How do you feel about the recent crusie deal....I HATE THEM!

kooljamming

OMGOSH, these deals are coming out of left field. I spent my life dreaming about seeing some of these deals but I can't take advantage of them. To heck with the economy, I would take the ship and keep the memories. However we are low on vacation time, kids are in school, and we are committed to two land summer vacations: Playa Del Carmen and San Fransisco. Please tell me these deals are working for someone so I can be happy for you. Right now I am just mad to watch my ship sail to all sorts of kool ports. It's not all for nothing, we set sail in 21 days on the Sapphire Princess:D

Well when we initially booked a few weeks ago, we booked a balcony cabin for $1499. Last week, our price dropped AND we were upgraded for just over $900. Not quite the 2-for-1 everyone else is getting in on, but it was still a great deal - especially since we're both first-timers! And now we wait...for months. :-)

OMGOSH, these deals are coming out of left field. I spent my life dreaming about seeing some of these deals but I can't take advantage of them. To heck with the economy, I would take the ship and keep the memories. However we are low on vacation time, kids are in school, and we are committed to two land summer vacations: Playa Del Carmen and San Fransisco. Please tell me these deals are working for someone so I can be happy for you. Right now I am just mad to watch my ship sail to all sorts of kool ports. It's not all for nothing, we set sail in 21 days on the Sapphire Princess:D

I'm so sorry to hear that you cannot take advantage of any deals coming your way. Our family is going to Alaska on the Golden this summer. YAHOOO! I will be boarding the Sapphire on the 21st of February the day you are leaving. Take good care of her ok? LOL have fun on your MR cruise!

We are in the same boat, except for having no definite plans for our vacation as they rely on coordinating with extended family plans. But there is a time for every season, and we can't all take advantage of the deals.

I am happy for all of you who can get a good deal. We've gotten several over the years of cruising and you never know when they will come.

Happy Cruising everyone!

I know how you feel as to not being able to take advantage of all the recent past passenger deals. I'm a teacher and the summer is SO short! Still, you asked, so I will say that we managed to get a bunch of friends booked onto the Caribbean Princess for Spring Break in March (aft Caribe for me- YAHOO!) and a family group going on the Golden to Alaska in July. Now...if only I had the cash for Europe! :)

I know what you mean - I am building the house of my dreams (signed before the economy went south) and I can't get away as I can barely keep up with the decisions being here. I have no clue how long it will take to unpack and keep the sod alive, etc...And then July-September is my busy season. Uggh! The Europe deals are killing me!

I have been wanting to take my son on a nice cruise. He is 25 and single. I am divorced. I'm not a rich guy; I usually travel with my best friend to split the costs. I thought I would have to settle for a shorter cruise to the Caribbean or even the Bahamas since I was now paying for two instead of one.

In the back of my mind I kept trying to figure out a way to get us on an Alaskan cruise. That was my favorite cruise. I wanted to share the scenery with him.

But the prices for Alaska were a lot higher than anywhere else. I had traveled on the Caribbean Princess in 2005 and it was my favorite ship. Loved the ship layout and had a balcony cabin near the Terrace Pool on the back.

I did not receive any email from Princess about the 2 for 1 deal. But I started seeing it discussed on these boards.

So I went to Princess and without logging in, the balcony rate was 1049 pp.on the Golden Princess out of Seattle during the time we want to go.

Then I log in, and presto, the rate is 634 pp.

I immediately booked and got the same cabin location that I had on the CP.

So bottom line, I got my favorite itinerary on my favorite ship (as far as layout) and I can afford to treat my son to the trip.

The next day I found out that the Golden Princess is being totally refurbished in April and ours will be the first Alaska cruise after the makeover.

And the icing on the cake was when Southwest ran their Seattle Supersale last Tuesday and I got air from Nashville to Seattle for 69 bucks pp each way...a little over 300 for both of us. That saved 400 bucks from what they charged the day before and the day after the sale.

So I am thrilled to find these bargains. I will have less than 2 grand in the entire trip. That gives me extra money for better excursions.

THANKS PRINCESS AND SOUTHWEST!!!

We felt like we needed to take advantage of the specials and got our 2 for 1 cruisetour booking on the Island Princess and then a 6 day land tour for this coming Aug. We are really happy about the cost. The only drawback is the airfare into Vancouver or Seattle and then back after the land tour from Fairbanks. The Seattle air round trip will be ok. One way from Fairbanks to Seattle is more than the entire roundtrip to and from Seattle. I guess we can wait a bit and hope prices will go down as we get closer to the time.

We are (hopefully) going to take advantage of the 12-night Grand Mediterranean. In all honesty, we were not planning on taking any kind of big vacation this year as we did the Caribbean last year, Alaska the year before and a land based vacation to Hawaii the year before all with 2 DS. However, when we got off the Caribbean Princess in July, we looked at the Ruby for our cruise and it was so expensive given our recent travel. A couple weeks ago, the prices was almost half! We booked our rooms because we probably won't get that deal again. Now, I say hopefully because there is a lot going on with my husband's work right now and if things go south we will need to cancel, but for now I am being cautiously optimistic.

I am cautiously optomistic also. Don't know what situation we'll be in 3 months, but I made the reservation just in case.

I have future cruise credits, $100pp ($200 total), and a $200 deposit ready, so I just took advantage of that for a non risk reservation.

I found a British Isles 12 day cruise, BA Caribe balcon cabin, quad, $5600 total, or $1700 for first two people, June trip. Totally AMAZING.

Ever since then, prices have been creeping back up, and the BA cabins aren't discounted on our cruise anymore. The web price for past passengers is about $11,500 for a quad now.

I don't think we'll see these prices again!

With Frequent flier miles, its cheaper than a nice Mexico all inclusive. WOW.

Now, we will need to see how our jobs are before we make final payment.

I hope it works out, wish me luck.

More than anything I wanted to do the Alaska cruise. Passing on the deal was quite painful but I am happy to know others can make it. I got an email today with Alaska round trip from Seattle starting at $599. I am happy with the deal on our current cruise. I hate when life gets in the way of cruising or any vacation:D

We were able to take advantage of the great prices to Alaska and booked the Golden for September. We are paying for the 2 of us what we paid for one of us in 2005. The best part is we were able to get an aft balcony at this price!! Gotta love these great deals. We are going on the Golden in March to Hawaii and with the price decreases before final payment we saved $800. So happy to be going to two of my favorite destinations this year.

Just curious. What is the consensus? Overall, do we think cruise prices will go down or up? The economy has not showed any signs of picking up. However, if people are booking the ships, prices will remain as they always have. Any thoughts?

Well, we are now looking at Golden for beginning of Aug. My dh and I have an RCCL booked for just the 2 of us for an inside for about $2000. We decided to check out the Princess prices (got an email) and we can get 2 insides so we can take the kids for just about $2500. I think we will be changing our AK plans for the 3rd time. :D Since we live in Seattle, we just keep looking for the best deals. Now, it is becoming hard to choose. Frankly, we aren't concerned about the itinerary. We just want to see Alaska. Don't know why since it is so similar to WA State. :confused:;):)

It is KILLING me...all the great deals and no time to take a cruise. My DH is a school administrator so we are limited to the month of July....his other few scattered times off are not long enough to fly somewhere and cruise. This year I have gone back to school, and will be in school all summmer.....bummer! And the brochures just keep rolling in with each day's mail....the latest offered up-grade to Platinum status!

My wife and I have been saying that "some year we'll do a Princess Alaska cruise/tour". But, do to finances, etc. we thought it was several years away. However, this deal came over my desk last week that we both agreed we couldn't pass up. 12 night roiund trip from Seattle cruise tour with a 7 night cruise, 2 nights at Denali Lodge, 2 nights at Mt. McKinley Lodge and an overnight in Seattle in a mini-suite for under $4,000. total. Can't beat it.

Needless to say, we're scrimping and saving now :)

I'm glad some folks are getting the deals. We booked an August cruise last year and cannot get any deal on it at all. None whatsoever. We're taking a cruisetour, and the ones on sale do not feature what our booking has ... and many are elements important to us this time. So we're stuck paying "full fare" (with a bit of a TA discount.) :(

Just curious. What is the consensus? Overall, do we think cruise prices will go down or up? The economy has not showed any signs of picking up. However, if people are booking the ships, prices will remain as they always have. Any thoughts?

I think as long as passengers start booking last minute (months in advance not years in advance). The price will either stay down or Princess will offer less sailings inorder to fill ships. Cut backs are the way of the world right now for all industries. As far as all of these deals that they are offering My wife and I are taking a repo cruise from San Juan to New York in May for only 499.99 pp. Since we only have to fly one way it is a real bargin. I think we are seeing all of these longer itinerary offers because they are usually popular with seniors who have the time to travel for 2 or more weeks. They are the passengers that got hit hard with the decline of the stock market. In November on the Caribbean Princess I spoke with a few retired passengers who did the B2B Southern Caribbean cruise and they were very concerned about their savings. Some told us that this would be their last cruise for a while. I have also received discount offers from HAL which also attracts mature passengers.

We were not planning on go to Alaska this year(have been 6 times) but with these rates could not pass it up. So a 7 day on the Golden in May works out great for us and then Southwest was have a airfare 1/2 off deal that was only on for 3 days; so got that rate. We were extremely lucky that the cruise and airfare was so darn cheap for us.

Marilyn

Overall I think cruise prices will stay down, however the current offers might be once in a lifetime. The lower prices is a result of the economy but also many of the mass market lines are following the trend of mega all inclusive resorts. They are building them big, filling them cheap while cutting back on extras. I usually don't bother to check the deals on summer sailings because they are pricey for a family of 4. Princess is offering 7 nights in August for $499 so $2500 for our family:D I am sure we could pick up a reasonable flight or even drive to Seattle. So now I am thinking how is Alaska in August?

CruisinEars - I might be seeing ya. I didn't check the summer dates until I read these post, so thanks.

Archived