tell someone you didn't like your cruise vacation.

Excellent point. Every time someone reports a bad experience on these boards, they get torn apart by the cheerleaders. It really is sad. :rolleyes:

To each his own. I happen to love cruising. But for those who don't, that's fine. My best friend doesn't cruise because she doesn't like only spending one short day in each location. We discuss and debate the differences all the time. Her argument is that she can get the same level of service in a nice hotel, with better food and a bigger room, and be able to spend more time in a particular location. I respect her opinion and she respects mine.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

We have to realize that there are a lot of independent travellers out there. They look at cruising as a lazy vacation, one that doesn't require any planning, any input, you just go where the cruise goes and everything is taken care of. We like cruising and land trips. I love to cruise to an area for the first time, get a taste and then go back and really spend time in a specific area, living like a local. Sometimes cruising is stictly for fun and for a getaway and really has nothing to do with travel, you just want sun and sand. To each his own!

Sometimes cruising is stictly for fun and for a getaway and really has nothing to do with travel, you just want sun and sand. To each his own!

And sometimes that is just what the doctor ordered. Get on a floating hotel, drift around the sea, eat too much, glimpse pretty places, and veg out. Sounds really really good right now!

And sometimes that is just what the doctor ordered. Get on a floating hotel, drift around the sea, eat too much, glimpse pretty places, and veg out. Sounds really really good right now!

Exactly!! Back a number of years ago we were all set to go to Europe for a couple of weeks, I had just finished a large project that i'd been travelling for and put in huge amount of hours... I just couldn't face it, we cancelled and booked the 11 day circle the caribbean cruise. Just needed to veg.

I have a friend who's afraid of water. Not good for cruising:D

I dunno....I have a dire fear of water, can't swim, prefer baths to showers (to keep water out of my face), but I LOVE CRUISING! Go figure, lol.

On that same hand, my brother is just like me in regard to water, and he is a towboat captain!

Some people are simply too active and feel trapped on a ship for the sea days. My DH has family who feel this way. Others are simply jealous of others who can afford the experience. Some just don't know what they are missing and have preconceived notions as to what it will be like.

Others are simply jealous of others who can afford the experience. Some just don't know what they are missing and have preconceived notions as to what it will be like.

Again, people who don't like cruising are somehow deficient. (Too poor, too uneducated, etc) Well, I suppose there are sites where cruisers are knocked as being somehow deficient too.

• Like 1

I would rather have surgery than go camping.

FOTFLOL

I guess that I need help. I love any and every type of vacation. I love camping, cruising, and land based vacations. We own an RV and have driven cross county with a teenage and a preteen. :eek: I have tent camped with our BSA troop more time that I can count. I have stayed in various accommodations from youth hostels to some of the best, most expensive hotels in the U.S.. Also have been on 4 cruises with many more to go. I haven't flown to Europe as yet, but when I do, it won't be for just a one week trip.:rolleyes:

Perhaps I am just a vagabond or love adventure in my life. :D

I love the peeps that hate them but have never been on one.

I have never ridden in a hot air balloon. I will never ride in a hot air balloon.

Hot Air balloon fans say the same thing about me. "I've you've never been in one then you can't know how it will make you feel-- why do you hate the balloon?"

That merely shows a closed mind: the idea that someone cannot know themselves well enough to know what they would and wouldn't like.

Some folks know they would not like a cruise because they know themselves well enough to know this. Just because you disagree and they resist the prodding to 'admit they are wrong' does not mean they 'hate' anything or that they are in anyway incompetent or stupid.

Edited by kornkob
  • Like 1

IThat merely shows a closed mind: the idea that someone cannot know themselves well enough to know what they would and wouldn't like.

Some folks know they would not like a cruise because they know themselves well enough to know this. Just because you disagree and they resist the prodding to 'admit they are wrong' does not mean they 'hate' anything or that they are in anyway incompetent or stupid.

Thank you! I also post on the Slowtravel board and I assure you, they don't spend their time talking about how incompetent and stupid cruisers are so I don't know why there is a need here.

ps..hot air ballooning is fun ;)

Edited by Cruise Junky

ps..hot air ballooning is fun ;)

Could be but it is on a list of things I will not be doing like: hang gliding, scuba diving, mountain climbing, logging, submarining, ziplining, volunteering to do anything in Detroit, working on an oil rig, running for office, eating liver or spending any more time than I absolutely have to in the company of 2 or more 13 year old girls talking on cell phones. : )

(Not that you are suggesting otherwise--- just further illustrating a point we agree on)

I am not stupid, close minded, lacking in courage, unwilling to challenge my assumptions or unmallable. I merely have a solid understanding of what my likes, dislikes, limitations and preferences are and these things contain one or more aspects that do not fit within the scope of things I wish to do. And yet, there are thousands of things I have not yet done and I could spend the rest of my life trying to experience it all and never finish.

In fact, the US is a large enough country with a wide range of climates, subcultures, events and attractions and I could spend the rest of my life trying to experience all that and never quite finish.

Edited by kornkob

Over the course of my cruise obsession to date, I have brought along a total of seven different friends and family members at various times. (Never been more than four of us together on one cruise.) ALL have cruised again or intend to cruise again. Only one had a negative experience.

That friend is a business executive whose income FAR exceeds my own. She likes luxury vacations with the freedom to control her time. She despises standing in lines. She didn't like planning excursions in advance and having to meet at a certain place at a certain time...after standing in line to disembark. She's an "all inclusive" resort fan. Cruising was to "Disney World" for her.

Like I said, everyone else I've introduced to cruising LOVED it. I read that something like 75-85% of first time cruisers will cruise again. My experience seems to bear that out.