Trivia Stories

karatemom2

I thought the trivia contest sounded fun so I went... Glad I hung back cause the groups were crazy. I was afraid :) They are very very cut throat. These stories confirm I was not crazy when I decided not to participate and just watch.... :) Think Ill stay at the aft pool and read a book. There at least the only cut throat people are the chair hogs.... :)

I had my first taste of playing trivia on our last cruise - had a ball with another roll call member and the nicest couple in the world. We only won once, but had so much fun that it didn't matter whether we won or lost - we weren't there for the gifts!

Sounds like some others(not posting here BTW), though, need to get a grip on the bigger picture and remember what playing a game is all about!

Although we don't win very much on Princess, we have on other cruise lines. We have a large plastic tote box full of winnings - backpacks, fanny packs, water bottles, photo albums, leather passport holders, silver key chains, you name it, we've got it. I got so tired of having that big box around, I finally gave it all away to family members.

When we have won on recent cruises, we've just given the items away. Who really needs all that stuff anyway?

We play for the fun of it, the interaction with other passengers and in hopes of learning a new tidbit of information. And, to get a laugh out of those that take it too seriously! :D

You may feel bad when you do not know the name of a "football" team supported by someone because it is a question few Americans would know, but think how the non-Americans feel when they hear a question such as "what was the first state to ratify the Constitution?"

Considering 90% of Americans can not answer this question, I do not think that Europeans would be at a disadvantage.

Considering that Carnival owns so many cruise lines and they all play trivia, it should not be that hard to hire a question writer(s). They could fax the questions out to each of the ships every day. This way, the questions stay fresh and back to back cruisers do not hear the same questions over and over. There is no reason that Princess can not ask the same questions as HAL or Cunard.

These days it is not that hard to data mine through Wikipedia or IMDB or a myriad of other online open data sources.

Considering that Carnival owns so many cruise lines and they all play trivia, it should not be that hard to hire a question writer(s). They could fax the questions out to each of the ships every day. This way, the questions stay fresh and back to back cruisers do not hear the same questions over and over. There is no reason that Princess can not ask the same questions as HAL or Cunard.

These days it is not that hard to data mine through Wikipedia or IMDB or a myriad of other online open data sources.

I agree that the questions could really use some updating. By the end of our recent 14 day cruise on the Golden we were getting the same questions over again on the SAME cruise. We kept thinking that they'd do better just using a box of Trivial Pursuit cards. I didn't even know that there was now an electronic versions that someone mentioned here. I think as popular an attraction as trivia is, it might be nice if they put a little bit of a fresher spin on it. I would also love to see more theme trivia (movies, music, TV, etc.).

I agree that the questions could really use some updating. By the end of our recent 14 day cruise on the Golden we were getting the same questions over again on the SAME cruise. We kept thinking that they'd do better just using a box of Trivial Pursuit cards. I didn't even know that there was now an electronic versions that someone mentioned here. I think as popular an attraction as trivia is, it might be nice if they put a little bit of a fresher spin on it. I would also love to see more theme trivia (movies, music, TV, etc.).

They usually do those at night. Didn't they do them on the Golden?

That reminds me...here's a question for the writers:

How many ways can you make change for $1?

Assuming we can give pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and half-dollars, I would guess (100+20+10+4+2) = 136. Probably wrong but this is giving me a headache.:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribill viewpost.gif

You may feel bad when you do not know the name of a "football" team supported by someone because it is a question few Americans would know, but think how the non-Americans feel when they hear a question such as "what was the first state to ratify the Constitution?"

Considering 90% of Americans can not answer this question, I do not think that Europeans would be at a disadvantage.

Shoot I thought it was Texas!!!:D:D:D

I really ecjoy the Trivia contests also. The idea that someone would be allowed to bring her reference book to the game and use it is beyond belief. If the ship employees are not able to cope with it, it is surprising that the other players did not object. I do them for fun but I would have objected. I don;t care what the prize is, cheating is cheating. Gee whiz!!!!!!! Maybe I will just bring my laptop!!!!!!!!!

On the Diamond Princess once ....

A group of ladies we called the "Trivia Queens" because they won almost every game. One afternoon, we show up for "Broadway Show Tunes Trivia" which was "play the song and name the show".

5 of us randomly sat together and it turned out that we were a perfect combination. We each were familiar enough with the topic to come up with the right answer for all of the questions. It was just one of those things, but the Queens were just sure that 2 of the guys were singers/dancers onboard. Oh my, did we get the dagger stares.

They usually do those at night. Didn't they do them on the Golden?

They had a movie poster trivia the first night and a Seinfeld trivia another evening, and on one of the last sea days a movie quote trivia but that was it. On a 14 day cruise there is definitely room for more and I know many of us would have really enjoyed it. The three they did were really fun and well attended.

I heard a story (on Cruise Critic probably) that there was one most-travelled passenger who was also a Trivia buff who used to give the prizes she won as her gratuities at the end of the cruise.

And I know exactly whom you're talking about. :eek: It's not just a "she," it's a Mr. and Mrs.

We also love to play trivia and are oftentimes taken aback by those that take it way too seriously. We always like to join in or form a team -- get to meet some people onboard, some of which have become very good friends.

One time, we walked in about 10 minutes before the festivities were to begin. We are a couple around 45 but have been told we look young for our age. Nobody, I mean nobody, would let us join their team. Our age??? What we were wearing??? Did we smell bad??? No -- just took a shower. So, these two older ladies might have felt sorry for us and asked if we would join them. They were so sweet and when our neighbor walked in....they welcomed him into our newly formed group as well. Ha!! We took all....beat them all by a mile. It was such a team effort --- what one didn't know, another one did.

So, even though that only happened one time where we were immediately ostricized (spelling?), it has stuck in my mind. You can never quite judge a book by its cover. It was the most rewarding win of all times!! We have gone on to win several trivia games and also have lost our share. Either way....it is just a game, all in good fun and a great way to meet others on the ship. Too funny that some people take it oh, so seriously. I guess that is all part of the entertainment. :D

My wife and I always participate in the Broadway trivia (working as a team of 2). One year we scored 39 out of 40 and knew no one else could have possibly beaten us. Ended out a team of 5 scored 40/40, they were the artistic staff from the Papermill Playhouse in New Jersey!

I loved it when the pianist on Golden did the Broadway/West End trivia live. When he saw that he had some knowledgeable folks in the room he started the really obscure stuff. Made it a lot more fun. We gave the champagne to the runner-up team.

Richard

They had a movie poster trivia the first night and a Seinfeld trivia another evening, and on one of the last sea days a movie quote trivia but that was it. On a 14 day cruise there is definitely room for more and I know many of us would have really enjoyed it. The three they did were really fun and well attended.

That sounds interesting, much better than the Trivia options that Royal Caribbean and Celebrity had.

So far, I think the best Trivia has been on the Oosterdam. I like it when they have different themes to the trivia. I like the idea of doing movie poster trivia and stuff like that.

I like to play the trivia games just to find out how much I really don't know and how much I really do know. It surprises me sometimes. I also think it's funny the way people argue enough about the cheap ship prizes that are given away. I do have to say the best prizes we used to get were pencil cases, mugs, and luggage belts. Now all they seem to give away are luggage tags and tote bags. I have so many I can't give them away any more. The last cruise we didn't win one trivia game. There was this one team who won just about every one. One of the ladies on the team was also the most cruised with over 10,000 days on Princess ships. She's heard it all before.

Archived