Do you book your next cruise while on a cruise?

We don't---I mean, we're still paying for the cruise we're on ( drinks,etc.)...don't need to pay anymore to the cruise company! Why should they have the use of my deposit, until I decide where and when I want to sail??? And, until I'm in front of my calendar, ...well, you see why we don't.

On Royal Caribbean, I took advantage of the Next Cruise program. I paid a $100 pp deposit on a future cruise that can be decided whenever I'm ready to choose an itinerary. With this program, you receive onboard credit which is always nice. I believe it was $50 per stateroom for 3-5 night cruises, $100 for 7-9 and $200 for 10+ nights. It was convenient for me since I had no idea when or where I wanted to cruise- just that I wanted to. From what I understand, the onboard credit is also available if you book your actual itinerary during a cruise. The reduced deposit can potentially be another plus.

We have been booking the next cruise while still on board. It is $250/each deposit for a 7 day cruise and we get at $100 OBC per stateroom. We get to pick our stateroom (read hump cabin). However now that RCL will no longer allow a $100 OBC for next cruise and a shareholder $100 OBC to be combined, the encouragement to book ahead or get a next cruise is gone. We will not be doing this anymore. This will allow us more time to search the internet for a better price or itinerary.

I never have in the past, but I'm going to this time. I won't actually choose the date or truly "book" it, but I am going to put down the $250 deposit (and get the $100 OBC, so it really works out to paying $150 for $250 worth of deposit) because on NCL you have 24 months to book the next cruise using this deposit and up to 30 months to cruise.

I don't 100% know when our next cruise will be, but something tells me we should be able to take another one (even if it's just a short 3-day one) sometime before September 9, 2011.

Just a hunch.

I am wondering if it is a good idea to book our next cruise while we are on the cruise we'll be taking at the end of this month. I would like to hear some of the Pros & Cons of doing this.

We cruise every year and almost always book while on the cruise. The last cruise we did on Holland America we had to put $200/per person and got $120/per person ship board credit and didn't have to go on our trip for 3 years.

Benefits:

On board credit

Can use our own travel agent to book the next cruise (the line sent her a copy of our agreement so she'd know we did this and so she gets credit for the booking)

$400 less we have to come up with later as a deposit (just a drop in the bucket compared to our current shipboard spa and bar bills)

Work directly with the line's cruise consultant to get inside information on the best deals coming up

There's no minimum cabin size or fare so you can still get the best deal through your agent without having to spend more

We know we'll be going on another cruise :D

Disadvantages:

The bookings and credit aren't transferable to another cruise line (we shift between three lines so we may not be able to take advantage of the credit on our next cruise, but we will sometime before the time runs out)

They have a fixed "use or lose" policy so you could delay your booking beyond the agreed upon date (especially if you're a casual cruiser, which we aren't :))

Randall

Can someone clarify the booking for me. I will be going on a 3 day RCCL bahamas cruise with my Mother and sisters in March. My parents are planning on taking the entire famiy (13) of us to Alaska in August and we have been looking at the 10 day Cruisetours through RCCL. Does it make sense for my mom to "book" the alaska cruise at the end of the Bahamas cruise? She will be booking 5 rooms. Thank you - D

Can someone clarify the booking for me. I will be going on a 3 day RCCL bahamas cruise with my Mother and sisters in March. My parents are planning on taking the entire famiy (13) of us to Alaska in August and we have been looking at the 10 day Cruisetours through RCCL. Does it make sense for my mom to "book" the alaska cruise at the end of the Bahamas cruise? She will be booking 5 rooms. Thank you - D

You might as well! That way you can receive onboard credit for all 5 rooms. Pretty much the only reason why people don't want to take advantage of booking onboard is because they cannot combine OBC with other discounts (shareholder, platinum cruiser). If you are not eligible for the other discounts, then it is a nice deal- plus it's convenient. Also, it's nice to talk to a future cruise consultant while on board to answer all of your questions.

not always...but if we know our next cruise will be with that line and have an idea of where we are wanting to go then we will

We arent going to on the upcoming cruise with Princess only b/c we have ourselves planned through the year and the cruise in spring 2010 will be to Alaska and on RC (we have a few hundred $'s in OBC on RC through their Visa card so will take that cruise with them)...so for us there's no real reason to book with Princess

• 2 weeks later...

I find the prices seem to be better the closer to the cruise.

Being retired (finally) I have the luxury of waiting. Of course, I'm not real picky. Don't care where the ship is going at all. All I want is a balcony and 7 days on a ship somewhere.

I'd never book a cruise more than 4/5 months out anyway. Too much can change. My last cruise was booked 10 days out....and I saved way over 500.00 over the regular price......

We never book on board because they never seem to have access to any of the specials. Last month on the Crown Princess I talked to the Future Cruise person about an email I received for a buy 1 get 1 free deal on a British Isles cruise. Not only did she know nothing about any promotions, she told me that she had no way of finding out any information on it and would not be able to help me. She wasn't very nice about it either,

On the other hand, I always buy Future Cruise Credits to use as a reduced deposit and OBC whenever I am on Princess.

We did on NCL. They gave us $100 OBC instantly and required total $250 deposit for our next cruise. We have booked that one and received a discounted price on the next cruise, they will honor price drops before final payment and we also received $100 OBC for that next cruise. I also have a next cruise for RCCL, but I haven't used that one yet as they haven't offered anything worthwhile for us :p.

We don't---I mean, we're still paying for the cruise we're on ( drinks,etc.)...don't need to pay anymore to the cruise company! Why should they have the use of my deposit, until I decide where and when I want to sail??? And, until I'm in front of my calendar, ...well, you see why we don't.

Slightly different senario, we were recently on QM2 and booked a cruise in September, a specific cruise. We paid £350(sterling) deposit and received $600 obc Now at roughly $1.50 to the £ I recon I am well in credit. I must admit that is the first time, but I will certainly look forward to booking further cruises when on my next one. We also transfered that booking to our favourite TA who the gave us their discount as well, quids in I'd say:D

Slightly different senario, we were recently on QM2 and booked a cruise in September, a specific cruise. We paid £350(sterling) deposit and received $600 obc Now at roughly $1.50 to the £ I recon I am well in credit. I must admit that is the first time, but I will certainly look forward to booking further cruises when on my next one. We also transfered that booking to our favourite TA who the gave us their discount as well, quids in I'd say:D

That's quite a deal! It just insures that I will be cruising again very soon ;)!

Last year while we were on RCCL we put down a 500.00 deposit to be used on a future cruise. This would give us an on board credit of 100 or 150.00. We asked all the questions about booking through a travel agent or using perks (my husband is in the travel industry) discounts. We were told at that time it would not be a problem yada yada yada. We are booked now to cruise on 2-15 on Voyager of the Seas. It has been a ROYAL nightmare as they did not want us to be able to use the perks discount as well as receive the on board credit. (Even though we asked this question). Long story short....we ended up losing the onboard discount all together and finally got them to at least let us apply the 500.00 to THIS cruise. They basically used my 500.00 for a year. Live and learn. Circumstances can change and we will never put a deposit down for a future cruise again. We will just fly by the seat of our pants and book at the last minute,:eek:

In October while on the Carnival Valor, we bought 2 certificates for $100. each to use toward booking 2 more cruises over the next 5 years. Each certificate purchase price was like a $100 deposit, and they also entitle us to an extra $100 OBC. You could buy as many as you wanted, but they all had to be used within 5 years. We only bought 2, wish we had gotten more, since my next cruise in May will be the end of them. My cruise aboard the Triumph in Nov didn't offer them, bummer! I think it's a great opportunity to do this, so worth the OBC, like getting free drinks!! Bring the rum runners filled for the rest of your drinks once the OBC is used up, LOL. Happy Sailing everyone!

Has it changed?

The cruise I am going on in 3 weeks i signed up for it 4 years ago on a princess cruise, I paid nothing up front and got OBC and a reduced booking when I booked one within 4 years.

No it hasn't changed (except don't you have 5 years?). I think Princess has one of the best programs because unlike some (like NCL) it is fully refundable.

Archived