Is there a dentist on NCL ships?

bklynangel

I was just wondering if there is a dentist aboard NCL ships? What happens if you get an absess tooth or even just a plain old tooth ache? Teeth can definately ruin a vacation.

On our Alaskan cruise our friend had a horrible toothache, that lasted all day while we were on an excursion. When we returned to the ship she went straight to the Dr. She doesn't know what he did, but did something, and gave her an antibiotic. W/I a day the pain was totally gone and they were able to enjoy the rest of the cruise and a day in Seattle. Upon returning home she went to her Dentist, he commended the work that had been done and said there was nothing he needed to do, the work was perfectly done.

do you have to pay to go see a Dr. on board - or do you use insurance? Just curious. Leaving on Pearl 2/1 with 19 month old- probably a good thing to know. Thanks in advance

;)

You will need to pay the Doctor on board. He/She is an independent contractor. Most U.S. health insurance does not provide coverage when out of the U.S.

You ticket contract has a paragraph about this.

I was just wondering if there is a dentist aboard NCL ships? What happens if you get an absess tooth or even just a plain old tooth ache? Teeth can definately ruin a vacation.

My husband broke a tooth on the ship in Hawaii and they told him there is not dentist on board but they could give him the name of one when we got into port.

Regarding insurance and the Doctors onboard. All charges from the medical center onboard will be charged to your onboard account, we can not charge an insurance company. However the medical center will give you all the paperwork, so you can get reimbursed by your insurance company, if you have that type of coverage.

You do need to check with your current insurance provider. I have one of the crappiest insurance providers I've ever heard of, but they do cover me anywhere in the world for emergency treatement. Of course outside the boarders of the US it is going to be out-of-network so my expenses are higher, but at least I'm still covered.

It is also very worth it to have Travel Medical Insurance which would actually cover what your medical insurance did not cover. You can find very reasonable rates at insuremytrip.com. Just be sure and search for Travel Medical not just Travel insurance if all you want is just the Travel Medical.

You do need to check with your current insurance provider. I have one of the crappiest insurance providers I've ever heard of, but they do cover me anywhere in the world for emergency treatement. Of course outside the boarders of the US it is going to be out-of-network so my expenses are higher, but at least I'm still covered.

It is also very worth it to have Travel Medical Insurance which would actually cover what your medical insurance did not cover. You can find very reasonable rates at insuremytrip.com. Just be sure and search for Travel Medical not just Travel insurance if all you want is just the Travel Medical.

Terry, they cover u anywhere because they know u are always on a ship....lol:D

Travel insurance might cover it, but you still have to PAY UPFRONT. Another good reason to travel with credit cards. I will never understand people that will pay for travel insurance, but do not travel with credit cards.

• 4 years later...

I just got off the Norwegian Dawn. We had a very lovely trip, but right from day one, I said I must be smiling too much as my jaw is hurting!

48hrs later my upper molar was in full pain and continued to worsen. I knew I needed antibiotic and most likely a root canal.....but my sister had vicodin on her which she shared with me so I could take the edge off the pain. In retrospect....I should have gone to the doctor and start some sort of antibiotics. It was 11 days before I was able to see my regular dentist and he showed me the xray as the infection was rampant and encompassed all the roots and had gone into the gums. He said at that point....it usually effects the sinuses! I was scheduled immediately for a root canal after 2 days of heavy antibiotics to take hold.

We had one woman in our group who went to the ships doctor for a recurrent foot problem and it cost her $136 office fee and $400 for an orthotic that didn't even work! I guess the over $500 bill scared me. Plus the fact that my husband and 2 sons are MD's so I subconsciously looked down on the foreign graduate doctor as overpriced and under-qualified. (my own prejudice) Next time I cruise, I will carry my own antibiotics (just in case) or use the ships doctor if indicated!

Things DO happen on a cruise! Ouch! Be prepared or be smart enough to know when its time to visit the ship's doctor!

I just got off the Norwegian Dawn. We had a very lovely trip, but right from day one, I said I must be smiling too much as my jaw is hurting!

48hrs later my upper molar was in full pain and continued to worsen. I knew I needed antibiotic and most likely a root canal.....but my sister had vicodin on her which she shared with me so I could take the edge off the pain. In retrospect....I should have gone to the doctor and start some sort of antibiotics. It was 11 days before I was able to see my regular dentist and he showed me the xray as the infection was rampant and encompassed all the roots and had gone into the gums. He said at that point....it usually effects the sinuses! I was scheduled immediately for a root canal after 2 days of heavy antibiotics to take hold.

We had one woman in our group who went to the ships doctor for a recurrent foot problem and it cost her $136 office fee and $400 for an orthotic that didn't even work! I guess the over $500 bill scared me. Plus the fact that my husband and 2 sons are MD's so I subconsciously looked down on the foreign graduate doctor as overpriced and under-qualified. (my own prejudice) Next time I cruise, I will carry my own antibiotics (just in case) or use the ships doctor if indicated!

Things DO happen on a cruise! Ouch! Be prepared or be smart enough to know when its time to visit the ship's doctor!

You think the "foreign graduate" doctor is over priced and under qualified, but you are qualified to dispense another patient's controlled substance to yourself? Really??????

If you are having some level of discomfort and the anxiety that goes with it, see your doctor or dentist before you go on your cruise.

Before our last cruise, I was having some discomfort and was not sure if it was sinus or teeth.

I went to see my dentist and he was not sure at that time what was going on. But the good thing is that he gave me an antibiotic prescription just in case, to fill and take with me.

Your question was answered by everyone's

Experience

The same with me. I was on the QM2 transatlantic . When I developed

An abscess.

The doctor did a procedure in the medical office

& tons of antibiotics

Of course no alcohol. Hmmmm

And make sure you take the insurance from

The ship or Travel agent or it can be costly

The times I've had to use the ship's doctor my travel insurance first required that I file with my primary insurance. Then the travel insurance covered whatever the first company rejected.

If you have confirmed that your medical insurance at home will not cover you on the ship or out of the country, when you book your travel insurance, ask them if they pay primary or secondary. If they say secondary, ask what it costs to make them primary. It was just a few dollars more to upgrade to primary plus increased coverage levels for medical and evacuation. Well worth it to me not to have to hassle with getting reject notices and then filing with your travel insurance. You will get your money much faster. Most travel insurances will, I think, customize a plan for you based on what is important to you as far as coverage. Mine always has.

You think the "foreign graduate" doctor is over priced and under qualified, but you are qualified to dispense another patient's controlled substance to yourself? Really??????

Cheryl....if you read my post correctly...I was reprimanding my own stubborn ignorance for NOT using the ship's doctor! (as it was clearly indicated that I needed him)....and the ache ONLY presented on the day of embarkation (not a day prior)

And....yes...being in a medical family for over 30 years.... I do know what meds I tolerate and "for the most part" need! I knew I needed antibiotic and I knew I needed a strong pain medication. I have had previous experience with Vicodin in the past. I never abuse medication...but respect them 100%. I did not start any antibiotics until after the cruise (which, had I seen the doctor....would have been better for me)

Archived